Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we dont play our young guys not treat them with respect like other teams do...instead we either dont play them, or psychologically damage them to where they are neutered and passive...so we have no way of telling whether they are good...that rookie from the wizards is killing it...we all KNOW if he was drafted by us, he would be in the g league...for all we know Luka may have been a ROY contender...but we will never know

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I maybe a homer but I think there is hope for White and Murray. If the Spurs were top flight defense unit I think both would play better and the team would better compete.
    As currently constructed Spurs are not a contender though since the highest paid players seem not to be able to lead/ win at the crucial moments.
    If the PGs keep playing as they have been Spurs will get a good pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Related, and what I wonder is why some posters were lamenting RC not being involved in the draft anymore, when he's been hit and miss at best, most miss than hits overall?

In the past 10 years they've drafted:
    Quinndary Weatherspoon
    Keldon Johnson
    Luka Šamanić
    Lonnie Walker
    Chimezie Metu
    Derrick White
    Jaron Blossomgame
    Dejounte Murray
    Nikola Milutinov
    Cady Lalanne
    Kyle Anderson
    Jordan McRae
    Livio Jean-Charles
    Deshaun Thomas
    Marcus Denmon
    Cory Joseph
    Adam Hanga
    James Anderson
    Ryan Richards
    DeJuan Blair
    Jack McClinton
    Nando de Colo

Does that list show any kind of direction? I get that while they didn't draft Kawhi directly, they definitely had their sights set on him, and I won't take that away from them.

But I don't know what to make of that list. There's some players there they've yet to see an NBA floor. Completely wasted picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But I don't know what to make of that list.
    Considering where the Spurs were drafting, that's an A+ haul, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it? On paper, all the foreigners are good, but it never stopped being on paper (Nando notwithstanding, who quit anyways).

Of the local crowd, Cory Joseph is pretty much the only guy that looks like will have a decent NBA career so far. Some really bad experiments in Kyle Anderson and DeJuan.

White and Murray look like they might follow in Cory's footsteps, but still early at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some really bad experiments in Kyle Anderson and DeJuan.

For where they were picked, those were both excellent selections. Not even debatable, tbh.

White and Murray look like they might follow in Cory's footsteps, but still early at this point.
    White is already better than CJ and unless Murray flops, he'll be better too.

The only complete bust of a first round pick was LJC and his knee exploded a couple months after the Spurs drafted him. James Anderson looked like a really good pick until he broke his foot in a manner that usually derails careers.

Bertans and, most importantly, Nephew should be on your list, too.

The front office has drafted two Hall of Famers outside of the lottery (three if you think Manu will make it) and their hit rate elsewhere is way above league average.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    every other team we go up against this season seems to have better young talent ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    every other team we go up against this season seems to have better young talent ...
    That's what happens when you've been out of the lottery for 22 years ...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be a great prospect you must show up with consistency. Even when they play great, they are not better or more impactful than a player like Tim Hardaway Jr. Spurs players don't look hungrier enough. Sometimes they lack poise, most of the time they let opponents dictate their energy in the game. Only LW4 and White Show some life. LW4 have the capacity to change a game but Pop doesn't seem to aknowledge when it happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For where they were picked, those were both excellent selections. Not even debatable, tbh.
    They were awful. At least DeJuan was more expendable since Tim and Manu were still around, you could put some makeup on it, but he hasn't even been in the league for a long while.

Kyle Anderson was a terrible 4(!) year experiment. He was so horrible, the Spurs let him walk for nothing. You could've easily burned his minutes with a D-Leaguer for a fraction of the cost.

White is already better than CJ and unless Murray flops, he'll be better too.

The only complete bust of a first round pick was LJC and his knee exploded a couple months after the Spurs drafted him. James Anderson looked like a really good pick until he broke his foot in a manner that usually derails careers.

Bertans and, most importantly, Nephew should be on your list, too.

The front office has drafted two Hall of Famers outside of the lottery (three if you think Manu will make it) and their hit rate elsewhere is way above league average.
    I acknowledged nephew because we knew they were looking for him. Bertans came as part of the trade filler to make it work, I'm not under the impression they were after him. Could be wrong.

And please, I get that they drafted Duncan and luckied out with Manu, but how long are they going to ride what happened 20 years ago?

I was pretty generous in including a 10 season list, where you can fish out maybe 1 or 2 names.

I mean, I get that some people will say fans were excited when DeJuan or Kyle were drafted, but it's silly not to look back now on those picks and others in that list. Evaluation doesn't just happen the night you pick, it's ongoing. That happens with fans and media from every team. The dude DPG said it best, the evaluation with these guys is constant. That's part of their job description.

I also understand that the team's success in a good number of those years meant the Spurs were limited in the quality of talent they could pick. That's fair, but let's also stop pretending they did this bang up job.

If you still feel the need to bring up the Ginobili pick in the 2nd round from 20 years ago, then you're basically largely agreeing with me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compare it with other teams drafting that late and then come back with a success rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it, though? I don't see anyone saying the Spurs are championship contenders once they allow Murray, White and the other youngsters to develop. Some think playing them more would make the team better (but not suddenly transform into a contender or anything) but mostly people just want to see them play because it's more fun than watching Marco lose.

I think everyone is agreement that this team's next franchise player isn't on the team yet.
    pretty much that, although I believe Walker might be this guy, and that White and especially Murray in another situation (not having to feed iso low iq players, other good defenders in your side, etc) look much better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so the overall system works ... the Spurs were able to survive it due to the big three but now the ship is sinking

lets just hope Lonny gets more minutes and then I will still enjoy watching DJ, Derrick und Lonnie grow as players ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah... Their young talent include ppl that have been drafted in later or similar spots and spurs picks... We just don't play ours and they do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we were another team, we would be laughing and saying they were being exposed... And that all of their success came as a result of Tim Duncan (a nice Brainer pick), and luckily out on Manu and Tony...

On top of that, the mindset of Pop back then was different from what it is now... If Manu was drafted by Pop now, he would be in the G league... So would Tony, especially since he couldn't shoot

As for the Topic... Sadly, it's the vets that are overrated... I genuinely feel that the team would be better by timely subtracting them...

Murray/white
    Lonnie
    Gay/ Carroll/Luka
    Metu/Luka (we are seriously sleeping on him... Dude can be the next Siakam... He can shoot and he is mobile enough to Guard wings, while athletic enough to block at the rim)
    Poodle

I genuinely feel like not only would that team love to play together, but they would win more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we were another team, we would be laughing and saying they were being exposed
    this is something that is always talked about Kerr and his les (and in my opinion, rightly), so you are probably correct about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ People thinking Walker can't be Donovan Mitc . Let him play a full season with consistent minutes and he'll be better than DeRozan by the time he's 21

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow Nono turning this into a Kyle Anderson thread is some serious PTSD. The Spurs got value out of him and he was ver cheap (basically current league minimum or less) his entire 4 years. If anything paying Pau a ton of money to not play for a couple of years is something to really be traumatized about tbh. There’s many picks in there that will never play in the NBA.

But if one were to really be traumatized by poor picks, one should hope the tank goes ahead and they get better draft position bc that’s the higher probability to get guys with higher ceilings.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sad but true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Related, and what I wonder is why some posters were lamenting RC not being involved in the draft anymore, when he's been hit and miss at best, most miss than hits overall?

In the past 10 years they've drafted:
    Quinndary Weatherspoon
    Keldon Johnson
    Luka Šamanić
    Lonnie Walker
    Chimezie Metu
    Derrick White
    Jaron Blossomgame
    Dejounte Murray
    Nikola Milutinov
    Cady Lalanne
    Kyle Anderson
    Jordan McRae
    Livio Jean-Charles
    Deshaun Thomas
    Marcus Denmon
    Cory Joseph
    Adam Hanga
    James Anderson
    Ryan Richards
    DeJuan Blair
    Jack McClinton
    Nando de Colo

Does that list show any kind of direction? I get that while they didn't draft Kawhi directly, they definitely had their sights set on him, and I won't take that away from them.

But I don't know what to make of that list. There's some players there they've yet to see an NBA floor. Completely wasted picks.
    Thanks for doing this. Our draft selections have been . AND there were plenty of good players available at the time selections that we could’ve had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were good players available that went on to have decent careers at each of these picks. Not great players but serviceable guys that could’ve contributed.

For example, this year the spurs could’ve picked Matisse, Clarke, G. Williams, Windler, Little, Ty Jerome, Porter Jr., Edwards, Fernando, Kyle Guy all of these guys will have better careers than Luka....some by a wide margin. There are examples like this every year. This isn’t revisionist history either...the better player was evident pre-draft. Spurs have made some bad draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic will go down as a wasted pick. Book it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I’m the only one who still believes that Murray will be a star. Also, not sure how our young guys are overrated since all were chosen outside the lottery. Nevertheless, do we currently have franchise player, it remains to be seen. Very few on this forum thought Kawhi would be a superstar even when he showed glimpses of that potential. I see some similarity in Murray & Walker as far as those spurts of greatness. We need patience and for organization to play the young guys more since we are not chasing championships right now. In the long run, it will make us better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty clear that Murray is a hard worker but limited bball IQ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never thought Murray would be a star player and I’ve stated as such many times on this site. I do think he can and will turn out to be a solid NBA starter barring injuries. I also was one of the people who said that White was the better point guard and overall player at this time before the season started.

I think people are sleeping on Lonnie Walker though. I truly believe he can be a very good NBA player and barring injuries and being given an opportunity he could maybe become a star. Hopefully Pop and the coaching staff starts believing in the guy and giving him playing time.

Thread Information