My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well that certainly is a lot of words

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So would you rather have Gay or Murray? I realize these play completely different positions but we just signed him to a deal for 2 yr 32 mil or 16 mil a year. I think this would be his floor as Gay only avg 14 7 and 3 last year. I think Murray can get his pretty easily next year with more ast and steals. The big advantage Gay had was we did not have much to replace him as with Murray we have White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should the Detroit Pistons offer Bruce Brown 15mil per year extension? Cause he basically the same player as Murray, Murray just so over hyped!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Rich Paul let's Murray take 4/60.

I'd be comfortable with 4/68 or even 4/72 with unlikely bonuses that could get it to 80. All-star game, Finals appearance, MVP, etc. 17 flat a year with the max 15% of unlikely bonuses would be 4/78.2 million

Speaking of bonuses and salaries, Rudy Gay's 2/32 deal must have had some unlikely bonuses or just plain mis-reported, because Sham and ESPN Trade Machine have his deal as 2/29 with an even 14.5 per year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Looney was a good comp. tbh He got a decent amount of buzz after his finals performance yet still only got around $5 million. If Jakob comes off the bench then his value will be further suppressed. He may not get a lot in RFA. A 4 year $ 25 million may be market value and a steal for the Spurs considering he looks like a potential future starting 5.
    I like how Jakob is still underrated :-)) Spurs won't get him for 6 million per. Teams like the Warriors or the Sixers will offer him at least 10 Million per in FA. I also can see him leaving to Toronto and his buddy Pascal, where Gasol and Ibaka will be gone. Should be interesting if it's so easy for the Spurs to get a C like him again.
    Last edited by ragas; 10-21-2019 at 01:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how Jakob is still underrated :-)) Spurs won't get him for 6 million per. Teams like the Warriors or the Sixers will offer him at least 10 Million per in FA. I also can see him leaving to Toronto and his buddy Pascal, where Gasol and Ibaka will be gone. Should be interesting if it's so easy for the Spurs to get a C like him again.
    Warriors and Sixers are both capped out, and can only offer minimum, or use their exceptions.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors and Sixers are both capped out, and can only offer minimum, or use their exceptions.
    You're right. Didn't look at that. But I'm pretty sure that Poeltl won't sign for 5 millionen per year and that he gets more money somewhere else if the Spurs don't offer more than that, because I don't agree with the common Spurs Talk opinion that his skillset can easily be found. But what do I know...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams don't generally go for RFAs early in the off-season, unless they have higher upside like, potientially, Murray. Often times, teams spend their cap and end up limiting RFAs options. GSW and Philly certainly aren't going to be able to a big offer and I don't teams are going to offer the full MLE for Jakob (around $9 million). I think he ends up being squeezed and taking around 4 years, $25 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right. Didn't look at that. But I'm pretty sure that Poeltl won't sign for 5 millionen per year and that he gets more money somewhere else if the Spurs don't offer more than that, because I don't agree with the common Spurs Talk opinion that his skillset can easily be found. But what do I know...
    The Spurs policy on most RFAs is to let the market set the price. They will make him an offer, wait to see if he gets a better one, and if he does, they'll decide if it fits into their cap plan. If it does, they'll match, but they won't ever bid against themselves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know very different players, but 4 / $94mm to Hield just set the market

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know very different players, but 4 / $94mm to Hield just set the market
    IMO, his contract pushes Murray's value down a little bit. Hield is the exact type of player teams covet right now and him not getting closer to the max is a sign that agents think the market is going to be tight. Murray's team can't push for $80 million when Hield got $86 million plus potential bonuses. If Hield would have gotten the $110 million he wanted, then maybe the Murray math changes. As it turns out, $50-60 million is still the max range the Spurs should offer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, his contract pushes Murray's value down a little bit. Hield is the exact type of player teams covet right now and him not getting closer to the max is a sign that agents think the market is going to be tight. Murray's team can't push for $80 million when Hield got $86 million plus potential bonuses. If Hield would have gotten the $110 million he wanted, then maybe the Murray math changes. As it turns out, $50-60 million is still the max range the Spurs should offer.
    can you explain what Murray has done so far that he should get 10 million more than Poeltl? Except being traded from the Spurs? His stats including his percentages (Ft, 3p) aren‘t overwhelming. So what makes him that special?

I don‘t get the difference what the Spurs should offer. If Poeltl is worth 5 Million than Murray isn‘t worth 15. That‘s my point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can you explain what Murray has done so far that he should get 10 million more than Poeltl? Except being traded from the Spurs? His stats including his percentages (Ft, 3p) aren‘t overwhelming. So what makes him that special?
    Poeltl is just unlucky. If he were born ten years earlier, he'd be the one looking at taking home the big bucks.

But in today's NBA, traditional centers who don't shoot don't make much money. It's becoming especially drastic the last two summers, where decent traditional centers have to rummage around to find a contract worth more than the minimum.

If Poeltl wants to get paid next summer, he needs something to happen to interrupt the Pace and Space era. Maybe something like the Sixers winning the championship with Embiid leading the way could help push Poeltl's value up. As it is, though, teams just aren't that interested in centers that don't shoot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean it‘s not that Murray shot the lights out so far. And he‘s a PG. So that‘s no argument. And Poeltl‘s impact is more than counting stats like points. If you look at the advanced numbers it’s obvious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown has agreed to a four-year, $115M million contract extension, agent Jason Glushon tells ESPN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics are gonna crash and burn lol I like jaylin brown but 115 million is way to much

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown has agreed to a four-year, $115M million contract extension, agent Jason Glushon tells ESPN.
    Jaylen making almost $30 a year... a guy who’s shown zero improvement since his rookie year and posts neutral to negative advanced stats. A mid-40s shooter who is a decent three point shooter albeit on low volume, rebound well or pass well. Jeez.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sabonis signs 4y for 75mil
    85 with bonuses
    Last edited by ragas; 10-21-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is today the last day for this? Saw Jaylen Brown get 115M/4yr and Buddy Hield get 96M/4yr today.

Would love to see us lock Dejounte up for anything under 80M/4yr. Now is the time to pay him before he breaks out this year and we’re forced to match him for something ridiculous..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope with all these extensions coming through, some of them surprisingly (Jaylen and Sabonis), that we don’t hear DeRozan news. It’s the right move to not extend him, see how this year starts, then make a determination at the trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You haven't seen an example where a player's second contract was paid with the assumption that the player would "grow into it?" I think if that's true it's missing the trees for the forest. I think our whole perception of what makes a "fair" second contract already includes the bump for potential. Like Wiggins was maxed because Minny thought he would eventually become a non-negative player. Jamal Murray was maxed out because the Nuggets believe he'll go from solidly above average to being a legit star. Not every second deal is like Jokic, Derrick Rose or Kawhi where guys are superstars or already have hardware to justify their deals even if they didn't improve substantially.

I'm not trying to say that production doesn't matter at all. The lack of production is why we aren't debate a max extension for Murray instead of $13M or $25M per year. But I believe young players are usually signed more off narrative than anything else. Murray's narrative is stronger than his NBA history (something for which he's gotten praise and criticism on this board for years now). I think his actual value to the Spurs is higher than PGs who've changed teams this year because their previous clubs didn't seem to want them badly enough. In that same way, Jamal Murray and Pascal Siakam both got maxes more because their teams did well last year than because those guys put up elite statistical production.

I think the best comp for a Murray extension might be Aaron Gordon. He had a strong narrative going for him despite not having a lot of production (13/5/2 with negative impact stats on a TS% of 53). The Magic gave him a $76M/4 deal. Under a 2020 cap, that projects to be around $86M/4. Schoder's extension in today's money is $82M/4. I'd be okay with Murray getting something like that on an extension, because even he he doesn't live up to it, it wouldn't be a horrible deal to have lying around. I'd be elated if you were correct, because that might be the best extension since Curry's. And I'm not all that bullish on DJM, but I can't ride with the idea that he should be content signed a long-term deal with the same APY as Danny Green.
    I have to agree with you Chinook on all this and other previous statements made on this matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That could help Dejounte...

Sabonis signs 4y for 75mil
    85 with bonuses
    Ouch. That hurts Dejounte. It'd be tough to make the argument that Dejounte should make more than Sabonis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    64/4 contract A+++ for the spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope with all these extensions coming through, some of them surprisingly (Jaylen and Sabonis), that we don’t hear DeRozan news. It’s the right move to not extend him, see how this year starts, then make a determination at the trade deadline.
    T-minus 84 minutes, amigo. I'm okay with them not extending Murray as long as they don't extend DeRozan.

prayingdog.jpg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good call, OP.

Thread Information