Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...ember-15-2019/

tl;dr: Spurs played well (outside of two areas) but still lost to a sub .500 team. Ouch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “We’ve been pretty much kicking ass with that group,” Popovich deadpanned before the game, “so I don’t know why I’d change it.”

Pop regarding the starting 5 being the only starting 5 with a negative net rating. His sarcasm gets old. He's the coach and the only one who can change things up. Getting tired of him. He looks like an over the hill grumpy great grandpa out there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extremely weird. Pop and coaching staff used to always change stuff: record-setting number of starting lineups, constantly changing rotations, putting some weird guys from the end of the bench here and there, changing defensive schemes. We hated a lot of those changes but Pop was always experimenting. This season it's like everything is set in stone, and players go through the motions out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see why he was almost fired before Tim Duncan saved him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extremely weird. Pop and coaching staff used to always change stuff: record-setting number of starting lineups, constantly changing rotations, putting some weird guys from the end of the bench here and there, changing defensive schemes. We hated a lot of those changes but Pop was always experimenting. This season it's like everything is set in stone, and players go through the motions out there.
    This. It's so strange. But it does seem that by bringing Murray back it has drastically changed our rotation. Poeltl out, Lyle's on for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? DeRozan wasn't rebounding?

Look, I'm not even a fan of DDR, but the guy is basically carrying the offensive load for this team, especially on nights where LMA is MIA.

I get that he's an average to poor defender (I mean, let's be honest, compared to Marco or Patty, he's Bruce Bowen), but Spursfan seriously need to start looking for a different scapegoat, tbh...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its just weird cos the starting 5 somehow can't seem to move the ball well and generate good shots. tbh i find the 2nd team plays a more fluid bball as compared to our starters. Not sure if its simply because the starting 5 need 1 more 3pt shooter besides bryn forbes to space the floor. maybe they shld tell Lyles to let it fly if he's going to be on the floor with the starting 5 cos i don't see how LMA and DDR or DJ will be willing to shoot more 3s... maybe DJ once he gets more confidence in his shot.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Look, I'm not even a fan of DDR, but the guy is basically carrying the offensive load for this team, especially on nights where LMA is MIA.

I get that he's an average to poor defender (I mean, let's be honest, compared to Marco or Patty, he's Bruce Bowen), but Spursfan seriously need to start looking for a different scapegoat, tbh...
    yep ... meanwhile white gets 3 points and a C?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep ... meanwhile white gets 3 points and a C?
    White was +6 in 22 minutes, while DeRozan was -15 in 37 minutes. Pretty typical... the entire team flows better with White in there. For the year DeRozan is at -53. White is at +18. Last season was the same: DeRozan at +10, White at +152. DeRozan was 8th on the team in +/- last year and is 13th this year. Pretty much unheard of for the highest paid player on a team. Giannis, Kawhi, & LeBron are all #1 on their team in the +/- stat.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/san-an...tOrder=0&opp=0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I called the C+ for Pop right after the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White was +6 in 22 minutes, while DeRozan was -15 in 37 minutes. Pretty typical... the entire team flows better with White in there. For the year DeRozan is at -53. White is at +18. Last season was the same: DeRozan at +10, White at +152. DeRozan was 8th on the team in +/- last year and is 13th this year. Pretty much unheard of for the highest paid player on a team. Giannis, Kawhi, & LeBron are all #1 on their team in the +/- stat.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/san-an...tOrder=0&opp=0
    It's the whole starting lineup. Stop putting the blame on DD. The whole starting lineup has massive negative rating, while 20% shooting, defenseless Beli is +18. The Spurs heavily relying on their bench is an understatement. The starting lineup is a show of a mess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DD makes poor decisions, and needs to go, yes, but I would also agree that he's the best player in that godawful starting lineup.

Him and Aldridge both need to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop just seems to be going through the motions. He needs to hold vets accountable like he did with the big three. I think the KL thing, LMAs tears, and DDR's psych has got him lost on how to coach his firebrand style.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame Pop, if he gets a majority of the praise when they win then he deserves the majority when they lose. To me it just seems like a very poorly coached team. Tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "tl;dr: Who cares? 'Memba the Golden Years?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I called the C+ for Pop right after the game
    Garbage rotations, benching Dejounte for long stretches of the game (nothing to do with his minute restrictions), Patty the PG, garbage playcalling at the end....C+

Maybe 40% of the grade is how fast Pop can waddle over to the opposing coach after an L to slurp him off, because that's been at an A+ level all year.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't overstate the fact that the difference in the score was absolutely the 34-10 FT disparity. When the gap is that big, there is probably some home cooking involved, but most of it is usually one team playing piss-poor team defense, and reaching to try and catch up.

This time last year I was adamant that DDR and Forbes couldn't be on the floor together, because together the revolving door on defense was just too big. By the end of the season, I let myself have hope that Forbes was learning how to use his increased size to his advantage, and that DDR had started to stay more focused on the defensive end. Either I imagined it, or they regressed. But DDR and Forbes can't be on the floor at the same time.

Poeltl's total lack of boxing out is starting to really piss me off. I don't know if he was that bad last year - I'd like to think I would have noticed. But this year he's been like a middle school kid who grew 6 inches over the summer, but doesn't have any understanding of what to do with it.

I quit watching the game at the half. I told my wife that there was no doubt in my mind that the Spurs were going to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. A big part of that was Aldridge. He was out there taking the plays that came his way, but he showed zero sign of a guy who is hungry for a win. I'm not blaming the loss on him, but with his experience and size, he could easily have rallied the troops, but it was obvious he wasn't going to. On nights like that, Tim would dig deep and lead by example. Aldridge is squishy. And getting squishier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly the beginning of the year is our easy part of the schedule.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “We’ve been pretty much kicking ass with that group,” Popovich deadpanned before the game, “so I don’t know why I’d change it.”
    I love Pop but his schtick plays way better when he's winning.

If Team USA loses the gold in the Olympics and Pop comes out with some "get over it" smirk, the national media will crucify him like nothing ever before.

No one cares about the Spurs outside SA and the SA media is well-tamed -- but the national team is different. And so is the national media.

Pop might be the first Olympic coach to be impeached.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Respectfully disagree on the Bruce Bowen argument.
    Firstly, I think Patty is not atrociously bad defensively. He's just small which limits him but he can do alright against midgets like himself.
    Secondly, the worst defenders in the roster are Beli and Forbes. Forbes is unbelievably bad, much much worse than Patty.
    Thirdly, Demar is not Bruce Bowen compared to anyone. He is not a disciplined defender. He does not try on defense. He is easily distracted and moved emotionally. He has a better body than Beli and Mills, but that's it.

Offensively he's a ball stopper. The team doesn't need anyone "carrying the offense" in a loosing effort. Spurs are okay offensively overall and outright good offensively when the bench plays. The problem is defense. And Demar is a worse defender than Carroll or whoever else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it's maddening how easily we drop games to tanking teams game after game. And also we have no injuries ((

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like others have said Mad scientists Pop would have done something drastic with the SL by now. If that move doesn't work try something else. But staying pat is what is so aggravating. I'm getting pissed off. At this point, i just want to see what our future holds.

MAD SCIENTIST POP CHANGE #1 - The Future is Now with White leading the team.

The MAIN focus here is making sure White is your show runner. He seems to be a catalyst with this team, when he's playing well, the team wins. When he's not we lose. Murray can be very good as well, he and White can be a great tandem offensively but mostly defensively. 2 potentially all nba defensive backcourt has a nice ring to it as well. But you won't know unless you play them. The time is now. You need to see what you have so you know what moves you need to make in the offseason.

So here's your new starting lineup:

PG - White (He can drive, pass, score and defend. He is this teams main focus right now. Or at least needs to be. He grew up a lot last year and needs to keep growing.)

SG - Murray (potential star talent. He just needs to keep it going and reel it in a bit. He's got a ton of energy which is great. And having White as the main ball handler will help relieve pressure. Continue working on the 3 ball)

SF - Walker (give him the TP treatment. Be on his butt, but allow him to make mistakes and stay in the game. I don't even know what he could bring to the table at the moment besides great athleticism but we won't know unless he plays. If he continues to suck after 30 games then fine. Lets move one)

PF - Lyles (you keep Lyles in cause he's actually been good. He moves the ball around. He fights for rebounds and has been making the 3 ball lately. Keep him in there)

C - Aldridge (Perhaps not sharing the floor with Derozan will help him? I would worry that he would try to be the main focus as opposed to White but when Aldridge is on we are dangerous as well. He would need to understand that he is not the first option)

BENCH LINEUP

PG - Mills/Forbes (if Mills is not shooting well then play Forbes. It will be back and forth all year.)
    SG - Derozan (Main ball handler for the bench squad. He could be really good in this role. 6th man of the year type good. It all depends on how he accepts it too.
    SF - Gay/Carroll
    PF - Metu (we need to see if he has potential or if we just need to move on. He showed flashes in the wolves game. But let him get real burn for a good span and see what happens)
    C - Poetle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad indeed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Respectfully disagree on the Bruce Bowen argument.
    Firstly, I think Patty is not atrociously bad defensively. He's just small which limits him but he can do alright against midgets like himself.
    Secondly, the worst defenders in the roster are Beli and Forbes. Forbes is unbelievably bad, much much worse than Patty.
    Thirdly, Demar is not Bruce Bowen compared to anyone. He is not a disciplined defender. He does not try on defense. He is easily distracted and moved emotionally. He has a better body than Beli and Mills, but that's it.

Offensively he's a ball stopper. The team doesn't need anyone "carrying the offense" in a loosing effort. Spurs are okay offensively overall and outright good offensively when the bench plays. The problem is defense. And Demar is a worse defender than Carroll or whoever else.
    This.

I keep harping on this but its just getting on my nerves seeing him in there. Forbes should not be in the SL and should not be finishing games because of his lack of D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't overstate the fact that the difference in the score was absolutely the 34-10 FT disparity. When the gap is that big, there is probably some home cooking involved, but most of it is usually one team playing piss-poor team defense, and reaching to try and catch up.

This time last year I was adamant that DDR and Forbes couldn't be on the floor together, because together the revolving door on defense was just too big. By the end of the season, I let myself have hope that Forbes was learning how to use his increased size to his advantage, and that DDR had started to stay more focused on the defensive end. Either I imagined it, or they regressed. But DDR and Forbes can't be on the floor at the same time.

Poeltl's total lack of boxing out is starting to really piss me off. I don't know if he was that bad last year - I'd like to think I would have noticed. But this year he's been like a middle school kid who grew 6 inches over the summer, but doesn't have any understanding of what to do with it.

I quit watching the game at the half. I told my wife that there was no doubt in my mind that the Spurs were going to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. A big part of that was Aldridge. He was out there taking the plays that came his way, but he showed zero sign of a guy who is hungry for a win. I'm not blaming the loss on him, but with his experience and size, he could easily have rallied the troops, but it was obvious he wasn't going to. On nights like that, Tim would dig deep and lead by example. Aldridge is squishy. And getting squishier.
    Exactly. Where is defensive minded pop? did that Pop completely die? its maddening how he continues to trot out Forbes when he's essentially a mismatch against every player he plays against. And DDR not being a good defender definitely makes matters worse.

Thread Information