Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What am I making up? You were the one making up some scenario about Walker. I'm just pointing at stats, tbh.

I haven't argued that they are -- I've pointed out that it's weird to blame that on cHaLlEnGes.

In less than a third of games has a coach used a challenge. Does that mean ~70% of the time NBA coaches lack engagement?

"Whether a coach is engaged is based on if he uses a challenge." Weird theory but I guess we'll see how that plays out.
    You are making up the stuff about players “saying” they are not going to try if the coach doesn’t challenge. If it were just the challenges, which you seem to be framing, then yeah, that would be silly. But 70% of the teams don’t seem to have an issue with playing hard and being engaged.

Again, it’s not that a coach is “only engaged” if he’s using a challenge. But factoring in the other issues here, we are saying if FEELS like an engagement issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use the search function()
    Good idea.

I've hated on Bryn for a while now and last I checked that loser is pretty young.
    Bryn's redemption arc is complete with me, it's beautiful.....

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...=1#post9957250
    Hmmm. Doctrine revision isn't easy when the search function is operation.

Speaking of dodging, do you think Pop will/should challenge a call this entire season?
    Will he? Yes. Should he? Yes. The fact that he hasn't yet isn't statistically notable. The chances he would have used a challenge based on the rate coaches across the league are challenging calls is around 50%. In other words, it's a non-issue. If he's 0-for-20, I can get on this bandwagon with you to DPG. For now, it's an insignificant observation.

Or are you saying that you'd rather have an extra timeout instead of a possible 4-6 point swing?
    According to you, you'd challenge even if it had a 10% chance of being successful. That means you are valuing timeouts at about .5 points -- and that's assuming every successful challenge results in a 4-6 point swing.

BTW, a 6-point swing? You're banking on challenging made threes and hitting threes on the other end? That's a bold assumption coming from a Spurs fan

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the pOp ShOuLd cHaLlEnGe edgelords out there, what do you think about this call against Lou Williams not being reversed?

Of all the things to question Pop about, not participating in this dumbass challenge system isn't on of them. I had seen that clip of Bledsoe leaning in and then throwing his head back. I'm not sure there was even any contact. If they can't overturn based on that, screw 'em. Just play the game and quit thinking about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody is blaming the lack of challenges for why the team looks like .
    Are we reading the same thread about "lack of engagement" caused by lack of challenges?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bogans and Cunningham were both old so they fit the edgelord doctrine. Repeat, does the fact Lyles is young and inexperienced cause a philosophical dilemma for edgelords? No dodging.

Stats say Pop draws up some of the most effective plays out of timeouts. And it's been that way for years.
    Lyles had played 4 seasons and logged 5051 minutes entering this season. That's about the average NBA career, so he no longer qualifies as "young and inexperienced"; he's more like a young veteran. He's also ostensibly the default starter considering: 1) Aldridge-Poeltl are untenable, 2) Their determination to make Gay a bench scorer, 3) Their desire to start as traditionally as they can get away with, which rules out Carroll.

I don't remember the writer/season, but it was a few seasons ago and the numbers on him weren't what the reputation suggests (granted, they didn't encompass the entirety of his tenure).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop has no problems calling timeouts when the other team goes on a 4-0 run... has no problem committing technicals and giving the other team points to complain about calls, but suddenly we're drawing the line at using a challenge every now and again because the risk of losing a timeout is so great?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are making up the stuff about players “saying” they are not going to try if the coach doesn’t challenge.
    I'm not the one equating challenges to engagement.

we are saying if FEELS like an engagement issue.
    A coach not using a challenge contributes to you FEELING like he's not engaged? Interesting hypothesis but I disagree considering the numbers don't point to it being significant yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we reading the same thread about "lack of engagement" caused by lack of challenges?
    Lack of engagement is why the team looks bad. Challenges are not the sole issue of that. It’s one of many observations as to finding out why and that from an appearances perspective (whether valid or measurable) it comes off that way (to me, can’t speak for others).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not the one equating challenges to engagement.

A coach not using a challenge contributes to you FEELING like he's not engaged? Interesting hypothesis but I disagree considering the numbers don't point to it being significant yet.
    A coach playing Beli, Mills and not playing White/Murray (less Murray due to mins restriction) contributes to me feeling like he’s not engaged. Poor irrational rotations and not calling out LMA or others for a completely unacceptable effort level contributes to me feeling like he’s not engaged.

Him not challenging? Yeah, it adds to that feeling to me that he’s just not fully engaged.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him not challenging? Yeah, it adds to that feeling to me that he’s just not fully engaged.
    Alright, that's what I've been saying. Thanks for clearing it up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm. Doctrine revision isn't easy when the search function is operation.
    Props for finding my 1 positive Bryn quote tbh. Apparently Trey Lyles getting a few minutes less than DWhite per game means Pop plays his "guys" is an invalid take now.

Will he? Yes. Should he? Yes. The fact that he hasn't yet isn't statistically notable. The chances he would have used a challenge based on the rate coaches across the league are challenging calls is around 50%. In other words, it's a non-issue. If he's 0-for-20, I can get on this bandwagon with you to DPG. For now, it's an insignificant observation.

According to you, you'd challenge even if it had a 10% chance of being successful. That means you are valuing timeouts at about .5 points -- and that's assuming every successful challenge results in a 4-6 point swing.

BTW, a 6-point swing? You're banking on challenging made threes and hitting threes on the other end? That's a bold assumption coming from a Spurs fan

Noted regarding Game 20 (though 1/4 through the season seems a little crazy to me but it's your site ). I'm genuinely curious to see whether he actually does challenge tbh. I'll be happy to eat crow on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does Pop preach defense and then goes and plays Patty Mills, Marco Belinelli and other bad defenders heavy minutes? Even sometimes making them guard the best offensive player on the other team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think DPG is saying lack of challenges are the reason the team is uncompe ive but rather a symptom of it. And I agree. Coach has no fire anymore and the fact that he won't even stick up for his players and challenge a single call is a symptom of the overall disengagement. Pop is seriously just mailing it in right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does Pop preach defense and then goes and plays Patty Mills, Marco Belinelli and other bad defenders heavy minutes? Even sometimes making them guard the best offensive player on the other team?
    Patty on Young was gold tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only heavy minutes but plays those losers together.

pattyguardingdurant.jpg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty on Young was gold tbh.
    ing DeRozan was guarding Anthony Davis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that part

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bEcAuSe ThEyRe FlOoR sPaCeRs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing DeRozan was guarding Anthony Davis
    Holy I had already forgotten about that. Jesus Christ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Million Dollar Question

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I know is if Pop is in my face and benching me for missing a rotation the 30 seconds I'm out there...and I look out on the court and see Patty Belinelli get absolutely roasted possession after possession with absolute zero repercussion....

Or if I kept hearing whether directly or through the media..."I wish he could just be more like Manu or TP"...

I'd probably say off, old man.

The schtick gets old tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I know is if Pop is in my face and benching me for missing a rotation the 30 seconds I'm out there...and I look out on the court and see Patty Belinelli get absolutely roasted possession after possession with absolute zero repercussion....

Or if I kept hearing whether directly or through the media..."I wish he could just be more like Manu or TP"...

I'd probably say off, old man.

The schtick gets old tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a question, but

cant wait for the inevitable "yeah but did you see lonnie in those 53 seconds? he didnt fight through enough screens. NON COMPE IVE"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Dejounte closed a game tbh? Outside of him playing that last defensive possession against the Wizards, I can't remember him playing in the last 2-3 minutes of any other game. Could be wrong but if not, seems weird tbh.

Thread Information