Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the lack of basketball knowledge on this forum is truly ridiculous. He was in the DPOY race last year, not 10 years ago

I'm not saying he's bad or that I don't like him. I'm simply saying by NBA standards he's the worst starting PF in the league. If you look at the quality other teams got at that position, he should not be in the starting line up.
    Because the roster is what it is, I prefer him in the SL over Rudy. Plus, I think of it as the kind of on-the-job training that posters urge Pop to use with Lonnie. I would argue that PF is a position of greater need. I think Pop sees Lyles as the PF version of Danny Green. That's my paradigm. You hope he grows into the SL as Danny did. Plus, I think he is performing better than most veterans in their first year with the Spurs. So, if he is mediocre now, you hope with experience he is a good starting caliber PF by the end of the season. I think he will be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the roster is what it is, I prefer him in the SL over Rudy. Plus, I think of it as the kind of on-the-job training that posters urge Pop to use with Lonnie. I would argue that PF is a position of greater need. I think Pop sees Lyles as the PF version of Danny Green. That's my paradigm. You hope he grows into the SL as Danny did. Plus, I think he is performing better than most veterans in their first year with the Spurs. So, if he is mediocre now, you hope with experience he is a good starting caliber PF by the end of the season. I think he will be.
    Well the one good thing about him is that he's only 24, so he could still be able to make the jump. He could certainly develop into that type of player. It's mainly his 3-point shot that he has to improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is not that bad. The guy makes some pretty good hustle plays. ST always ing about everything!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is not that bad. The guy makes some pretty good hustle plays. ST always ing about everything!
    This wont be st if there is no ing tbh.
    Also, complaining and wanting change is good for discussion. We dont want this place to become an echo chamber tbh tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the one good thing about him is that he's only 24, so he could still be able to make the jump. He could certainly develop into that type of player. It's mainly his 3-point shot that he has to improve.
    Yes, that's the point. He is only 24, he is very athletic, has great physical tools and this is his first year in SA. People on ST are usually so obsessed with ceiling and upside, but for some reason not with Trey. I think he has a very high ceiling; with his upside I don't understand the disparagement of the guy. I am rooting for the guy as much as I am the other "young guns". , I regard him as one of our young guns - and one at a position where we have a dearth of talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just waiting for him to be out of the starting line up. He's not a good player at all but he could turn into one bc he's still so young. If he can learn places on the floor and angles then he would be immensely better. He still doesn't know the game. He doesn't have a feel for the game at all. This can be taught and maybe he will learn but as of now, he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line up. Dude needs to learn from Oberto and Tiago tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid has had FOUR YEARS in Pime Developmental programs (Utah and Denver) and now he has had a half season WITH THE BEST developmental program under GOAT Tim Duncan, if it were gonna happen for Trey it WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

He is regressing at this point.

Move on, bring up Metu play Demarre Carroll.

Its not that hard of an Equation.
    I agree with you that he has regressed. And the knock on him in Denver/Utah was that he didn't work hard enough and took too many stupid shots. He has had zero work ethic problems so far and his shot selection has become conservative which means he is at least capable of changing. I still say he should learn from Tiago and Oberto on how to screen properly, how to roll, and how to use angles to get open down low. We got him cheap so we might as well try.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So a guy in Metu following the company line, working hard, working on his game and showing progress gets no run over a guy who has had 4 season to get his together? Naw man I can't agree with that at all. 4 years and the dude cant set a screen? He needs Tiago and Oberto to teach him to screen over Tim Duncan?

Dude.......
    Screen and roll yes. Tiago was one of the best at it. Oberto too knew how to use small spaces to get open. Both guys knew specifically how to play off the ball and not have the offense run trough them, yet find their way to contribute. That's something Lyles needs to learn. Duncan was never a role player like that.

If you want to play Metu that's fine, might as well see what we have in him. If Portland wasn't so ty this year then Metu probably would already be playing. But Pop has hope still that we can make the playoffs and hasn't officially accepted the tank (even though his ty rotations are a major reason why we suck).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So a guy in Metu following the company line, working hard, working on his game and showing progress gets no run over a guy who has had 4 season to get his together? Naw man I can't agree with that at all. 4 years and the dude cant set a screen? He needs Tiago and Oberto to teach him to screen over Tim Duncan?

Dude.......
    As you are aware, I like Metu, also. But Pop ain't gonna give him a shot this year. Consequently, I root for Lyles to become a quality starting PF by this season's end. If that happens, then next season we should have a PF rotation of Lyles and Metu, and Rudy can sail away into the sunset. I have been praying for Pop's retirement for longer than most her on ST, and I am loathe to give him much credit. However, that may be his plan: Get Trey up to speed this season and bring Metu up to the varsity and get him up to speed next season. In this scenario by the beginning of the 21-22 season, we would have two quality young PFs competing for time.
    Last edited by sasaint; 01-13-2020 at 07:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs took this dude off the scrap heap and resurrected his career

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    worst starting PF in the league. Ok player, who you wouldn't mind to have on the team as a bench piece, but not good enough to be starting. Still miles better than Bryn Forbes
    And that’s the sad thing. He isn’t even our worst starter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What a horrible sobering thought

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, that's the point. He is only 24, he is very athletic, has great physical tools and this is his first year in SA. People on ST are usually so obsessed with ceiling and upside, but for some reason not with Trey. I think he has a very high ceiling; with his upside I don't understand the disparagement of the guy. I am rooting for the guy as much as I am the other "young guns". , I regard him as one of our young guns - and one at a position where we have a dearth of talent.
    eh he's not really athletic my dude. He's like a more athletic Kyle Anderson, but he's still pretty unathletic for an NBA player. He gets blocked at the rim a lot and only shoots 59% from 0-3 feet. That's not good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, which is why I mentioned the worse starter in my statement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eh he's not really athletic my dude. He's like a more athletic Kyle Anderson, but he's still pretty unathletic for an NBA player. He gets blocked at the rim a lot and only shoots 59% from 0-3 feet. That's not good
    He looks plenty athletic on the boards. He has quite a bit of range and often grabs boards that are not in his immediate zone. Gets up off the floor quite well on those. Runs the floor well...

I think getting blocked and shooting poorly in close is a function of two things. I think that knowing he has been afforded his last/best opportunity in the NBA, he is still feeling the nerves of a new guy not just to the Spurs but to the starting unit. Plus, I think he has poor instincts/moves around the basket. During his career he hasn't really been known as an inside player. That's one reason his rebounding has been a very pleasant surprise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we have the 2 worst starters in the league, DJM has underwhelmed, White has regressed, IV doesn’t play enough yet we are likely going to make the playoffs, but DeRozan needs to be traded for a bag of Doritos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we have the 2 worst starters in the league, DJM has underwhelmed, White has regressed, IV doesn’t play enough yet we are likely going to make the playoffs, but DeRozan needs to be traded for a bag of Doritos.

Spurs would be lucky to get cool ranch,tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks plenty athletic on the boards. He has quite a bit of range and often grabs boards that are not in his immediate zone. Gets up off the floor quite well on those. Runs the floor well...

I think getting blocked and shooting poorly in close is a function of two things. I think that knowing he has been afforded his last/best opportunity in the NBA, he is still feeling the nerves of a new guy not just to the Spurs but to the starting unit. Plus, I think he has poor instincts/moves around the basket. During his career he hasn't really been known as an inside player. That's one reason his rebounding has been a very pleasant surprise.
    Lyles has excellent size and length for a power forward, measuring 6-10 in shoes, with a strong 235 pound frame, and a huge 7-3 ½ wingspan. He is a fluid and mobile big man, but not overly quick or explosive, lacking a degree of athleticism that may limit his long-term upside to a certain extent. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Lyles-7157/ ©DraftExpress

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 ppg and 5 boards,41% fg and 33% from 3 -def didnt see that coming

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not arguing that Trey is super-athletic, but he is definitely NBA athletic. I don't think he is OVERLY quick or explosive, but he has plenty of athleticism for a starting PF in the NBA. I just pointed out a couple of areas where he seemed pretty athletic, which seems consistent with what DraftExpress stated in citing his huge wingspan and fluidity. Any disagreement I have with DraftExpress is pretty miniscule. He will never be a star, but I think he has what it takes to be a slightly better than middling PF, which is what I am hoping for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This guy is the Former TOROS head Coach Quin Snyder who is the OG Spurs Developmental GURU..

Because of his Results in the G Leage he got his gig at Utah where he continued to Develop Talent.

Quin gets there and Turns Rudy Gorbert from a nice project guy into a Double Double threat for Tripple double Rebounds Blocks and Points Guy and 2x Defensive Player of the YEAR.

Trey had his Time with him and Flopped. In fact in 288 nba games Trey Played in prior to ENDING UP WITH THE SPURS he only started in 41.

In his last 3 years he was only GOOD ENOUGH to start 8 of 208.

What Happens when get gets in front of Poop?

He starts 28 of 38 games for Pop and the Spurs.

He has had his time and the ONLY REASON he is even in the league is because of pops fetish of playing WASHED PLAYERS

No amount of Spurs Developmental Pixie dust can turn this TURD into Chocolate Ganache

I concede your arguments are excellent regarding his failure to develop. But Pop actually has 2 (possibly more...) fetishes. In addition to playing washed up vets, he likes to resurrect guys who have not lived up to their potential. I hope Trey is the PF version of Danny Green. OK, I am probably betting against the odds. I am aware of this penchant, and that's one reason I don't go to Vegas very often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said they were the two worst starters in the league you baby back .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Teaching Point For the Spurs(pop really) and all lickers on Spurstalk

TRUST THE INTEL

Quin Snyder

Richard Jefferson

Channing Frye

All had lintel on this TURD All with CLOSE SPURS TIES but he still on the team..... Thats one of the reasons why this team is Poverty Ball Level. Entropy is a mother er.
    Not sure what took the refs so long...

Not sure that is "INTEL" though... I was expecting some quotes from those sauces.

Anyhow, I am still hoping the signing pays off - not betting, but hoping.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you guys sure Lyles is no good, I understand from ST that Spurs will only be better if we trade our players for lottery pick. Lyles was a lottery pick, he cannot be bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying Lyle's was trash from the beginning of the season, and I'm glad some of u are finally getting the point... The guy is a 3rd string player... at best... Someone like Nunn is a pleasant surprise... Lyles is a disappointment

Thread Information