Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team with two multi-year All Stars, veteran players like Mills/Gay/Carroll, and young promising guys...

Should not look this bad. They haven't had a good win all year.

They look listless and poorly coached tbh. Everybody out there either looks like they're going through the motions or they're playing scared. That's compounded by lineups that make absolutely no sense, I mean rookie coaches would get absolutely flamed for some of the decisions so far this year.

I would think lion's share of blame for that should be on the coach and the FO that put that roster together tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team with two multi-year All Stars

I couldn't read past that, sorry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want me to answer the rhetorical questions, tbh?

Bottom line is the Spurs would be going on their 30th year of sustained championship aspirations if the Nephew situation didn't blow up. The Spurs' front office had somehow managed to keep the Spurs in championship contention even after the Big Three Era ended -- until Nephew wanted to go home. That's amazing, tbh. No one thought the championship window could extend that far. Not the sniffiest of the sniffers would have believed that.

But Neph wanted out and that ended the championship window after 29 years or whatever it was. Who the Spurs signed with the MLE or which trade they took when losing their superstar? What difference, at this point, does it make?
    My questions are rhetorical ?

It makes a huge difference. You don’t get to roll over and die and embarrass yourself just because Kawhi is a snake. It’s fair to say that you both dont blame SA for Kawhi but have to hold them accountable for their post Kawhi decisions, no?

This team is embarrassing; especially on defense. They have to find their way post Kawhi - he’s gone and that unreal run they had is over; even if it’s not their fault.

So choosing DeRozan and the future of the team and who they choose in free agency matters majorly. I’m not asking them to be insta-contenders and that is not the bar.

I’m asking them to justify their decision to try and be a compe ive, fringe playoff team that people can be proud to watch. Or, I am asking them to go the other way as painful as it is.

It’s no more painful than this and I’m sure it would at least be more exciting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody is asking for a championship level squad tbh. That ship sailed with Kawhi.

I think the bar right now is a team that looks like it gives a and coaching decisions that make a modi of sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the best conceivable coach wouldn't make them championship contenders? Then why all the questions? Their distance from where you think they can max out and where they are isn't that great, tbh.
    WTF ? I feel like I am taking crazy pills with you. Why all the questions? Because it’s their job and they make millions and it’s a team I support.

And yes, there is a big gap in what they are now (a team that gets routinely embarrassed on top of them quitting and not being any fun to watch) and where they can max out (a 2nd round playoff team that fights hard and you can be happy supporting).

IT’s not all or nothing and that’s just a weird way to frame this considering it’s kind of what we do; discuss the team and root for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like, if sa hadn’t stuck themself in neutral and made some more decisive bold moves, or even if they do that now (both trade DeRozan and change up rotations) they can make a vast improvement and that is what they should be doing.

Or they should trade DeRozan/LMa and tank and get whatever future based assets they can, agree?

I mean, I guess they can always do that at the deadline and I understand that, but this is demoralizing. There is a difference in putting up with the “real nba” knowing there is a sound plan (even if its an arduous journey with no guarantees) and this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I couldn't read past that, sorry.
    What's even funnier is that this amazing FO decided to guarantee the 2nd year of one of those All Stars when they had no reason to do so....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just find it incredibly odd that the owner of SpursTalk, who literally writes articles and grades games is asking “why all the fuss and questions, nephew? The team sucks so what’s the point if we can’t contend anymore”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and where they can max out (a 2nd round playoff team that fights hard and you can be happy supporting).
    Damn, so the Spurs were one win away from reaching your maxed out expectations last year? And were playing worse last year than they are this year? Interesting, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's even funnier is that this amazing FO decided to guarantee the 2nd year of one of those All Stars when they had no reason to do so....
    It's not guaranteed yet, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to the real NBA, tbh. Winning is hard, especially when you don't have a superstar.

Question: If the best basketball coach in the world were coaching the Spurs, how much of a difference would it make? Would these Spurs be championship contenders?

IMO, you guys are putting too much stock in ambiguous theories like "not enough engagement", "need more compe ive fire", "team quit on the coach", etc. This is what it's like when the NBA team you root for doesn't have a superstar or anything close to a superstar, tbh.
    That's not true. With the right coaching this team could easily have a 8-3 record. Especially if you factor in continuity and focus on defense. The main issue right now is coaching. Coach said focus since training camp is defense and what's the result? Bottom of the barrell defense. Why? Poor coaching and poor line ups. Keeping your better defenders on the bench while playing traffic cones is absolutely the coaches fault.
    Any dumbass on the internet sees that the Spurs need to play Walker and Carroll. they should probably play Keldon Jochnson too. Even Metu looks like he could help. But the old senile coach with cataracs can't see it. Last year this team was garbage on defense til they switched the schemes and started playing zone occassionally. I don't expect this to happen this time, cause this was most likely designed by Messina and Udoka. I'm not even sure if this 70-year old can see who is actually on the court.

White and Carroll have to start for Murray/Lyles. Also I would bench Forbes cause he can't guard a chair. Play DeRozan at the 2. Play Lyles with Carroll on the wings. Or Gay and Carroll. No team in the NBA would start Bryn in Forbes and Trey Lyles. Not even the washed up Warriors. This is 100% on the coach

Trading away Danny Green was a major mistake, cause it left you with 2 midgets that you have to play at SG now instead of a 3-and-D guy who was on a cheaper contract than one of those midgets, but he didn't buy the team coffee so he had to go.

By the way we are still paying Pau Gasol 5 million

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems to me that a big portion of the fanbase and the organization itself is going:

"Man, the Big 3 Era was great wasn't it? Who cares what we do now"

Crazy tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, so the Spurs were one win away from reaching your maxed out expectations last year? And were playing worse last year than they are this year? Interesting, tbh.
    Yes, SA was one win away from what I thought a realistic ceiling was. I think that is the same ceiling this year. But I don’t think SA was playing worse than this year.

The defense has fallen off a cliff, LmA looks checked out, Poeltl regressed and DeRozan is fluctuating between listless and lost and pretty good even if not ultra impactful.

Rudy has looked physically worse and the defense as a whole is so, so bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just find it incredibly odd that the owner of SpursTalk, who literally writes articles and grades games is asking “why all the fuss and questions, nephew? The team sucks so what’s the point if we can’t contend anymore”
    You're asking me rhetorical and/or unanswerable questions. I'm happy to sniff about things I can give an opinion on, tbh.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the sniffiest of the sniffers would have believed that.
    now that's something to aspire to tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just can’t believe that Pop still has this much control over the team at his age. We are still seriously having questions about the coaching strategies of a 70 year old man who still controls every micro inch of room on this team after 23 years.

The dude should be gone, period. All this back and forth is pointless as long as he is still coaching the team because nobody knows what the he’s trying to do, not even the players, and it’s shows.

Too much discussion over “what the is Pop doing” instead of seeing a direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're asking me rhetorical and/or unanswerable questions. I'm happy to sniff about things I can give an opinion on, tbh.
    How are they unanswerable? I get you can’t quantify or measure leadership or effort. Ok, I get that.

But the team building aspect? The rotations? The minute distribution? The decision to be stuck in neutral and not either justify the win-now (Meaning compe ive playoff team) mindset or go the opposite direction?

Those are valid questions that should be discussed and evaluated and judged.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How are they unanswerable? I get you can’t quantify or measure leadership or effort. Ok, I get that.

But the team building aspect? The rotations? The minute distribution? The decision to be stuck in neutral and not either justify the win-now (Meaning compe ive playoff team) mindset or go the opposite direction?

Those are valid questions that should be discussed and evaluated and judged.
    You just asked five more questions that aren't really answerable.

Since this is a Q/A thread, lay out the questions you want me to answer specifically and I'll do my best to answer what you want me to answer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were originally using mle funds on Carroll. They then changed course and used the trade exception when they thought Morris was happening.
    True. Wow I had forgotten that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess let’s level set:

1) What do you expect from the Spurs/Front Office now that we know Kawhi is gone? Me? I expect them to expertly and honestly evaluate the team and do what is best. Either compete now and make the proper moves to do so or go for the rebuild. I don’t expect them to coast on past accomplishments and field a wildly un-fun and uncompe ive team with no upside.

2) How do Spurs fans judge the team now? What should we all be looking for? Me? I want the team to be fun. I hold no expectation that SA should lure a superstar in FA and build a contender right away. But I expect the team to be focused, prepared and battle even in losses.

3) When should we expect decisions to be made on the future of this team? Me? Now, Right Now. It’s clear the time is now. I don’t even care which direction they go; they just have to do something because this is the most unacceptable thing in the NBA - a team that can go no where without changes that doesn’t provide entertainment short term or a bright future/hope longer term.

4) Until changes can be made, what is realistic to expect from an engaged team and coach in terms of quality of play, rotations and minutes distribution?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ignore Deep's questions tbh and answer me this:

How is LJ short for Tim?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want me to answer the rhetorical questions, tbh?

Bottom line is the Spurs would be going on their 30th year of sustained championship aspirations if the Nephew situation didn't blow up. The Spurs' front office had somehow managed to keep the Spurs in championship contention even after the Big Three Era ended -- until Nephew wanted to go home. That's amazing, tbh. No one thought the championship window could extend that far. Not the sniffiest of the sniffers would have believed that.

But Neph wanted out and that ended the championship window after 29 years or whatever it was. Who the Spurs signed with the MLE or which trade they took when losing their superstar? What difference, at this point, does it make?
    And one side note; I have been traditionally on the sniffer side and been accused of that so much . I always usually saw the sunny side and supported the suboptimal decisions (Pau/Mills) in a bubble because I knew SA had done the impossible with keeping SA a contender post big3.

But now? Those questions I asked, in particular which trade they took and their mindset matters greatly because there is still a team to run to the best of their ability. A team I still love and want to enjoy (not just talking about wins/losses either)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess let’s level set:

1) What do you expect from the Spurs/Front Office now that we know Kawhi is gone? Me? I expect them to expertly and honestly evaluate the team and do what is best. Either compete now and make the proper moves to do so or go for the rebuild. I don’t expect them to coast on past accomplishments and field a wildly un-fun and uncompe ive team with no upside.

2) How do Spurs fans judge the team now? What should we all be looking for? Me? I want the team to be fun. I hold no expectation that SA should lure a superstar in FA and build a contender right away. But I expect the team to be focused, prepared and battle even in losses.

3) When should we expect decisions to be made on the future of this team? Me? Now, Right Now. It’s clear the time is now. I don’t even care which direction they go; they just have to do something because this is the most unacceptable thing in the NBA - a team that can go no where without changes that doesn’t provide entertainment short term or a bright future/hope longer term.

4) Until changes can be made, what is realistic to expect from an engaged team and coach in terms of quality of play, rotations and minutes distribution?
    1) Good answer to your own question. I pretty much agree. However, the Spurs operate slowly. They always have -- and it has served them well. We don't know if they are trying to compete or if they are trying to go for a rebuild. Them not extending DeRozan sounds more like a slower motion rebuild. I agree with taking their time and avoiding costly blunders. Blowing it up right away doesn't help anything if the moves aren't good ones. Not all draft picks are Robinson and Duncan, so you have to have a deeper plan than simply to tear it down to the foundation.

2) Disagree with your answer. Fun? IDGAF about fun, tbh. I want the Spurs to win. And teams that "focus, prepare and battle" don't lose many games, tbh, so that's some circular logic there. I think Spurs fans should judge them on if they believe the Spurs are on the right path. Personally, I think it's tough to tell but I'm hopeful.

3) See, this is where we disagree. You want something to happen RIGHT NOW!! while I want smart moves. I don't care about the timeline of the moves. Make wise decisions; that's all I care about.

4) Well, to be fair, you said the sign of an engaged coach is one who challenges calls. That happened tonight so you must have been happy with that, I assume. This question overall though is too vague to answer. Need more specific questions unless you're expecting me to write a novel off of your writing prompt.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, not even the guy that gets his seat sniffed had the wrinkly balls to do a Q&A tonight.

16 second presser from Craterface

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And one side note; I have been traditionally on the sniffer side and been accused of that so much . I always usually saw the sunny side and supported the suboptimal decisions (Pau/Mills) in a bubble because I knew SA had done the impossible with keeping SA a contender post big3.

But now? Those questions I asked, in particular which trade they took and their mindset matters greatly because there is still a team to run to the best of their ability. A team I still love and want to enjoy (not just talking about wins/losses either)
    No offense intended but it's easy to sniff when the team you root for is a championship contender blessed with at least one superstar. Holding onto the sniffer card when the real NBA hits is the calling card of sniffing greatness.

Thread Information