Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice article, didn't see that coming as the possible reason for the blowup. But since Pop thinks Forbes is a mini-Curry (and has said as much), I doubt he will make such a change. Plus, he hates what he sees from Walker, with all of his youthful mistakes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow you finally realized what 50% of the forum has been saying since 1935....Such Genuis..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree with this

Forbes deserve some credit for his work but he is not a starter caliber player and a 30 minutes player.

He needs no More than 15-20 minutes imo. His defense or lack of size is one reason of our struggle.
    Last edited by duncan2150; 11-18-2019 at 06:20 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor roster construction and it’s why he’s being forced to start is pretty much the big thing here. There’s just no viable option other than throwing Lonnie into the fold but we know Pop won’t do that either. Gonna be more of the same. Acting like the starting 5 isn’t a problem and playing the same rotations all year. There’s way too many problems on the roster that should have been addressed since the offseason. Forbes should have been a placeholder starter only for last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray - White - Gay - Aldridge - Poeltl
    should be the starting 5.

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "But if Forbes is the problem like I think is the case, I’m worried that Pop and the rest of the coaches won’t figure it out in time to save the season." If Pop does not pay attention to those advanced stats and acts consequently, he needs to go. Smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray - White - Gay - Aldridge - Poeltl
    should be the starting 5.
    Who is gonna shoot a three?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if forbes isnt starting,

then u chuck him with the 2nd unit with wombat and belli?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a very informative and impressive article. It confirms what I've felt for a while, not knowing the numbers. Forbes is targeted and easily scored on as the numbers suggest. It's more likely he'd thrive coming off the bench and putting points on the scoreboard without being a sitting duck for the opposing team's starting lineup.

First of all I think it's a great story of Forbes pulling himself up by hard work and determination, as you mentioned. That being said, it's hard to overlook these jaw dropping figures you have presented. I appreciate it because I didn't know these stats and it's pretty damn telling. Yep, I believe it's time for this 'experiment' to end. Thanks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article. I knew Forbes wasn't and won't be starting material, but I didn't know it was this far off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is gonna shoot a three?

everyone other than Poeltl can make them, Gay can make them fairly consistently, but it's not like having sub .200 shooters like belinelli is an alternative. We need to have these guys start being considered as true scorers, not guys who defer, or they will never grow.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes shouldn't play at all except garbage time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if forbes isnt starting,

then u chuck him with the 2nd unit with wombat and belli?
    no more belli at all ... and either Murray or White need to be on the floor for the whole 48 minutes of the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great analysis OP. I think inserting Carroll for Forbes would fix a lot. Slide DeRozan to SG and play Carroll at SF. Start Gay or Lyles at PF. That would fix the defense and keep if not improve the spacing as Carroll is a good 3-point shooter. It would also make things easier for DeRozan and improve the defense by a mile. I'd also prefer to start White and let Murray run with the bench.

Most likely Pop will never do this though since he loves Forbes and he's now even starring in HEB commercials. To make matters worse he also loves Mills and will keep both of them in the rotation. Pop also thinks Carroll is a PF so he doesn't want to play him at SF.

Imagine being 5-8 and starting Carroll instead of Forbes and playing Walker instead of Belinelli would fix all the issues this team has, yet your coach thinks they just have to play better. Does Pop ever talk to the analytic guys?

White/DeRozan/Carroll/Lyles/Aldridge

Murray/Mills/Walker/Gay/Poeltl

would be a very good rotation. You can swap Lyles/Gay if needed. Pairing Murray with Walker and Poeltl also makes a ton of sense, since Murray and Walker are the fastest players on the team and Poeltl runs the floor a lot better than Aldridge. Popovich might realize this when the team is 5-40 or he might never. What makes things really worse is that Forbes is 3rd in minutes averaged when he shouldn't even be in the rotation at all I can see the 4 years/60 million contract extension coming soon.

The smart thing would be to package Belinelli and Forbes together for a wing as Forbes has some trade value as a shooter and the combined salary of him and Belinelli is about 8 million.
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 11-18-2019 at 06:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also this is proof that trading Danny Green was a major mistake. Trading Green forced Pop to start a midget with 0 defense at SG and is the main reason why the defense of this team has fallen off a cliff. Yes Danny didn't have great shooting numbers since LaMarcus got here and he can't dribble for , but he's still way better than Bryn Forbes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also this is proof that trading Danny Green was a major mistake. Trading Green forced Pop to start a midget with 0 defense at SG and is the main reason why the defense of this team has fallen off a cliff. Yes Danny didn't have great shooting numbers since LaMarcus got here and he can't dribble for , but he's still way better than Bryn Forbes
    What’s funny was all the sniffers saying trading him was the right move or that he was done as a player yet he looked just fine on the Raptors and now the Lakers. You know teams that run actual systems and not inefficient 90s ball/LMA-Demar iso ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s funny was all the sniffers saying trading him was the right move or that he was done as a player yet he looked just fine on the Raptors and now the Lakers. You know teams that run actual systems and not inefficient 90s ball/LMA-Demar iso ball.
    the main issue was that he was the player dumping the ball into the post for LaMarcus on the left side of the floor. LA is not a good passer, so Danny usually never got clean looks and got forced into driving as his defender recovered when Aldridge passed it back out. That was a recipee for disaster. He should've been in the corner on the weakside to get the corner 3 once the players pass the ball around the 3-point line, but you know Pop. He can't see anymore

I'm not surprised that he played well on the Raptors and now the Lakers.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mookie2001 isn’t gonna like this ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually love Forbes. He's coming to play every single night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow you finally realized what 50% of the forum has been saying since 1935....Such Genuis..

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes manages to shoot it pretty well in this terrible offense, imagine Forbes' 3PT% with open looks and good passes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's only been obvious for three years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent, timvp. Very eye opening. I'm sympathetic to Forbes, but the results just aren't there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article LJ. If the Spurs aren't going to make a trade then Pop needs to change the starting lineup. Removing Forbes from the starting lineup is a good start. Inserting White instead would be a great solution. However, then your bench would consist of Mills & Forbes who are both undersized shooting guards that are defensive liabilities. Only thing I can think of is remove both Forbes & Derozan bfrom the starting lineup & insert White & Carroll into the starting lineup. Pop needs to convince Derozan to be the next 6th man.

Carroll might help with the defensive woes and the lack of 3pt shooting. White would definitely help on defense and offense. Bringing Derozan off the bench would remove the bad fit of Aldridge and Derozan playing together. He could still average 20 points or so by being the primary focus on offense in that second group along with Gay, Jakob, Forbes, and Mills.

Thread Information