Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/should-san...-tear-it-down/

Gist:- They probably should, if they do, then Aldridge and DeRozan are the obvious candidates to go...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would hate that Portland trade. And I like Gordon next to LMA, and not with LMA also traded out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering this could be Pop's last season, and the playoff streak is still alive, it's hard to imagine the Spurs tearing down until the ship has completely sunk. That's still a ways off. Despite all the problems so far this season, I still think the team has the potential for a decent playoff push. So no tear down this year, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tear it down and become Orlando, Atlanta, Phoenix....It might work. And by 2026 lose the team to Seattle or Mexico City expansion team.

A year ago we were losing by 30.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tear it down and become Orlando, Atlanta, Phoenix....It might work. And by 2026 lose the team to Seattle or Mexico City expansion team.

A year ago we were losing by 30.
    Shut your ass up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shut your ass up.
    You're funny. Care to expand your philosophy?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Shut your ass up.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh, let me. You're talking like a . You're talking like an ass. Reach back and press your cheeks together, and stop both.

Time, the salary cap, and 20+ years of bad draft position have torn it down already. The only question, IMO, is how they handle it. I don't think a rebuild-in-place is possible anymore. That doesn't mean the should be stupid and just have a fire sale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, let me. You're talking like a . You're talking like an ass. Reach back and press your cheeks together, and stop both.

Time, the salary cap, and 20+ years of bad draft position have torn it down already. The only question, IMO, is how they handle it. I don't think a rebuild-in-place is possible anymore. That doesn't mean the should be stupid and just have a fire sale.
    Alt account or were you just feeling alone? needed someone to talk to? or is it just frustration over inferior breeding?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Stupid is, as stupid does. He quoted, as the Spurs keep starting Forbes and playing Belinelli.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tear it down? We are already bad...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering this could be Pop's last season, and the playoff streak is still alive, it's hard to imagine the Spurs tearing down until the ship has completely sunk. That's still a ways off. Despite all the problems so far this season, I still think the team has the potential for a decent playoff push. So no tear down this year, imo.
    You had me going there for a second. Should probably think about using the blue font color next time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tear it down? We are already bad...
    Oh, I dunno. A couple new shingles, a lick of paint. No need for anything drastic. It's fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alt account or were you just feeling alone? needed someone to talk to? or is it just frustration over inferior breeding?

Well I admit attendance at the temples has been a little light the past century or so. And my dad did swallow all my siblings, but I wouldn't call him "inferior".

No, I just chimed in because you were talking like a , and after the damn Greeks all turned pillow-biter I have a low tolerance for y men. Just sack up a bit, and don't let it happen again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do people on this site real think there's a future around Murray, white poertle; you'd have to commit pretty soon to those players and need to decide how that team looks (and it looks bad as of today) with the expected return from the trade with win soon players. That's not a rebuild really at all but just a trade.

But if you plan a top 12 pick, draft to match Luka and Lonnie, trade Murray and white, that's a rebuild. People want to imagine LMA and DeroZan have great value but they don't. Murray would get a good return. Trade to Orlando? Go for Bamba and treat Gordon as trade bait.

Talent in the NBA is hard to get because the base talent is high, so superlative talent is even more rare. This current team lack talent and is built poorly. You're rebuild plan should address both talent and team makeup in that order, but a limited trade of DeroZan and LMA for younger players wouldn't upgrade talent. It could change team makeup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do people on this site real think there's a future around Murray, white poertle; you'd have to commit pretty soon to those players and need to decide how that team looks (and it looks bad as of today) with the expected return from the trade with win soon players. That's not a rebuild really at all but just a trade.

But if you plan a top 12 pick, draft to match Luka and Lonnie, trade Murray and white, that's a rebuild. People want to imagine LMA and DeroZan have great value but they don't. Murray would get a good return. Trade to Orlando? Go for Bamba and treat Gordon as trade bait.

Talent in the NBA is hard to get because the base talent is high, so superlative talent is even more rare. This current team lack talent and is built poorly. You're rebuild plan should address both talent and team makeup in that order, but a limited trade of DeroZan and LMA for younger players wouldn't upgrade talent. It could change team makeup.
    Dejounte and White are certainly talented enough that you could build a team around them - which doesn't mean they have to be the most talented players on said roster. Especially for DJ, right now, it's painfully obvious how bad the fit around him is; while he excels at transition offense and attacking the rim with his quick first step, the Spurs have clogged the paint with two non shooting stars who defenders can say off of and contest most if not all of DJ's shots. Now, play him with a defensive minded SG, a 3&D wing, and a stretch four/five... That's a different tune. Dejounte's ceiling is a triple double machine creating havoc on D and playing aggressive transition offense; you can't really bring that out to shine if he's by far the best and only capable defender in the SL and also the fastest player on the team... Who's gonna be running besides him for the lobs? Surely not LMA, DD, Forbes, etc.

I agree with everything else though. The talent that you should surround DJ with has to be gotten from the lottery - other teams won't be gifting it to us and it sure as isn't on the roster already. I have some hopes that Samanic and/or Keldon can grow into this style of fast play, but that's about it tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do people on this site real think there's a future around Murray, white poertle.

If DDR opts out, they don't re-sign Beli, and they don't pay Lyles (he's not guaranteed for 20-21), that's $39M in freed up salary. That's enough to do some damage. The problem is, next year's FA class is pretty much . I don't think they will be able to coax Anthony Davis away from the Lakers. The second best FA in the class is arguably DDR. Bad timing, huh? (Keeping up with projected FA classes is one of the responsibilities of a front office.)

So they pretty much have to improve through trade(s), or plan on freeing up even more cap space for the next year.

They could think about getting two good draft picks, maneuvering for cap space in 2021, and accept two seasons of lottery ball. But how do they attract a top level FA or two? The story for a long time has been that players would come here just to play for the GOAT coach. (Whether it worked out that way or not.) But after two lottery seasons, do we really think that Pop is going to be here to start building a new dynasty?

This is what I've been harping on for a long time. The Spurs waited too ing long to recognize that they had already reached the tipping point. If they play their cards right, I think they could build a roster that could make it to the second round of the playoffs - maybe overachieve into the WCF. They would have to make some hard choices (and get them right), and get a little lucky in the draft. But I think it's doable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs already torn down. A collection of has-beens and long-shots.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only solution is tanking and trading ddr and lma for young guys or draft picks. We dont have any assets to bring a star nor we attractive destination for FA. Spurs need to draft or get via trade young talents and develop them. By develop i mean giving them minutes in nba not like pop sending them to g-league aka kindergarden.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    last year spurs were 11-14 on dec 5

just fyi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's against the NBA rules to "tank", but Pop can achieve that by altering rotations and regulating minutes if he chooses to. Let some contracts play themselves out and maybe let someone go to FA. Presto, we are in the lottery.

And no one would know up front so the wolves would howl that he is too senile to take this team to the WCF.

He can't, no one can. Best he can do is create some experience with the youngsters and get some excitement for arena fans when we have a good nite and win. After all, it's not about stats or standings. It's an entertainment experience each game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Tear it down? We're about to trade Lonnie for another veteran who can watch from the bench"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zeus is one of the most sensitive s on this board. He's softer than charmin. Never met such a wuss in my life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need, it's falling on its own. It won't be an official rebuild, but the outcome will be the same. That way moral victory is assured - we are better than them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Tear it down? We're about to trade Lonnie for another veteran who can watch from the bench"
    "He doesn't know the Spurs system yet, give him time"

Thread Information