Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was the leadership, the fact that Parker's leg just exploded, the Nets were going hard after him and the Spurs wanted to retain point guard experience.
    Man, that is even more atrocious in hindsight. Not the logic of keeping him, but paying that much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that is the case, it makes the deal even worse in my mind. While older, I definitely feel like if you get paid, it’s because you are worth the raise and will elevate the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I wrong here ? 50M for a guy who you know doesn’t move the needle because you want a PG that is not really a PG and can’t defend and has no chance to elevate the team?

Maybe I am naive on this one, but usually when you get a raise it’s because you are expected to take on more responsibility capably.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I wrong here ? 50M for a guy who you know doesn’t move the needle because you want a PG that is not really a PG and can’t defend and has no chance to elevate the team?

Maybe I am naive on this one, but usually when you get a raise it’s because you are expected to take on more responsibility capably.
    I mean, if you were holding out hope for a 29-year-old Patty Mills to improve, you're .... one optimistic fellow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, if you were holding out hope for a 29-year-old Patty Mills to improve, you're .... one optimistic fellow.
    I was the OG sniffer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree with both of you here. Patty Mills was tasked to be the "culture guy" after this raise. Expecting his on the court capability (especially with all the young guards on our team) is probably overkill. We all like the progress of our young guys yet no one wants to believe/credit that "Patty's presence" has been helping them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Loyalty contracts only makes sense to lifelong franchise players... Not role players... If a young star sees Tim Duncan getting a loyalty contract, they will get it... That's wouldn't stop them from wanting to play for us... But when they see it going to over the hill role players that have only been on the team for a couple years, that's not a team they are gonna wanna play on... These young dudes don't wanna play on a team with a bunch of old, overpaid trash that they have to carry every night

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Loyalty contracts only makes sense to lifelong franchise players

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is not Mills contract but who is getting the minutes. Murray & White should be averaging at least 30mins a game with Walker taking all of Marcos minutes. On the latter, if given consistent mins, he would easily beat out Forbes & Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is not Mills contract but who is getting the minutes. Murray & White should be averaging at least 30mins a game with Walker taking all of Marcos minutes. On the latter, if given consistent mins, he would easily beat out Forbes & Mills.
    That is part and parcel. You play guys you pay and whats the point of paying guys you shouldn’t play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree the segue into Mills' contract is not the issue here, but I'm not convinced Walker could "easily beat out Forbes & Mills." The rabbit hole I'm currently digging is who, apart from Pop, thought it was a good idea lessening our defensive lineup against the Wizards? It's definitely the part of this write-up that seemed to be the obvious problem and Pop is surely mostly to blame. However is there any input from the rest of the coaching staff?

Yes we didn't dig a huge whole in the first quarter, but they did score 35. Meaning it looked like our plan was only to outscore them. I'm wondering if anyone is looking at the analytics like timvp has written about clearly showing we are at the bottom of the heap when certain lineups are on the court. Our options are limited I reckon, but having guys like Carroll never play is puzzling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is part and parcel. You play guys you pay and whats the point of paying guys you shouldn’t play
    Mills has been one of our better players off the bench. That starting lineup was another thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was the leadership, the fact that Parker's leg just exploded, the Nets were going hard after him and the Spurs wanted to retain point guard experience.
    The only person that thinks Mills is an NBA point guard is Greggorious Popmonovich.

Thread Information