My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...vember-3-2019/

tl;dr: Nice one-man run by Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Enormous talent disparity. Spurs are a work in progress, let’s hope Murray or White or someone else can develop into a proper star. Until then it’s all about being healthy and developing talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably the first time I disagree with some of these grades. DD was clearly better and more of a positive impact than LMA. It's probably the worst game I have seen from LMA for a long time. He just needed to be half good and we have the win. We got just enough from White, Murray, and Gay, despite Lakers role players getting theirs and their two studs doing their job. Forbes was pretty much as bad as Mills but maybe only slightly better as his D was just barely okay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another bad game from Aldridge, but I still hope he gets better as he did last year ... with increasing age it might take till January this time.

Murray was great in the 4th quarter ... full beastmode like the New York game. But he should have been more aggressive earlier. He hit a three ... take more of those young fella!

Derozan was the usual mess when he is angry ... agree with OP that it does not work out well. I would have liked a coach's challenge in the +1 situation from Demar against Davis that was ruled an offensive foul. Davis was moving so three points and a foul on Davis could have been the outcome. Pop could at least try.

White was solid. We still need more consistently though. But this defines a star and both White and Murray will not reach that status this season I fear.

Gay was very good. With Carroll finally seeing the floor and doing alright it might be time to move Gay into the starting lineup instead of Lyles? Difficult, but we need more scoring in the SL.
    Patty and Belli forgettable, Forbes should not be outplayed offensively by Bradley Beal. Early in the game thread I said let Bradley shoot everytime ...damn

So, now four more games until Murray can play 30 minutes? lets do it baby! (hopefully White does not play only 18 minutes then )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Besides Rudy, DJ and Derrick everybody was trash. Carroll was decent. Other than that I would hand out a bunch of Fs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanx again for the grades, sir..I'm a little surprised that Poeltl is having so much trouble this season in pick & roll situations..
    Last edited by Thunder1; 11-04-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanx again for the grades, sir..I'm a little surprised that Poeltl is having so much trouble this season in pick & roll situations..
    If all you are is a pnr player then you're gonna struggle your entire career. He needs to develop some kind of post game. His game offensively is non existent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Besides Rudy, DJ and Derrick everybody was trash. Carroll was decent. Other than that I would hand out a bunch of Fs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's becoming a serious problem, even considering how bad he's been the last few seasons. If White and Murray don't start getting minutes together once Murray is able to play more minutes then it's time to hit the panic button.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's becoming a serious problem, even considering how bad he's been the last few seasons. If White and Murray don't start getting minutes together once Murray is able to play more minutes then it's time to hit the panic button.
    It doesn't matter about Dejounte being on a minutes restriction. Even if White is coming off the bench, that doesn't mean he should get less than 24 minutes a game. He's not a bench player that should be playing less than half the game. He should still be getting 30 minutes a game easily and that way he would be able to play with Dejounte a little bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't matter about Dejounte being on a minutes restriction. Even if White is coming off the bench, that doesn't mean he should get less than 24 minutes a game. He's not a bench player that should be playing less than half the game. He should still be getting 30 minutes a game easily and that way he would be able to play with Dejounte a little bit.
    Agreed, but I figure Pop's logic might be to ease his burden getting back into the thick of things by not having to split ball-handling duties between himself, White, and DeRozan. He'll have to get used to it sooner or later (and I think it'll be tougher later on since he'll be accustomed to being PG full-time), but I guess Pop thinks it'll make him better in the long run?

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been reading these grades. Did Pop ever gotten a B? Can't remember at all.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thought this was the first game where playing Murray/White together to close out the game may have changed the outcome. However as Timvp pointed out based on how we played majority of the game we were lucky to even be in position to almost steal the win.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just hope that Pop is using the first ten games as preseason tinkling, bedding in the players. I cannot imagine him playing Poeltl, DDR, Beli, Mills and Forbes in a lineup regularly. I also hope that there is nothing wrong with Carroll as it does not make sense for him to play well then disappear the rest of the game.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still say these slow starts are killing our guys. I love this year’s team’s ability to make a comeback (albeit if it is just Murray) but to do it night in and night out is exhausting. They’ve gotta find a way to get ahead and stay ahead. Or at least keep it close then pull ahead later. Also, Dijon is amazing.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demar given the assignment to guard lebron and at times davis, leads the team in assists and actually looked like he cared out there ... and he gets the same grade as lamarcus who didnt do , not even use up his fouls? cmon

also before we start sucking each others s, remember that dijon was lighting up mr belding in the fourth

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    demar given the assignment to guard lebron and at times davis, leads the team in assists and actually looked like he cared out there ... and he gets the same grade as lamarcus who didnt do , not even use up his fouls? cmon

also before we start sucking each others s, remember that dijon was lighting up mr belding in the fourth
    Defrozan was terrible, what's your point? Just because he was slightly less terrible than Softridge doesn't give him a pass. He had the worst plus-minus on the night(-19) which mostly reflects his play. He did his usual pouting fit after the officials didn't give him a call early in the 1st and proceeded to play low iq basketball the rest of the night. Good players will control their emotions or use the anger to fuel their play. Demar does the opposite - he plays considerably worse when he lets the officiating get to him. This is a sure sign of a loser and why I believe the front office isn't willing to commit long term to this cancer. Just look at that play late in the 4th after Murray tied the game. Defrozen proceeds to heroball with his patented barrel drive into three defenders. It ends up as a turnover every time. We saw it all last season. We saw it in the playoffs against the Nuggets(especially in game 7). But he continues to play like an idiot, continues to look lost when he doesn't have the ball in his hands.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defrozan was terrible, what's your point? Just because he was slightly less terrible than Softridge doesn't give him a pass. He had the worst plus-minus on the night(-19) which mostly reflects his play. He did his usual pouting fit after the officials didn't give him a call early in the 1st and proceeded to play low iq basketball the rest of the night. Good players will control their emotions or use the anger to fuel their play. Demar does the opposite - he plays considerably worse when he lets the officiating get to him. This is a sure sign of a loser and why I believe the front office isn't willing to commit long term to this cancer. Just look at that play late in the 4th after Murray tied the game. Defrozen proceeds to heroball with his patented barrel drive into three defenders. It ends up as a turnover every time. We saw it all last season. We saw it in the playoffs against the Nuggets(especially in game 7). But he continues to play like an idiot, continues to look lost when he doesn't have the ball in his hands.
    plus minus

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There just has to be a way to get Murray and White of the floor together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the lesson supposedly being taught to Lonnie is "You don't earn minutes if you don't play defense," what must he be thinking as he sits on the bench watching DeRozan, Mills, Forbes, and Belinelli average a combined 98 minutes per game, as Murray & White are kept apart at every opportunity?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA is painful to watch.
    Is it his worst stretch in Spurs uniform?

Second game against good opponent and second time all three things happen:
    1. LMA sucks so bad it's hard to imagine
    2. DDR sucks but it's nothing new
    3. Our 3pt shooters can't make shots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely correct

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA is painful to watch.
    Is it his worst stretch in Spurs uniform?

Second game against good opponent and second time all three things happen:
    1. LMA sucks so bad it's hard to imagine
    2. DDR sucks but it's nothing new
    3. Our 3pt shooters can't make shots
    I've been saying for years us making the playoffs is fools gold with the players we have... Forbes and Mills can't get good looks and almost always play poorly VS contenders... LMA and DDR are not only antiquated, but they're career losers and chokers that are past their prime... We need changes

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the most fitting description for this team is "work in progress". The wins against some pretenders were nice and I'm happy they did not lay a gigantic egg so far. I just think they need to figure out some stuff, especially (off-)ball movement.
    This team has way more potential than the previous iterations. But seeing the offense stall with the starting lineup is kind of frustrating.
    - I still believe Aldridge and Derozan could be a good duo, but imo DDR needs to adapt his game more. LA is at least showing some willingness to step out of the three point line and has all the tools to become a decent shooter (slowly, but he'll get there). DDR isn't even looking to shoot and calls his own number waaay too often. Cue to I think the game was tied and Murray has 14 straight -> DDR goes for a bricked no-pass iso. I hope the Spurs and him don't reach an agreement for an extension...
    - I am 100% positively sure White is not playing 22 mins because PATFO is dumb...coming off double PF and a whole summer of basketball, they might be cautious. But thinking that's the case is just as much a shot in the dark as saying Pop will play some guys regardless of performance.
    - someone wrote that Pop might try to save Beli's season because of the lack of movement. I think that's not too far from the truth. Watching the games so far, that's one of my biggest concerns. Too much relieance on individuals trying to make something happen. Mills and Beli move well without the ball, and Lyles is trying I think. But it really starts with DDR, he's way too stagnant for this movement-heavy system.

But still, there are some good things:

- Murray and White will take over soon and they look very ready for that

- the depth is great and as soon as Carroll and Walker are acclimated enough to play, this team can roll two units and quality third stringers

- Gay might be getting in shape at the exact right time

Well let's hope they can avoid the egg in Atlanta.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the lesson supposedly being taught to Lonnie is "You don't earn minutes if you don't play defense," what must he be thinking as he sits on the bench watching DeRozan, Mills, Forbes, and Belinelli average a combined 98 minutes per game, as Murray & White are kept apart at every opportunity?
    Exactly. If that is the lesson he is trying to teach Lonnie, how does Lonnie not react by saying you're playing guys that can't play defense to save their lives over me. What a freaking hypocrite Pop is.

Thread Information