Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We made the playoffs, got a favorable matchup, saw the warriors at a weak point, had a good record against nephew, appeared to uncover a new talent, made a strong late season push, had two prior first round picks coming back, but you think last year should have been blown up? WTF it's with your hurry? You don't have to moneyball the whole ass team, let them blow a season and bottom out naturally!

I agree with that; you can always blow it up. That part is easy. Building a playoff team even is hard - look at the majority of teams that blew it up; still aren’t playoff teams.

Now, SA is a better organization than most and draft better which is the key in blowing it up, but still..

However, with what you said, they absolutely sh*t the bed in truly reshaping this roster to maximize the chances to compete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's your point? Okay he was there when decisions were possibly made. How would you ever know the degree of someone's involvement in those decisions? I don't think Brian's promotion is the cause of what we are seeing.
    I didn’t say it was the cause; I asked if based on what we’ve seen, knowing he’s played a role in this recent shaping of the team, is there reason to believe he is the right man for the job for a franchise at the fork in the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no point in evaluating someone based on basically no information.

If there was no Pop & R. C. behind him then we could say he did a ty job.

But i really doubt he would've gone that way had he operated alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no point in evaluating someone based on basically no information.

If there was no Pop & R. C. behind him then we could say he did a ty job.

But i really doubt he would've gone that way had he operated alone.
    I think there is a great interest in looking at the new GM with where the franchise is. It’s one of the biggest stories this off season and will be crucial moving forward.

Agree it’s not as much about evaluating his results right now; it’s more about the how/why he was hired and what about him might give people confidence he was the right hire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there is a great interest in looking at the new GM with where the franchise is. It’s one of the biggest stories this off season and will be crucial moving forward.

Agree it’s not as much about evaluating his results right now; it’s more about the how/why he was hired and what about him might give people confidence he was the right hire.

What gives you confidence he was the right hire dpg?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What gives you confidence he was the right hire dpg?
    I am on the opposite end right now of that. I think he played a solid role in the DeRozan trade which is a strike against him in my book. I don’t think he came up with the idea, but I think he had his fingerprints all over that and helped sell the idea.

I think the franchise needs a steady hand and someone who excels in team building and with what little we’ve seen the past two years I’m not sold he understands that aspect that well. His previous teams he worked on aren’t very good in that department either. I also think it needs to be someone with enough juice to convince Pop of what is best for the franchise and not sure about that with him. Who knows, maybe Pop is truly gone and doesn’t last his 3 years since it will be a rebuild and he will get to do what he wants without the approval of Pop?

I believe he’s showed a little bit of creativity with the Carroll/Morris signings in terms of how they came about which is good; but I think he might be more a relationship guy vs a truly shrewd and steadying force which is what SA will need as they embark on what appears to be an obvious rebuild.

So while I won’t say I disagree with the hire, I will say it’s a curious one with how critical this juncture is and I am looking for reasons to be optimistic. He has a big, big test coming up this trade deadline IMO.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RC and especially Pop are running the team lol, not Brian Wright. That poor black man was just given a le so he could be the face to blame in the Post-Kawhi era.

So fitting of Pop to do that. He already got credit for all of Kawhi and Duncan’s success....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they stumbled on Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Leonard. That's some pretty impressive stumbling.
    You're seriously going to give them credit for Duncan? He was only considered one of the greatest prospects of all-time.

Parker, fair enough; but it's well known how big a part Presti played in the decision.

Ginobili, they admittedly knew little about and took a flier on, in large part because Buford just so happened to be in the same restaurant as the Argentina national team after some tournament and liked their camaraderie.

S bag was supposedly their third target behind Valanciunas and Thompson and Budenholzer allegedly played a significant role, as they were emotional about trading a role player who'd been here for 5 minutes.

Don't kid yourself, front office results in professional sports are largely based on luck.

RC and especially Pop are running the team lol, not Brian Wright. That poor black man was just given a le so he could be the face to blame in the Post-Kawhi era.

So fitting of Pop to do that. He already got credit for all of Kawhi and Duncan’s success....
    Wright is mixed . . . the Spurs would never go black with these senile plantation owners controlling or influencing things. They're terrified of cliché, inner city black culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're seriously going to give them credit for Duncan? He was only considered one of the greatest prospects of all-time.

Parker, fair enough; but it's well known how big a part Presti played in the decision.

Ginobili, they admittedly knew little about and took a flier on, in large part because Buford just so happened to be in the same restaurant as the Argentina national team after some tournament and liked their camaraderie.

S bag was supposedly their third target behind Valanciunas and Thompson and Budenholzer allegedly played a significant role, as they were emotional about trading a role player who'd been here for 5 minutes.

Don't kid yourself, front office results in professional sports are largely based on luck.

Wright is mixed . . . the Spurs would never go black with these senile plantation owners controlling or influencing things. They're terrified of cliché, inner city black culture.
    Leonard is a prefect example of PATFO's competence and ability to scout and develop talent. Cory Joseph and SLOMO were obviously to a lesser extent players found in the bottom of 1st round that at the very least were rotation players here with the Spurs and who both went on to sign 2nd contracts with other teams. Please explain to me how PATFO has a world renown reputation, yet a legend in their own mind on ST, thinks they're overrated and incompetent?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ah, yes, just like the youngest Euroleague MVP was the obvious candidate for #1 pick... Wait, you're saying that didn't happen? *Multiple* franchises skipped on him? But it was so obvious!

Leonard is a prefect example of PATFO's competence and ability to scout and develop talent. Cory Joseph and SLOMO were obviously to a lesser extent players found in the bottom of 1st round that at the very least were rotation players here with the Spurs and who both went on to sign 2nd contracts with other teams. Please explain to me how PATFO has a world renown reputation, yet a legend in their own mind on ST, thinks they're overrated and incompetent?
    Some posters really believe it's all too easy finding rotation players and stars out of mid and lat round picks. The one thing that cannot rightly be criticized about the Spurs throughout their tenure is their eye for talent on the draft; as much of a crapshoot as it is, if you're consistently getting good results that keep the team afloat for decades, you're probably doing something right.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Tougher? I see Cavs kings Suns and Rox on the horizon yall could win all easily except Rox but yall could lose them all too... My guess is yall will split especially with a few home games on the ledger
    Yall already won the toughest game of that stretch...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who was arguing their scouting/developing? I said they stumbled into greatness, just like any franchise in sports who's had the privilege of possessing it. It's not a knock, it's a reality.

Ah, yes, just like the youngest Euroleague MVP was the obvious candidate for #1 pick... Wait, you're saying that didn't happen? *Multiple* franchises skipped on him? But it was so obvious!

Some posters really believe it's all too easy finding rotation players and stars out of mid and lat round picks. The one thing that cannot rightly be criticized about the Spurs throughout their tenure is their eye for talent on the draft; as much of a crapshoot as it is, if you're consistently getting good results that keep the team afloat for decades, you're probably doing something right.

Doncic wasn't quite the same caliber of prospect as Duncan, mostly because of concerns about his athleticism. Still, it was obvious at the time he should have went 1st, but stereotypes still persist and the reality is, a lot of people couldn't wrap their heads around a white player playing the role he is at the level he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who was arguing their scouting/developing? I said they stumbled into greatness, just like any franchise in sports who's had the privilege of possessing it. It's not a knock, it's a reality.
    LOL, how in the do you stumble into greatness? Great players does not equate to championships. You need great coaches as well. Why did you think Lebron left Cleveland?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, how in the do you stumble into greatness? Great players does not equate to championships. You need great coaches as well. Why did you think Lebron left Cleveland?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Wright trades DeRozan before/around the trade deadline, I’ll be the first to sing his praises. For me, it would show his forward thinking. That he has a plan outside of just “making the playoffs” with a squad that has a clear first-round exit ceiling.

Right now the ceiling for the team is Charlotte Hornets of the West, especially with DeRozan at the helm. If Wright can get a decent return for DeRozan that would push the Spurs back towards championship contention in the next 3-4 seasons, then I’d have no complaints.

If Wright goes the conservative route and keeps DeRozan, thinking it’s the only way forward, despite all the evidence that he offers little aside from the points he makes per game, then this team will probably never get off this treadmill of mediocrity, in my opinion.

So I guess that’s what I’ll be looking for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, while that is true, when you have a team that is trying to win now, you can’t just settle. Results business and Carroll not only isn’t very good, but he’s not even in the rotation on a bad team. That’s a big fat fail at this point.
    It is. But let's put that blame, at least a good chunk of it, on Marcus Morris reneging.

It's an interesting thought experiment to not only remember what PATFO planned this team to be had neph not gone uncle on us. And even if we go with the reality of his departure, PATFO had every intention of having a rather dominant PF with range to go along with LMA, and Demar and our youth.

That by default would have made our starting 5 pretty formidable and made the bench even better.

But, any criticism of PATFO cannot ever forget that were it up to them and the decisions they made, this team would have had a starting 5 of roughly LMA, Gay, Neph, White, and Murray. Sub out White for Forbes or Patty maybe and maybe White for Murray, and we have a relatively nasty starting 5 -- especially defensively.

*That* was PATFO's plan. When uncle ficked up everything it has set back the plan and rotations while they scramble to figure out the path forward.

LWIV may have helped clarify that path a bit last night. Now let's see what Keldon and Luka can start giving us, really starting the year after next when Patty and LMA and Demar are off the books. If we have a young core by the Summer of 2021, perhaps we can attract some new free agents to come on down. Isn't Giannis a free agent that year? He seems like someone that might be willing to play for a winner in a smaller market, feasibly.

Thread Information