Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...ember-11-2019/

tl;dr: Tony Parker's jersey retirement was fun to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand DJM needs as much of confidence as possible, but are we sure the best way to get it is playing in the starting line up?
    After his big contract he already knows patfo has full confidence in him...but maybe play in the second unit against weaker players could do better for his confidence...because its impossible to hide that, at least imho, he is the main reason our team is struggling so much. He's showing none to limited play making skills, is reckless in his offensive choices and lose or risk to lose the ball too much...that's the anthitesis of a point guard deserving confidence from his teammates.
    Our game starting quarters prove that...also in games where we start strong due to enthusiasm (like against the Celtics).
    On top of that he seems to abuse the confidence that patfo is giving to him, he calls his number too often and quite never tries the supposed improved outside shot or three point shot he supposedly improved, and so putting his health at risk trying to penetrate the opposite defense anytime he sees a minimum space (ending a lot of time with his body on the floor).
    After last season, after proving to be a balanced point guard that deserved the confidence of the assumed all stars of the team, White deserved to start and after a one year without playing DJM needed to re gain playing time beginning from the bench and possibly with players he already knew well (like Forbes).
    imho that's been the biggest mistake of this season...time for our patfo to admit it and get over themselves...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was really cool to watch. Shows you the Bond these guys had together over nearly 2 decades, such a rare thing to find in professional sport these days and a reminder of how lucky us Spurs fans were.
    Thanks for the grades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand DJM needs as much of confidence as possible, but are we sure the best way to get it is playing in the starting line up?
    White is also very inconsistent but maybe it is indeed time to switch it up in the SL, but also to have both on the court together for better defense at some points during the game (especially in the end).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the season progresses, Murray's flaws are being exposed! He's got talent, but his mindset is focused on the spectacular play. Thing is, his athleticism is good but not elite!

White is a more cerebral player. But he's not as long or quick as Murray. He doesn't have elite athleticism, just slightly above average. But he still hasn't developed the consistency needed to carry the team.

The 3 best players remain to be Aldrige, DeRozan and Gay. That's the limit of the potential of this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP’s retirement ended the glory days. Thank you Tony for the memories. It was hard to swallow the team that I am watching right now. They looked uninterested, out of touch? There is no sense of urgency? Or just plain bonehead. Starting with the head of the snake, LaMarsha Charmin Soft Aldridge. This guy is a loser. Just ship him out. Starts the game with perimeter shots, no defense, prima dona. Bonehead Demar whose game is antiquated and chokes on the line, if his life depended on it. Murray, while has the enthusiasm to compete, seems to have hit the wall. Reality check. This is the NBA and not the practice gym. I can’t believe what I’m seeing. Beat by the lowly Grizzlies at the night honoring Spurs’ greatest PG, in front of his family and friends who came a long way. There is no pride to this team. We were so spoiled for the longest time. And F%ck you Kawhi for derailing the system.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Grizzlies aren’t overly talented but their perimeter players are either speedy or burly, which is bad news for players like Forbes and Mills."

Well that's a big problem. It's the freakin' NBA. Guys who aren't speedy and/or burly cant make most teams. (*MOST* teams.) You're saying out loud that the Spurs have two players getting big minutes who can't compete against NBA-caliber players. Really three players, but you didn't include Beli. There's an old saying that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Mills, Beli, and Forbes would be weak links on pretty much every team in the league. They are HOV lanes on the hardwood highway.

And I'm sorry, but the generosity toward Pop is just too much to take. Never mind recapping the whole game - the last minutes of a close game are critical, and Pop was awful. Nowhere was that more apparent than having DDR shoot the T at the very end. Crowder was an idiot, and gave the Spurs life by screaming at the refs. If that technical free throw goes down, the Spurs can still take the game to O/T with a 3P shot. It may have been a small chance to get a W, but it was a legitimate chance. And Pop threw it away. (Be honest - is there anyone here who didn't see that clank coming?) We Spurs fans have always admired and cheered for players who never give up until the final buzzer has sounded. How can we admire or cheer for a coach who does less?

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate saying this because I love Forbes’s feel good story, but he looks like a 5 minute at a time situational/role player. He can score it up sometimes and he’s great to break the seal on the basket but his lacking defense can’t be ignored anymore. A few less minutes and maybe narrower windows on the floor would help defensively in my non professional opinion. It wouldn’t fix all defensive woes, but I can’t help but think it would help. And the front court has got to give a crap on defense.

This offense isn’t wonderful, but man with some improved defense, our guys probably sit at 7-3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This offense isn’t wonderful, but man with some improved defense, our guys probably sit at 7-3

I know a lot of people here think Samanic is the Great White Hope (I don't). But imagine this team's defense if the Spurs had said "Matisse Thybulle" instead of Luka Samanic. I don't know if Thybulle's 3P% will ever live up to college, but so far he's shooting them almost as good as Beli. But that D - think about Thybulle getting 100% of Beli's minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know a lot of people here think Samanic is the Great White Hope (I don't). But imagine this team's defense if the Spurs had said "Matisse Thybulle" instead of Luka Samanic. I don't know if Thybulle's 3P% will ever live up to college, but so far he's shooting them almost as good as Beli. But that D - think about Thybulle getting 100% of Beli's minutes.
    it would be amazing ... in 2022, when he would get a chance to play a few minutes. In the perfect world, Keldon would already be playing a few minutes this season.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the Spurs don’t draft based on immediate need, that’s for sure. I mean, two or three years from now we could be talking about what a great draft pick, but he’s doing nothing for us now obviously. At this stage, I’d love to have Thybulle. But even with our constructed roster, I’m not sure he’d get a lot of playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as DJM has a minutes restriction & has to deal with DeFrozen his development will be slow & his play will be inconsistent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the defensive rating when two of Forbes/Patty/Beli play together? Gotta be terrible.

After summer league, where Lonnie dominated and looked like an intriguing player , along with the prospect of seeing Dejounte/DWhite play together, I was actually pretty excited about watching this team.

10 games in and the old man has probably killed Lonnie's Spurs career and we've seen a few minutes of DJ and White together (and that was probably due to a lineup oversight).

Bottom line: you Pop. Stick to ceremonies and retire already. The team doesn't give a about your schtick and what you have to say. Please just leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is anyone else against Murray now? I’m against him start Forbes at pg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speech grades?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe now all of those Tony and Manu haters will realize how good we truly had it after watching the current squad look like they are just making things up as they go along.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People who are taking shots at dejounte are not coherent. He is one of the few spurs player who was good during our good start in term of wins.

I don't have a lot of thing to say about him, white or gay, they played pretty well since the beginning of the season.

My concerns are more about a lot of players who played poorly with little effort and with our defense : it's a team problem not one or two players and also a coaching problems. It's awful to play Mills, Bellineli and even Forbes a lot of minutes. Mills or Forbes are not bad on offense but they are a problem on D and Beli is a problem everywhere on the court.

Forbes is playing too much i'm ok with something about 20 minutes, Beli needs to go to the bench...

All of that i'm not sure that will change a lot of things as the roster is not good built and we need a rim protector that we don't have.

i really don't understand why white and murray are not playing together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just can't believe they guaranteed LMA's 2nd year when they had zero incentive to do so. Just wow.

How many times has this FO been played in like the last 3-4 years? Just misstep after misstep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bend over, I'll show you a loose glute

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just can't believe they guaranteed LMA's 2nd year when they had zero incentive to do so. Just wow.

How many times has this FO been played in like the last 3-4 years? Just misstep after misstep.
    They did it because they aren't going to pay DD what he wants. And they're too scared for life without both DD and LMA.

It's a mistake I agree, if Aldridge isn't guaranteed maybe he plays a little harder instead of robbing the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it would be amazing ... in 2022, when he would get a chance to play a few minutes. In the perfect world, Keldon would already be playing a few minutes this season.
    Yeah the Spurs don’t draft based on immediate need, that’s for sure. I mean, two or three years from now we could be talking about what a great draft pick, but he’s doing nothing for us now obviously. At this stage, I’d love to have Thybulle. But even with our constructed roster, I’m not sure he’d get a lot of playing time.

Yeah, Pop not playing rookies is a different issue. There are about 12 guys drafted after Samanic who are getting 10+ minutes per game. I'm just saying that Thybulle could have taken all of Beli's minutes, and this would be a better team instantly. So people can say what they want to about the talent problem, but ultimately it's 100% on Pop.

And, yeah, I think Keldon could have moved into the rotation this year without any drop-off from Beli, and the team might have been better off overall. Next year they would be a LOT better off, because Keldon would have that experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Really? You can’t? I mean, they outbid themselves over Patty and 12:01am.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They seem too concerned with their reputation of being a good team that takes care of their players. Perhaps the Kawhi drama made them more urgent. Not sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the defensive rating when two of Forbes/Patty/Beli play together? Gotta be terrible.

After summer league, where Lonnie dominated and looked like an intriguing player , along with the prospect of seeing Dejounte/DWhite play together, I was actually pretty excited about watching this team.

10 games in and the old man has probably killed Lonnie's Spurs career and we've seen a few minutes of DJ and White together (and that was probably due to a lineup oversight).

Bottom line: you Pop. Stick to ceremonies and retire already. The team doesn't give a about your schtick and what you have to say. Please just leave.

Thread Information