Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could want to go back to the Raptors---Spurs have a pretty good record in according to player's wishes on something like that if it could be worked out---or he could hate the idea of going back to a team that got rid of him for a better player for one year. I don't know if Raptors have anyone to trade thh. You trade engineers could come up with a trade
    I have the feeling he wants to go back but he won't as long as Masai is the GM. And I doubt he would trade back for DD anyway

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad news because it means they're still talking and usually when that's the case, deals eventually get done; especially when you have as much time as they do.

They should have no interest in an extention of any kind because not only does he not make any sense going forward, but he's the rare prominent player who's value is unlikely to markedly increase with one.

Hawks, Cavaliers, Grizzlies, Knicks are the only teams on track to have max cap space next off season and it's highly unlikely any would have interest (maybe the Grizzlies). I've said it ad nauseam, but I think the Pistons, Magic and possibly Hornets, are likely the extent of the suitors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop keeps giving him the ball to close games, then we'll know they are going to extend him. In a couple weeks we'll know all about it.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hopefully he plays himself into a max contract

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm actually with ecstatic on this someone posted a article from realgm 6 hours ago that discusses Demar and Spurs being far apart and a lot of y'all's points have already been discussed in the other thread

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I'm actually with ecstatic on this someone posted a article from realgm 6 hours ago that discusses Demar and Spurs being far apart and a lot of y'all's points have already been discussed in the other thread
    no one cares what you think

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait until the end of the season. If he leads the Spurs to the WCF or beyond, max him out. If he disappears in the post season, or becomes significantly less effective in the playoffs, then you don't. It becomes pretty easy. His body of work to date doesn't indicate a guy who can be a key piece of a championship roster, so for a team on a budget like San Antonio that's in the middle of trying to build from within by grooming their youth movement, maxing him for anything less than a near championship performance makes no long-term sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 'dunk' went off the back of the rim when they extended Lowry for $30M. People here because the Spurs won't burn it down and rebuild, but Masai, who absolutely blinked when he had a clear opportunity to do so, is some sort of dunk artist?
    Yeah that 1yr Lowry extension is really going to prevent them from signing the megastars of the 2020 Summer Class, stars such as....Demar Derozan

The Pop/RC slurpers are so reticent to admit what the trade was, is, and will be remembered as: Masai absolutely bending RC over a barrel like it was Deliverance 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Raptors would absolutely want him back since the East is an absolute cakewalk and they could get back to the ECF. They won't get far in this seasons playoffs. DeRozan would go back ASAP too.
    I think the Knicks will offer him the max, they are just that dumb.

The problem for the Spurs is that there's absolutely no free agent next offseason who would improve the team if you let DeRozan walk. Like who do you sign? 33 old Gallinari? 34 year old Marvin Williams? Or maybe 35 year old Millsap? Porter and Hayward won't opt out, AD won't come here. That free agent class is just pure garbage.
    It makes way more sense to keep DeRozan around for one more year (and not longer). Him opting in would be ideal, but he probably won't do that. Even if this team somehow goes deep into the playoffs, he should never get the max. Team friendly deal under 30 million per year maybe, if he can hit 3s consistently.

This almost screams for a midseason trade, which the Spurs won't make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they want him back at max money after salary dumping him already?
    they acquired an MVP caliber player who won them a ring. it wasnt just some salary dump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Raptors would absolutely want him back since the East is an absolute cakewalk and they could get back to the ECF. They won't get far in this seasons playoffs. DeRozan would go back ASAP too.

The problem for the Spurs is that there's absolutely no free agent next offseason who would improve the team if you let DeRozan walk. Like who do you sign? 33 old Gallinari? 34 year old Marvin Williams? Or maybe 35 year old Millsap? Porter and Hayward won't opt out, AD won't come here. That free agent class is just pure garbage.
    It makes way more sense to keep DeRozan around for one more year (and not longer). Him opting in would be ideal, but he probably won't do that. Even if this team somehow goes deep into the playoffs, he should never get the max. Team friendly deal under 30 million per year maybe, if he can hit 3s consistently.

Yes, yes, and yes. They’re over themselves. I can’t wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad news because it means they're still talking and usually when that's the case, deals eventually get done; especially when you have as much time as they do.

They should have no interest in an extention of any kind because not only does he not make any sense going forward, but he's the rare prominent player who's value is unlikely to markedly increase with one.

Hawks, Cavaliers, Grizzlies, Knicks are the only teams on track to have max cap space next off season and it's highly unlikely any would have interest (maybe the Grizzlies). I've said it ad nauseam, but I think the Pistons, Magic and possibly Hornets, are likely the extent of the suitors.
    What do the think the Spurs are going to say?

"Yeah, we don't really want you and don't think you really have a future here, but go out there and play hard for us next year so we don't have to pay you anymore"

For one, DeMar deserves one more season to prove that he is (or isn't) a fit. His deadline basically gives him that, so the Spurs don't have to rush into any decisions.

Secondly, even if the Spurs are absolutely determined not to bring him back, it doesn't do them any good to just be assholes about it to a star player like DeRozan.

We need him to perform this season, he is close with a bunch of the guys on the team, and whether SpursTalk agrees or not, he has accomplished a lot and got thrown into a ty situation with the Kawhi trade, so the Spurs can at least give him the respect of pretending like they are evaluating his fit going forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks specifically used up cap space that could be used for this summer because the FAs are trash. Hornet's might be a option if they have the space.

Giving him the L A extension would actually be a good price for him, he'd make something like $27.6, $31.6 and $34.6. That's less than 25% of the cap each of the next 3 seasons but the fit issue makes it less than a no-brainer.
    I am actually ok for him to have that contract if he improve his stats to 25/7/7, reduce 4 minutes of playtime and reduce his usage by 5% and being competent on Defence

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am actually ok for him to have that contract if he improve his stats to 25/7/7, reduce 4 minutes of playtime and reduce his usage by 5% and being competent on Defence
    literally nobody in nba history has ever posted those stats

the only players to out up 25/7/7 without the ridiculous usg and mpg restrictions are westbrook, lebron, havlicek (balla), oscar, jordan and bird

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't count Hornets in the group of possible suitors. By all accounts, they are trying to build organically and be a facilitator of movement (like the Nets until this off season or the Hawks, etc). I don't think they have any real expectation of even competing for a play off spot for the next few years. Only way I see them biting is if the deal gives them cap space or assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DD was 25/7/7 player on lower usage with competent defense he would be an MVP candidate

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    literally nobody in nba history has ever posted those stats

the only players to out up 25/7/7 without the ridiculous usg and mpg restrictions are westbrook, lebron, havlicek (balla), oscar, jordan and bird
    OK maybe I am too greedy but if he can maintain his last year output with lesser minutes and usage by passing more and shoot some catch and shoot 3 it will be OK too.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweet. I hope he goes balls to the wall for his contract and we're able to S+T for a potential "today's NBA" scorer since DJ and DW aren't going to be those guys.

I wonder where people think we're going to get buckets from once the Spurs get out from under DMR. LMA isn't the answer, nor should even be thought of one beyond this year.

As fashionable as it is to hate on the guy, there isn't a player more essential to the Spurs this season than DeMar. Aside from being the typical ST-"fan" schtick of rooting against players and the even stupider "TANK" fans, people should be excited, this could/should light a fire under his ass and help us reach the "sleeper" potential we have.
    Lol. Literally every statement in your rant is wrong.

The Spurs are a sleeper team? There isn't a more essential player on this team? You are out of your mind. Even pop admitted that White was more important than DeMar last year.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A midseason trade is the ONLY reasonable approach to resolving this dumb roster situation.

A competent front office would do it without hesitation. This team is not going anywhere but a first round knockout

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would prefer to do a short-term extension if they grant one, given DeRozan’s age (30) and the fact that they have some good guards in the program (Derrick White, Dejounte Murray, Bryn Forbes and Lonnie Walker IV) who are likely to only keep expanding their roles. DeRozan undoubtedly wants a longer-term extension in exchange for sacrificing his free agency. 9 hours ago via New York Times

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New GM got Dejounte for cheaper than I thought we could...

Let's see what if he can go 2 for 2 by not signing Derozan...

Just not having him on the team after this year would be a win...trading him for anything would be a plus...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I actually like DeRozan, Walker makes him expendable. 2/55mil is fair to me just to make sure Walker isnt injury prone. but I'm sure Derozan wants the a max but he ain't proved himself to this organization. Ge cant expect a contract from the Spurs off the strength of what he's done in Toronto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs want to extend DeRozan for 2 more years, so that his contract expires right around the time when Lonnie Walker becomes an RFA and they have to extend him. DeRozan on the other hand wants a 4-year deal to make sure he gets paid big money into his mid 30s.

People saying the Spurs should let him walk after the season don't seem to understand that there won't be anybody on the market to replace him. This would basically mean Pop has to start Walker instead and play Belinelli or any other mediocre wing that they sign in the offseason off the bench. It makes more sense to keep DeRozan for another year and make a good signing in the 2022 offseason. You don't want the team to get worse.

I wouldn't even mind to give DeRozan big money next season and then have the amount decrease in year 2, since there's nobody on the market that will make a difference anyway. You either extend him for 2 years or trade him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because this could NEVER go into the already existing DD extension thread....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mostly agree with this. My one exception is that I don't know that an offseason trade is off the table. It feels to me like the FO vibe has changed slightly so it may be possible. My question is, what would any of those teams give for demar mid season? Would it be enough to pull the trigger on a trade?

Thread Information