My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/jakob-poel...ter-struggles/

The gist: worse finishing, playing with different players, less playmaking and less spacing are all factors in his noticable decline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the article.
    Jakob downturn in stats is a result of general overall poor play by the team.
    I do know he spends too much time trying to cover for Gay, Patty and Beli.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poop ruined him. He needs to get the out of SA!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game has changed...he would be great if he played 20 years ago.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has the 2nd best netrating of all Spurs players and he would be even better, if they would use him more and if the guards could guard. He closed games for the Raptors for a reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't he having the highest Net Rating on the team? And him & White in the PnR are in the top 90th percentile...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't he having the highest Net Rating on the team? And him & White in the PnR are in the top 90th percentile...
    According to basketball reference he had a plus 22 net rating last season and a plus 10 net rating this season. He still does have the best bet rating on the team though.

His finishing at the rim has also been an issue, he's been outright bad within 3 feet of the rim- down 19% from 70% to 51%.

There are definitely some concerns with how he's played but that could be said about most other Spurs right now, to be fair.
    Last edited by cd021; 11-18-2019 at 04:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had a nice game against Portland tbh. His FG% at the rim is atrocious. He's worked on his post game a bit, but still has not enough moves for him to exploit mismatches. I think he will improve as the season progresses though. He's not the issue why this team sucks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had a nice game against Portland tbh. His FG% at the rim is atrocious. He's worked on his post game a bit, but still has not enough moves for him to exploit mismatches. I think he will improve as the season progresses though. He's not the issue why this team sucks
    Actually begin writing the article prior to the back and back, where he went it combined a 8-10 from the field. His field goal percentage and field goal percentage within three feet of the basket were even worse.

he's getting your fewer assisted baskets and I think it's a combination of Mills returning to shooting guard, and playing with Murray and White- neither of whom are doing a great job of setting him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob is a dinosaur in today's game that why he comes off the bench..

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He has to cover too much for other players, which make him ook bad. He lost his starting role for no reason. Last year in the Playoffs against denver, he played great, and it started to work with LMA.
    His play may not be a modern center, but there is still a great need for a good defending player like him. Last two games showed the trend upwards so i think it will be better again.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob is a dinosaur in today's game that why he comes off the bench..
    You can't deny, though, that they were better than this at the end of last season when he was starting, and LMA was playing the 4. I don't see any reason why that lineup would be sub-.500 right now.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he was never that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has found a way to alinate just about every player on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't deny, though, that they were better than this at the end of last season when he was starting, and LMA was playing the 4. I don't see any reason why that lineup would be sub-.500 right now.
    The LMA/Poeltl starting lineup was -4.6 points per 100 possessions last season. Ironically, you're still probably right. No way they could have Murray on the floor though, would have to be White.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The LMA/Poeltl starting lineup was -4.6 points per 100 possessions last season. Ironically, you're still probably right. No way they could have Murray on the floor though, would have to be White.

Wasn't even talking about stats. They won more games. That's better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the reason is that Trey has come on board and spreads the floor.. With LMA & DMARE incapable of shooting 3's the paint is a crowed place these days, and Trey spreads the floor a bit more.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I think the reason is that Trey has come on board and spreads the floor.. With LMA & DMARE incapable of shooting 3's the paint is a crowed place these days, and Trey spreads the floor a bit more.
    But at the expense of Defense. It does not help, that trey occasionally makes a 3, when on the other end the Defense is like swiss cheese. Poeltl can cover many mistakes and protect the rim. And in the last two games, when he started the 2nd half, the Starters played much better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game has changed...he would be great if he played 20 years ago.
    There are many good players with his skill set... He is just on a team that doesn't utilize him well

Thread Information