Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He made 4 of the only 7 Spurs' 3s against the Kings. He's doing what he is supposed to do. Others don't, or can't.

To win games we need 3s. Only Patty has minutes and is shooting them. When LA did it we won games, now he decided he doesn't like them anymore. Everybody else clanks them or can't shoot them even when loosely guarded, on a pathetically static offense.

We can hate Bryn all day but he is doing his job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He gave twice the number points that he scored. There is more to the game than the three and he has been average at that. There is a reason people call him the cone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can hate Bryn all day but he is doing his job.
    40%+ on 3Gs is a good offensive job, but ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy is trash.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He is below 40% on 3s. I think you looked at his fg% at 40.5. his 3 is at 37.1. Murray who is not know as a 3 pt shooter is at 36.6 3pt% on the season. he does not shoot as much but he also does not play as much not have the green light forbes has.

Monty when you cherry pick games you can make him look good but overall he does not shoot well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    37% on treys.
    40% overall.

Bryn Bryns efg% of 52% is not bad. When considering he does nothing else well on O and plays zero D the 52% efg is not impressive. At all.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is below 40% on 3s. I think you looked at his fg% at 40.5. his 3 is at 37.1. Murray who is not know as a 3 pt shooter is at 36.6 3pt% on the season. he does not shoot as much but he also does not play as much not have the green light forbes has.

Monty when you cherry pick games you can make him look good but overall he does not shoot well.
    Sigh. Hes a catch and shoot player. He has no pg. The spurs dont help on d. Your bias because of spurs losses makes you point to him, well because everyone else on spurstalk is doing it. Lma and gay are also terrible on defense, probably worse than.forbes, but since you dont recognize help defense basics, nor anyone else on this site, then you just blindly state trash with no analysis. Spurs aren't playing good enough defense overall with Bryn starting or not. Why dont you watch defensive rotation after all spurs get blown by, not just forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not cherry picking. And I too think he is one of the worse starters.

He just is what he is, and he does what he is supposed to do. Which is shooting when slightly open, no matter if he makes them or not (i.e. Harden makes 36%). Today's NBA works like that, you need volume shooting to engage the defense and get second chance layups poiints. Nobody else is able/wants to do it. I blame DDR, LA more than Bryn. Even Gay should launch it every time he sees the rim.

Murray shoots 3s totally open, mostly from the corner, because the defense chooses so. That's a completely different thing.
    BTW with more volume 3s, Murray would get so many offensive rebounds...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People also get mad at Forbes but Keldon can't shoot, Lonnie can't shoot. And is not like players today don't know what they have to do. That's why mr Instagram coughs up videos of him shooting in an empty gym. Those videos got him an extension

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sigh. Hes a catch and shoot player. He has no pg. The spurs dont help on d. Your bias because of spurs losses makes you point to him, well because everyone else on spurstalk is doing it. Lma and gay are also terrible on defense, probably worse than.forbes, but since you dont recognize help defense basics, nor anyone else on this site, then you just blindly state trash with no analysis. Spurs aren't playing good enough defense overall with Bryn starting or not. Why dont you watch defensive rotation after all spurs get blown by, not just forbes.
    Thank god sometimes somebody mentions defensive rotations, help. But he's really too small for today's NBA. Really. Even on a perfect rotation he is eventually getting exposed. He's too small, sadly. In a sense he's like Beli, who in his mind never misses a rotation but has no legs to get there so offense just eats him alive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that Murray can't shoot... It's that he doesn't shoot... Ben Simmons can't shoot... Before this year, Fultz couldn't shoot... Murray hits jumpers every game and shoots a good percentage from 3... It's just that Pop Hass pussified him so much he only takes like 7 shots per game when he needs to be at about 15... Almost everytime he is aggressive offensively, we win

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull .

Pts/100 possessions against : 117.4 on court 109.8 off court. The worst defense in the league currently is Washington at 117.1. 117.4 would be the worst defense in the league. 109.8 would be the 14th in the league...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so you call 131 out of 133 games an experiment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as he's starting or playing 3rd most minutes on the team in not watching this team anymore, it's a ing disgrace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People also get mad at Forbes but Keldon can't shoot, Lonnie can't shoot. And is not like players today don't know what they have to do. That's why mr Instagram coughs up videos of him shooting in an empty gym. Those videos got him an extension
    DJ has a total of 66 posts on IG. How is he Mr. IG with less than a 100 posts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ has a total of 66 posts on IG. How is he Mr. IG with less than a 100 posts?
    it's a joke on the forums, nothing to take seriously. but he did trick more than few people into predicting himself as the savior of the team this year, which he isn't now unless you believe in the pop slave master meme in which pop is depressing the stats of good players in favor of pets. I don't think murray is better than the scheme allows. I don't think he would be a volume shooter unitl he gains trust in his legs. This is different than bertans who is obliviously a volume shooter but never meshed with Pops defense first mentality.

I think pop is a traditionalist who favors defense at 3,4,5 but allows garbage at 2 and 1. This makes sense if you can only add so much talent. He took a no defense fathead and turned him into a defense first no offense PF/SF.

Finally who wants to predict that keldon makes murray tradeable next year? overlapping skill sets goes in favor of the cheaper contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I was saying . . .

Timvp has assembled an impressive case against Forbes but I'll push back a bit.

Most teams, good or bad, start a guard who is weak on D. It's kind of like having a starting pitcher who can't hit -- when comparing such pitchers, you don't talk about which pitcher hits worse (who really cares) you talk about who is the better pitcher. That's what they're paid to do and that's their value.

Forbes' value will be determined by his offensive performance -- especially on a team as desperate for three-point shooting as the Spurs. Take a look at Game 7 of the Denver series and then straight-face the claim that he hurts this team.

And if you want to evaluate weak defensive guards within a team defense (like the Spurs'), I would suggest you start with looking at how often that guard is out of position. Forbes holds up fairly well under that standard. For example, in both of the clips in the article, Forbes was between his man an the basket. Small praise but at least better than Lonnie Walker who often wanders around close to half court like he's playing a one-man zone against the Jumbotron. (And with Walker's offensive potential, he shouldn't be evaluated only on his defense either.) In short, staying in front of your man doesn't break down a team defense nearly as badly as completely losing your man does.

As far as attempting to extrapolate Forbes' defensive play by looking at team defense statistics when he's in, I think that's a reach. I'm not a fan of +/- analysis and such stats seem to be venturing dangerously into that territory. Believe your eyes -- Forbes seems to always hit a big three when the team most needs it, when the team is going bad. Those are statement shots that can affect the game much more than the same shot in a less critical situation.

Pop has taken a lot of heat here lately during this losing streak, some of it deserved. But when it comes to evaluating defense, I'll defer to him every day of the week. Pop absolutely will not play anyone who misses defensive assignments and yet he starts Forbes.

So is Forbes a defensive liability? Absolutely. Does he hurt the team as a starter? I think not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Over/under Bryn Forbes starting 81 games next year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It still hurts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over under 150 games until Flopovich realizes he shouldn’t start Forbes at SG?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why can't we have nice things

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This place will blow on the first pre season game when Forbes starts. Just like how Lyle's and gay started last pre season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop loves the lil fcker
    Lets be honest, we kinda love him too(deep down, very deep), he has a loveable face the lil and a very punchable at the same time
    Last edited by GreekSpursfan; 08-04-2021 at 04:20 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Over/under Bryn Forbes starting 81 games next year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - primo suave will learn from bryns culture,and character

Thread Information