Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The great Rebecca Lynn Hammon was a great PG in her day, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't mind Antonio Daniels chipping in here and there. He still lives in SA I believe. Granted he is busy with nba radio too.
    Nah how about we get a good of to mentor him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid still has to improve on his playmaking skills, 3-point shot and ball handling, but he's a great defender and his midrange jumper is coming along. He'll improve as the season progresses. That deal still looks like a good value deal to me, because I expect him to improve consistently
    Sometimes I want the Spurs to sign a horrific deal so you can see what an albatross really is. A 16 million per year deal to one of the best defensive guards in the NBA is never it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sour on the deal yet, he's making some progress, and the deal was for a projection of him getting better due to his age and experience

BUT

It is a shame that there's no former NBA point guards on the bench as an assistant coach to help him develop those skills, which he needs. There's not even an old vet point guard on the roster to mentor him. White is trying to get his own career going and Mills has never been a point guard.

I wonder if he's getting all the help he needs or if he's developing slower than hoped because he has no one to really turn to or learn from.
    Agreed. He needs to be working on that BBIQ harder than his shot or handles, but it's hard to do on your own. Pop doesn't coach the same these days and can't teach him the inworks of the position either. I would really hate for the Spurs to trade for CP3, but he's exactly the mentor Dejounte needs and you see it with Shai's improved game. I would've much rather used the MLE money on an old vet PG if neither him nor Carrol would see the floor anyways...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Antonio Daniels has a full-time tv gig with New Orleans, but even more importantly was never a true point guard, and Pop actively didn't want him as a point guard.

Didn't DeRozan study Andre Miller this summer or am I imagining things? He's the kind of guy I'm thinking about. Minor Spurs connections as a player, longtime working knowledge with Aldridge, knew how to get players the ball where they liked ...

, could bring Avery back.

Not so much a Jacque Vaughn, he wasn't so much a point guard as a guy who could dribble the ball up and not turn it over

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it here a few times. The Fort Wayne Mad Ants have a PG named Walt Lemon. If the Spurs' goal is just to make it to the playoffs this year, they could ditch Bryn and sign Lemon to a min contract. He would be a good distributor for the second unit, and he's shooting something like .370 from 3P this season. He would let Patty do what he's doing best, which is bomb 3's. He's capable on the PnR, and would make Poeltl more of a scoring threat. And he's a of a scorer on his own. Last season he was with Windy City, and in the G-League playoffs he put up something like 29 points, and 7 AST.

This team would really benefit from having one natural PG on the roster. And one less Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes I want the Spurs to sign a horrific deal so you can see what an albatross really is. A 16 million per year deal to one of the best defensive guards in the NBA is never it.
    I said it's a good value deal. Pau Gasol was an albatross. He's still getting paid

I said it here a few times. The Fort Wayne Mad Ants have a PG named Walt Lemon. If the Spurs' goal is just to make it to the playoffs this year, they could ditch Bryn and sign Lemon to a min contract. He would be a good distributor for the second unit, and he's shooting something like .370 from 3P this season. He would let Patty do what he's doing best, which is bomb 3's. He's capable on the PnR, and would make Poeltl more of a scoring threat. And he's a of a scorer on his own. Last season he was with Windy City, and in the G-League playoffs he put up something like 29 points, and 7 AST.

This team would really benefit from having one natural PG on the roster. And one less Forbes.

"He doesn't know the system"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte and Derrick would benefit greatly from playing alongside each other tbh. Right now, whenever they're in the game , they basically have to be the best perimeter defender + best playmaker (though Derozan has been better during the last month)...

Playing alongside one another would open up so many thing for them and the team as a whole. Not playing them together is just one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen. It's absolutely mind boggling that the worst coach in sports is allowed to keep it up tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is spurs defense personified

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's tasked with a heavy workload having to overcompensate and help for Bryn and, to a lesser extent, DeMar's shortcomings defensively on almost every possession, which makes him look bad when the rest of the team doesn't rotate or he overgambles for a steal. As Mugen says, him and White have got to play together, with White as PG relieving DJ of the playmaking duties so he can wreck havoc and be more of a slasher/spot up shooter, a role he should practice and get burn in. Pop not being willing to play the two of them, and both of them with Lonnie, is infuriating. So much potential squandered by arbitrary coaching decisions.

The worst part is that people who defend the move say that there would be no PG for the bench, when staggering of minutes exist, and also when Pop will just trot out lineups with Patty at PG and no DJ/White on the court anyways. What even is the point of them being separated?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have found his defense and rebounding disappointing this year. He has been getting steals. Nephew used to shut down players for most the game. He is nowhere near that level. Still room to grow and I still like the contract.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte spends half his time on defense covering for Marco, Demar, Forbes, Mills...pretty much every guard that is not white or walker...

Dude is playing next to 4 of the outright worse defenders in the entire nba...lets get him so real help before we talk about him being disappointing on defense...

Which he isn't...he's been pretty stellar actually given who he is playing with...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi also played next to Danny...another all defensive caliber guard he never really had to cover for...

Dejounte is playing next to Forbes...someone who is dead last for starting guards in several defensive categories...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it's a good value deal. Pau Gasol was an albatross. He's still getting paid

"He doesn't know the system"
    Basically. Even if you are a FA that can contribute - unless you're a clear starter like Diaw, for example - you're going into the Greg Poop pecking order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte and Derrick would benefit greatly from playing alongside each other tbh. Right now, whenever they're in the game , they basically have to be the best perimeter defender + best playmaker (though Derozan has been better during the last month)...

Playing alongside one another would open up so many thing for them and the team as a whole. Not playing them together is just one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen. It's absolutely mind boggling that the worst coach in sports is allowed to keep it up tbh...
    I agree that those two guys need to play together but calling Pop the worst coach In the league is pushing it. Lol.

I honestly think Pop isn’t playing them much together because neither of them are really good three point shooters and he really wants at least one of them on the court assisting in running the offense . White is solid at the 3 and playing off ball. Murray has gotten better also at playing off the ball.

i honestly think Forbes is gonna have to get injured in order for Pop to really give those 2 (or Carroll) minutes together sadly. Smh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that those two guys need to play together but calling Pop the worst coach In the league is pushing it. Lol.

I honestly think Pop isn’t playing them much together because neither of them are really good three point shooters and he really wants at least one of them on the court assisting in running the offense . White is solid at the 3 and playing off ball. Murray has gotten better also at playing off the ball.

i honestly think Forbes is gonna have to get injured in order for Pop to really give those 2 (or Carroll) minutes together sadly. Smh
    There plenty of reasons why they don't start together, but it is not difficult at all for them to play a few minutes (6-8)together especially with DDR and Walker picking some of the minutes when both are not on the floor. I would like to see some time of a lineup with LMA, DDR, Murray, White and Walker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Dejounte has not attempted a free throw in 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Dejounte has not attempted a free throw in 2020.
    He is playing soft and scared to shoot and drive since Pop is back to being Mr erratic that will randomly bench ppl for a mistake (all while Brent forms runs wild, mind u)

Thread Information