6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what this dude's talking about exactly. But apparently he's "xenophobic" and had to go.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl...cid=spartanntp

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    “You people … you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that,” Cherry said Saturday night on “Coach’s Corner,” a popular segment on Hockey Night in Canada.

“These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price.”

A poppy is a ribbon for rememberance day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That twerp has been spewing racist rants and advocating violence for years

A little bit too late tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did he mean by "poppy"?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did he mean by "poppy"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poppies are traditionally worn on Remembrance Day in Canada, inspired by the World War I poem “In Flanders Fields,” in which the author, John McCrae, writes of the poppies in the field where soldiers died. The idea for the poppies as a symbol of remembrance was conceived by American professor Moina Michael.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The backlash to Cherry’s commentary was immediate and overwhelming. According to CTV — Canada’s main news network — so many viewers took issue with his comments that the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council could no longer accept formal complaints.
    Sportsnet president Bart Yabley issued a brief statement Sunday: “We have spoken with Don about the severity of this issue and we sincerely apologize for these divisive remarks.’’
    Cherry was not part of Sunday’s broadcast. Fellow broadcaster Ron MacLean apologized at the top of the broadcast, but Cherry had not made a public statement. He did tell a Toronto Sun reporter Sunday, “I have had my say.”
    Cherry coached the Bruins from the 1974-75 to 1978-79 seasons, leading them to back-to-back losses in the Stanley Cup Final in 1976-77 and 1977-78. In Game 7 of the 1979 Eastern Conference Finals against the rival Canadiens, the Bruins led with three minutes remaining but were called for a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty. The Canadiens tied the game and won in overtime, going on to win the Cup. Cherry was fired after the season.
    Cherry joined CBC’s hockey coverage in the early ’80s, and he’s been partnered with MacLean on Coach’s Corner – where he traditionally shared his opinions – since 1986.
    Cherry found his way into hot water before. In 2013, he defended Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith’s rude treatment of a female reporter by saying women didn’t belong in the locker room. He once called a concussion settlement a “money grab” by former players. He also labeled a trio of retired enforcers, among them former Bruin Chris Nilan, as “pukes” when they spoke out about the dangers of the job.

Thread Information