Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...vo4-story.html

Marcus Morris made himself the enemy of the Spurs in the summer, and, as dictated by the NBA schedulers, drew them on opening night at the AT&T Center.

He expects the crowd to boo him Wednesday. In San Antonio, the hate has transferred from Kawhi Leonard to Marcus Morris.

“No hard feelings. No disrespect toward them,” Morris said. “If I was them, I’d boo me too.”

Morris, 29, took an unconventional and controversial path in free agency over the summer. He agreed to terms on a two-year, $20 million deal with the Spurs, who traded an intriguing prospect, Davis Bertans, to create the necessary space.

Then Morris changed his mind — a no-no according to the unwritten code of NBA negotiating ethics — and signed with the Knicks on a one-year, $15 million pact.

The fallout was multi-layered. Morris and his agent, Rich Paul, parted ways. The Spurs were reportedly pissed at the Knicks for poaching their signing. The Knicks, according to sources, felt justified because they believed the Spurs tampered with Kristaps Porzingis while he was still under contract.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, one of the NBA’s most influential figures, called it “an unfortunate situation that was handled unprofessionally on a couple different levels.”

As such, Morris will be centerstage on opening night, the only time the Knicks travel to San Antonio this season. It’s the Marcus Morris Game and he’s happy to get it over with.

“In the first game, it’s great,” he said. “I don’t have to go back there, I don’t have to see it anymore.”

Regarding his choice to reject the Spurs for the Knicks, Morris said being closer to his Philly roots was a factor. His salary this season is also $15 million higher (although that translates to less when factoring in New York taxes vs. Texas taxes).

There’s also less security with the Knicks deal. In San Antonio, Morris would’ve had a $10 million player option for next season. Now he’ll definitely be an unrestricted free agent in 2020.

“Everywhere I’ve been I’ve bet on myself. Woulda bet on myself if I went to San Antonio. I’d still be betting on myself with a one-year deal with that option,” Morris said. “Here, I like what the guys are doing. The confidence I have in upper management, great conversations. I’m all about helping them restart and rebuild and being a leader of a team. I just think this is a great opportunity, I’m closer to home. I just feel like I’m made for New York.”

Morris spent much of his career playing at a salary below his value after negotiating a bizarre contract with the Phoenix Suns in 2014. Morris and his twin brother, Markieff, were signed as a package deal. It paid Marcus just $20 million over four years, a steal considering he developed into a 30-minute per game contributor on playoff teams.

For Morris, pissing off the Spurs was an unintended consequence of finally getting paid what he deserves.

“I was in Detroit I averaged 14 (points) a game. When I was in Boston, I averaged 14 a game. That’s not saying what my numbers were in the playoffs because I’m sure they were better,” Morris said. “At the end of the day, you go through different paths in the league. I wouldn’t change anything about it. Everybody wants more money and you see that right now. But I’m here right now, I played myself into a good contract and I just want to help this team win.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. Because he's definitely gonna receive some Nephew level booing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll be about about 5000 miles away, but I’ll be booing loudly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, he's not good enough to be boo'd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Booing him gives him too much respect. He would’ve helped us, not like a franchise changing loss like Nephew.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s definitely getting booed. Every time he touches it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Booing him gives him too much respect. He would’ve helped us, not like a franchise changing loss like Nephew.
    I mean he's no Kawhi, but his -ass move turned our offseason from an A to like a C-.

I'd boo him if I were there.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not worth booing tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, he's not good enough to be boo'd
    word

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is nice to start the season with a win.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will this be before or after the fat whales in the stands are fed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s still a huge got. Hopefully he injures himself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    er doesn't even acknowledge that he made us get rid of Bertans for nothing. ing piece of .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stopped reading when I got to the drivel about him trusting Knicks management. LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    er doesn't even acknowledge that he made us get rid of Bertans for nothing. ing piece of .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least he's being honest. We now have big hole at PF cause of the he pulled. Can you imagine how good this team would be with a 15/7 guy at PF who can play good defense?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least he's being honest. We now have big hole at PF cause of the he pulled. Can you imagine how good this team would be with a 15/7 guy at PF who can play good defense?
    And handle the ball well for a pf, shoot the 3, iso, finish at the rim, play multiple positions, and brings an edge to the team? Yeah. That would be nice.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's lucky it's not the old Baseline Bums days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should get his jersey retired. He did us a huge favor.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially not compared to the Number Two pulled.

Boo the man when he's announced in the starting lineup, maybe a bit when he touches the ball the first few times, then ignore him the rest of the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Potential contender with good production at the PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Self-aware s bag

Thread Information