Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We need shooters because we constructed a 2019 roster that features two re s who can't shoot farther than 20 feet"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone ing tell Pop that shooters can play defense too. They're called 3&D guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take that Edgelords!
    crofl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "A coach's challenge and we saw Lonnie, Dejounte, and Derrick all play together tonight.

Don't want to hear any more from you, Edgelords."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take that Edgelords!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because the theoretical space these "shooters"who can't shoot provide is more important than the atrocious defense they actually provide
    fixed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carroll was signed because it was obvious last year that the Spurs needed a 3/4 with defensive chops. Cunningham might have looked the part but it became quickly obvious that he wasn't up to the task.

So what has happened so far this year? Good question. The way it looks to me:

-Losing out on Morris changed the equation quite a bit. Morris gives you a bulk three-point shooter, so Belinelli could be traded/waived or whatever the Spurs were about to do with him until the Morris situation fell apart. Losing a bulk three-point shooter is a big deal on this roster and Belinelli being a bulk three-point shooter is the reason why he's playing.

-Belinelli goes from gone to backup SF, which cuts off one avenue for Carroll to get minutes. We can all argue whether Belinelli is worthy of minutes (I'd be happy if he was waived tomorrow, FWIW) but it's clear that the Spurs need shooting. They really, really need shooting. Belinelli, in theory, provides that in bulk.

-No way the Spurs signed Lyles thinking he'd be an everyday starter on Day 1. That's been a surprise to everyone. Many here thought he wasn't even worth picking up for a minimum contract. But Lyles picked up things fast, was the best fit at a position of need and is currently soaking up minutes and cutting off another avenue for Carroll to get minutes.

-It's still really early. Gay is going to miss his ~20 games. Belinelli is on the edge of getting benched a la Cunningham last year. I'm still confident that Carroll is going to have a role before too much longer. And, really, he's such a plug-and-play ready player that he'll only need a game or two to defrost.

-Spurs fans haven't updated their operating system in a while, tbh. Carroll's $7 million might sound like a lot of money but it really isn't. $7 million in today's cap would have been $1.9 million in the 1999 cap or even $3.7 million in the 2014 cap. No one would be melting down about wasted money if Gerard King wasn't playing in 1999 or Matt Bonner wasn't playing in 2014. Carroll is being paid 1/15th of the cap so it's not the big deal it sounds like when you first hear the $7,000,000 figure. That's chump change today, tbh.

In training camp, Pop did mention something about making sure the guys who played in the World Cup got enough rest. He let White and Mills sit a few days during training camp.

But, yeah, he didn't announce that White is on a minutes restriction so it's tough to use that as an excuse and I haven't used that as an excuse for Pop. On one hand, it makes sense that he could be forcing himself to rest them by only allowing one to play at a time. Can't really overplay either one when it's not possible for them to combine to play more than 48 minutes and Murray is being held to 22-25 minutes (*point to head*). On the other hand, Pop could just be making repeated bad decisions. I can't tell so far.

But soon enough, once Murray's minutes restriction is relaxed, we'll get a much better idea. If Murray is playing 30 MPG and White is playing 18 MPG, Pop would need an intervention, tbh.

Do I think there's a chance Pop will wait too long to go with it? Yeah, there's that chance. I was floored when we didn't see Murray-White in the preseason so I'm not putting anything past Pop right now. Tbh, the number one thing I was looking forward to this season was watching Murray and White play defense against opposing guards. The fact that we've seen, what, like two and a half minutes of it all season hurts and will still hurt until it eventually happens -- whether it's next week, next month or when the chips are down in the first round with the Spurs facing elimination in Game 5 on the road
    The money Carroll makes is not why people are upset (IMO). It’s not that. It’s that everyone wanted a “win now” team to improve and SA refused to make any trades so the MLE was the only avenue to improve and they used it on a guy..........who can’t crack the rotation on a medicore team? Over Beli?

Has nothing to do with the dollar amount and more about that he represents the Spurs truly half assed approach the past couple years. They had a full season last year to evaluate DeRozan/LMA and their response to THEIR decision to choose a DeRozan led package was to stand mostly pat and sign Carroll?

Ok, but that is not very good front officing, do you agree? I don’t blame them for Morris, but this is a results business and quite frankly they have built a pretty crappy roster compounded by a team with no leadership, coach or otherwise it appears.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm planting this stake in the ground tbh:

1) They've quit on Pop
    2) Becky would get more out of them.

What a ing sad timeline....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are we starting 2 3rd stringers while a legit starter is collecting DNPs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was nice to see Pop off the bench and lifting his arms - glad hes’ getting some cardio in. Hopefully he will start taking responsibility for the roster he built, the rotations he chooses and make some changes to this unacceptable level of defense he preaches so feverishly about.

If he’s more than words, then it’s time to take actions and show you aren’t just going through the motions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The money Carroll makes is not why people are upset (IMO). It’s not that. It’s that everyone wanted a “win now” team to improve and SA refused to make any trades so the MLE was the only avenue to improve and they used it on a guy..........who can’t crack the rotation on a medicore team? Over Beli?

Has nothing to do with the dollar amount and more about that he represents the Spurs truly half assed approach the past couple years. They had a full season last year to evaluate DeRozan/LMA and their response to THEIR decision to choose a DeRozan led package was to stand mostly pat and sign Carroll?

Ok, but that is not very good front officing, do you agree? I don’t blame them for Morris, but this is a results business and quite frankly they have built a pretty crappy roster compounded by a team with no leadership, coach or otherwise it appears.
    Carroll was not signed with the MLE. Morris was.

I'm planting this stake in the ground tbh:

1) They've quit on Pop
    2) Becky would get more out of them.

What a ing sad timeline....
    *Need to say E-word intensifying*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They were originally using mle funds on Carroll. They then changed course and used the trade exception when they thought Morris was happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sorry, you are correct. I forgot that he was the MLE player, but then Morris happened so they were able to make that deal. Still, point remains overall, but it’s MLE type money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all seriousness, saying this team has quit on Pop isn't a hot take like at all tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But besides correcting a technicality, nothing to address the overarching point timvp? The money Carroll was signed with was not the critical part; it was that SA (run by Pop) chose DeRozan. They chose “win-now”. And now? What have they done to justify that decision?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not like most rational Spurs fans want to call out Pop and the team. It would be one thing if this team was making strides, being compe ive and just losing games on a tough schedule.

It’s the irrational coaching, the getting blown out and the complete lack of defense or compe ive spirit that leads to these questions and do people not agree that these are justifiable questions based on the actual results?

You lose games, ok. But to just have so many games/halves/quarters where you completely quit and disengage is not acceptable at any level let alone for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all seriousness, saying this team has quit on Pop isn't a hot take like at all tbh.
    True, by definition. The only sniffer who even dares to enter this thread is me and even I'm not going to challenge you on it, tbh. I think the Spurs problems are deeping than coaching and a lot of it is Spurs fans adjusting to how the real NBA operates outside of the Big Three dreamland we lived in for two decades ... but, I mean, blaming Pop is what about 90% of ST does. Pretty cold take given the company, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But besides correcting a technicality, nothing to address the overarching point timvp? The money Carroll was signed with was not the critical part; it was that SA (run by Pop) chose DeRozan. They chose “win-now”. And now? What have they done to justify that decision?
    It’s not like most rational Spurs fans want to call out Pop and the team. It would be one thing if this team was making strides, being compe ive and just losing games on a tough schedule.

It’s the irrational coaching, the getting blown out and the complete lack of defense or compe ive spirit that leads to these questions and do people not agree that these are justifiable questions based on the actual results?

You lose games, ok. But to just have so many games/halves/quarters where you completely quit and disengage is not acceptable at any level let alone for the Spurs.
    Welcome to the real NBA, tbh. Winning is hard, especially when you don't have a superstar.

Question: If the best basketball coach in the world were coaching the Spurs, how much of a difference would it make? Would these Spurs be championship contenders?

IMO, you guys are putting too much stock in ambiguous theories like "not enough engagement", "need more compe ive fire", "team quit on the coach", etc. This is what it's like when the NBA team you root for doesn't have a superstar or anything close to a superstar, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, by definition. The only sniffer who even dares to enter this thread is me and even I'm not going to challenge you on it, tbh. I think the Spurs problems are deeping than coaching and a lot of it is Spurs fans adjusting to how the real NBA operates outside of the Big Three dreamland we lived in for two decades ... but, I mean, blaming Pop is what about 90% of ST does. Pretty cold take given the company, tbh.
    Wait....a few questions:

1) Who chose DeRozan over possible younger players and/or draft picks when Kawhi demanded a trade?

2) Who chose Mills, Beli and other vets in free agency?

3) Who dictates the playing time and is cobbling together the rotations to maximize what talent is on the roster?

4) Who made free agency decisions after this last season after seeing what they had in DeRozan/LMA combo?

No doubt that the talent on this team is a major issue and at some level no amount of coaching can make Mills/Forbes/Derozan/Beli good defenders. That is for sure and only so much to scheme.

But how did we get to this point and who has been making the decisions on playing time and roster construction and what deeper problem do you see?

Because the year Kawhi sat out, the team fought. They were fun to watch and we all knew they were not ultra talented or a real contender. That is the real NBA.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 11-13-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can’t believe the lead seat sniffer raybies has yet to answer one of these fine questions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to the real NBA, tbh. Winning is hard, especially when you don't have a superstar.

Question: If the best basketball coach in the world were coaching the Spurs, how much of a difference would it make? Would these Spurs be championship contenders?

IMO, you guys are putting too much stock in ambiguous theories like "not enough engagement", "need more compe ive fire", "team quit on the coach", etc. This is what it's like when the NBA team you root for doesn't have a superstar or anything close to a superstar, tbh.

I disagree some....Even with bad teams, you see a difference. You see the teams that are just really bad and quit and aren’t compe ive and their whole organization is a nightmare (Knicks, etc..). Then you see other teams that are bad record wise, but you don’t question their fight or effort; just the time needed for them to grow and build.

No one (at least not me) is asking for them to be legit contenders; that is unreasonable. But to be compe ive most nights? Yeah, I think this team has the talent to do that with better coaching and leadership.

If you don’t have that, then you have to make moves and pick a direction. But it all goes back to who made these decisions? Who chose DeRozan? Who decided not to offer up future picks to get more aggressive in the trade market and add talent and make moves to build a better roster?

Or the opposite - who decided to not move LMA or DeRozan to ac ulate more picks/young players even if not spectacular? Because this right here is literally worst case scenario. You have a team that has no fight, no ceiling and is turning fans off majorly while embarrassing themselves nightly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deeper than coaching? So you mean Pop the exec? Because he put this team together tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait....a few questions:

1) Who chose DeRozan over possible younger players and/or draft picks when Kawhi demanded a trade?

2) Who chose Mills, Beli and other vets in free agency?

3) Who dictates the playing time and is cobbling together the rotations to maximize what talent is on the roster?

4) Who made free agency decisions after this last season after seeing what they had in DeRozan/LMA combo?

No doubt that the talent on this team is a major issue and at some level no amount of coaching can make Mills/Forbes/Derozan/Beli good defenders. That is for sure and only so much to scheme.

But how did we get to this point and who has been making the decisions on playing time and roster construction and what deeper problem do you see
    You want me to answer the rhetorical questions, tbh?

Bottom line is the Spurs would be going on their 30th year of sustained championship aspirations if the Nephew situation didn't blow up. The Spurs' front office had somehow managed to keep the Spurs in championship contention even after the Big Three Era ended -- until Nephew wanted to go home. That's amazing, tbh. No one thought the championship window could extend that far. Not the sniffiest of the sniffers would have believed that.

But Neph wanted out and that ended the championship window after 29 years or whatever it was. Who the Spurs signed with the MLE or which trade they took when losing their superstar? What difference, at this point, does it make?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree some....Even with bad teams, you see a difference. You see the teams that are just really bad and quit and aren’t compe ive and their whole organization is a nightmare (Knicks, etc..). Then you see other teams that are bad record wise, but you don’t question their fight or effort; just the time needed for them to grow and build.

No one (at least not me) is asking for them to be legit contenders; that is unreasonable. But to be compe ive most nights? Yeah, I think this team has the talent to do that with better coaching and leadership.

If you don’t have that, then you have to make moves and pick a direction. But it all goes back to who made these decisions? Who chose DeRozan? Who decided not to offer up future picks to get more aggressive in the trade market and add talent and make moves to build a better roster?

Or the opposite - who decided to not move LMA or DeRozan to ac ulate more picks/young players even if not spectacular? Because this right here is literally worst case scenario. You have a team that has no fight, no ceiling and is turning fans off majorly while embarrassing themselves nightly.
    So the best conceivable coach wouldn't make them championship contenders? Then why all the questions? Their distance from where you think they can max out and where they are isn't that great, tbh.

Thread Information