Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least among the fan base and probably the organization.

Granted, none of it being put in the best position to succeed and the most intriguing of it is either stapled to the bench (Walker) or in the G-League (Samanic), but still.

It seems like damn near every team, especially in similar or worse position, has a more promising, young, offensive perimeter player(s). It's not just the obvious ones mostly picked high, it's even the likes of Graham and Kennard.

They can't even dream of getting on the right track again until they find someone an offense can be built around. If it's not Walker, it's not on the roster.

Hopefully, if the NBA does rig the draft, they reward the Spurs for being screwed by S bag and not tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem is there's no one in this draft worth a outside role players. Its either Walker or bust at this point.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Not true at all. Derrick White was one of the best 2-way players last season and Poopab*tch decided to neuter him this season because he's gregg poopab*tch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the top of this draft doesn't look overly promising at the moment, but it's obviously too early to draw any conclusions.

White doesn't have the confidence/mentality to be a star and he's probably not quite dynamic/skilled enough either. His ceiling is likely elite role player; the kind that can fit in any lineup, alongside any centerpiece . . . which would be nice, if this team had anything resembling the latter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all know that op is talking about Murray but he was not rated to begin with. A few of us thought he could become something but we haven't seen any improvement whatsoever. When you don't have a starting pg and a starting center and your stars are mediocre players this is the result. If the organization has unrealistic expectations as far as Murray's ceiling then we're in trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have talent that's utilized extremely poorly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all know that op is talking about Murray but he was not rated to begin with. A few of us thought he could become something but we haven't seen any improvement whatsoever. When you don't have a starting pg and a starting center and your stars are mediocre players this is the result. If the organization has unrealistic expectations as far as Murray's ceiling then we're in trouble.
    Nah. Half of this forum thought Murray was already good enough to take this team to the next level.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. Half of this forum thought Murray was already good enough to take this team to the next level.
    Ok half but the other half never rated him. The biggest concern is my last sentence from the previous post. It doesn't matter how we rated him and what the fans expectations are but the organization better not make a false assessment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I never was high on him. Even less so when the Spurs traded for DD.

Should've taken Brogdon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I never was high on him. Even less so when the Spurs traded for DD.

Should've taken Brogdon.
    Same. Never got the hype of him being a star player. His ceiling to me was great defensive player, but his offense left a lot to be desired. Always thought White was better and more of a fit for today’s NBA. And like OP has said, I think white’s ceiling is elite role player also so I’m not even gonna call him star like the die hard Murray fans have already done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta hope Luka Samanic is the real deal, but knowing Pop he’s gonna be benched again next year. He would have to show star potential like Nephew to get regular minutes. Also this is why making the playoffs another year is just a waste of time. Even if this draft class sucks, Spurs need a high lottery pick. There’s always the possibility of trading away one of Walker, Murray, White if the team can draft a guard who fits the team better or flipping that lottery pick for a proven, star potential player in the league. It’s better to gamble on than hoping they can mold another non lottery pick into something but who won’t see time in their first year anyway.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Granted, none of it being put in the best position to succeed and the most intriguing of it is either stapled to the bench (Walker) or in the G-League (Samanic), but still.
    This is the main problem.

But it's way too early to make a call on Murray or White. Murray in particular because he won't be completely over his injury until next season, as studies have shown.

Pop came in with a flawed starting lineup and clearly has no back up plan. I think the young guys could have contributed to successful season if popovich had put them in the position to succeed. Instead, he expects every young guy to be willing to wait five years to develop. That's not realistic when you have no superstars to rely on.

The source of this whole mess is popovich's skewed perspective of DeRozan. He views DeMar like a superstar, when he's a role player (ideally a scorer off the bench) in today's NBA. This led to the stupid lineups and the disregard of the younger talented guys on the roster. Completely preventable screw ups all around

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no back up plan with the roster we have. What back up plan. Forbes is playing because we need someone that has a history of being at least average shooting the bball. We have no shooters and the ones we have are either washed up(Belli) or Patty who's not a sg. This roster is full of wholes. Uncle send us back to the stone age and we need a few years to recover imo. As for the youth, there is no talented young player as of yet, i'm talking starting material. Put me in the non believers camp as far as Lonnie Walker is concerned and i hope he proves me wrong with the Spurs or wherever he may go next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the main problem.

But it's way too early to make a call on Murray or White. Murray in particular because he won't be completely over his injury until next season, as studies have shown.

Pop came in with a flawed starting lineup and clearly has no back up plan. I think the young guys could have contributed to successful season if popovich had put them in the position to succeed. Instead, he expects every young guy to be willing to wait five years to develop. That's not realistic when you have no superstars to rely on.

The source of this whole mess is popovich's skewed perspective of DeRozan. He views DeMar like a superstar, when he's a role player (ideally a scorer off the bench) in today's NBA. This led to the stupid lineups and the disregard of the younger talented guys on the roster. Completely preventable screw ups all around

Yea its different to bring youth around slowly when your'e winning and have duncan or kawhi to build around .this team also lacks shooters and therefore pop continues to ride patty,bryn and beli even to the teams detriment

we also have put alot of pressure on white and murray, two basically 2nd rnd picks to carry this team into the future
    Last edited by slick'81; 12-02-2019 at 06:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think rating either White or Dejounte, both of which are not being put in a position to succeed or have a roster built to their strengths, not to mention playing injured/recovering from injury (White should be getting sat for his plantar fasciitis, which IMO will blow up in Pop's face sooner than later), solely by their play so far this season is narrow-sighted. I wouldn't rate them as having superstar potential, but that doesn't mean they can't have an offense built around them; Murray especially I think would excel in a younger, faster system that cuts the ISO play in favor of ball movement and transition offense. They are just being paired with the 2 stars in the NBA with the heaviest and most outdated ISO playing style, which makes the entire offense non-fluid, not to mention the trash defense.

That said, the Spurs will probably be spending at least 2 seasons at the lottery once the inevitable downfall comes, so that should be a great opportunity by one of the most successful drafting franchises to grab their star talent. I think shedding DeMar and LMA in favor of a star C or SF, then starting something like White-DJ-Lonnie-Luka-LotteryC would yield a much, much better team than this year's, even if there's the obvious growing pains. The Spurs just have to commit to the future and stop trying to resist the tank like a flopping fish that's been taken out of the water resisting certain death.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really is. There's no obvious future star on the team where it makes sense to build around them. I can understand tanking, and I can understand (though don't really agree with) being aggressive and trying to get better talent that fits with DMDR and LMA. But I don't get turning those guys into guys like Gordon who haven't shown anything and hoping that the young guys explode. It just doesn't make sense. If that explosion happens, you can always pivot into a win-now mode. But I have negative interest in what Murray/White/Ross/Aminu/Poeltl lineups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray = a rich man's Shaun Livingston.
    This kid's got journeyman skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray started to press as if he was trying to live up to his press clippings. When he just plays and stops trying to star he is good. The truth is the youth is not good enough right now. The question is it their fault or Pops fault. One thing for sure Pop has totally ditched the idea of putting players in a position where they can succeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs coach is overrated too. Spurs system is overrated as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were supposedly so high on lwIV they considered trading up for him.Wtf happend between now and then that pop refuses to unleash the pogo stick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs played top flight defense they could afford young PGs growing pains. Maybe.
    White and Murray both hopefully can step it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it, though? I don't see anyone saying the Spurs are championship contenders once they allow Murray, White and the other youngsters to develop. Some think playing them more would make the team better (but not suddenly transform into a contender or anything) but mostly people just want to see them play because it's more fun than watching Marco lose.

I think everyone is agreement that this team's next franchise player isn't on the team yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    murray on another team will just be another scrub

that all defensive team selection he got was nothing more then a consolation prize the nba gifted the spurms for losing kawhi...

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By some Spurstalkers, yes.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the things that make it easy to overvalue some of them is to imagine them involved in a trade package. It’s not that Murray or White are more valuable than a star or more needed player when thinking of a trade as much as it is imagining the roster with that player AND White or Murray. If a star trade came along, you’ve got offer one of them, but it’s hard for some of us as fans because we so badly want to see (insert star) play WITH the young guys as opposed to instead of them. My two cents. Don’t get me wrong,

I don’t believe any of our guys are superstar potential. White can improve to consistent starter on any team. Murray’s ceiling is probably about the same, maybe elite role player more towards his floor. Unsure what Lonnie can do, but I could see him being a borderline all star if he can ever get experience. I think we make a mistake when we assume each promising young guy is gonna be a perennial all star or would refuse a hypothetical trade because we have this imaginary status for one of the young guys.

Thread Information