Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OT but siakam has been balling. i wonder what else the spurs would’ve needed to give up to get him...
    Siakam is a legit mvp candidate at the moment and just got payed. He’s going to be in Toronto for a very long time.

edit: my bad I read your post wrong. Read it as “would need”
    Last edited by Beartrucci; 11-14-2019 at 05:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade DeRozan now = surrender by the FO. With this roster, subtracting a 20ppg scorer is suicide and we become worse than the warriors.

The entire roster sucks ass in the modern NBA, it’s not all DeRozans fault like people want to believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'll settle for the washing machine from semi pro

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why we feel they won't trade Bamba...

He can't play anything but center...they signed a center to a 100 million dollar contract to play in front of him...they have another center in Birch who gets minutes...

Bamba is playing less minutes in his second season then he played in his rookie season...

Clifford does not seem to like him AT ALL...

Probably have to give a up a 1st round pick to get him...and I am intrigued enough by Bamba to do that...

Derozan and Marco for Gordon and Bamba is ideal...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At constantly taking shots at me, only to practically plagiarise me . . . but I'm sure, if it comes to fruition, your legion of fellow cult members will be worshipping at your proverbial altar.

I don’t see how Fournier solves any issues. The issue isn’t the offense (even though that could improve with more shooting) as much as defense. He is somehow WORSE than DeRozan on defense and it would basically be like trading DeRozan for another Beli which makes no sense for the defense, for opening up minutes in the G/SF rotation or for the future.
    The issue is everything and they're related. They make this trade and they'll not only have more 3-point shooting among their best players, but they'll be able to unlock the Murray-White pairing, which along with Gordon should boost the defense.

The trade would mostly be about Gordon, but Fournier is actually a solid fit offensively. Murray and White either aren't ready or worse, talented enough offensively to where a pure 3 and D wing makes sense next to them. They need secondary shot creation and spacing, both of which he can provide.

Defensively, it would be manageable if White starts and untenable altogether if Forbes continues to . . . and that's where the problem lies. Forbes has no place on the team if this occurs and it wouldn't make sense to commit the probably near MLE type contract he's probably got coming to him. Sense should supersede sentiment, in the form of shopping him for either a decent 2nd or a controllable young player of commensurate value.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    what happened to the quote bubble? can a mod revert the change? it’s bad UX tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I was pretty pissed when I heard SA was trading for DeRozan, but I agree. They made the playoffs, and adding DeRozan should have been enough of a talent infusion to keep things going.

My issue was not as much the logic of the trade; SA built a team around Kawhi and DeRozan is a wildly different player. My issue was that after last full season with DeRozan/LMA pairing, that adding Carroll was the only change they thought really necessary. I liked the Morris acquisition but even then, that was a bandaid with bringing back Rudy, Beli, Mills etc...They should have pressed harder to reshape the roster around DeRozan, even if it meant losing some future assets.

But now that they didnt? Ok, it’s not catastrophic, but they need to work towards better and more decisive decision making in either direction. Move DeRozan for either younger assets/picks or a player that has a shot at fitting better right now and raising the ceiling some.
    Pop/Buford chose to be a treadmill team which is probably the worst place to be in this league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/demar-dero...antonio-spurs/

tl;dr: Trade makes sense for both teams; Gordon and Fournier are intriguing.
    You actually look a lot like Fournier tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At constantly taking shots at me, only to practically plagiarise me . . . but I'm sure, if it comes to fruition, your legion of fellow cult members will be worshipping at your proverbial altar.

The issue is everything and they're related. They make this trade and they'll not only have more 3-point shooting among their best players, but they'll be able to unlock the Murray-White pairing, which along with Gordon should boost the defense.

The trade would mostly be about Gordon, but Fournier is actually a solid fit offensively. Murray and White either aren't ready or worse, talented enough offensively to where a pure 3 and D wing makes sense next to them. They need secondary shot creation and spacing, both of which he can provide.

Defensively, it would be manageable if White starts and untenable altogether if Forbes continues to . . . and that's where the problem lies. Forbes has no place on the team if this occurs and it wouldn't make sense to commit the probably near MLE type contract he's probably got coming to him. Sense should supersede sentiment, in the form of shopping him for either a decent 2nd or a controllable young player of commensurate value.
    I was taking this as an either or thing. Not both. Sure, if you can get both then it makes sense. I was saying just swapping Fournier for DeRozan doesn’t do much IMO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was taking this as an either or thing. Not both. Sure, if you can get both then it makes sense. I was saying just swapping Fournier for DeRozan doesn’t do much IMO
    Yeah, but that wouldn't happen. I suspect the Magic know, if they're going to do this, Gordon has to be in it and they're okay with that (descending contract, Isaac's presence, Okeke drafting, Aminu signing).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing RC, he's probably gonna throw in Lonnie, another 1st rounder and 10 mil in cash to sweeten the pot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt Orlando is looking at a way to get rid of Fournier’s contract. Hopefully a third team gets involved, like Charlotte.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt Orlando is looking at a way to get rid of Fournier’s contract. Hopefully a third team gets involved, like Charlotte.
    His deal isn’t bad at all and only has one more year on it. He has positive value for sure. Its not something they would need to dump nor should they.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why we feel they won't trade Bamba...

He can't play anything but center...they signed a center to a 100 million dollar contract to play in front of him...they have another center in Birch who gets minutes...

Bamba is playing less minutes in his second season then he played in his rookie season...

Clifford does not seem to like him AT ALL...

Probably have to give a up a 1st round pick to get him...and I am intrigued enough by Bamba to do that...

Derozan and Marco for Gordon and Bamba is ideal...
    totally agree, there is no place and not enough minutes for bamba in orlando and for us it could be a center for a years. He showed great defense and offensive rebounds. Finally we could get someone who could rebound those bricks from 3pt line and i see a potential in murray-bamba especially in alley-oops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never going to happen. Pop is more concerned with trying not to hurt anyone's feelings than with trying to improve the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are multiple reasons Orlando might be interested in Gordon for DeRozan type package. First of all, DeRozan is a better player. They are both flawed, especially from the 3PT line, but overall, DeRozan is the superior player at this point.

With that in mind, Orlando is trying to stay a playoff team. They clawed their way there last year, re-signed an expensive Vuc and want to continue taking steps forward, not go back to the lottery.

Their guard play is by far their biggest weakness, in particular anyone that can truly create their own offense (and for others tbh..). DeRozan solves that in a big way.
    Also, DeRozan is a potential expiring in case things go south. That gives him extra value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing someone who plays out their contract isn’t the worst thing, but it’s wildly sub-optimal. Again, not saying to trade him for some awful contract just to get “rid” of him; but he has value in this league (SA traded kawhi for him). It might not be what we would hope, but he has positive value.

Even getting a first, even if it’s late, is better than nothing. But getting a flyer on someone young like Gordon who fits with the young core and is on a VERY reasonable deal allows SA to see how it goes, inject some new life for the team and fans and? He’s still an asset you could move later if you need to get more assets.
    That speaks more about PATFO's lack of trading skills than anything else, tbh. Every person, with just a bit of foreshadowing, knew it was a horrible trade the moment it happened.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it here a couple of days ago - if this is being discussed, Orlando is going to try to push Fournier + Fultz. I never said the Spurs would make that trade, but that's what Orlando will try to make happen.

Orlando is dead last in 3P shooting. Doesn't seem likely to me that they would trade a volume 3P shooter (Gordon) "who is at least capable of spreading the defense" for a non-3P-shooting DeRozan. Especially since it would rob them of a PF and leave them overweight at SF. Fournier is a SF, and even though he shoots some 3's they would still get an upgrade at that spot by trading him for DeRozan. In the East, the exchange of Fournier for DDR would have a good chance of getting them to the .500 record (give or take) that puts them in the playoffs.

Isaac is off the table for Orlando. Fuhgeddaboudit.

In his current incarnation, Terence Ross is all but unplayable. Not only is he shooting .245 on his 3P attempts, he has an ORTG of 84. I guess that's still better than Beli's ORTG of 81, but he's all but unplayable, too. If Ross got his 3P eye back, he'd be an asset. But I wouldn't want to take on yet another bad contract on spec.

Bottom line, any salary match the Spurs could get from Orlando would include someone that all of you would whine about, and extend the misery here by at least another season.

Also, DeRozan is a potential expiring in case things go south. That gives him extra value.
    Yep. I would love to see some value come back from trading DDR. But taking on one or more half-ass players with longer contracts SHOULD be a non-starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gordon and Fournier for DeRozan and Belinelli works mathematically. Just throwing it out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRosan and Beli for Isaak, Aminu, Fournier and Bamba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love to include another outgoing rotation player tbh, free up minutes for Lonnie/Carroll.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gordan, Bambi, and their second for DEROZZ and Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade DeRozan now = surrender by the FO. With this roster, subtracting a 20ppg scorer is suicide and we become worse than the warriors.

The entire roster sucks ass in the modern NBA, it’s not all DeRozans fault like people want to believe.
    I agree, it isn't his fault. He is probably our best player this year. But in saying that he is the easiest to trade and make a better fit. Also you have to consider that DD is leaving. Spurs are not close on the extension. Your looking down a tunnel at losing him with no cap space to patch it up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My hope is that, to the extent there is a market for DDR, this starts to reveal who else might be interested (e.g., DET).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Siakam is a legit mvp candidate at the moment and just got payed. He’s going to be in Toronto for a very long time.

edit: my bad I read your post wrong. Read it as “would need”
    Siakam wouldn't have been given the freedom to become as good as he is if he were on the Spurs... He would have been right next to Metuchen in the G league

Thread Information