Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... Benching Lonnie was his only option to improve the team before New Years. ...
    B.S. The reason Pop played Beli instead of Lonnie is that Pop truly thought Beli was the better player. That is all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hi. You must be one of those pop is still in his prime and his skills will never degrade or diminish guys. You probably wish Bobby Bowden and Joe Pa were still coaching and think they were just as good when they were forced out as they were when they won les.

i could say that I played at the collegiate level and coached. Or I could say that I coached in the NBA. Or I could say that I was Pop himself. But it’s irrelevant cuz you’ll never know.

Pop himself would tell you that he’s failing to get it done and that his performance is unsat. But I’m sure you’d tell him to his face that he’s wrong.
    So no success at any level.

Thanks for the insight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never post here, just read. Didn’t want to start a thread for this question but does anyone know why the Spurs have 6 days off after the next game?? And we don’t even have a back to back for a looong time.. does anyone know why? Is the nba stretching out the season?
    They've played every other day since Halloween is the reason why.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious, how did you know when Walker was ready for consistent minutes? Hasn't it always been the "The Spur's Way" under Pop for young players to earn their minutes, and not just for him to throw them out on the court. You can and moan about it, but the system works, more often than not
    After he guarded Harden well in preseason it was pretty clear to anybody with a pair of eyes that he should get consistent minutes. And I never said don't bench him. I said don't bench him for 10 games straight up and give 16 minutes per night to an inferior player on both ends

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After he guarded Harden well in preseason it was pretty clear to anybody with a pair of eyes that he should get consistent minutes. And I never said don't bench him. I said don't bench him for 10 games straight up and give 16 minutes per night to an inferior player on both ends
    Good thing I got 20 20 vision. You saw FLASHES of what Lonnie could do in PRESEASON. CONSISTENCY on the defensive end will probably dictate Lonnie's minutes going forward. I'm excited that Lonnie had a breakout game, and sure hope to see him getting consistent minutes going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most of the people who are upset about how Pop treated Lonnie are upset not because they disagree with tough love but that it meant torpedoing the season to do it.

Sure, big scheme, did they ruin a le team? No. But this build was sold as a win now team and not a lottery team. If they were so concerned with the future at all costs then the decisions made the last few years, but mostly this off season, are even more baffling.

If Pop had done this exact same thing but the team was winning? I personally wouldn’t have too many complaints. Like when we had Duncan and he did this it was the youth learning from winners and it made sense.

But this team isn’t that so I feel it was not wise to tank a season and allow the team to be embarrassed nearly nightly for this purpose when at best it’s not clear whether or not it was needed to achieve the result.

Yeah, the result appears achieved and ultimately that’s what’s most important but damn it makes this team build even more frustrating for me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The part about being a good defender. Bad defense is no reason not to play Walker, instead of Beli, when Beli is such a bad defender.

What you mentioned is no reason to not play Walker, on this team.
    I did not say anything about not playing him. I said he did not give me a feeling that he can sustain a good defence before the Houston game. If you go see my previous post regarding him and Belli, I had always wanted him over Belli.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most of the people who are upset about how Pop treated Lonnie are upset not because they disagree with tough love but that it meant torpedoing the season to do it.

Sure, big scheme, did they ruin a le team? No. But this build was sold as a win now team and not a lottery team. If they were so concerned with the future at all costs then the decisions made the last few years, but mostly this off season, are even more baffling.

If Pop had done this exact same thing but the team was winning? I personally wouldn’t have too many complaints. Like when we had Duncan and he did this it was the youth learning from winners and it made sense.

But this team isn’t that so I feel it was not wise to tank a season and allow the team to be embarrassed nearly nightly for this purpose when at best it’s not clear whether or not it was needed to achieve the result.

Yeah, the result appears achieved and ultimately that’s what’s most important but damn it makes this team build even more frustrating for me.
    Your entire post has a big flaw: it is implying that Lonnie would have been the savior of this team from the start, especially when you said "torpedo the season to do it". If PATFO went into the season planning for Lonnie to be a core reason for the team to have success..... That would be a huge fail. Dont you think putting all your eggs in a basket for an unknown commodity is just poor decision making? That's totally ignoring team chemistry, and throwing expectations from last year's group out the door (granted they have disappointed so far, but that doesnt mean you dont try to see if they improve upon last year). Dont you know there would be implications of destroying team morale when you put aside all your other players for one player just because you think hes promising? Again, im going by your statement of "Spurs torpedoing the season because they dont coddle a promising player and put all their hopes on him".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your entire post has a big flaw: it is implying that Lonnie would have been the savior of this team from the start, especially when you said "torpedo the season to do it".
    It’s not all on Lonnie, Pop has had many questionable lineups, but no Lonnie is a large one and symbolic of the issues. Beli literally grades out as a bottom 10 nba player (at least defensively). While the bench lineups he was in have a good net rating he was an issue. It’s not a stretch to me that having Lonnies versatility over Belis would mean a better chance to win several of the games SA lost.

If PATFO went into the season planning for Lonnie to be a core reason for the team to have success..... That would be a huge fail. Dont you think putting all your eggs in a basket for an unknown commodity is just poor decision making? That's totally ignoring team chemistry, and throwing expectations from last year's group out the door (granted they have disappointed so far, but that doesnt mean you dont try to see if they improve upon last year).
    Unfortunately yes. Many of us, before the season started, were adamant that with the off season they had (a bad one) that the best chance to win and reach the teams ceiling was by vastly expanding the roles of Murray/White/Lonnie and cutting out the one dimensional vets. Fair or not, that was the obvious position PATFO put the team in with no other roster upgrades.

We are seeing the “benefits” of chemistry and continuity now aren’t we...

Don’t you know there would be implications of destroying team morale when you put aside all your other players for one player just because you think hes promising? Again, im going by your statement of "Spurs torpedoing the season because they dont coddle a promising player and put all their hopes on him".
    Nothing regarding team morale is worse than losing. Nothing. Especially getting embarrassed routinely. No one said to coddle him. We said that give him the same tough love approach as TP, Manu and others which means give him opportunities consistently to see if he learns and yank him if he doesn’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop is one of if not the greatest NBA coach of all time but some of the rationale in here is straight ridiculous. There is no way in Pop or any other coach in any sport is going to purposely kill chances in winning multiple games to get through to one player.

I can understand not playing a malcontent or a person causing locker room issues so you can get them out of your locker room. I can understand holding the player out before completing a trade but the nonsense some of the folks in here are trying to spin is outrageous.

Pop has just been trotting out bad rotations. Maybe it’s because he trust the bad defenders more than the young unproven guy, maybe Lonnie looked bad in practice but to say he purposely tanked winnable games to teach the kid a lesson is the stupidest thing I’ve seen on this site. Which says a whole lot about that comment considering the asinine comments posted on a daily here. Smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop has just been trotting out bad rotations. Maybe it’s because he trust the bad defenders more than the young unproven guy, maybe Lonnie looked bad in practice but to say he purposely tanked winnable games to teach the kid a lesson is the stupidest thing I’ve seen on this site. Which says a whole lot about that comment considering the asinine comments posted on a daily here. Smh.
    The most costly mistake Pop made this season, imo, was starting DJ over White. I never had an issue with holding Lonnie out until ready. Also, the team is so desperate for shooting, its understandable trying to let Beli shoot his way out of his slump. Especially when Lonnie did himself no favors by failing to compete against the Clippers. Hopefully, that corners been turned.

People overreact here, but it is a discussion forum so this is the place to do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most costly mistake Pop made this season, imo, was starting DJ over White. I never had an issue with holding Lonnie out until ready. Also, the team is so desperate for shooting, its understandable trying to let Beli shoot his way out of his slump. Especially when Lonnie did himself no favors by failing to compete against the Clippers. Hopefully, that corners been turned.

People overreact here, but it is a discussion forum so this is the place to do so.
    Bill, that top gal in your sig is quite possibly the perfect woman...take away the "quite possibly". I really can't read your posts because all I can do is scroll down to the sig. In fact, I'm not sure I've read one of your posts since adding those pics.

Well done my friend, well done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill, that top gal in your sig is quite possibly the perfect woman...take away the "quite possibly". I really can't read your posts because all I can do is scroll down to the sig. In fact, I'm not sure I've read one of your posts since adding those pics.

Well done my friend, well done.
    Many thanks bro. Though there really isn't much to see of flour girl.

And, if no one reads my posts because of my sig, than I can get away with writing things like:

"Forbes is a future hall of famer"

"Tim Duncan is overrated"

or

"I admire Uncle Dennis"

without anyone noticing? Such freedom. I don't even have to use a blue font.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree about the Derrick White situation also. Before the season started I stated on here that I thought Pop wouldn’t change the starting 5 and if he did it would’ve been Carroll maybe starting. I never thought he would mess up the chemistry White had with the rest of the starters though. When he played healthy last season the team defense and offense played better. It was a statistical and seen fact.

As far as the Walker situation goes, it made no sense to keep trotting Marco and Forbes out there for the minutes they got when they were not hitting shots. It would be one thing if they were not getting killed on defense while being Luke warm to cold shooting but that isn’t the case for those guys. If they are not hitting shots they are useless. I understand they can assist in spacing but that isn’t enough to offset the negatives they are on defense. If Marco and Forbes are shooting bad and the team can’t get stops you sub their asses. It’s common sense to try something new and not keep doing the same over and over if it isn’t working.

I’m not saying give them no minutes period but at least make an in game adjustment playing Walker, Carroll, or playing Murray and White some minutes together.

I was honestly surprised we didn’t lose to Houston the other game when Pop played Forbes and Mills together to close out the game. If Houston wasn’t such dumb asses and chucking 3’s they should’ve attacked those guys off the bounce every time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop is one of if not the greatest NBA coach of all time but some of the rationale in here is straight ridiculous. There is no way in Pop or any other coach in any sport is going to purposely kill chances in winning multiple games to get through to one player.

I can understand not playing a malcontent or a person causing locker room issues so you can get them out of your locker room. I can understand holding the player out before completing a trade but the nonsense some of the folks in here are trying to spin is outrageous.

exactly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There are organizations that throw away whole seasons to try to build around a draft pick that they don't even have yet, or know which player they'll get. Not sure how 'crazy' sitting a kid that you see huge potential is to reset his desire to play and be great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm of the opinion they were shopping marco and playing him in a failed attempt to raise his value

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are organizations that throw away whole seasons to try to build around a draft pick that they don't even have yet, or know which player they'll get. Not sure how 'crazy' sitting a kid that you see huge potential is to reset his desire to play and be great.
    that is a totally different situation and you knew this while responding to my comment. SMH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many thanks bro. Though there really isn't much to see of flour girl.

And, if no one reads my posts because of my sig, than I can get away with writing things like:

"Forbes is a future hall of famer"

"Tim Duncan is overrated"

or

"I admire Uncle Dennis"

without anyone noticing? Such freedom. I don't even have to use a blue font.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that is a totally different situation and you knew this while responding to my comment. SMH
    They are different situations. The Spurs and Pop did much less damage to their season than those other tankathon teams, and had a known commodity to work with. That was my point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So no success at any level.

Thanks for the insight.
    Yawn. You’re fishing. I’m not telling. Later troll.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good post.

Thread Information