Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You hearing anything brah?
    Nah. I don't have any inside info right now regarding any trades the Spurs might make.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would jump all over that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said in the off season, it's a no brainer and if it happens, it's all but certain that Gordon will be the centerpiece of the return. Beyond that, there's various combinations to make the salaries work, as well as the possibility of adding a third team.

The easiest one is including Fournier and Belinelli (Carroll or Lyles could also work), but I don't really want the former. Solid fit offensively, but less so defensively. If it could be expanded to include the Thunder, where they get Fournier, Lyles and say Johnson for Gallinari, I'd probably do it. But the Thunder would have to really love Johnson to do that.

Another permutation is Ross (Spurs were rumored interested last trade deadline) and Forbes. I like it in theory, but they just overpaid the former with 4/$50M contract.

Then again, Forbes is tracking towards probably 3-4/$21-24M anyway, so is the difference of 4.5-5.5M per for the next 3 years enough to supersede the fact that Ross is a much better fit and does that amount project to be crucial otherwise in the next few years? Probably not.

I know they love him, but Forbes isn't a starter and can't play alongside Mills.
    Gordon and Gallo would be redundant tbh (I know they have different skillsets but they're still both 4s).

I'd easily do Fournier/Beli as the fillers to facilitate the trade. Ideally, they can throw in Lyles and/or Carroll to free up a path for Lonnie but I wouldn't want to wait until December to make the trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's another article down the page that's probably more to the point. The question nobody seems to be asking is: "If DeRozan was the wrong move for the Spurs, why would it be the right move for Orlando?"

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...32192380004833

Second-guessing the San Antonio Spurs seldom seems advisable, but they've given us no other choice.
    How did they not start over when Kawhi Leonard forced his way out in 2018? Why make a now-30-year-old DeMar DeRozan the centerpiece of that exchange and only collect one first-rounder—not even a lottery pick—while giving up both Leonard and Danny Green (i.e. 40 percent of the Toronto Raptors' championship starting five)?
    Why were they mulling a possible max extension for DeRozan before the season, as Mike Finger reported for the San Antonio Express-News? Why did they feel it necessary to fully guarantee Aldridge's $24 million option for the 2020-21 season eight months before they needed to?

Are they seeing something we don't? Because to us, these look like 30-somethings who are in decline and incapable of leading a team to anything more than one of the West's final playoff spots. Embracing mid-range chuckers in a time of analytics feels not like a zig against a league-wide zag, but rather simply applying an outdated approach and shrinking the team's ceiling because of it.
    "A seemingly unwavering faith in post-ups, long 2s and Marco Belinelli has locals and outsiders alike wondering, for the first time in eons, if the Spurs are behind the curve rather than ahead of it," The Athletic's John Hollinger wrote.
    They don't have an elite player on the roster. They have no guaranteed future stars, either. Dejounte Murray comes closest, but he's facing a treacherous path to get there as a non-shooting perimeter player.
    San Antonio should embark on the fire sale that it should've had as soon as Leonard wanted out. The rewards won't be nearly as rich as they could have been, but anything that moves the Spurs away from this forgettable present and toward whatever the future holds is worth exploring.
    I'm outraged. I need a safe space. -- ... and a nice chablis.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that would be like a christmas gift in November for spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want the trade to happen NOW, not later

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please please please somehow get DDR out of SA and get something decent in return
    A 3D deadeye SF and an active/serviceable PF for DDR and Beli. Get rid of Mills too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously makes sense but won’t happen because it requires Pop to break up his culture . He’s probably heard of the rumors and thought of some snark remark and moved on from it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that this rumor is even creating a buzz in the media leads me to believe that there is less than a 2% chance of this actually happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that this rumor is even creating a buzz in the media leads me to believe that there is less than a 2% chance of this actually happening.
    Bingo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gordon and Gallo would be redundant tbh (I know they have different skillsets but they're still both 4s).

I'd easily do Fournier/Beli as the fillers to facilitate the trade. Ideally, they can throw in Lyles and/or Carroll to free up a path for Lonnie but I wouldn't want to wait until December to make the trade.
    Gordon can guard 3s. This whole "he's a 4" notion oversimplifies it. Sure, he veers closer to a 4, but he's really a big wing. He just needs to be paired with another sizable wing, who gives him the flexibility to play amorphously.

Do that and Forbes-Fournier are the starting 2-3, with Mills still playing off the bench. I'm tired of being undersized and having a bunch of physical liabilities at those spots.

The Ross scenario paves the way for White (or eventually Walker) to start as the other wing. Still on the smaller side in stature, but longer and more athletic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly right. He fits better than DeRozan does, is younger and locked in for a few years and plays a position that is a true need. He would free up minutes for the younger guys as well while still keeping the team around the same compe iveness right now (but also continues the win-build)
    I can buy the "younger and locked in + position of need", but he would not keep the team around the same compe iveness. With all our gripes with Derozan, he's a far better player than Gordon. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather Derozan not attempt 3's than Gordon attempting 4 a game and hitting 1. Gordon just isn't a good player and puts up empty stats on a team desperate for offense, the only thing he really has going for him is being a good dunker and a decent defender.

Not happening. Gordon isn’t a great shooter, but the fact he attempts them, unlike DeRozan is huge. He can also play make from that spot and fits way better with Murray/White/Forbes and pushing the pace in transition which is the strong suit of having Murray.

A Murray/Forbes/White/Gordon/Aldridge lineup looks less appealing to me than Murray/White/DDR/Lyles/Aldridge and who's to say Pop plays White and Murray together even if DDR gets traded as likely you have a player like Ross coming back as well. People can say getting rid of DDR is addition by subtraction but its not really when you're subtracting by adding Gordon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't see the Spurs trading anybody who's starring in HEB commercials. It wouldn't be fair to HEB

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gordon and Ross for Demar and Belinelli. Then trade Aldridge for a defensive big and draft picks. Oh please let it be February already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fournier is a small guy, I feel like we'd still see a lot of the same defensive issues we see now if he slid into the 3. I wouldn't want him as the centerpiece of the return. Its Gordon or bust, imo.

Throw in Forbes to open up things for White.

Murray-White-Gordon-Lyles-LMA would be pretty beastly, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gordon is the best big in the league after Draymond at switching on defending pick and rolls, can space the floor, is athletic and gets out in transition, and adds depth. He ain't a world beater but he fills tons of needs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am hoping my friend and coworker can give me some info from the Magic side but nothing as of now. He had said (and I posted at the time) that Spurs had interest in Fournier this past off-season but appears to be after getting Morris before Knicks debacle and didn't involve DDR at all... Also said talks never went beyond initial inquiry but doesn't know if that was due to Morris situation or two sides being too far apart. I can tell you from several past conversations that Gordon situation is tough because he has a couple strong & vocal supporters in FO who believe he still can become at least a solid #2. As of last year the guy who mattered (Weltman) was adamant about getting a proven player + 1st round pick to consider moving him. Another season and Gordon not moving needle much may have changed things. If I get anything will post, but his brother is less likely to share with him things directly involving Magic players until after the fact. So most likely if I get information it would be Magic has no interest in DDR, or some inside details after a trade is imminent or completed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fournier is a small guy, I feel like we'd still see a lot of the same defensive issues we see now if he slid into the 3. I wouldn't want him as the centerpiece of the return. Its Gordon or bust, imo.

Throw in Forbes to open up things for White.

Murray-White-Gordon-Lyles-LMA would be pretty beastly, tbh.
    Ross is preferable for sure. I'd take Aminu too, but it doesn't matter. As long as DePression is GONE.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can buy the "younger and locked in + position of need", but he would not keep the team around the same compe iveness. With all our gripes with Derozan, he's a far better player than Gordon. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather Derozan not attempt 3's than Gordon attempting 4 a game and hitting 1. Gordon just isn't a good player and puts up empty stats on a team desperate for offense, the only thing he really has going for him is being a good dunker and a decent defender.

A Murray/Forbes/White/Gordon/Aldridge lineup looks less appealing to me than Murray/White/DDR/Lyles/Aldridge and who's to say Pop plays White and Murray together even if DDR gets traded as likely you have a player like Ross coming back as well. People can say getting rid of DDR is addition by subtraction but its not really when you're subtracting by adding Gordon.
    For sure, they'd lack a go-to perimeter scorer. But they'd unlock more lineup flexibility, improve defensively and have a more modern shot profile.

This could be akin to the Raptors trading then pseudo star Gay to the Kings for 4 role players in '13, instantly improving and never looking back . . . and if it isn't and they're just different, but more or less the same caliber, fine. At least they'll have a valuable role player, with remaining upside, locked up long term, get a clearer picture of what they have in Murray, White and hopefully Walker, a solid pick slot and out from under having to either extend this loser or watch him walk for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These trade scenarios make no sense for Orlando... Just a stupid rumor tbh. Sorry boys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are closer to extending DeMar than they are to trading him to Orlando tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gordon can guard 3s. This whole "he's a 4" notion oversimplifies it. Sure, he veers closer to a 4, but he's really a big wing. He just needs to be paired with another sizable wing, who gives him the flexibility to play amorphously.

Do that and Forbes-Fournier are the starting 2-3, with Mills still playing off the bench. I'm tired of being undersized and having a bunch of physical liabilities at those spots.

The Ross scenario paves the way for White (or eventually Walker) to start as the other wing. Still on the smaller side in stature, but longer and more athletic.
    Gordon cant guard threes. Specially elite 3. with the exception of game 2, Nephew toyed with him. Outpaced him. If nephew can outpace him, anyone can since Leonard has never been a guy that relies on speed.

Hes also incredibly soft. Allowing load managment to bully him and Load managmebt is what 4 inches shorter and 30lbs less.

Id take Gordon just to get rid of derozan but i dont think it changes the team ceiling one but

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure, they'd lack a go-to perimeter scorer. But they'd unlock more lineup flexibility, improve defensively and have a more modern shot profile.

This could be akin to the Raptors trading then pseudo star Gay to the Kings for 4 role players in '13, instantly improving and never looking back . . . and if it isn't and they're just different, but more or less the same caliber, fine. At least they'll have a valuable role player, with remaining upside, locked up long term, get a clearer picture of what they have in Murray, White and hopefully Walker, a solid pick slot and out from under having to either extend this loser or watch him walk for nothing.
    I'd rather tough this year out and let DDR walk for nothing and have the flexibility than lock in a low iq, inefficient, chucker long-term and maybe that's where we differ and you prefer to get something back for DDR. Gordon hasn't shown any real improvement in his game in the last 3 years and I don't know how much more "potential" he has. I'd prefer Derozan walk and have space than being locked into even more mediocrity with Gordon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are closer to extending DeMar than they are to trading him to Orlando tbh.
    It's sad because it's true tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These trade scenarios make no sense for Orlando... Just a stupid rumor tbh. Sorry boys.
    Eh, they kind of do. In a vacuum, I wouldn't want DeRozan period, let alone for Gordon, but each situation is different . . .

They're tired of losing, have no go-to perimeter shot creator, can't attract real stars and are one of the few teams with a surplus of big, athletic, defensive wings. Their GM also didn't draft Gordon, curiously structed his extension so that it descends annually and has a history with DeRozan from their Raptors days.

Gordon cant guard threes. Specially elite 3. with the exception of game 2, Nephew toyed with him. Outpaced him. If nephew can outpace him, anyone can since Leonard has never been a guy that relies on speed.

Hes also incredibly soft. Allowing load managment to bully him and Load managmebt is what 4 inches shorter and 30lbs less.

Id take Gordon just to get rid of derozan but i dont think it changes the team ceiling one but

He can. Big deal if he got lit up some against an elite player. That's the NBA for you, especially in an era where the rules cater to perimeter players. I actually thought he did a decent job, but it happens.

Load management is at least the same weight, is one of the 2 or 3 strongest wings in the league and has a 3 inch longer wingspan.

I'd rather tough this year out and let DDR walk for nothing and have the flexibility than lock in a low iq, inefficient, chucker long-term and maybe that's where we differ and you prefer to get something back for DDR. Gordon hasn't shown any real improvement in his game in the last 3 years and I don't know how much more "potential" he has. I'd prefer Derozan walk and have space than being locked into even more mediocrity with Gordon.
    Flexibility for what? No one of any significant is coming here and they won't tank, so you can forget about being a dumping ground for dead money to take back a pick(s). Also, Gordon would have resale value.

We can play the positional semantics game, but the reality is, it's difficult to get forward with Gordon's tools period.

Thread Information