Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly never thought I’d see the day where it was pop holding the team back from their potential (regardless of what said potential is) but here we are.

Pop has too much reliance on corporate knowledge and is struggling to adapt because of it. He’s compromised and Brian Wright needs to remove the temptation and force pop to do what’s right.

I believe that if Mills (to a lesser degree since he’s been good), Beli & Forbes weren’t here he’d have the team in the thick of it.

But with them here he won’t make the tough decisions.

And alienating the youth on the heels of Kawhi bolting is scary.
    True, he's coaching the team as if Duncan, Ginobili and Parker will suddenly unretire and morph back into their 20 year old selves.

Makes absolutely no sense to bench Murray, even with his struggles, for a guard lineup with two lesser, defensively inept guards.

Makes no sense to go big against a quick, athletic team when either Aldridge or Poeltl are lacking in post play. Aldridge has been allergic to backing his man down and punishing on the block (feels like his "I want to be traded" season all over again).

Makes no sense to play Carroll limited minutes in the second half when he's been cold from lack of time.

Makes no sense to not play at least one of the young guys (Walker IV, Metu or Johnson) to see if they can bring a defensive or overall spark.

This is by far Pop's most stubborn and petulant coaching period of his career. Not sure there is anyone around that can steer him in another direction.....

Side-note: I strongly, strongly disagree with giving either Forbes or Mills anything higher than a C-. They were the primary reason Ish Smith(!) and Bradley Beal went off for 50+ points combined. Just a stupidly bad combination to have on the floor as starters.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp is smoking crack if he thought Murray was as bad as Aldridge and worse than Lyles, Carroll, and Forbes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can’t put this loss on Pop. He made the right adjustments. We scored 132, that should be enough to win the game. Pop did everything he could to put us in a position to win the game and anyone else complaining about it is unjustifiably whining.

At the end of the day it’s about desire to win and LMA doesn’t have it this year. That’s not on Pop. L-Train isn’t even trying on defense anymore, the dude is worthless now that he isn’t scoring.
    We have scored that much before this season... Scoring isn't the issue... We won't score 130 every game with that lineup... We played the wizards.. My hat was a ty adjustment from Pop

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was pretty close to retiring this off-season. I was kinda bummed when I initially heard that, but now I sorta wish he would've. His rotations/lineups make absolutely no sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was pretty close to retiring this off-season. I was kinda bummed when I initially heard that, but now I sorta wish he would've. His rotations/lineups make absolutely no sense.
    Well, the ship be sinking (or is sunk) so I see this being his last hurrah. ty way for a great coach to go out but everyone looks like TOSB in the end.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Side-note: I strongly, strongly disagree with giving either Forbes or Mills anything higher than a C-. They were the primary reason Ish Smith(!) and Bradley Beal went off for 50+ points combined. Just a stupidly bad combination to have on the floor as starters.....
    But how much is that on Forbes and Mills underperforming and how much is that is due to a coach asking them to do something they can't?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I saw the starting line up I was out...lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can’t put this loss on Pop. He made the right adjustments. We scored 132, that should be enough to win the game. Pop did everything he could to put us in a position to win the game and anyone else complaining about it is unjustifiably whining.

At the end of the day it’s about desire to win and LMA doesn’t have it this year. That’s not on Pop. L-Train isn’t even trying on defense anymore, the dude is worthless now that he isn’t scoring.
    Sadly the game is not played only at one side of the court. They scored 132, but gave up 138. That’s atrocious defense from a Spurs team who’s historically been a good defensive organization. We cannot outscore the opponent, when they can easily score on us. And that’s coaching. Granted Demar choke yet again in the FT when it mattered most. But playing against a lowly team, it shouldn’t even be close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But how much is that on Forbes and Mills underperforming and how much is that is due to a coach asking them to do something they can't?
    I agree - especially Forbes. I’ve said he’s been the player most put in a position to fail for 2 years now. Even knowing that he typically competes hard. Can’t fault him too hard.

Mills is similar but he was given a huge raise and didn’t improve at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree - especially Forbes. I’ve said he’s been the player most put in a position to fail for 2 years now. Even knowing that he typically competes hard. Can’t fault him too hard.

Mills is similar but he was given a huge raise and didn’t improve at all.
    Mills is having a good season. He can't improve, he's limited by his body. Mostly he competes hard enough.
    He's an okay energy spark from the bench. He was never going to be more than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh wow. That explains a lot. What a bad way to ride off into the sunset, having your wife pass away, your franchise player you over and trying to steer the ship of a badly constructed roster led by uninspired veterans. I’m a Pop fan and have been a long time. Hindsight, I wish he would have retired when Tim did like he said he would. Had he known uncle would pull the he did, I bet he would have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, he's coaching the team as if Duncan, Ginobili and Parker will suddenly unretire and morph back into their 20 year old selves.

Makes absolutely no sense to bench Murray, even with his struggles, for a guard lineup with two lesser, defensively inept guards.

Makes no sense to go big against a quick, athletic team when either Aldridge or Poeltl are lacking in post play. Aldridge has been allergic to backing his man down and punishing on the block (feels like his "I want to be traded" season all over again).

Makes no sense to play Carroll limited minutes in the second half when he's been cold from lack of time.

Makes no sense to not play at least one of the young guys (Walker IV, Metu or Johnson) to see if they can bring a defensive or overall spark.

This is by far Pop's most stubborn and petulant coaching period of his career. Not sure there is anyone around that can steer him in another direction.....

After reading this post all i can do is shake my head and wonder why.

I love my spurs and always will.

i don't mind the losing season, but i feel its happening because of rotations and lineups not because we just aren't good enough. its coaching vs just a lack of talent and experience. not saying playing the young guys wins us games but heck if your willing to play your 2 worst defensive players together you truly cant be stubborn enough to try and play your 2 best defensive players together. right?

but thats exactly whats happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is having a good season. He can't improve, he's limited by his body. Mostly he competes hard enough.
    He's an okay energy spark from the bench. He was never going to be more than that.
    I’m talking about from the season he got paid. If he was never going to improve its even a worse decision if SA thought that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m talking about from the season he got paid. If he was never going to improve its even a worse decision if SA thought that.
    I think it was an obvious loyalty contract. Nobody expected him to get better at basketball. Maybe better at mentoring, transfering "corporate knowledge" etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many one dimensional players on this team. Pop needs to get rid of one of the trio of Mills, Forbes, and Belinelli. White when healthy, and Murray need to be on the floor at all times. Not having a true, starting caliber SF, really hurts this team. Like a couple of posters in this thread stated, having a disinterested, underperforming Aldridge is one of the biggest culprits to this losing season so far.
    in the ideal world he should get rid of them all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What yall are complaining about pop is what us edgelords have been saying since Bonner Blair. The man is a stubborn old sob . He refuses to go with the obvious and play his better defensive players cause he has his favorites.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If things don't end badly, they usually don't end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What yall are complaining about pop is what us edgelords have been saying since Bonner Blair. The man is a stubborn old sob . He refuses to go with the obvious and play his better defensive players cause he has his favorites.
    Floyd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is Tim Duncan and Becky Hammon sitting next to Pop on the bench. Surely White being out was not a great hand, but the idea of Forbes, Mills, and DDR getting hammered is not surprising to fans, so why is it not surprising to the coaches? Forbes on Beal was not necessarily Forbes' fault, but it was the game. That was the most likely win we had coming in the next several games and it was sad. Philly will score a couple of 40 pt quarters and #8 will be here soon. Can we beat the Knicks? Maybe them, but any other team in the NBA will beat a defense like we saw last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it was an obvious loyalty contract. Nobody expected him to get better at basketball. Maybe better at mentoring, transfering "corporate knowledge" etc
    We will never know, and while loyalty obviously played a role I highly doubt they sunk that much money into Mills with the expectation that he would not improve aspects of his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will never know, and while loyalty obviously played a role I highly doubt they sunk that much money into Mills with the expectation that he would not improve aspects of his game.
    Didn't Mills sign that contract at 29? Nobody thought he would improve. He was already declining by the time he signed it.

What we smokin?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't Mills sign that contract at 29? Nobody thought he would improve. He was already declining by the time he signed it.

What we smokin?
    Exactly. But it was a move showing the league that SAS takes care of its veterans and values loyalty and leadership

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it was a move showing the league that SAS takes care of its veterans and values loyalty and leadership
    It was the leadership, the fact that Parker's leg just exploded, the Nets were going hard after him and the Spurs wanted to retain point guard experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What we smokin?
    If that is the case, it makes the deal even worse in my mind. While older, I definitely feel like if you get paid, it’s because you are worth the raise and will elevate the team.

Thread Information