My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Between 1946 and 1958, the United States detonated 67 nuclear bombs on, in and above the Marshall Islands — vaporizing whole islands, carving craters into its shallow lagoons and exiling hundreds of people from their homes.

U.S. authorities later cleaned up contaminated soil on Enewetak Atoll, where the United States not only detonated the bulk of its weapons tests but, as The Times has learned, also conducted a dozen biological weapons tests and dumped 130 tons of soil from an irradiated Nevada testing site. It then deposited the atoll’s most lethal debris and soil into the dome.

Now the concrete coffin, which locals call “the Tomb,” is at risk of collapsing from rising seas and other effects of climate change. Tides are creeping up its sides, advancing higher every year as distant glaciers melt and ocean waters rise.

Officials in the Marshall Islands have lobbied the U.S. government for help, but American officials have declined, saying the dome is on Marshallese land and therefore the responsibility of the Marshallese government.

“I’m like, how can it [the dome] be ours?” Hilda Heine, the president of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, said in an interview in her presidential office in September. “We don’t want it. We didn’t build it. The garbage inside is not ours. It’s theirs.”

https://www.latimes.com/projects/mar...ea-level-rise/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The American mega-wealthy oligarchy, overflowing with $100Bs in tax cuts, subsidies, screws its own citizens to enrich itself.

eg, You, Marshall Islands citizens, You, Porto Rico citizens. America is "broke" (if you are non-oligarchy)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The American mega-wealthy oligarchy, overflowing with $100Bs in tax cuts, subsidies, screws its own citizens to enrich itself.
    The Marshall Islands were US spoils of WWII. They have been independent since 1979, though they are an associated state of the USA. The Marshallese were never US citizens, but under a 1986 agreement, they can live and work in the USA indefinitely without visas.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...ls_Islands.pdf

30,000 Marshallese -- about a third of the population -- have immigrated to the US.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ma...eft-for-the-us

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American ed the Marshall Islands, and now says You, Marshallese

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NatGeo features "Starfish Prime"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Katie Porter with the legal receipts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cold War 2.0 implications

Will the US's stubborn determination to screw over the Marshallese lead to a strategic setback?

For decades, the tiny Marshall Islands has been a stalwart American ally. Its location in the middle of the Pacific Ocean has made it a key strategic outpost for the U.S. military.

But that loyalty is being tested amid a dispute with Washington over the terms of its “Compact of Free Association” agreement, which expires soon. The U.S. is refusing to engage the Marshallese on claims for environmental and health damage caused by dozens of nuclear tests it carried out in the 1940s and ’50s, including a huge thermonuclear blast on Bikini Atoll.

The dispute has some U.S. lawmakers worried that China might be willing to step into the breach, adding to a bruising compe ion for geopolitical dominance between the two superpowers.

Since World War II, the U.S. has treated the Marshall Islands, along with Micronesia and Palau, much like territories. On the Marshall Islands, the U.S. has developed military, intelligence and aerospace facilities in a region where China is particularly active.

In turn, U.S. money and jobs have benefited the Marshall Islands’ economy. And many Marshallese have taken advantage of their ability to live and work in the U.S., moving in the thousands to Arkansas, Hawaii and Oklahoma.

But this month, 10 Democratic and Republican members of the House of Representatives wrote to President Joe Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, about the U.S. compact talks with the Marshalls, Micronesia and Palau.

“It is distressing that these negotiations do not appear to be a priority — there have been no formal meetings since this Administration began — even as our international focus continues shifting to the Indo-Pacific,” they wrote.

The lawmakers said the delays were putting the U.S. in a weaker position, and “China is all too ready to step in and provide the desperately needed infrastructure and climate resiliency investment that is sought by these long-time partners.”
    https://apnews.com/article/china-new...d6f3012e5874ff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the half life of historical memory?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    screwed again by the USA

Days after United States Congressional leaders and executive branch officials told Marshall Islands leaders there was "no more money" for nuclear test compensation, the US Senate passed legislation expanding nuclear compensation to more Americans in the US mainland and Guam.

The Senate legislation seeks to expand the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act of 1990.

This law currently provides compensation to American Downwinders who lived near the Nevada Test Site, uranium miners, and people who worked at nuclear sites.

The new legislation expands the time period of eligibility for uranium miners from the previous deadline of 1971 to 1990, which means many more workers will be eligible. It also aims to support compensation for people in Guam - who live over 2000 kilometres away from the Bikini and Enewetak test sites in the Marshall Islands - and other US jurisdictions affected by nuclear testing.

In the Marshall Islands, however, the US definition of those "exposed" is limited to four atolls despite US government studies that show many more islands in the country were exposed to nuclear test fallout.

Prior to it running out of compensation funds in the late 2000s, the Nuclear Claims Tribunal compared fallout exposures of American Downwinders and Marshallese. It noted that the highest exposures among American Downwinders were lower than the lowest exposures of Marshallese.
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...pensation-plan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn they're even worse off than Puerto Rico

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The U.S. also betrayed Russia. They did the heavy lifting + wet work on-the-ground against the White German. The U.S., did their heavy lifting from 30k against the Yellow Jap. Then afterward, after Truman said:::"Again." well then we wanted to take off after Russia, but thought better of it and instead made them our boogeyman and MIC sponsor for 80 years and counting now.

The U.S. is as evil as the next devil in-the-line, Blake, and what's more, son? You know that without being told like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn they're even worse off than Puerto Rico
    Amazingly, yes.

And we poisoned Jose Alibzu Campos with radiation in prison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (the US never copped to this specifically, but the DOE admitted in 1994 that the US expermented on unwitting/unwilling prisoners.")

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the US treats vets and contractors like this approximately every single time

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    the US treats vets and contractors like this approximately every single time

& America denounces Russia for their . HA!!!

Thread Information