Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi has been the beneficiary of some pretty amazing cir stances. He's a fantastic ball player but the traffic lights synchronized pretty well for him with injuries on other teams, timely moves of major NBA power players to the other conference, being traded to a team that already had the best conference record the prior year and the overall decay of the NBA in general. If he deserves accolades for anything, it's the ushering in of the "my pussy hurts" era. At least in Kobe's day he'd wait until he lost to use that as an excuse. Even then it would be "leaked" conveniently ala Lebron's hand.

One thing is for certain though, KL doesn't give 2 s about regular season awards.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Kawhi’s legacy in NBA history is a very unique case. He has two championships and two Finals MVPs for two different teams, which would lead you to believe he’d climb most objective rankings pretty high. On the other hand, he’s only had three seasons (of 8, 7 if you don’t count the 2017-18 season) in which he put up allstar / all NBA seasons. I think the hesitancy to rank him higher is because of that, shortcomings in regular season production. When he’s playing and healthy, he’s been universally viewed as a top 3 player in the game. And he’s closed the deal twice in the playoffs, as THE guy. I think his career likely needs several more all NBA caliber regular seasons to cement his legacy as a top 25, and possibly at some point top 10 player.

Right now, if he were to retire today, I don’t have him down as a top 25 all time. So I think the ranking is probably high.
    This!

I've said it before on here as well that Kawhi is going to be the hardest player to rate all-time from the greats of the current generation (which I think are LBJ, KD, Steph and him). He has the top-level accomplishments without the body of work that usually goes on with that kind of career, which is the opposite of what happens most often. That being said, he's "only" 28. A regular-season MVP or two would go a great way towards balancing his career out so that he has a legitimate case for a top-15/20 career.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not taking a direct shot at Leonard but how far off would Pippen be today? He was overshadowed by Shaq and Hakeem. Or even the Utah duo.
    I don't think he cracks the top-30. Which isn't bad, to be fair. 20 years have passed since he was last relevant, that is almost two entire generations of players, each of whom have had about 3-4 players with careers to match or surpass Pippen. If he was top-20 in the 90s, it's just normal that he starts to slide a bid as new stars build their CVs.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kawhi has been the beneficiary of some pretty amazing cir stances. He's a fantastic ball player but the traffic lights synchronized pretty well for him with injuries on other teams, timely moves of major NBA power players to the other conference, being traded to a team that already had the best conference record the prior year and the overall decay of the NBA in general. If he deserves accolades for anything, it's the ushering in of the "my pussy hurts" era. At least in Kobe's day he'd wait until he lost to use that as an excuse. Even then it would be "leaked" conveniently ala Lebron's hand.

One thing is for certain though, KL doesn't give 2 s about regular season awards.
    Yea kawahi Hates interviews so the awards lol. I said the same in another post and dudes said I’m just jealous but kawahi has been extremely fortunate. He was traded to SA where he played with the GOAT PF, Goat coach who took time to show him the ways, great vets in manu, diaw, Parker. He obviously was huge in 2014 but that spurs team was a ing machine and Duncan was not losing 2 in a row so for people to say he was the MAN in that series is lying. Even diaw could have won that award based on the impact he had. ( didn’t pop sub in diaw for splitter in the lineup ? I might be wrong ). Then he gets traded to a ECF team with the cavs broken up and faces a GS team with an injured KD and klay. That doesn’t mean kawahi isn’t a top player of all time but this is the year he shows he’s the best. If he goes through the west and wins the finals then we can begin the top 10-15 talk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's difficult to rank someone mid-way through their career, but he's certainly on pace to be top 25. Very rarely does someone solidify their ranking in the first half of their career - a notable exception being Tim Duncan, and to a lesser extent Lebron James. Lebron had a strong start statistically, but not with winning. Tim is a rare case of immediately being All-NBA and leading his team to a championship early in his career. I knew as early as 2003 that Tim was a top 10 player of all time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk. People forget he was struggling in the 14 playoffs and had 3 good finals games to win fmvp, then he choked hard in 2015 and didnt show up in 2016 either. Only in 2017 did he truly put it all together before he got hurt.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The Load of Manager gets no props from me. He's cheating the game. Imagine running a 26-mile marathon. Runner A runs the whole thing. Runner B starts at the 10 mile mark. Runner B wins.

Should we give props to Runner B? It's like giving props to a team who won a "championship" during a 50-game season, then comparing them to all other champions who played all 82.

Both are wrong and immoral tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi 2019 NBA Champion, not the Spurs

Thread Information