Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US House overwhelmingly votes to recognize Armenian genocide

The US House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to recognize the Armenian genocide of a century ago, stepping into a fraught historical debate at a particularly tense moment for the US-Turkey relationship.
    The House voted 405-11 in favor of the resolution, which is not legally binding, to formally recognize the systematic killing of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians under the Ottoman Empire in 1915, modern-day Turkey, as a “genocide”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...enian-genocide

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Wednesday morning, Turkey summoned the US ambassador to the country over the resolution.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...054815944.html

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's see how Cenk Uygur and "The Young Turks" react

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ilhan voted present.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Undercuts her moral authority, but what about those 12 red teamers that voted nay?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Undercuts her moral authority, but what about those 12 red teamers that voted nay?
    not at all, if you know why she voted present.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ilhan voted present.
    Has Trump said anything about it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Omar’s “present” vote has sparked more coverage in the past 36 hours—of which this column is admittedly part—than the Republicans who voted “nay,” the GOP senators who aren’t even voting, or Trump’s complicity in Turkey’s ongoing massacre of Kurds. Good-faith critics on the left are concerned about “academic consensus” and “whataboutism,” but of course bad-faith critics on the American right are having a field day. As has been true since she took office, national right-wing media is eager to portray Omar as non-American, and now have fixated on a meeting Omar held with the Turkish president in 2017, alleging that she’s a foreign agent.

That’s not what’s going on. Omar does not operate like other politicians. Her commitment to principle is one of her great strengths, but it creates the conditions for what seem like unforced errors. She’s bringing Bernie Sanders to Minnesota this weekend, and I wonder if this vote will overshadow it. More important, Armenians are upset. I spoke over the phone with the Rev. Tadeos Barseghyan, a pastor at St. Sahag Armenian Church in St. Paul. The church is located in the adjacent district to Omar’s, but serves Armenians throughout the region (including neighboring states). Barseghyan told me that the vote was long past due, but that it’s “wonderful to see that the country that we all respect and love officially recognizes and hears the voices of our people.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it does. Her underlying message, while laudable, was not effectively communicated and fell into a weird, nihisltic relativism that all genocide is somehow the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tadeos added, “Denying the Armenian genocide is denying gravity.” And I’m sure Omar agrees. She voted “present” to make a statement against a foreign policy of convenience. I’m sure she didn’t want to derail the conversation around the truth of the Armenian genocide or to cause pain to Armenians still searching for justice and recognition. Yet she did both. She’s seeking to make a better politics, but the jury is still out whether she can succeed without alienating people who would otherwise support her.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Denying the Armenian genocide"

... is that what AOC did?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh? No. The only deniers would be the 12 red teamers who voted nay

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess better 100 years late than never, but the politics surrounding this vote are fairly nauseating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess better 100 years late than never, but the politics surrounding this vote are fairly nauseating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Omar’s comments on one hand seemed like a principled stance against taking these resolutions as politically convenient statements, but she also refused to acknowledge the genocide in her remarks and made cenk like comments about needing an academic consensus...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's astounding how countries like Turkey and Japan are so butthurt about their governments' past actions. Just look at Germany. All is largely forgiven now that they owned that . It certainly isn't a big sticking point in it's international relations anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who tf cares about random ass Turkey. Care about what's happening in our own damn country ffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who tf cares about random ass Turkey. Care about what's happening in our own damn country ffs
    Like what? This vote took a few minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there no Armenians in our own damn country?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's astounding how countries like Turkey and Japan are so butthurt about their governments' past actions. Just look at Germany. All is largely forgiven now that they owned that . It certainly isn't a big sticking point in it's international relations anymore.
    Water off a psycopath's back afterall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don’t have to care

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a huge issue. Turkey denying the genocide speaks to their tyranny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tadeos added, “Denying the Armenian genocide is denying gravity.” And I’m sure Omar agrees. She voted “present” to make a statement against a foreign policy of convenience. I’m sure she didn’t want to derail the conversation around the truth of the Armenian genocide or to cause pain to Armenians still searching for justice and recognition. Yet she did both. She’s seeking to make a better politics, but the jury is still out whether she can succeed without alienating people who would otherwise support her.
    Gravity is just a theory like evolution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there no Armenians in our own damn country?
    If it was the Jews it would be more easily accepted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's astounding how countries like Turkey and Japan are so butthurt
    USA is extremely butthurt about its centuries of slavery and racism, and of course its genocide and ongoing maltreatment of Native Americans, actually maltreatment of everybody non-white, non-male, non-Christian.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-03-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Thread Information