My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/preview-pr...urs-2019-2020/

I'm a bit more optimistic than most, probably.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great read! I am pumped ... but not 50wins pumped ... I do not think that happens.

And you have Murray and White playing together an average of 1 minute per game!

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7:30 can’t come soon enough. I’m with you on the 50 wins and I think Dejounte scores 14 a game

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the read!
    Can't entirely share your optimism but hopefully you are right

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm conditionally wildly optimistic.

Last year before the season my bold prediction was that if Murray & White averaged at least a combined 50 minutes and 75 games each they would win 50 games. Of course they arguably were better than that because of their final record with a combined 67 games and 26 mpg. But this year some accounting for decline in Aldridge and Gay should be taken into consideration

Now I think if Murray, White, and Walker averaged a combined 70-75 minutes over 75 games they could win high 50s, more in the improved west might be too much. They probably only average 50-55 minutes for all three unfortunately.

When I look at White, I see how the DEC 22 loss at Houston was the turning point for me. That was the game where he was incredible and changing the game in a big way. Of course Pop wouldn't match his minutes to Harden, and Pop could assign minutes this year in a way equally frustrating or worse.

In the 24 contests before that game, he wasn't especially good, and the Spurs had a 12-12 record. White averaged 21.2 minutes a game, 5.9 points (41% fg, 23.7% 3pt), 2.7r and 3.5 assists. And in the 15 games that White didn't play in, they were 7-8.

But starting with and including that Houston loss is when he turned it all around and his final 43 games he averaged 28.4 minutes, 12.1 pts (50.4% fg, 37.5% 3pt), 4.3r and 4.2 assists. Without White playing like he did I think they miss the playoffs easily. In those 43 games they went 29-14, a 67.4% win percentage, or equivalent to a 55 win season.

That's how important White was to their winning. Without White at all or with him playing his way into health and into being comfortable at the NBA level, they were a .500 team or worse. With him in his groove, they played like a top 2 seed. And they were very close to beating the 54-win Denver team. They should have won with those 18 point leads in game 2.

With White and with Murray and if Walker was given priority over Marco and Mills, I am confident they could rack up a ton of wins.

But if Pop insists on keeping Murray and White in splittsville and having only 48 minutes a game from them combined, I don't feel so confident. Not that Mills or Marco can't ever be parts of productive bench units in the regular season, but they are a speed-limiter on the roster potential of getting more minutes for both Murray and White as well as getting Walker going. Best thing that could happen to the Spurs for me would be some scenario where Mills and Marco are unavailable to play for a 15-20 game stretch to start the year and the backcourt is simplified to Murray-Forbes-White-Walker with DeRozan and Carroll at SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    solid write up, I hope multiple players outperform your predictions. Let's hope Murray/White/Walker make huge improvements during the season, Pop plays good line ups, one of Carroll/Lyles surprises and the Spurs can make a midseason trade for another 3-and-D forward. I think what we mostly have to watch is the road record. This team was terrible on the road last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure both White and Lonnie will be neutered by the old man for a while again, the team isn't making the playoffs without further improvement from Derrick and their ceiling is severely capped if Lonnie is relegated to an "energy role" behind Beli, Mills, and Forbes.

Here's hoping his usual early season senility is broken by mid-November instead of mid-December tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte Murray is the key. His projected s om can make a solid, Spurs team, all of a sudden a dangerous team in the West, and a tough out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great read, kudos!

Really hoping that lonnie skywalker breaks out and especially hoping for a healthy squad.

These seasons are going to be like before the spurs won any rings and it was just about really being a fan and realistically understanding there are no mvps/superstars on the team - and understanding they just don’t grow on trees.

Timmy on the team is just a nice bonus IMO!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie Walker IV
    ……."opportunity to win a regular spot in the rotation. Will it happen? If he plays stout defense, proves himself capable of shooting threes and uses his elite athleticism to change games, Walker could become impossible for the coaches to overlook."

But of course if Patty and DD do none of this their minutes remain the same.
    Well they can't use their "elite athleticism" so how about 2 out of 3?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This season is very hard to handicap. The keys to reach 50 wins in my view fall on 3 players.

1. Murray - As I fully expect, he should have a breakout season & expecting his scoring to jump between 15 & 18 points a game with a much improved jump shot. His defense will be even better and should improve the Spurs paltry rankings from last year.

2. White - He needs to become more consistent and confident in his abilities. I'm not as high on him as others because mentally, he needs to get tougher. He definitely has the tools but you can't discount the importance of confidence in ones game.

3. Walker - I know it's only his 2nd year but he absolutely needs to play and I believe he will win the coaches over by mid-season. He has too many tools to be left on the sideline and fits well next to Murray or White. He is the wildcard of the bunch because of his talent and whether he can gain Pop's trust. His defense in preseason was a step in the right direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very optimistic and I agree. The league is once again dismissing the Spurs, as always, but we have continuity with key players coming back, and that should win them more games. I’m calling the Spurs the dark horse and could realistically beat ANYONE if all cylinders are clicking. But it would require competing through 48 minutes. I think Timmy in the staff should help restore that defensive, championship pride. Murray is hungry and Demar is practically on a contract year. Everybody will be playing with a chip on their shoulder, and would, hopefully, give them that fuel to get to the next level.

Clippers
    Nuggets
    Spurs
    Lakers
    Trailblazers
    Jazz
    Warriors
    Rockets
    Kings looking in

Will win the matchup with Jazz in the 1st round, avenge against Nuggets in the 2nd round. If basketball gods are smiling, beat (injury prone) Clippers in the WCF. And meet Giannis in the Finals. Anything can happen. GSG!
    Last edited by John B; 10-23-2019 at 11:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article thank you! I’m pumped for this year!

last year I was pumped until Murray got hurt. That let the air out completely. To still have managed 48 wins was pretty incredible especially considering how bad we looked at the beginning. So I can definitely see us be 50 win team if we don’t have such a horrendous start to the season.

i hope we get to see this lineup one day. Not so much starting but just at some point in the game.
    Murray, White, Derozan/Walker, Gay/Carrol, Aldridge

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s going to be an up-and-down season, as pop experiments with different lineups and fascinations.

Right now he’s trying to see if Trey is a player, and that could take about 15 to 20 games to figure out.

After that point I can see him being more open to playing walker more, as well as other adjustments… But that is just a guess. Even though Pop is predictable, he’s also in other ways hard to predict.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp! I share your optimism. If the Spurs can stay healthy, and if the young guys can play to their potential, I think this team can be pretty good. There's a nice mix of veterans and youth on this squad.

Thread Information