Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/gregg-popo...-home-stretch/

The gist: could be his final season, Hammon and Duncan are the likely candidates to replace him, and what would change once Pop is no longer the coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    akot of questions and zero answers in that article tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best case scenario is Ime Udoka returning from Philly with Becky Hammon as the associate head coach. Not feeling Tim Duncan as a coach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/gregg-popo...-home-stretch/

The gist: could be his final season, Hammon and Duncan are the likely candidates to replace him, and what would change once Pop is no longer the coach.
    The team will likely suck next year, esp if Pop leaves. Not sure Duncan or Hammon want to head up losing teams that eventually get you fired. Tim is a legend, but that doesn’t always translate in coaching. Hard to know if he’s good enough to coach at the highest level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team will likely suck next year, esp if Pop leaves. Not sure Duncan or Hammon want to head up losing teams that eventually get you fired. Tim is a legend, but that doesn’t always translate in coaching. Hard to know if he’s good enough to coach at the highest level.
    I'm sure there would be an understanding that next season won't be held against them, it would strictly be about development.

Could see Pop's successor getting a long term deal with the goal being stability, allowing for the next coach to stick around and build up the next good Spurs team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Popovich could still be a part of the front office after he retires, as he’s currently the president of Spurs basketball. If he keeps that role, it would allow him to focus on team building. Other legendary coaches, such as Phil Jackson and Pat Riley, moved into front office roles following their coaching careers."

Phil Jackson GM New York: Disaster.
    Pat Riley Heat: Huge success.

CIA Pops recent and current lineups and strategies would dictate he take some serious time off from any "team building". Leave that to people with common sense strategy to the modern NBA game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The faster we get to #beckywiththegoodplays the better tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say let Avery Johnson coach the team so he can yell at them as much as we do our TV sets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing we don't already know. Also, we could have written a much better article; we would be much better sports journalists. -- spurstalk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that our old assistants are a buncha losers (Brown, PJ, Avery) and the new ones that are actually good are on other teams (Bud and Brett). I think Tony Parker would be in the running tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is also too old for the front office. It’s just time for him to go altogether, and for the organization to move on from him. He earned the right not to be fired, but he should move on on his own. He’s got nothing left.

I guess I could understand giving him FO job in name only, but not having the any say in the final decisions made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Popovich could still be a part of the front office after he retires, as he’s currently the president of Spurs basketball. If he keeps that role, it would allow him to focus on team building. Other legendary coaches, such as Phil Jackson and Pat Riley, moved into front office roles following their coaching careers."

CIA Pops recent and current lineups and strategies would dictate he take some serious time off from any "team building". Leave that to people with common sense strategy to the modern NBA game.
    no. Do you really want Popovich giving out contracts to guys like Gasol or Bellineli?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who is going to take the keys away from Grandpa?

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282004

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's have mouse write this article instead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say Pop already stopped coaching and is just showing up after a glass of dinner wine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s probably the boomer in me and a penchant for nostalgia but Tim Duncan taking the reigns is a great option. Larry Bird retired I believe in 1992 and took over the Pacers for a three year run in 1998, ending with a finals run.

Like Bird, Duncan is unassailable. I don’t think any bad will comes his way from the Spurs fan base. That can factor in his comfort level to take the position. The le picture is set for about three years anyway with the LA teams stocking up. Tim can take us through the development phase and then a potential run when James, Leonard and co are past their primes.

A coach Duncan also has some serious drawing power for FAs. Did I mention lead assistant Manu Ginobili.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Great. He'll continue to hold this team back even after he's done holding his young players back as head coach. Phil Jackson 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great. He'll continue to hold this team back even after he's done holding his young players back as head coach. Phil Jackson 2.0
    out scouting coffee shops and wine bars for his next Leader.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is also too old for the front office. It’s just time for him to go altogether, and for the organization to move on from him. He earned the right not to be fired, but he should move on on his own. He’s got nothing left.

I guess I could understand giving him FO job in name only, but not having the any say in the final decisions made.
    Kinda surprised that people clamored onto the part of the article tbh.

Never said he'd be GM'ing, or anything, though he'd probably be asked for some input however.

If the Spurs are really heading towards a rebuild, that means that drafting will play a bigger role in the equation. The Spurs have continued to draft well and I don't necessarily expect that to change when he retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda surprised that people clamored onto the part of the article tbh.

Never said he'd be GM'ing, or anything, though he'd probably be asked for some input however.

If the Spurs are really heading towards a rebuild, that means that drafting will play a bigger role in the equation. The Spurs have continued to draft well and I don't necessarily expect that to change when he retires.
    Sorry, I wasn’t responding directly to the article. I didn’t even read it. I’m just saying I don’t want him in the FO because we all know how much influence the guy has. The team just needs to move on.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw him coaching the US Team when they played in Australia and then onto the FIBA World Cup and it was pretty obvious to me that his communication with the players was challenged to say the least and that he could not transfer his BB idea / game plans for execution across to the court. Everyone looked so confused with his over coaching / micro - management. It was embarrassing to observe. This is no personal criticism but rather a reflection on the fact that the times have moved on an it requires a different coaching profile these day to guide millennials. This is why I think he gravitates towards older players. It is also obvious to me that he brought TD to the fold to operate as a foil with a team that is not responding to him. He always "joked" about him becoming obsolete when Tim Duncan retired and that it would have been the end of the journey for him. As we know, his jokes of late and the latter in particular have transition from somewhat funny to ironically premonitory to a sad reflection of the character at present state.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't have promising talent on this roster.. WTF.. who wrote this? Also mentioned Dejounte in that sentence... bro, someone drinks way too much kool aid around here... no balls.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say let Avery Johnson coach the team so he can yell at them as much as we do our TV sets.
    Avery Johnson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't have promising talent on this roster.. WTF.. who wrote this? Also mentioned Dejounte in that sentence... bro, someone drinks way too much kool aid around here... no balls.

I think op wrote it tbh,go easy on him bro

Thread Information