Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GOATS of a feather the golden era's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The signs are all there, and we are in the last days of the GOAT coach and all we can do is about the old man, but the truth is he is the greatest steward we could possibly ask for. We have a pipeline of talent and will be really compe ive moving forward, even if the streak ends this year. Nevertheless, as a lifelong fan, the signs are all there, in no particular order of importance:
    1. RC Buford moved out of GM role
    Outside, of Pop himself, no single individual in the entire NBA could decide how long he stays in his position. The guy is an absolute legend and IMHO WILL be HOF. Why now to hand over reigns? Don't know exactly, but clearly this was the first indication of a clear transition of power plan that has been formulated (if you don't count the Holt family transition issue, which was probably the first true sign anything was going on).
    2. Brain Drain on the coaching staff
    We all know the Pop tree stretches far and wide in the league. However, if we step back and just look at all the talent we have lost in the last couple of years, the cupboard is really bare, and is the one area that does not appear to be restocked at all. Additionally, Pop is the one coach in the league that could get the best and brightest to come over and sit on his bench for a run, but isn't it odd this offseason despite openings, nothing, no one came, (this leads to the next and biggest observation from this season and tonight)
    3. Tim Duncan appears totally disconnected and aloof on the bench
    Everyone who knows the team and Pop knows, Timmy is his best friend/kindred spirit. Almost no one expected Timmy to coach after retirement because his demeanor and personality doesn't necessarily lean towards the profession. Not that he couldn't, but it just didn't' seem like his niche, and certainly not a head coach for sure. Anyone paying attention to the games so far, and this game for sure, the video don't lie, dude does not care what is going on in huddles and is not really interested in learning the craft with any real attention to detail you see with all other coaches. Dude is walking around during timeout hurdles. Why? Only logical conclusion is he has no real interest in coaching long term. Would make sense Pop and him talked it out and Pop would have no other person sitting by his side at the end, to which Timmy would obviously comply.
    4. Trade rumors early November
    We NEVER hear of serious trade rumors this early, but tis already occurring and with what appears to be open and legit sources. Very unusual to all who follow the team under this leadership. Nevermind the early season struggles, which were identical to last year basically, and they still made tournament, these rumors appear to be totally transparent and out in the open despite the same team with added talent in Murray. I suspect they are legitimate and that DeMar WILL be moved along with LaMarcus when this December deadline that is important hits. I suspect this is why the team picked up his option to make him more attractive for teams interested in his services. The youth movement will likely begin this year as we have been begging for it seems.

Truth be told, I wrote this after I saw Timmy today and was at the game on Monday and realized, Timmy is the dead giveaway now. All the Pop bashers will get their wish soon enough. I know everyone said the Tony retirement was the end of the era, but the Golden Era ends after this year when the GOAT coach hangs it up. Been an incredible ride and I am excited for the future. In Becky I Trust!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't end too soon. I wish he would just pass the reins to Becky now and go drink wine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just impressed you realized it was The Golden Era in 2012. Props

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I realize this is the accepted sentiment, but I am going to enjoy this last ride for what it is. Faithful steward overseeing and responsible transition. If the make tournament, even better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks brother, and thanks for this site, I know it is a labor of love, and I have been a looong time lurker, even before register. GSG!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks brother, and thanks for this site, I know it is a labor of love, and I have been a looong time lurker, even before register. GSG!
    Keep posting. Good stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The business is a meritocracy and this will be a very rapid drop from just three years ago. When #2 (the turd) quit on us, that was the beginning of the end. Pop deserves every accolade, but this is now a rebuild without question. The Spurs have nothing to really hang their hat on right now. There is no system out on the floor, because some of the "best" players are nothing but no "D" ball stoppers who have no interest in playing one half of the floor. This is really sh*tty basketball we are watching. Perhaps in January, if things continue down this path, the coaching staff can try and teach the young guys how to be solid pros going forward.

The bone headed mistakes at the worst possible time is just an epidemic right now. I'm too old for patience. Things are not working at the moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really can't argue with what you said, but the truth is neph really ed this franchise and everything after was managing the fallout. NO franchise would recover from what he did, and yet we are still relevant. I suspect this is the year we purge the vets of any consequence (DDR and LMA), and we move boldly forward. I really wouldn't be shocked to see Pop still manage this team into the tournament. But we shall see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope it is. this is what happens when you fail to cater to your best players.

making him play before offering the super max

Refusing to hook up uncle Dennis

taking a trade from toronto and giving up Danny green in the process

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is what happens when you fail to cater to your best players.
    Last season erased that entire narrative. Catch up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really can't argue with what you said, but the truth is neph really ed this franchise and everything after was managing the fallout. NO franchise would recover from what he did, and yet we are still relevant. I suspect this is the year we purge the vets of any consequence (DDR and LMA), and we move boldly forward. I really wouldn't be shocked to see Pop still manage this team into the tournament. But we shall see.
    Agreed. The talent drop off has been very hurtful. Losing an entire year of DJM did not help. There just seemed to be much more purpose and fire from the team itself last year. DDR was handling the ball a lot more and being effective, but he has really declined in my view. LMA was terrific last year, but now we are getting two bad games for every one good game from him. I just don't see enough positives out there to turn this around and make the POs in 2020.

An other worldly PO streak will likely end for the Spurs. It sucks - in 2017 they had the pieces in place to be very good for another 4-5 years and a real contender, but that got subverted two years ago due to #2 - AKA "The Turd".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah this is just wrong and failed narrative. Neph already has proven by action, even if we would have supa max his ass he would have demanded trade to LA, and all the garbage attached with that trade would be our mess. PATFO did everything that could reasonably be expected, and still got something in return, although Poodle has disappointed this season so far, but lets see what he looks like after trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop and Trump are both unemployed will they hang out?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was my pre-season prediction tbh. All the signs were there and I knew he would go out the only way he knows how to go out. Stubborn, constantly trying to prove that he’s smarter than everyone. And staying with his guys no matter the consequences.

I’m not even mad about this year bc I knew it was Pop’s last year. He deserves to go out the way he wants to go out. Tbh this is Pops Gran Tarino moment except instead of a finger gun he was Marco Belinelli and this whole league is taking there shots at him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the US wins Olympic gold, I could see him retiring on a high note.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid points. When team USA wins gold. He will feel invigorating at the time and keep coaching. I think next year is the last one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah this is just wrong and failed narrative. Neph already has proven by action, even if we would have supa max his ass he would have demanded trade to LA, and all the garbage attached with that trade would be our mess. PATFO did everything that could reasonably be expected, and still got something in return, although Poodle has disappointed this season so far, but lets see what he looks like after trades.
    I get it and that's a fair comment - the depth of Turd's hate of the city and the organization was high. If KL had been a more normal, reasonable human being instead of an Asperger Syndrome type with no empathy for anyone but himself, perhaps a long term deal would have worked.

The FO had nothing but lousy options a year ago. In addition, one year ago, teams had no idea if The Turd could actually play since he quit the prior year with a non-injury "injury". The Toronto Trade was the best (less than ideal) option, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 11-15-2019 at 10:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish he would quit right now tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thread. I hope so, tbh. Time for the rebuild to fully begin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last season? I hope this is his last week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being at an actual game, you begin to realize us arm chair GM's really don't take into account that the suits are trying to fill the arena, which has been difficult for them since at least 17. They have been balancing this youth/compe ive team tightrope but everyone must realize now it is over. I failed to mention in the OG post, but I strongly suspect that once DDR turned down their attempt at extension, the decision towards unloading was made. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise he didn't extend regardless off what our offer was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish he would quit right now tbh
    Last season? I hope this is his last week.
    My wish exactly. Unfortunately, Pop is no "quitter"; he would never step down mid-season. He will man the helm for the full cruise and stubbornly steer the Spurs ship onto the rocks at this season's end. I still fear he will return next season, and ownership will just acquiesce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't agree with the rocks aspect. Pop is showcasing the talent on the block, plain and simple. They will get offers and unload when the price is right, period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being at an actual game, you begin to realize us arm chair GM's really don't take into account that the suits are trying to fill the arena, which has been difficult for them since at least 17. They have been balancing this youth/compe ive team tightrope but everyone must realize now it is over. I failed to mention in the OG post, but I strongly suspect that once DDR turned down their attempt at extension, the decision towards unloading was made. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise he didn't extend regardless off what our offer was.
    yeah playing athletic players who can throw down crazy dunks and jump out the gym definitely shouldn't play if you are trying to fill seats. Play the unathletic white guy instead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't agree with the rocks aspect. Pop is showcasing the talent on the block, plain and simple. They will get offers and unload when the price is right, period.
    Still with the CIA Pop take, I see.

Thread Information