Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Forbes plays like he did in the preseason in the regular season, it'd take like $80 million to re-sign him.

@ imagining that Spurs fan meltdown

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Forbes plays like he did in the preseason in the regular season, it'd take like $80 million to re-sign him.

@ imagining that Spurs fan meltdown

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bryn Forbes was #9 in the NBA in 3G% (.426), and the Spurs paid him $3M. In a league that values nothing so much as a 3 pointer, he's going to make a LOT more than that next summer, like 3,4 times that amount.
    Well the Spurs just gave away Bertrans for nothing, not even a future second rounder in return. Very odd if the league values 3 point shooting so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the Spurs just gave away Bertrans for nothing, not even a future second rounder in return. Very odd if the league values 3 point shooting so much.
    Not their fault. They had to make that trade to get Morris, who turned around and screwed them. Morris was a much better overall player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That $16M/year contract is starting to look like a steal,

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a steal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a max performance tonight, tb very h.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 24 mins too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte Murray has an incentive in his contract extension that potentially pays him a bonus based on his True Shooting Percentage. On top of his four-year $64M deal, he’ll get an added $500k in any year his TS% is 58 or higher. Not bloody likely, since his career TS% is 49.2, but certainly an incentive to shoot efficiently. He also can get $500k if he nets at least 125 3s in a season; he’s converted 19 for his career entering this season.
    Article, but it's behind a paywall: https://theathletic.com/1323825/2019...ives-and-more/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that bonus is definitely worth it. Rudy Gay also has 1.5 million in bonuses depending on how far the Spurs go in the postseason

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great stuff, that's really interesting.

Manu had no trouble hitting a TS% of 58 in his prime, but Tony only did it twice. It should be a bit easier to hit by taking more threes, which Murray seems to be willing to do.

125 threes is a lot for someone like him, though. That's 38% on 4 attempts per game, and only if he plays all 82.

Is Pop finally, however grudgingly, trying to get his team to take more threes? The real proof will be if DDR starts jacking up more attempts, especially on catch-and-shoot opportunities that he should be able to knock down at a respectable rate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far so great. Microscopic Sample Size but he's 5th in PER right now among players with at least 10 minutes of action on basketball reference.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still unclear what his ceiling is, but unless he suffers another significant injury, there's almost no way this doesn't turn out to be a team friendly contract. Even if he tops out as something like a low end starter, it's a fair deal. Anything above that and it's a bargain.
    I've done a 180 on this one fast. I got caught up in the hope springs eternal vibe of a new season and his bursting out of the blocks and maybe he'll look better if/when they trade DeRozan for better fitting piece(s) . . . but right now, it looks like starter money for a spare part.

He's definitely better than Dunn, Exum, Ntilikina, Carter-Williams, etc., but that archetype is not a core building block.

You just can't build a good offense with an initiator who can't even shoot spotting up, never mind pulling up (which is now necessary in this role) and is a sub par play maker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but that archetype is not a core building block.
    Big money for journeyman skills. Spurs got took.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've done a 180 on this one fast. I got caught up in the hope springs eternal vibe of a new season and his bursting out of the blocks and maybe he'll look better if/when they trade DeRozan for better fitting piece(s) . . . but right now, it looks like starter money for a spare part.

He's definitely better than Dunn, Exum, Ntilikina, Carter-Williams, etc., but that archetype is not a core building block.

You just can't build a good offense with an initiator who can't even shoot spotting up, never mind pulling up (which is now necessary in this role) and is a sub par play maker.
    Truth

really need to trade him while other teams haven’t quite caught onto this and still think he has potential. If he gets another season like this under his belt, no one is going to want him for $16M/yr.

Dare I say Murray@$16M/yr is worse than Mills@$12M/yr? My how things have changed

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would have thought that paying 60 mil for a pg that only skill is ..... rebounding???.... would be an issue... especially when his insta story was telling everyone how hard he works.
    . The nba is just awful

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im still a big fan of the deal

he's still only getting 2.3 mil this year. the contract doesnt even kick in until next season, and i think he's shown growth and a willingness to put in time and improve. his jumper still isnt where it needs to be but he at least looks a lot more comfortable with it than he did in previous years. i think he currently looks worse than he is because he's sharing the floor with derozan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to improve like tenfold otherwise he is going to be an albatross. 16M for a "PG" that can't even dribble or pass is not looking so good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his ball handling is a bigger concern to me than his shooting at this point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid still has to improve on his playmaking skills, 3-point shot and ball handling, but he's a great defender and his midrange jumper is coming along. He'll improve as the season progresses. That deal still looks like a good value deal to me, because I expect him to improve consistently

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid still has to improve on his playmaking skills, 3-point shot and ball handling, but he's a great defender and his midrange jumper is coming along. He'll improve as the season progresses. That deal still looks like a good value deal to me, because I expect him to improve consistently
    The nba, where you can get drafted as a pg without dribbling or playmaking skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The nba, where you can get drafted as a pg without dribbling or playmaking skills.
    Yup. A PG that can’t dribble, isn’t a playmaker, and can’t hit 3s?? Sure let’s give him $16M/yr for 4yrs cuz potential.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sour on the deal yet, he's making some progress, and the deal was for a projection of him getting better due to his age and experience

BUT

It is a shame that there's no former NBA point guards on the bench as an assistant coach to help him develop those skills, which he needs. There's not even an old vet point guard on the roster to mentor him. White is trying to get his own career going and Mills has never been a point guard.

I wonder if he's getting all the help he needs or if he's developing slower than hoped because he has no one to really turn to or learn from.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sour on the deal yet, he's making some progress, and the deal was for a projection of him getting better due to his age and experience

BUT

It is a shame that there's no former NBA point guards on the bench as an assistant coach to help him develop those skills, which he needs. There's not even an old vet point guard on the roster to mentor him. White is trying to get his own career going and Mills has never been a point guard.

I wonder if he's getting all the help he needs or if he's developing slower than hoped because he has no one to really turn to or learn from.
    Wouldn't mind Antonio Daniels chipping in here and there. He still lives in SA I believe. Granted he is busy with nba radio too.

Thread Information