Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were good players available that went on to have decent careers at each of these picks. Not great players but serviceable guys that could’ve contributed.

For example, this year the spurs could’ve picked Matisse, Clarke, G. Williams, Windler, Little, Ty Jerome, Porter Jr., Edwards, Fernando, Kyle Guy all of these guys will have better careers than Luka....some by a wide margin. There are examples like this every year. This isn’t revisionist history either...the better player was evident pre-draft. Spurs have made some bad draft picks.
    Nah, just plain bull . How can you seriously attempt to judge whether draft prospects will have better careers than other having seen less than a quarter of their rookie seasons? Any one of them, all of them even, could have career ending injuries, fail to develop, peak as rookies, etc. yet you already paint the narrative that they'll have better careers than Luka just because we sent him to develop in the G-League? Lackluster speculation tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, just plain bull . How can you seriously attempt to judge whether draft prospects will have better careers than other having seen less than a quarter of their rookie seasons? Any one of them, all of them even, could have career ending injuries, fail to develop, peak as rookies, etc. yet you already paint the narrative that they'll have better careers than Luka just because we sent him to develop in the G-League? Lackluster speculation tbh
    he is right.. how can luka have a better career if he doesnt play? Pop would have sent lukaa of the mavs to the g league, and we would be on here wondering if he was another eurotrash pick...no way pop would have handed him the kays and allowed him to play his game through all the ups and downs as a rookie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can one have a discussion with someone who thinks like that.

He pretty much excluded himself from serious talk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theres players chosen after luka and walker...some in the 2nd round that are playing and contributing on teams that are better than us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are some decent role players in our young guns, but no stars. In fact, none of our young players possess nearly the talent of LMA or DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theres players chosen after luka and walker...some in the 2nd round that are playing and contributing on teams that are better than us
    Luka and especially Keldon would have minutes since day 1 in any other franchise.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of Murray, Samanic, Walker, and Johnson could develop into perennial All Stars. White will be a career top 8 rotation player. The Spurs should move off vets and stock up on assets, but their current crop of young players is better than 50% of the league. Maybe 75%. Roster pessimism is misplaced.

Having said that, the best outcome for this season would be to position the franchise for a chance at a top 3 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like Excessive Optimist.

KJ perennial all-star...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with OP 100%. Derrick White shows flashes of being really good but then disappears just like in last year's playoffs. Once Denver figured him out, he was done. After 3 years, its clear that's who he is. Bryn Forbes is a good shooter but his defense is so bad he shouldn't stay on the floor. He definitely doesn't belong in the starting lineup. DM being a PG or effective player was a pipe dream from the outset. He's proven to be a terrific rebounder for his position but that's it. He can't shoot, can't run a team and relies way too much on his physical attributes to play. In other words, he's low IQ when it comes to the game. But hey, look on the bright side, most delusional folks in this forum think his bloated contract was a sneaky win. Metu? Nah. He's mobile with decent hops but too undersized and can't shoot. It's too early to judge this year's rookies.

This team is awful and the veterans counted on for heavy production would be complimentary players elsewhere at best. They aren't leaders and aren't alphas. They take no accountability or ownership & just talk a good game. This team should be blown up and reconfigured. Going with a "youth" movement isn't the answer either. They need a blend of talent and experience to win. It will take a savvy GM to get that done & I don't see evidence of one in the Front Office.

Sheesh, I completely forgot about LW4. I guess forgetting to even mention him says all you need to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he is right.. how can luka have a better career if he doesnt play? Pop would have sent lukaa of the mavs to the g league, and we would be on here wondering if he was another eurotrash pick...no way pop would have handed him the kays and allowed him to play his game through all the ups and downs as a rookie
    I will never understand why so many people get their panties in a bunch over players spending their rookie season in the G-League. Do you think their careers will be over afterwards? Can they not play many, many more seasons in the NBA afterwards? IF the Spurs were a trash development organization, where every pick mysteriously ends up being a bust, you would have a point. But we are not the Suns - instead, Spurs development program is top of the league, systematically churning out players that play above the position they were drafted at (what other franchises develop starting PGs out of 29th picks...?), so such heavy criticism of their method is really unwarranted. Pop has been coaching like but it doesn't mean his system doesn't work, when time and time again we see it's results.

Also, if the Spurs drafted a player with obvious s om potential from day 1, he would skip the G-League - why is everyone beating this eead horse "Luka Doncic would play in the G-League under the Spurs" when it's plain false? Tim, Drob, Manu, Tony, Nephew never played in the G-League. There's just way too high of expectations for every pick this franchise makes... Really spoiled fans. Also, the Raptors current success is partially owed to their excellent development and G-League program, turning undrafted players into serviceable players - where's the excuse?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheesh, I completely forgot about LW4. I guess forgetting to even mention him says all you need to know.
    About taking you serious.

You're right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are all late first round picks, to get a fringe all star in the late first round is considered lucky.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree, most of spurs fans are so excited about murray like he would be doncic or trae but hes NOT and WONT ever be at least in 50% as good as one of them.
    loonie, samanic and keldon just an average g league players, nothing special.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are all late first round picks, to get a fringe all star in the late first round is considered lucky.
    That why spurs should have tanked after kawhis trade to get top picks. But there are still some guys here who think that top picks dont increase chances to get a youmg star... saad

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a fan of our Instagram Baller, he’s getting held back like Kawhi was his first 5 years here. Taking a step back for our middle aged career losers. His shot attempts have gone down and it’s obvious one of our two max players complained about not getting enough touches with him in the starting lineup.

He’d flourish on another team in a system from this century.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree, most of spurs fans are so excited about murray like he would be doncic or trae but hes NOT and WONT ever be at least in 50% as good as one of them.
    He was clamping Trae up the entire first half of their meeting. It wasn’t until craterface pulled Murray in the 2nd half so he doesn’t surpass 20 minutes, that Young started heating up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the main problem.

But it's way too early to make a call on Murray or White. Murray in particular because he won't be completely over his injury until next season, as studies have shown.

Pop came in with a flawed starting lineup and clearly has no back up plan. I think the young guys could have contributed to successful season if popovich had put them in the position to succeed. Instead, he expects every young guy to be willing to wait five years to develop. That's not realistic when you have no superstars to rely on.

The source of this whole mess is popovich's skewed perspective of DeRozan. He views DeMar like a superstar, when he's a role player (ideally a scorer off the bench) in today's NBA. This led to the stupid lineups and the disregard of the younger talented guys on the roster. Completely preventable screw ups all around

Nah, it isn't. Players generally show superstar or star potential early on. He'd played over 2000 minutes entering the season or about one season worth of solid minutes, only he'd had 2+ years of development and still he's below average - terrible at virtually every aspect of half court offense.

It really is. There's no obvious future star on the team where it makes sense to build around them. I can understand tanking, and I can understand (though don't really agree with) being aggressive and trying to get better talent that fits with DMDR and LMA. But I don't get turning those guys into guys like Gordon who haven't shown anything and hoping that the young guys explode. It just doesn't make sense. If that explosion happens, you can always pivot into a win-now mode. But I have negative interest in what Murray/White/Ross/Aminu/Poeltl lineups.
    Gordon is nothing special, but he's decent, still has some upside left and is a difficult, yet important archetype. It's not about the young guys "exploding", it's about putting them in the best possible position to succeed and getting a better idea of their upside.

Is it, though? I don't see anyone saying the Spurs are championship contenders once they allow Murray, White and the other youngsters to develop. Some think playing them more would make the team better (but not suddenly transform into a contender or anything) but mostly people just want to see them play because it's more fun than watching Marco lose.

I think everyone is agreement that this team's next franchise player isn't on the team yet.
    It is. I've never seen a young player with lesser pedigree, show less and receive such hype from the natinal media, as Murray and it was aided by the Spurs uncharacteristically talking him up, which naturally led to a segment of the fan base buying in.

Of course I want to see them play more and put into position to succeed; I've talked at length about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Related, and what I wonder is why some posters were lamenting RC not being involved in the draft anymore, when he's been hit and miss at best, most miss than hits overall?

In the past 10 years they've drafted:
    Quinndary Weatherspoon
    Keldon Johnson
    Luka Šamanić
    Lonnie Walker
    Chimezie Metu
    Derrick White
    Jaron Blossomgame
    Dejounte Murray
    Nikola Milutinov
    Cady Lalanne
    Kyle Anderson
    Jordan McRae
    Livio Jean-Charles
    Deshaun Thomas
    Marcus Denmon
    Cory Joseph
    Adam Hanga
    James Anderson
    Ryan Richards
    DeJuan Blair
    Jack McClinton
    Nando de Colo

Does that list show any kind of direction? I get that while they didn't draft Kawhi directly, they definitely had their sights set on him, and I won't take that away from them.

But I don't know what to make of that list. There's some players there they've yet to see an NBA floor. Completely wasted picks.

The one guy on that list who had potential and looked like he was going to be a really good player until he broke his foot was James Anderson. It's no surprise he was the highest pick on that list as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is. I've never seen a young player with lesser pedigree, show less and receive such hype from the natinal media, as Murray

Have you heard of the basketball team called the Lakers? All their young players get hyped to the heavens. Currently, Alex Caruso is being billed as the balding, Aggie version of Dennis Johnson. , Kyle Kuzma has been touted as a borderline superstar by some sections of the national media.

Dejounte Murray? Bill Simmons literally doesn't even know how to pronounce his name. About 99.9% of the national media couldn't pick him out of a lineup. What you smokin', cuz?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were awful. e.

Kyle Anderson was a terrible 4(!) year experiment. He was so horrible, the Spurs let him walk for nothing. the Grizzlies gave him $40 million.
    Fixed.

I acknowledged nephew because we knew they were looking for him.
    You should have put him in your list, tbh.

Bertans came as part of the trade filler to make it work, I'm not under the impression they were after him.
    The Spurs drafted him. He should have been on your list.

let's also stop pretending they did this bang up job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a fan of our Instagram Baller, he’s getting held back like Kawhi was his first 5 years here. Taking a step back for our middle aged career losers. His shot attempts have gone down and it’s obvious one of our two max players complained about not getting enough touches with him in the starting lineup.

He’d flourish on another team in a system from this century.
    All young pgs strive to find the balance of scoring and distributing/running the offense. Parker went thru the same thing.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The front office has drafted two Hall of Famers outside of the lottery (three if you think Manu will make it) and their hit rate elsewhere is way above league average.
    needled

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh come on! Obviously baring injury.

It’s easy. I can say they’ll be better because they were better players pre-draft and are better post-draft than Luka. Luka is in the g-league partly because pop is awful and partly because Luka just isn’t that good.

Some of you are making a huge false assumption and being naive. Just because the spurs draft a player doesn’t mean they are good or that “they have star potential if they are developed right”. Sometimes a player just isn’t an nba caliber player and the front office is blind (aka just bad at draft analysis) to that. Like Luka. 2yrs from now no one should be surprised about his “development”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ this thread. Giving up on players before they've really even had a shot.

Thread Information