Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how he wins the "Best coach in the NBA" from a survey of players, yet no one ever wants to come and play for him..I think that says everything....He should have handed the team over to Udoka and if he didn't want to quit being on the team, you know the Spurs would let him pick his le and salary in the FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He likes the per diem and the restaurants tbh. I'd say the actual compe ion aspect is probably 3rd or 4th on the list of reasons why, he hasn't given a since 2014.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously Pop is a great coach, but pretty much every legend, especially those who stay at one organization, eventually lose effectiveness. Maybe they get stuck in their ways and reluctant to change or maybe the generational/culture gap just becomes too big and they lose the ability to communicate as effectively with the players. Maybe they just can't put in the same intensity/hours they did when younger. Add to all of the above you become a victim of your own success & tenure losing valuable organizational members/players. Whatever the reason I am firmly on the wagon of the time has come for Pop to move on. I will continue to support Pop and the Spurs, but hope he and the organization can embrace the youth movement and make a transition soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $$$$ wine growing land and operations with investment group of Pao Gasol, Bonner, Patty, LMA?
    Thus needs to keep fat checks rolling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at 70 years old Pop is still the best coach in the league and its not close. Why would we not want him coaching this team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. He wanted to surpass Jerry Sloan's record for longest tenure. Now he's done that.
    2. He actually loves coaching and wouldn't know what to do with himself otherwise.
    3. He sees the young talent on the team and doesn't want to retire too soon (in case they end up being le-contending material).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't OP make this thread after the first three wins?

One loss on the road against a contender... and this disgrace of a thread.
    Now ask all the posters what coach they'd prefer for the spurs if their house was on the line, they would all pick Becky or John Doe over Pop of course.

If not for Nephew pulling a Nephew, spurs would still be on top and maybe would have won a chip last year. Spurs have recovered pretty well, have young talent and are 3-1 so far... I'll take it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like Walker’s play won’t ruin his confidence?
    He needs to play against NBA talent and get through the growing pains. Walker has a lot of potential.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A combination of ego, love of the game, nothing better to do and being unable to let go.

More than anything, he seems determined to embed the "culture" in what appears, for now at least, to be the future core (this is why he wants Duncan and Ginobili involved), show that S bag isn't going to be the death of the "Spurs way" and that he can succeed without a first ballot Hall-of-Famer.

What he doesn't seem to get, is that all that's a pipedream. How can this organization ever move forward if there's constant reminders of the past at every turn? You can see and hear the frustration in Aldridge every time he's asked about Duncan.

You got players from a different generation and culture, they probably resent having the old way beat into them. Right now, none of the young guys has the cache to voice it though and the mid 3 go along with it because this is probably the only team where they can make the money and have the role they do, play their archaic style and win to a certain extent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been thinking about this since yesterday Nono. Pop got stuck in a bit of a Chinese handcuff situation of his construction.

He has to be that dude with the young guys to develop them as he sees fit, Lonnie, Bryn, White, Luka, Keldon, and possibly Witherspoon, but he also has to deal with Divas and head cases like DDpression and Aldridge.

We, as fans, see this disparity; it seems unfair. I mean ing at Lonnie for his defense while ignoring the barn doors that are Mills and Belli, our natural reaction is WTF? When you don't just go with "the process" of rebuilding, things like this happen.

They are rebuilding but are selling us(maybe themselves) on a remodel.
    I dunno?

I see Lonnie and Derrick as a potential 2 guard combo like Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars, Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond, (all say it) Steph Curry and Clay Thompson but Poop and his Cult Following on the Board see something else.

The Future is going to be built around those two playing TOGETHER, Starting TOGETHER, fighting TOGETHER, not AGAINST each other. This is what you make when you try to hang on to lost causes like Aldridge, DDpression, Patty in the name of "Culture."

With Pop and TIMMY as coaches do you need these guys, with their glaring deficiencies, as Culture Proxies on the court and in practice?
    Good term - "Culture Proxy."

I actually don't mind a Culture Proxy on the active roster. But when that/those guys are scrubs and your pseudo-stars are the opposite you are in trouble. The counter-culture overwhelms the Culture Proxies. If the Culture Proxies are scrubs, you need to jettison them. If the pseudo-stars are of the opposite ilk, you need to jettison them, too. Unfortunately doing that all at once would completely gut the team, so you keep the CPs until the counters are gone, then you can afford to dump them. A possible explanation/justification of many of Pop's recent moves and his retention of the current roster...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A combination of ego, love of the game, nothing better to do and being unable to let go.

More than anything, he seems determined to embed the "culture" in what appears, for now at least, to be the future core (this is why he wants Duncan and Ginobili involved), show that S bag isn't going to be the death of the "Spurs way" and that he can succeed without a first ballot Hall-of-Famer.

What he doesn't seem to get, is that all that's a pipedream. How can this organization ever move forward if there's constant reminders of the past at every turn? You can see and hear the frustration in Aldridge every time he's asked about Duncan.

You got players from a different generation and culture, they probably resent having the old way beat into them. Right now, none of the young guys has the cache to voice it though and the mid 3 go along with it because this is probably the only team where they can make the money and have the role they do, play their archaic style and win to a certain extent.
    I think Derrick fits the "Spurs way" to a T. I hope Murray will embrace it to a great extent, because he is developing the cache, and he has the alpha character to be a true team leader/face of the franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s gotta empty house to return to tbh. Probably doesn’t want to be in it.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

Does this guy excoriate his players and call it "character development"?
    agree with the point youre making in general but stevens isnt a great example since he got tuned out by his entire team last year and couldnt manage the egos in the lockeroom at all

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    sasaint This is an example of what you speak of. Kyrie came into Stevens Culture and ed it all up. Joseph Koney we'll see if he can repair the damage Kyrie and Ainge did but you have to admit he did build a culture, a system and developed young players. He is only 43.
    ehh....he got overrated for winning 50 games in a weak east and then having that year overachieving and making the WCF while Kyrie was out. he built a nice system around Thomas that one year. but overall he hasnt really accomplished anything or built any kind of real culture there imo. Stevens is the most overrated coach in the nba by a wide margin imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s never coached tbh

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously Pop is a great coach, but pretty much every legend, especially those who stay at one organization, eventually lose effectiveness. Maybe they get stuck in their ways and reluctant to change or maybe the generational/culture gap just becomes too big and they lose the ability to communicate as effectively with the players. Maybe they just can't put in the same intensity/hours they did when younger. Add to all of the above you become a victim of your own success & tenure losing valuable organizational members/players. Whatever the reason I am firmly on the wagon of the time has come for Pop to move on. I will continue to support Pop and the Spurs, but hope he and the organization can embrace the youth movement and make a transition soon.
    Agree. Just maybe its that time. Wouldnt mind a pat riley like transition where he retains the final control of the team but allows a younger protege to take over.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he is going to ruin team usa as well
    he already did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's a nice video breakdown. I especially enjoyed the part of Milli Belinelli defense with Becky and Will Hardy shaking their heads

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well thats pops fault isn't it? Perhaps he should try coaching in a way that veteran players don't tune him out?

Also, don't compound that awful team dynamic by huffing and puffing your chest out at a young player who you haven't even played 15 total minutes all year...

It's like all of a sudden Pop has the social awareness of a 10 year old...

Dude might need to get a ct scan and take some cognitive ap ude test...
    Some players respond to being yelled at and some fall apart. It's knowing that not all personalities are the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's a nice video breakdown. I especially enjoyed the part of Milli Belinelli defense with Becky and Will Hardy shaking their heads

Someone send this to Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, Spurs 4-1, and some want him to retire.
    Last edited by jjktkk; 11-02-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone send this to Pop
    Pointless. Pop will watch video. By next day he'll remember that one uncompe ive rebound Lonnie gave away to Montress Harrell and forget about all the good plays.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question isn't about WINNING CHIPS its about the approach to developing young talent. I offered you an alternative with proven results. Given enough time and talent Brad has an excellent chance of winning a Chip before he turns 50(like when Pop won his) to say otherwise is would be rather truculent. I don't think he was that harsh on Lonnie,

But when you contrast it with this

It Makes you think what it is that Pop Values in a Player, Talent, moxy,........????

I can not honestly say that Pop has "ruined" a guy with his approach but this is a different NBA and a different generation. I mean Kyrie is getting praise for Moods and .
    We've heard about "corporate knowledge" with the Spurs before, and this reeks of a corporate environment.

- a boss who thinks he's God
    - annoying, untalented brown-nosers getting ahead at the expense of better personnel
    - strong, talented personnel are made scapegoats and called out by management.

Pop is totally running this team like a corporation. That stinks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m high in Lonnie’s potential. Pop’s giving him the Parker treatment tells me he is too. If Pop makes y’all seek safe space, fine, but I bet LW4 is good with being coached proper.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is Pop still coaching?
    Don't worry. Looks like he's transitioning already.

Thread Information