Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know that they can. It's not about being "able to shoot threes". Spacing isn't just about having an okay 3P%. It's about the gravity distribution around the court, and right now, none of those three have the gravity from three to really force the defense out of the paint. White is too hesitant to shoot threes if there's any chance for a pass. Murray's wind-up is way too slow to force guys to play on him, and he too would rather dribble. Walker is the only one who might really be able to space the floor, but he'd have to show he can hit shots before anyone's gonna let him warp the D. It's more than that too. Even if White and Walker could space for Murray, Murray can't space for them, and both of them are better offensive players than him and should have the ball more. Murray has to figure out his shooting problem to be on the court. Otherwise, you're either playing four-on-five offensively or forcing him to be the main ball-handler, which isn't his strength.
    But White and Murray both played with Forbes/DeRozan. I’m not saying it’s ideal; I’m saying for this team? Yeah, if Forbes/DeRozan can start with one of them, they can all 3 play together especially factoring the defensive uptick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think 10 games of this season isn't worth crafting a two-way player? Seriously?

That shortsightedness is astounding, tbh.
    You didn’t answer my questions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno, TIMVP. You're the GOAT and a master motivator, and the only tool you have in your box is to glue him to the bench? I don't see anything he learned on the bench that he couldn't have learned on the floor in all those losses. Unless you're saying that he got really pissed off and came out angry. Pop isn't THAT CIA.
    It doesn’t make sense and IIRC even TIMVP was calling for Lonnie to be playing sooner so this is an odd reaction.

I’m not saying 10 games of tough love is not worth it; I’m saying HOW he handled the tough love put the team in a whole and he could have had both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn’t answer my questions.
    You didn't answer my initial question.

he could have had both.
    Like being better in 10 games in this season is even on the same scale as pushing Walker to reach his potential on both ends

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't answer my initial question.

Like being better in 10 games in this season is even on the same scale as pushing Walker to reach his potential on both ends
    What question? I missed it. I will answer yours, then please answer mine I asked.

Why are you acting like you couldn’t (and very likely) couldn’t do both? What evidence do you have that benching him this much vs 2 games had any impact?

Like am I torn up inside if Lonnie reaches his potential “because” of this? Of course not. Great. But don’t defend stupid a** coaching and conflate it with this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you acting like you couldn’t (and very likely) couldn’t do both? What evidence do you have that benching him this much vs 2 games had any impact?
    Your scale of importance is strange.

Forging Walker into a two-way player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 10 games of this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I sold my business for $100 million!" - anonymous

"But why didn't you sell it two weeks ago? They might have offered the same amount then." - DPG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I sold my business for $100 million!" - anonymous

"But why didn't you sell it two weeks ago? They might have offered the same amount then." - DPG
    You yourself said Lonnie should be playing WTF kind of mind melt is this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You yourself said you should sell the company two weeks ago
    Scale, my friend. Scale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scale, my friend. Scale.
    Got damn Yoda. Fine, I will forget about Pop’s a** of a season because Lonnie is DWade with a 3Ball. You win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the usual imbecilic suspects like El Nono, TD 21, tm whatever the his name is.
    I know you really want to hop into this train, even though you were talking about Pop's rotation just last week, but the (related) issue I brought up in this thread is how they drafted.

And let's be honest here, you'll be back to ing about Pop's rotations once this fluke win fades away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will never understand why so many people get their panties in a bunch over players spending their rookie season in the G-League. Do you think their careers will be over afterwards? Can they not play many, many more seasons in the NBA afterwards? IF the Spurs were a trash development organization, where every pick mysteriously ends up being a bust, you would have a point. But we are not the Suns - instead, Spurs development program is top of the league, systematically churning out players that play above the position they were drafted at (what other franchises develop starting PGs out of 29th picks...?), so such heavy criticism of their method is really unwarranted. Pop has been coaching like but it doesn't mean his system doesn't work, when time and time again we see it's results.

Also, if the Spurs drafted a player with obvious s om potential from day 1, he would skip the G-League - why is everyone beating this eead horse "Luka Doncic would play in the G-League under the Spurs" when it's plain false? Tim, Drob, Manu, Tony, Nephew never played in the G-League. There's just way too high of expectations for every pick this franchise makes... Really spoiled fans. Also, the Raptors current success is partially owed to their excellent development and G-League program, turning undrafted players into serviceable players - where's the excuse?
    Pop was different under the big 3...i shouldn't have had to explain that... That's what ppl have been saying all along

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair to OP, he did say Walker had potential but was glued to the bench. Pretty sure everyone was on the Walker hype train all season except Pop and the really hardcore sniffers. (See "Lonnie wasn't compe ive" thread).
    I think this thread is more about White and Murray at least that’s how I took it. In my comment earlier I mentioned I really couldnt say anything about their recent draftees who aren’t playing.

TBF to OP, he has expressed multiple times in different threads that Lonnie was the only one who looked the part of a star (as has Chinook at times) bc he has not just the athleticism but a good looking shot and natural scoring talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got damn Yoda. Fine, I will forget about Pop’s a** of a season because Lonnie is DWade with a 3Ball. You win.
    you capitulated too early.
    I do so hate how Pop gets credit for every improvement by one of his players when far as we know Lonnie has been ready for a while just lacked opportunities. It’s a massive problem for real stars not named Duncan/Manu/Tony. And frankly Manu was already a developed 25 year old rookie afík and Timmy D cake ready to play from day 1. The only thing we know is Lonnie made some mistakes in one game and got benched bc Pop probably had too many things/lineups on his plate to incorporate him... until they went on a humongous losing streak plus LMA got “injured”.

There’s not a change that’s going to happen in 2 weeks that wasn’t based on work put in the summer by the player. Recognizing the player is the first step to perhaps keeping these guys when they mature in SA. Let the player credit the coach if they want but one always should credit the player first for all the work they put into their games.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=timvp;9998987]Your scale of importance is strange.

Edit:

Never mind what I said. Explain the logic of playing him against Minny, and then not against the Clippers. How, exactly, did that help him become a 2-way player?

Maybe Pop should kick Forbes in the balls. Then if he starts playing D, Pop can take credit for it. Some players need to be benched - some need to be kicked in the balls.
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 12-04-2019 at 03:18 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your scale of importance is strange.

Forging Walker into a two-way player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 10 games of this season.
    Benching Walker a couple of times forged him into a 2-way player? Well, that's an optimistic take if there ever was one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you capitulated too early.
    I do so hate how Pop gets credit for every improvement by one of his players when far as we know Lonnie has been ready for a while just lacked opportunities. It’s a massive problem for real stars not named Duncan/Manu/Tony. And frankly Manu was already a developed 25 year old rookie afík and Timmy D cake ready to play from day 1. The only thing we know is Lonnie made some mistakes in one game and got benched bc Pop probably had too many things/lineups on his plate to incorporate him... until they went on a humongous losing streak plus LMA got “injured”.

There’s not a change that’s going to happen in 2 weeks that wasn’t based on work put in the summer by the player. Recognizing the player is the first step to perhaps keeping these guys when they mature in SA. Let the player credit the coach if they want but one always should credit the player first for all the work they put into their games.
    The reason is because the number of players who have done well with the Spurs out of no where is high. Then many of those players have left, and done horribly. Yet, the opposite isn't really true. Name me the players who have failed under Pop but gone on to succeed elsewhere? I can't think of one off the top of my head. Yet I can think of a lot who fill the other side of the coin.

None of us are behind the scenes and privy to why Pop is doing what he is doing. I generally think he's been atrocious this season, but I do think there is potential that he's pulling the right strings with the 3 young players. I don't know, but if Beli plays in place of LWIV next game then we should all riot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans seem to be taking lotto ball in stride.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ People thinking Walker can't be Donovan Mitc . Let him play a full season with consistent minutes and he'll be better than DeRozan by the time he's 21
    I told you idiots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only thing i know is this, IB got was never in the 4th quarter making the run, he was never in both ot ....pretty much sums it up about him as a spurs player, his gleague material man

lonnie and white is the real future, the future is now, unless popa still thinks these 2 aint over themselves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason is because the number of players who have done well with the Spurs out of no where is high. Then many of those players have left, and done horribly. Yet, the opposite isn't really true. Name me the players who have failed under Pop but gone on to succeed elsewhere? I can't think of one off the top of my head. Yet I can think of a lot who fill the other side of the coin.

None of us are behind the scenes and privy to why Pop is doing what he is doing. I generally think he's been atrocious this season, but I do think there is potential that he's pulling the right strings with the 3 young players. I don't know, but if Beli plays in place of LWIV next game then we should all riot.
    Bait ignored.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can easily be better than Mitc . His defense on Harden was so disciplined & just good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can easily be better than Mitc . His defense on Harden was so disciplined & just good.
    of course he can, I just used him as a comparison cause they similar players and Walker was often compared to him when he entered the draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's one of the dumbest posts I've read all year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh come on! Obviously baring injury.

It’s easy. I can say they’ll be better because they were better players pre-draft and are better post-draft than Luka. Luka is in the g-league partly because pop is awful and partly because Luka just isn’t that good.

Some of you are making a huge false assumption and being naive. Just because the spurs draft a player doesn’t mean they are good or that “they have star potential if they are developed right”. Sometimes a player just isn’t an nba caliber player and the front office is blind (aka just bad at draft analysis) to that. Like Luka. 2yrs from now no one should be surprised about his “development”.
    Filed under "trash takes". Let's again hear the complaints about rookies taking the time to develop in the G-League before coming into the NBA... Huh...? Silence?

People really questioning one of the greatest development franchises ever on how they develop their players. Lonnie, a G-League product, shut it up last night. If Luka can develop into anything similar to him, let him simmer down in the GL for two seasons for all I care, tbh...

Thread Information