Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    patty defending luka to begin with is ridiculous. you think patty would have contested luka's stepback anyway? who cares that dallas thought attacking forbes was better than mills. the fact that mills was the preferred defender to begin with just shows the absurdity of what pop is doing. the analysis doesnt need to go any farther than that
    Yeah but DJ/White were bad, Pop had no choice but to go back to that well for the 200th time in the last 2 years. Hindsight is 20/20 Edgelord

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is going to get Mills type money isn’t he.
    Oh you know it. If you think they're not going to pick Mills/Forbes over White/Lonnie then I've got some bad news for ya, Deeps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is going to get Mills type money isn’t he.
    I'm already dreading it, tbh.

Yeah but DJ/White were bad, Pop had no choice but to go back to that well for the 200th time in the last 2 years. Hindsight is 20/20 Edgelord
    Man, that Belinelli revelation has you riled up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew when they started hyping this 15th man in practice years ago that he would be another coaches pet.

I knew when I heard the sob story about his kids and getting his shot in SL and excelling that this charity case would end up playing just too many minutes with this team. Look where we are now

And, now, seeing how much of a green light and pass on defense he gets - the kind that only other coach's pets like Bonner, Finley, Mills, and Belinelli got - I just know that he's getting that big loyalty contract too. ing book it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is gonna shoot a three?
    The other team’s stretch four and five will shoot plenty of threes against that lineup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew when they started hyping this 15th man in practice years ago that he would be another coaches pet.

I knew when I heard the sob story about his kids and getting his shot in SL and excelling that this charity case would end up playing just too many minutes with this team. Look where we are now

And, now, seeing how much of a green light and pass on defense he gets - the kind that only other coach's pets like Bonner, Finley, Mills, and Belinelli got - I just know that he's getting that big loyalty contract too. ing book it.
    Is Forbes restricted or unrestricted?

That will dictate how aggressively they'll go out to re-sign him. Either way, the pessimists should calm the down about him getting "paid" or choosing Mills/Forbes over White/Walker.

The team has had plenty of projects that they built up - do Stephen Jackson or Gary Neal ring a bell (?) - only to let them walk when the asking price was too high.

And Patty was a special case, since he was "low balled" in 2014 because of his shoulder surgery (that he played through and was worse than originally suspected) & the team was over cap so it couldn't have spent money otherwise on anyone else.

Does it suck to give a back up PG $12.5 million annually, yes, but they were probably under the false pretense that the cap would continue to rise (more steadily). Thus, making his contract hurt a lot less.

Back to the subject of the thread, I'm hoping the old guy realizes soon that Forbes is nowhere near starter material and sends him to the bench (to play alongside White). The kid has a ton of heart and moxy, but he isn't cut out to be a starter in any NBA team's rotation let alone two years in a row.

Should be the 11th, 12th man or play a similar role to Seth Curry (not presently speaking while Carlisle starts him). Is a horrendous defender on a nightly basis and cannot even spread the floor for DeMar and LaMarcus to operate. Of course, knowing Pop and his nonsense he'll ride Forbes through the entire season until the Spurs are unceremoniously eliminated from playoff contention.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 11-19-2019 at 01:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty telling that of Mills, DeRozan and Forbes to go against, Carlisle dramatically chose Forbes without a second thought. He couldn't wave over the screen fast enough.
    There's no doubt, going after Forbes was part of the game plan. You can see that Carlisle is frustrated (he's out on the court), because Curry hasn't recognized what he was told to do.

But on the other hand, look at that video and watch Patty's reaction and tell me what you see. It really is a team effort.

A few games ago, Walker was benched for not fighting hard enough on switches and early pick ups while defending Kawhi, and that's the disconnect for me. Pop watches Patty, Forbes, Beli, and Demar blow defensive opportunities every game without punishment, but White & Walker get the hook almost immediately for mistakes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i said this EXACT thing two years ago and ppl on me for saying it....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few games ago, Walker was benched for not fighting hard enough on switches and early pick ups while defending Kawhi, and that's the disconnect for me. Pop watches Patty, Forbes, Beli, and Demar blow defensive opportunities every game without punishment, but White & Walker get the hook almost immediately for mistakes.
    exactly...and not only do they immediately get the hook, but in lonnie's case, he gets taken out for games on end...so what do u think happens next time? his game gets pussified and he thinks too much instead of doing what he has naturally been doing for almost 20 years...ppl think im crazy when i said steph curry wouldnt have been nearly as good as he is now because the first 30 foot shot he put up with 15 left on the clock, he would have been benched for games on end...and he would have stopped trying to shoot that shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After the article and only one game in, it is so clear now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exactly...and not only do they immediately get the hook, but in lonnie's case, he gets taken out for games on end...so what do u think happens next time? his game gets pussified and he thinks too much instead of doing what he has naturally been doing for almost 20 years...ppl think im crazy when i said steph curry wouldnt have been nearly as good as he is now because the first 30 foot shot he put up with 15 left on the clock, he would have been benched for games on end...and he would have stopped trying to shoot that shot
    We're not winning in the foreseeable future, and we're not getting a #1 in a trade for either, at least keep around guys that show up, want to play and are fun to watch. That's the main reason LMA definitely needs to go, he's all about his jumpers, disappears in crunch time, and continually talks about GTFO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's Pop putting himself above the franchise, Forbes wouldn't play more than 15 minutes anywhere else, and probably wouldn't be a starter on euroleague elite teams.

and some people here believe that Lonnie is really motivated watching this happen game after game.
    Last edited by r0drig0lac; 11-19-2019 at 06:18 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could understand the loses if Pop was trying to acclimate White and Murray working together. White needs to be the starting PG from here on out. Murray should play a hybrid wing role of SF/SG that is more along the lines of how Rodman played (just do what you do best). DeRozan needs to be considered the starting SG. LMA needs to be considered a PF and reinsert Poetl into the starting lineup.

Defense gets solved and confidence issues get solved. Pop, however, has regressed to what is one of the poorest coaches in the NBA. What happened over the summer seemed to have done a number on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^That offense would still suck though. Just a poorly built team with several pieces that compound core problems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could understand the loses if Pop was trying to acclimate White and Murray working together. White needs to be the starting PG from here on out. Murray should play a hybrid wing role of SF/SG that is more along the lines of how Rodman played (just do what you do best). DeRozan needs to be considered the starting SG. LMA needs to be considered a PF and reinsert Poetl into the starting lineup.

Defense gets solved and confidence issues get solved. Pop, however, has regressed to what is one of the poorest coaches in the NBA. What happened over the summer seemed to have done a number on him.
    I’d like to see it tried. Murray decision making and ball handling at the critical moment is suspect. He needs to shoot and make his pick and roll jumper though not matter what.
    I trust White as the decision maker as point. He needs to recover his last form which has fallen off.
    Without the two young guards playing well there is no chance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fun defensive hustle stat that I thought about making a thread about, but whatever

guard deflections per 36 minutes

filtering for 'guards' who have played at least 150 minutes on the season = 152 players

'guards' is pretty loose as it includes Rudy Gay, Brandon Clarke and Oubre among others, but mostly guards

Out of 152 guards ranked in deflections per 36

Bryn Forbes is ranked 150

Marco is ranked 151

Dejounte number 3, Thybulle number 1

So more wood for the Spurs bad defense bonfire

Forbes and Marco are combining for what, 44.5 minutes? But they do as little to interrupt opposing offensive flow as any guard combination. Even when opposing players aren't going right through Forbes and Marco, the defense still suffers because those guys aren't breaking up any passes or knocking away any dribbles.

Mills gets his hands on balls 3 times as much. Dejounte, 7 times as much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as the Spurs roster, not filtering for total minutes

'Un-compe ive Lonnie' of course somehow getting more than twice as many deflections per 36 as Marco, and twice as much as Forbes. Imagine if he was just as compe ive!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to believe in this guy but yeah, he's just another chucker but our problems are way deeper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is a short Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is a short Bonner.
    Which is worse. Bonner could stick his hands up and had some strength. Forbes can't stick with a single player in this league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i said this EXACT thing two years ago and ppl on me for saying it....
    And they'll do the same thing two weeks from now . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're not winning in the foreseeable future, and we're not getting a #1 in a trade for either, at least keep around guys that show up, want to play and are fun to watch. That's the main reason LMA definitely needs to go, he's all about his jumpers, disappears in crunch time, and continually talks about GTFO.
    Exactly! The guy literally said he wanted to play on another team while on this one, and everyone let it slide

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they'll do the same thing two weeks from now . . .
    Sadly

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many problems going on with this team right now. Perhaps a large but overlooked one is that unlike the past Popovich no longer yells at his best players. In the past it was almost a cliché that pop would yell at Tim Duncan. Now, he won’t even look at DeMar DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is worse. Bonner could stick his hands up and had some strength. Forbes can't stick with a single player in this league.
    because of how much Truth this is.

Thread Information