My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/demar-dero...eat-2019-2020/

tl;dr: Probably more but not probably not a noteworthy improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How could he shoot any less?

Preseason having not come close to his Toronto clip plus the 1st icebreaker trey being a forced shot (shot clock rundown) it certainly appears virtually no planned changes from last year. Surprise us.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really felt flukey to me.. if not than great for the team but the sample size was not nearly enough

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still more than double the rate he shot them at last season, but not enough to have much of an impact.

Those three makes against Memphis were all assisted, catch and shoot 3's. When he took a lot more 3's in his last year with Toronto, only about 2/3 of his 3P attempts were assisted - and he made just above 30% of them. If he's going to be shooting many 3's off the dribble, I wouldn't count on his percentage to be much higher than that. And if he's going to be sitting out beyond the arc, waiting to be fed by Forbes... well, I just don't see him spending much time out beyond the arc, waiting to be fed 3P attempts by Forbes.

I'll be happy if he takes more 3's. But not if he's shooting 31% or whatever it was he shot that last year in Toronto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will take more shots, I guess. In theory, he has the strength and is tall enough to take threes off the dribble even on his ISO actions. The problem is he doesn't have the mechanics to make them, almost nobody makes them off the dribble with a wrist only action, which is how he shoots.

He might have a few spot up threes from the corner, and he will probably make them at a decent rate. Not enought to space the offense, though.

Anyway, one is better than zero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm cool with him attempting about 3 3s per game. Just gotta shoot them when he's open to keep the defense honest

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm cool with him attempting about 3 3s per game. Just gotta shoot them when he's open to keep the defense honest
    well, if he is not making at least 33% the defense will not close out ... they will let him shoot just like Draymond or Russell ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good lord just trade this guy already

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean he only shot 40 something 3's last year. The overwhelming majority of his 3's need to be catch and shoot 3's. And he needs a decent volume...at least 4 a game...for it to even matter...

Yes he will shoot more 3's but unless the volume is decent and they are almost exclusively catch and shoot it won't matter much...

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he shoots 3 a game that would be rudyesque and i think enough to make defenses hesitate a bit if not adjust

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've enjoyed the pessimism heading into this regular season tbh

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has the strength and is tall enough to take threes off the dribble even on his ISO actions. The problem is he doesn't have the mechanics to make them,
    almost nobody makes them off the dribble with a wrist only action, which is how he shoots.

He might have a few spot up threes from the corner, and he will probably make them at a decent rate.
    Not enought to space the offense, though.

Anyway, one is better than zero.

Exactly right on both counts.

The problem is, there's also a lot of realism.

Patty Mills 18-19 playoffs: 3-22 from 3P.
    2 years, $26M left on his contact.
    Pop loves putting him in to close games.
    That alone should make you a pessimist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really felt flukey to me.. if not than great for the team but the sample size was not nearly enough
    I took it the opposite. I was very pleased to see a 3 for 3 outting and not to mention they were all well-timed, good-form catch and shoot 3's (exactly what we need from him). I think half of his shortcomings come from the mental aspect of his game. He just would rather penetrate or post up in a game but he is at a point in his career I think he can be implement that mental aspect in his game now that we have some guards that can penetrate well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/demar-dero...eat-2019-2020/

tl;dr: Probably more but not probably not a noteworthy improvement.

Its almost virtually impossible for him to shoot less 3s than last year!

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still more than double the rate he shot them at last season, but not enough to have much of an impact.

Those three makes against Memphis were all assisted, catch and shoot 3's. When he took a lot more 3's in his last year with Toronto, only about 2/3 of his 3P attempts were assisted - and he made just above 30% of them. If he's going to be shooting many 3's off the dribble, I wouldn't count on his percentage to be much higher than that. And if he's going to be sitting out beyond the arc, waiting to be fed by Forbes... well, I just don't see him spending much time out beyond the arc, waiting to be fed 3P attempts by Forbes.

I'll be happy if he takes more 3's. But not if he's shooting 31% or whatever it was he shot that last year in Toronto.
    If DDR is going to share the floor with Murray and White, he needs to be a credible catch-and-shoot threat. I'm not worried about him developing (or more accurately, not developing) a pull-up three.

I could say the same about Murray and White themselves fwiw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Because the ball is now in Murray’s hands in contrast to Demar forced to playing combo guard and facilitate. The smooth flow of offense would require Demar to shoot the open 3’s, least his defender would sag on him. Tony learned to shoot the 3 with accuracy and he had worst form than Demar. More so, it is contract year with Demar in the NBA when 3 pointers are valued at it’s best. He has no choice but be better if he hopes to increase his stock. I am rooting for him to make them 3’s. I’vevsaid before, if his 3’s are money, this team becomes top 4 seed and even better. Now let’s discuss his lockdown defense.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already in midseason form

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he doesn’t have to do point guard duties, and opposing defenses are collapsing in the paint against LA, then yeah I think he’ll have a lot more catch and shoot three point opportunities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The problem is, there's also a lot of realism.

Patty Mills 18-19 playoffs: 3-22 from 3P.
    2 years, $26M left on his contact.
    Pop loves putting him in to close games.
    That alone should make you a pessimist.
    Don't forget Pop probably taking 30-40 games to learn how to fully utilize Lonnie.

Already in midseason form
    bene knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a cynic & pessimist when it comes to the Spurs so I'll say "NO." He & Lamarcus are who they are & won't change their games for the betterment of the team. They're just going to play how they play and that's it.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the answer is no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good lord just trade this guy already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan would be an attribute if he was the Lou Williams of the Spurs. Lou comes off the bench, makes $8mil/year and is accepted as a defensive liability. Their career scoring rates per 36 minutes are almost identical, and their career Defensive Ratings are identical. The difference, of course, would be the extra $19 mil the Spurs could use building their roster. Lou is really a pretty average 3 point shooter-- about 35% for his career-- but he's not afraid to take them.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...01&idx=players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't have to shoot a ton of them but at least 3-4 attempts per game to keep the defence honest wouldn't hurt.

Thread Information