Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop senile old got. Walker ting all over his overrated ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's criticism woke Lonnie up. GOAT.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If pop paid attention while lonnie was tearing up summer league and saw the shape lonnie was in and noticed lonnie was a man amongst boys...

and then waited 21 games to actually give him a real chance

i guess we should be grateful pop is slowly getting over himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ur smart... But this isn't a smart take....

Pop benched him indefinitely based on 5 minutes of game time... Do u know Tim Duncan in his prime had five minute stretches of him not playing well on either end? So does EVERY great player...

They don't get benched... But let's say we benched Duncan for games on end... Then finally plays him and he plays well... Ppl like u would attribute him playing well to the benching... While ppl like me say he could do that all the time! U were just overreacting to a bad 5 minutes
    timvp getting sonned by the dumbest poster on spurstalk. Damn, how the mighty have fallen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my favorite Sniffer take of the season tbh.

"See - he was only pretending to be re ed!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmfao posters making up fantasies about how Lonnie is " ting" on Pop when theres numerous quotes from Lonnie himself after the game last night and from his teammates saying how thankful Lonnie is that Pop was pushing him to be great. But naaaaah Lonnie is definitely resenting Pop and did this as revenge. It wasnt decent placed motivation at all. Arm chair coaches lmfao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmfao posters making up fantasies about how Lonnie is " ting" on Pop when theres numerous quotes from Lonnie himself after the game last night and from his teammates saying how thankful Lonnie is that Pop was pushing him to be great. But naaaaah Lonnie is definitely resenting Pop and did this as revenge. It wasnt decent placed motivation at all. Arm chair coaches lmfao
    Lonnie made Pop and several posters like yourself eat last night, take the L and move on.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop only goes after players publicly if (1) he knows they're naturally confident (can take it) and (2) he thinks they have a future (they're going to have many chances to defend themselves by their play).

The old saying that you only need to worry when the coach is not yelling at you applies.

So let me get this straight. A ty player like Jeff Errors he just keeps putting on the floor, because he has no potential. But a guy who could be really good he benches for a quarter of the season? Because it makes the team better? Like the way benching Bertans made the team better? Sniff. Sniff sniff. Do you smell something?

BTW - nice diversion with the whole bit about yelling at Lonnie, since we were talking about keeping him on the bench. Did Lonnie happen to mention if he welcomed being benched, or if that helped him on the court? Asking for a friend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie made Pop and several posters like yourself eat last night, take the L and move on.
    Sure, lets ignore facts and ignore what the players actually say. Keep living in your fantasyland

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, lets ignore facts and ignore what the players actually say. Keep living in your fantasyland
    What's he supposed to say, dumbass? "Oh Yeah, Pop is a ing moron for playing scrubs like Forbes and Marco over me." He's a professional, he's not gonna on his dumbass couch publicly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has had numerous questionable coaching decisions this season, but I cannot understand people ting on him over his Lonnie treatment. Yes, we all wanted to see him play. And yet, on his first real minutes stint against the Clippers, he was unarguably timid on defense, shying away from his man-to-man duties, and Pop called him out on it, thus benching him. Yesterday, besides his offense, his defense was really what stood out from his performance -- he picked up Harden at half court each and every time they were both on the court, stayed with him, went over screens and switches and did as good of a job contesting his shots as is possible against Harden. He set the defensive tone and the rest of the Spurs fed off his energy.

How you can see such a night/day shift in a player and not give an ounce of credit to the coach... Beyond me. His offensive prowess was never in question, as early as his SL stint - but it seems Pop has greater plans for him than a pure O talent. I'm thinking he'll slowly transition from getting more minutes next to DJ on the bench, to starting after the ASB (hopefully sooner tho) after this team makes some much-needed trades.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has had numerous questionable coaching decisions this season, but I cannot understand people ting on him over his Lonnie treatment. Yes, we all wanted to see him play. And yet, on his first real minutes stint against the Clippers, he was unarguably timid on defense, shying away from his man-to-man duties, and Pop called him out on it, thus benching him. Yesterday, besides his offense, his defense was really what stood out from his performance -- he picked up Harden at half court each and every time they were both on the court, stayed with him, went over screens and switches and did as good of a job contesting his shots as is possible against Harden. He set the defensive tone and the rest of the Spurs fed off his energy.

How you can see such a night/day shift in a player and not give an ounce of credit to the coach... Beyond me. His offensive prowess was never in question, as early as his SL stint - but it seems Pop has greater plans for him than a pure O talent. I'm thinking he'll slowly transition from getting more minutes next to DJ on the bench, to starting after the ASB (hopefully sooner tho) after this team makes some much-needed trades.
    I am not sure is it due to Pop benching him, however before last night LW had never given me a feeling that he is a good defender for a sustained period. Not even Summer League or G League where he is supposedly to be man over boys. I just hope what he showed can be sustained and he began to get more minutes to eventually becomes a regular in rotation or even a starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure is it due to Pop benching him, however before last night LW had never given me a feeling that he is a good defender for a sustained period. ...
    And Beli is, you think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's pushing Walker because he knows how good he can be. On the flipside, he encourages a player like Forbes because he knows what we see from Forbes is all he's got available. Walker has the tools to be great, and Pop is pushing him to be more than a role player.

I'm not always a fan of some of Pop's tactics, but if you can't see his tough love strategy with Walker is working you're ignorant. I have no complaints with Pop giving Walker the business earlier this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 game benching I would have been cute, but to drag it on to 14 losses where it looked like Pop was losing the locker room was inexcusable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... I have no complaints with Pop giving Walker the business earlier this season.
    Not even if it might have caused the Spurs to lose games?

The Griz on Nov 11. Spurs lost by 4. Beli played 16:15, scored 7 pts. One of his better outings. Walker DNP.

The Magic on Nov 15. Spurs lost by 2. Beli played 16:27, scored 6. Walker DNP.

The Mavs on Nov 18. Spurs lost by 7. Beli played 19:00, scored 5. Walker DNP.

I don't have to detail Beli's poor defense.

We'll never know, but a person can't help but wonder. Was that 8 game losing streak really necessary?

People have been talking about this as if it's just a Pop vs Walker thing. It most certainly is not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    says the guy who said Murray will be better than Kawhi...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Griz on Nov 11. Spurs lost by 4. Beli played 16:15, scored 7 pts. One of his better outings. Walker DNP.

I don't have to detail Beli's poor defense.

We'll never know, but a person can't help but wonder. Was that 8 game losing streak really necessary?

People have been talking about this as if it's just a Pop vs Walker thing. It most certainly is not.
    that's exactly my point. People act like a permanent benching has lit that fire under Walker. An occassional benching would've most likely done the same. If he's not playing hard on defense, pull him and sub in somebody else. But play the guy every game, so he can learn things out there and the team would've most likely won 3-4 more games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We fans get upset when the team loses and overreact when the team wins. I certainly do.

Pop is not a fan. He doesn't care as much as we do whether the team wins a game.

He would gladly trade a win for making a point to a player he judges to have potential.

He doesn't care as much about the things we care about -- he's playing the long game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We fans get upset when the team loses and overreact when the team wins. I certainly do.

Pop is not a fan. He doesn't care as much as we do whether the team wins a game.

He would gladly trade a win for making a point to a player he judges to have potential.

He doesn't care as much about the things we care about -- he's playing the long game.
    Truer words have never been spoken this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's exactly my point. People act like a permanent benching has lit that fire under Walker. An occassional benching would've most likely done the same. If he's not playing hard on defense, pull him and sub in somebody else. But play the guy every game, so he can learn things out there and the team would've most likely won 3-4 more games
    I agree with you. What Pop did hurt the team, and it was not the way to help Walker or anybody.

As for all this being some genius scheme by Pop to bring out the best in a young player, that is all nothing but puffery and bs. Obviously.

Pop was playing Beli instead of Walker because Pop really did think Beli was his best option. He really thought that. Seriously.

The team needs a new head coach. We'll have one next season, I suppose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

[Pop] would gladly trade a win for making a point to a player he judges to have potential.
    Bull . If Pop truly did that, those who care about Pop should take legal action to have his affairs placed under court supervision, for his own good, because it would mean he is not of sound mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull . If Pop truly did that, those who care about Pop should take legal action to have his affairs placed under court supervision, for his own good, because it would mean he is not of sound mind.
    Pop is of sound mind. Just think of it as a conservative investment strategy. Like riding out a loss today for a bigger gain tomorrow.

Like deferring a small return today for a bigger return on down the road.

Thread Information