Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, this isn’t a fire Pop thread, or a who you gonna get thread.

Why the is the 70 year old man still coaching? What does he have left to prove? Let’s the reigns go already. Stop being selfish.

When you have to consistently ask yourself every game, does this guy even care anymore, it’s a problem. The guy knows how to win, so it’s not like questioning a scrub coach that sucks. He’s won 5 rings. But so many things he does these days makes little sense except in his “pop knows best” ways.

If you are not putting the best team on the floor every night, then what the are you still doing here?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    he is going to ruin team usa as well

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where else Pop make $11M per year?

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    he is going to ruin team usa as well
    He already did. Worst finish in US bball history this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He loves doing the opposite of what hes supposed to do. Question him and he'll do it more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has lost it. He should be letting lonnie get some burn but won't because he makes rookie mistakes here and there. like that is going to happen. Pop is yanking him over stupid and is ruining his confidence. I feel like we won't see much of lonnie at all this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ing hate Pop now. I hope Lonnie asks for a trade like Kawhi. He deserves better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically trying to be the coaching version of Kobe in his twilight years. the bed with his questionable rotations, calls out the players when he himself makes the call on who to play, being arrogant towards others and seeking the limelight. This guy should just retire and talk about politics some more since he shows more passion towards that these days.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I legit think Pop might be entering the Bobby Bowden phase of his coaching career...

Him calling Lonnie out for bad defense in the post game is beyond idiotic considering Marco and Patty are going to blow at least 1 defensive assignment or rotation on virtually every single defensive possession...

Like if I am Lonnie this is the stuff I remember two years from now when it it time to talk about my contract...I am going to remember how you consistently played bad veteran defenders in front of me but then called me out for my bad defense...

It's beyond sickening how every time murray makes a mistake in the open court he got to go talk to pop about it...every time lonnie makes a defensive mistake he got to go talk to pop about it...then come out the game...and before he h as even sit down on the bench marco's guy has a layup...

meanwhile derozan is closing out hard to keep mo harkless from shooting an 18 footer...so mo harkless can just go around him and go to the rim for 2 freethrows...and pop doesn't have anything to say to demar about that...

Obviously still early in the season but man Pop coaching has been at an all time low to start this season...

He is REPEATEDLY playing marco and mills together as if there is something to learn about that lineup...as if they are going to magically not be trash and magically do more than hit the occasional corner 3 but then instantly give up a layup to cut it to 1...

Very worrisome...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I legit think Pop might be entering the Bobby Bowden phase of his coaching career...

Him calling Lonnie out for bad defense in the post game is beyond idiotic considering Marco and Patty are going to blow at least 1 defensive assignment or rotation on virtually every single defensive possession...

Like if I am Lonnie this is the stuff I remember two years from now when it it time to talk about my contract...I am going to remember how you consistently played bad veteran defenders in front of me but then called me out for my bad defense...

It's beyond sickening how every time murray makes a mistake in the open court he got to go talk to pop about it...every time lonnie makes a defensive mistake he got to go talk to pop about it...then come out the game...and before he h as even sit down on the bench marco's guy has a layup...

meanwhile derozan is closing out hard to keep mo harkless from shooting an 18 footer...so mo harkless can just go around him and go to the rim for 2 freethrows...and pop doesn't have anything to say to demar about that...

Obviously still early in the season but man Pop coaching has been at an all time low to start this season...

He is REPEATEDLY playing marco and mills together as if there is something to learn about that lineup...as if they are going to magically not be trash and magically do more than hit the occasional corner 3 but then instantly give up a layup to cut it to 1...

Very worrisome...
    This happens because Pop can’t yell at LMA, DDR or Marco without them asking for a trade. The whole ‘star will take criticism’ thing that worked with TD or Manu doesn’t work anymore, because, as seen with Kawhi, modern players will take their talents and money somewhere else.

I’m not necessarily defending Pop’s decisions, but it’s extremely difficult to coach when your stars have tuned you out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This happens because Pop can’t yell at LMA, DDR or Marco without them asking for a trade. The whole ‘star will take criticism’ thing that worked with TD or Manu doesn’t work anymore, because, as seen with Kawhi, modern players will take their talents and money somewhere else.

I’m not necessarily defending Pop’s decisions, but it’s extremely difficult to coach when your stars have tuned you out.
    Well thats pops fault isn't it? Perhaps he should try coaching in a way that veteran players don't tune him out?

Also, don't compound that awful team dynamic by huffing and puffing your chest out at a young player who you haven't even played 15 total minutes all year...

It's like all of a sudden Pop has the social awareness of a 10 year old...

Dude might need to get a ct scan and take some cognitive ap ude test...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well thats pops fault isn't it? Perhaps he should try coaching in a way that veteran players don't tune him out?

Also, don't compound that awful team dynamic by huffing and puffing your chest out at a young player who you haven't even played 15 total minutes all year...

It's like all of a sudden Pop has the social awareness of a 10 year old...

Dude might need to get a ct scan and take some cognitive ap ude test...
    Again, this is a two way street. Your stars need to be amenable to coaching. Worked with guys like TD that cared about winning. Now we have ‘stars’ that care more about touches or All Star appearances.

And I’m also, again, not defending Pop’s decisions. I’ve been critical of Pop’a infatuation with vets or personal pet projects that simply do a disservice to this franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Does this guy excoriate his players and call it "character development"?
    That guy hasn’t won anything in the NBA either, tbh...

But, to your point, that guy has to do a good job or he’ll lose it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question isn't about WINNING CHIPS its about the approach to developing young talent. I offered you an alternative with proven results. Given enough time and talent Brad has an excellent chance of winning a Chip before he turns 50(like when Pop won his) to say otherwise is would be rather truculent. I don't think he was that harsh on Lonnie,

But when you contrast it with this

It Makes you think what it is that Pop Values in a Player, Talent, moxy,........????

I can not honestly say that Pop has "ruined" a guy with his approach but this is a different NBA and a different generation. I mean Kyrie is getting praise for Moods and .
    What I feel this means (and just an opinion, don’t have information) is that Bryn put forth the work to earn that money.

I don’t know it’s related to Lonnie, tbh. But I do agree it does come off as absurd when your vets are trash night in and out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie getting the TP treatment from Pop That’s actually a good thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He loves doing the opposite of what hes supposed to do. Question him and he'll do it more.
    This tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    weird statement by Pop ... he normally does not call out players by name after a game ... I think he played Lonnie to say this after the game and now he can send him to the end of the bench again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I feel this means (and just an opinion, don’t have information) is that Bryn put forth the work to earn that money.

I don’t know it’s related to Lonnie, tbh. But I do agree it does come off as absurd when your vets are trash night in and out.
    I mean, we keep having this same conversation about a guy that should have retired 5 years ago. Everyone can see how his coaching style and philosophy just is just at odds with today’s game and players, fair or not. , look at what happened to team USA. You can make excuses till the cows come home, but the bottom line is 7th place happened on his watch.

At what point does yelling / not yelling at stars not even matter anymore, and it’s just time to for him to move on, period. FFS he’s been coaching for over 20 years and is 70 years old. And He’s not even the same coach. This new Pop is a caricature of his old self. He just comes off like a stubborn old clown.

All these pointless shticks he’s developed over the last few years have become like the Emperors New Clothes with PATFO. Everyone is “admiring” his coaching outfits but they all know he’s just running around naked and are just to scared to speak up.
    Last edited by UZER; 11-01-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie getting the TP treatment from Pop That’s actually a good thing.
    Tp had a consistent role and mins tho. Lonnnie wouldn't mind the same treatment I'm sure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie was bad tonight. When he hit the side backboard on that corner 3, then whats the point. Not playing defense. Not hitting open corner shots. Not playing with effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    weird statement by Pop ... he normally does not call out players by name after a game ... I think he played Lonnie to say this after the game and now he can send him to the end of the bench again
    Hopefully he tried to light a fire in Lonnie because he plans on playing him bigger minutes tonight, so that LW can show Pop he can do better. Wishful thinking, I know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully he tried to light a fire in Lonnie because he plans on playing him bigger minutes tonight, so that LW can show Pop he can do better. Wishful thinking, I know.
    against the Warriors of old I doubt Lonnie would see minutes after such a statement by Pop ... but the average age of this years Warriors bench seems not much above Lonnie's age so he should get some burn ... could turn out into a Summer League like game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has lost it. He should be letting lonnie get some burn but won't because he makes rookie mistakes here and there. like that is going to happen. Pop is yanking him over stupid and is ruining his confidence. I feel like we won't see much of lonnie at all this season
    Like Walker’s play won’t ruin his confidence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When they interviewed pop before the clippers game i thought it was stange when pop was talking about the blazers game that they where down 16 or 17 points and then later in the game up 16 or 17 points....

You would think a professional who reviews games would at least get the point swings correct, they were 19 point swings on both ends... makes me wonder if he even really reviews these games at all if he cant even remember those simple details. I guess that's not the kind of thing a coach is focusing on though, but still seemed strange to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much agenda spinning and crying in the thread. No surprise for the "new ST" where people cry, and moan instead of having anything insightful, smart or analytical to say......

"This isn't a 'fire the coach thread,' but why is he still coaching? Uh duh........"

Two answers, idiot, he still loves to coach and he's the best coach this franchise has ever had. I think, even at his older age and supposed "senile" level, he still knows how to do that better than any else in the NBA....

Calling Walker IV out by name was harsh, but he isn't gonna scream in his face and go ballistic on the sidelines anymore. Needs to show that kid that he expects more and sees some great in him.

Nah, why not just go through a coach carousel like Phoenix/Sacramento and end up with constant lottery pick busts instead?

Thread Information