Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes positions generally come with certain expectations when it comes to their defensive role (mainly because the offensive position they play is usually related to size), but in the end, the le of the position is primarily describing the offensive role. if a player defended the opposing teams smallest guard, but never runs the offense or brings the ball up the court, it doesnt matter who he guards, hes simply not a point guard. it literally wouldn't make sense to classify someone as running point, if they never do.

luka is very clearly a point guard, and is classified as one. plain and simple. anyone who argues this is completely re ed.
    You've literally got this all backwards. Offensive roles, now more than ever, have little to do with size.

What an archaic take. Apparently you've never heard the cliche, you are what you guard.

Doncic is a primary ball handler/creator offensively and wing/forward defensively. James has always been the same, yet he's listed/referred to as a "SF" and Doncic a "PG". It makes no sense.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if some of you want LeBron to be a point guard, its fine with me, but if you claim Luka is not a point guard, you really are a ing re and your opinion about baskeball is irelevant.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've literally got this all backwards. Offensive roles, now more than ever, have little to do with size.

What an archaic take. Apparently you've never heard the cliche, you are what you guard.

Doncic is a primary ball handler/creator offensively and wing/forward defensively. James has always been the same, yet he's listed/referred to as a "SF" and Doncic a "PG". It makes no sense.
    Agree with you 100%. Doncic’s role is no different to what Lebron has played his entire career yet we have always referred to Lebron as a SF and Luka as a PG. I’ve always seen Luka as a 3 who happens to be the main play maker just like Lebron. Brunson is their PG, Bullock their SG (ok you can interchange SG and SF), DFS as their 4.

Same way I’ve always seen James Harden as a 2 guard despite everyone starting to call him a PG the last few years. He’s always has a smaller guard start next to him and he’s never defended the opposition PG. He’s a 2 guard who happens to be the main ball handler.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

so then please explain what "running point" means

no ive never heard that cliche because it doesnt exist

and what i said about size i was referring to the way traditional size has been viewed for most of basketball history (although it still holds weight, as generally guards are smaller, forwards are medium size, and centers are largest). but obviously it has changed drastically in recent history, otherwise i wouldn't be arguing that luka and lebron are point guards
    Last edited by Neo.; 03-31-2022 at 05:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with you 100%. Doncic’s role is no different to what Lebron has played his entire career yet we have always referred to Lebron as a SF and Luka as a PG. I’ve always seen Luka as a 3 who happens to be the main play maker just like Lebron. Brunson is their PG, Bullock their SG (ok you can interchange SG and SF), DFS as their 4.

Same way I’ve always seen James Harden as a 2 guard despite everyone starting to call him a PG the last few years. He’s always has a smaller guard start next to him and he’s never defended the opposition PG. He’s a 2 guard who happens to be the main ball handler.
    this is pretty much the first season Dallas is starting Brunson with Luka. So the previous 3 seasons I gues Tim Hardaway and Finney Smith were playmakers. And even with Brunson on the floor, Luka still has the ball 90% of the time and he dictates the offense. LeBron has never in his career had the ball in his hands as much as Luka.

the more i read this thread its obvious some of you have never watched a Dallas game, other than when he played your team. While I watched 95% of his games since he was 17, so i am pretty ing sure he's a point guard.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    6'10 Ben Simmons who generally defends wings and forwards listed as point guard. Both 6'6+ Ball brothers listed as point guards.

Midget guards Terry Rozier, Bryn Forbes, Seth Curry, Lou Williams who are usually matched up against other point guards all listed as shooting guards.

LeBron is a point guard. He isn't listed as a point guard probably because he came into the league like a million years ago when listings weren't so microscopically and critically dissected.

The Luka-LeBron comparison isn't about Luka being listed incorrectly. It's that LeBron's position listing hasn't been updated. LeBron is a point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6'10 Ben Simmons who generally defends wings and forwards listed as point guard. Both 6'6+ Ball brothers listed as point guards.

Midget guards Terry Rozier, Bryn Forbes, Seth Curry, Lou Williams who are usually matched up against other point guards all listed as shooting guards.

LeBron is a point guard. He isn't listed as a point guard probably because he came into the league like a million years ago when listings weren't so microscopically and critically dissected.

The Luka-LeBron comparison isn't about Luka being listed incorrectly. It's that LeBron's position listing hasn't been updated. LeBron is a point guard.
    yea, and you know why? Cause they cant create and are not playmakers.

The LeBron thing i agree with and if they changed his position now, i wouldnt mind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly. It's not fair to compare small guards, who are also primary creators, but are mostly one position defenders (sure, you can hide them on a 3 and D wing) to forwards who have inherent advantages based on stature alone.

Like, Morant and Young can't be Doncic not because of skill or talent, but because of stature. He's also a poor defender, but just based on that, he has multiple utilities defensively because he can guard 2-4 and more than hold his own on the glass.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    the more i read this thread its obvious some of you have never watched a Dallas game, other than when he played your team.
    this becomes more and more evident every time guys like TD 21 posts something about luka lol

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    hey f@ggots, there's really no need to overthink this...the point guard is the one who consistently brings the ball up and leads the offense. Whether it's the shortest guy on the court or that one uber-athletic guy from recess who was taller and more skilled than everybody else at everything.

Somewhat unrelated TD 21, I'm not saying you could commit suicide but it may be time to start looking into a plan of effectively killing yourself

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the continued lack of basic reading comprehension.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    at making up cliches that don't exist and not being able to explain what it means to run point

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At claiming to be a basketball fan and not knowing the term, you are what you guard and still not understanding that I'm making a distinction defensively and that it's not a knock on your great white hope.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    At claiming to be a basketball fan and not knowing the term, you are what you guard and still not understanding that I'm making a distinction defensively and that it's not a knock on your great white hope.
    still insisting on a nonexistent cliche you probably heard from your over-zealous 6th grade coach who sucked so bad at basketball he lives vicariously through kids

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    “You are who you guard”

sounds like det one came straight from TD 21’s ass tbh imho

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Saw some Bird like vision and dishes again today vs Bucks yes could also be Kidd Bron Magic but as a passer Bird is who he reminds me of most. Bird had better vision just like MJ had a better fadeaway than Kobe but Luka passing is reminiscent (not identical for the morons) I don’t care what y’all say here and I’m not the only one that sees it. And yes Jokic has some of that too but Jokic reminds me of cwebb or bill Walton at their best

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “You are who you guard”

sounds like det one came straight from TD 21’s ass tbh imho
    We know it didn't come from Dirk

Thread Information