Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/lamarcus-a...matic-big-man/

He is averaging career lows across the board in almost every major category since his rookie season

EDIT: And I'm averaging a career low in spelling his last name right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which poster is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which poster is that?
    Stop it, you're making me blush

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The main concern is not that though. The main concern is that he came into training camp in shape. Usually he's out of shape and needs like 20 games to get it going. But this season he came in fit from the get go. Pop even praised him for it, so you'd expect him to play well from the jump. I think he's just going trough the motions and will get back to last years form at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's just going trough the motions
    tbh

Also, this offense in general is a dumpster fire. Our PGs aren’t running sets properly, the rotations are ed up/works in progress, PGs on minutes restrictions, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh

Also, this offense in general is a dumpster fire. Our PGs aren’t running sets properly, the rotations are ed up/works in progress, PGs on minutes restrictions, etc
    It's also that Murray is not as good at finding him as Derrick White is. White used to get LA 3-4 easy buckets per game. That's enough to make him catch fire. Derrick is better at feeding Aldridge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The main concern is not that though. The main concern is that he came into training camp in shape. Usually he's out of shape and needs like 20 games to get it going. But this season he came in fit from the get go. Pop even praised him for it, so you'd expect him to play well from the jump. I think he's just going trough the motions and will get back to last years form at some point.
    He had a rough start to last season and still ended up looking like an all star. But I agree, he looks very disengaged which is odd as you’d figure the Spurs guaranteeing the remainder of his deal would let him know they still want him.

But then again...and I could be reaching here...does Aldridge still want the Spurs? He did say he was interested in teaming up with Lillard again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also that Murray is not as good at finding him as Derrick White is. White used to get LA 3-4 easy buckets per game. That's enough to make him catch fire. Derrick is better at feeding Aldridge
    Also true. White and DeMar were both distributing masterfully at times last season, and not overlapping times usually, so LMA was getting touches and easy looks pretty much the whole time. The previous season Kyle Anderson was running the offense and dropping dimes for him. Even guys like Purrtl are suffering this year from lack of offensive execution.

Also with the increased pace, he’s not fitting in as well.

Today’s NBA and all

And he’s a year older as was mentioned in the article. At this age IIRC Duncan also started declining. When you don’t have young legs, your jumper begins to suffer. LMA may need to adapt his technique again to continue his scoring averages as he ages.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also true. White and DeMar were both distributing masterfully at times last season, and not overlapping times usually, so LMA was getting touches and easy looks pretty much the whole time. The previous season Kyle Anderson was running the offense and dropping dimes for him. Even guys like Purrtl are suffering this year from lack of offensive execution.

Also with the increased pace, he’s not fitting in as well.

Today’s NBA and all

And he’s a year older as was mentioned in the article. At this age IIRC Duncan also started declining. When you don’t have young legs, your jumper begins to suffer. LMA may need to adapt his technique again to continue his scoring averages as he ages.
    Duncan took a lot less jump shots from 2010-2016. A lot of his points during that time period came from simple post ups, cutters, and being set up for easy layups/dunks from his teammates. Ideally I would love to see LA embrace that type of role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well done OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks buddy

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    it won't surprise me when he requests a trade and i wouldn't blame him for it.

he wants to score and not worry about hustling back on d / being the 5. AD doesn't wanna play the 5 either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge has a few more years of playing at the sometimes frustrating level he's been playing at.

Don't worry, he'll be back to that fairly soon (and that will help the bottom line).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use him as a stretch 5 & let White, Murray & DeRozan do the creating. At least he has gravity that way & isn't clogging up the court.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 34, he's not going to be able to have the energy to consistently play at a high level. Expect to see a lot of this version of Aldridge for the first half of the season, especially having to be the main inside defender. He's also been playing more minutes than he should be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think it’s just he’s not the focus as much anymore. He’s been known to whine about his touches and such. Perhaps there’s something else than coasting but at this moment I don’t know what it is. I have thought not just about the “touches” factor but perhaps him getting old he’s letting others step into the light. Surprise! If LMA doesn’t bring the A game Spurs aren’t winning much anyways. There could be something behind closed doors we don’t know about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The touches factor

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a good article. That's pretty much the story - what the is going on with LMA? Is he declining? Disgruntled (again)? Being affected by lineup problems? Or just off to a bad start?

The problem is that any of the above are real possibilities. I know that if he doesn't get it in gear, this team isn't making the playoffs. So the cause for concern is CAN he get it in gear.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can always forgive a player’s limits. Danny Green couldn’t dribble and that was ok. What I can’t stand is when a player is capable and just doesn’t. Aldridge can still ball out. But he just...isn’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him and White had a real connection last year. Murray and LMA have zero chemistry which is one of the reasons why I wanted White starting. It’s gonna take time for LMA to get used to playing with Murray and vice versa. But honestly at this point in his career, he isn’t going to bring it every night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him and White had a real connection last year. Murray and LMA have zero chemistry which is one of the reasons why I wanted White starting
    Or start Murray and White, which everyone here was begging for/expecting, given White's performance last year. Relegating White to the bench killed his confidence. Instead we have another year of Mills/Forbes and to add to that, Belinelli stealing Walker's minutes (granted Walker ing sucks but still, might as well play him as he's young with potential, and Beli is shooting terribly, which is his only skill).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There could be something behind closed doors we don’t know about.
    I was thinking that as well. Hopefully it's just early in the season and he'll bounce back....hopefully tomorrow when I drive through the rain to the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think it’s just he’s not the focus as much anymore. He’s been known to whine about his touches and such. Perhaps there’s something else than coasting but at this moment I don’t know what it is. I have thought not just about the “touches” factor but perhaps him getting old he’s letting others step into the light. Surprise! If LMA doesn’t bring the A game Spurs aren’t winning much anyways. There could be something behind closed doors we don’t know about.
    I mean SA just showed him the ultimate respect a guaranteed his deal super early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a good article. That's pretty much the story - what the is going on with LMA? Is he declining? Disgruntled (again)? Being affected by lineup problems? Or just off to a bad start?

The problem is that any of the above are real possibilities. I know that if he doesn't get it in gear, this team isn't making the playoffs. So the cause for concern is CAN he get it in gear.
    About a year ago I asked if there was still a market for LMA, as he was playing like . As soon as the PGs started to run a better flow and offense was more fluid, LMA benefitted and was his old self again. I hope it will be case again.

It all boils down to the kind of offense Pop manages to implement. Right now it sucks but we aren't even 10% of the season in. If it was January it would a different story, right now it is just the usual work in progress. Too many new pieces/positions to fit in, missing Bertans and having Murray change so much the subs pattern and offensive positions, it takes time.

As much as I was worried about LMA a year ago, I am now confident it is just a matter of time. Until Murray becomes a better PG (let's not get fooled here by his flashy spurts, he is not making the others better at this stage. He will soon, by december the machine will be well oiled)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also have a slow start last season, didn't he?

Thread Information