Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But back in the day, there wasn’t a 24/7 social media cycle where a clip of someone talking about a certain player not having rings got retweeted 50k times, and then memes are made out of it. Back in the day, if you missed the tv or radio show, you missed the comment and that was that.

Nowadays, a homie from the hood can have a talking take about player X on social media and every will know about it. nowadays they can talk directly to the player every day.
    Well ratings are down 20% so that is only about 1.3 million people overall. Not that much compared to the hate Kim Kardashian gets who btw markets better than NBA players do. Michael Jackson dyed his skin and got 5 nose jobs because of pressure and scrutiny, but he didn't say his concerts were meaningless. Britney Spears shaved her head in like 2007 bc of the pressure (and she was waaaay more famous than James Harden) and she doesn't say her bad singles are not important. There has always been pressure and scrutiny. It comes with the game.

I'm not saying that every star cared back in the day or that players didn't mail it in just to collect that check (looking at you Jim Jackson), but the TOP stars didn't come out and say it. Barkley, Ewing, Malone, all had to deal with the toughness of not getting a ring. Bird, Magic, and Jordan cared deeply about the regular season or atleast faked like they did. That's all I'm asking tbh, just pretend to care.It's BAD BUSINESS sense to repeatedly say that your product doesn't matter.

Also if you constantly say that the regular season is meaningless unless you win a ring (like Harden) then you're basically saying that you're irrelevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well ratings are down 20% so that is only about 1.3 million people overall. Not that much compared to the hate Kim Kardashian gets who btw markets better than NBA players do. Michael Jackson dyed his skin and got 5 nose jobs because of pressure and scrutiny, but he didn't say his concerts were meaningless. Britney Spears shaved her head in like 2007 bc of the pressure (and she was waaaay more famous than James Harden) and she doesn't say her bad singles are not important. There has always been pressure and scrutiny. It comes with the game.

I'm not saying that every star cared back in the day or that players didn't mail it in just to collect that check (looking at you Jim Jackson), but the TOP stars didn't come out and say it. Barkley, Ewing, Malone, all had to deal with the toughness of not getting a ring. Bird, Magic, and Jordan cared deeply about the regular season or atleast faked like they did. That's all I'm asking tbh, just pretend to care.It's BAD BUSINESS sense to repeatedly say that your product doesn't matter.

Also if you constantly say that the regular season is meaningless unless you win a ring (like Harden) then you're basically saying that you're irrelevant.
    I don’t disagree with anything you said here. I don’t think the regular season is meaningless less either. I was more referring to guys hearing the ring less chatter and then teaming up, which leads to less team rivalries, less individual rivalries etc, which then leads to fewer people caring overall. Just kinda a snowball affect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like they are blaming everything else but the product. NBA has become a soft af league of three point chucking, flops, and free throw parades.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like they are blaming everything else but the product. NBA has become a soft af league of three point chucking, flops, and free throw parades.
    and mercenary gotry. and the mercenary isn't just for the money, it's for show and taking the easy way out these days.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably cord cutting mostly. God bless the millennials for telling the cable monopolies to go themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Us knowing everything about the players doesn’t help either.

In the past, the Shaqs Jordan’s bird’s and magics are like mythical creatures that are demigods. Now, we know too much about the players and that veil of invincibility is torn away.

Jordan’s personality won’t make him a marketing darling in today’s world. Nor will magics crazy partying life.

Now we have these players who openly support genocides (Jordan supporting child labour was brushed aside because the general public isn’t overly aware of social issues), have issues with s (Ewing and the good club didn’t make it to the news until way past his prime), is a snake (again Jordan and his bullying antics came out way after he retired),

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (again Jordan and his bullying antics came out way after he retired),
    Did you not read The Jordan Rules back in 1992?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Us knowing everything about the players doesn’t help either.

In the past, the Shaqs Jordan’s bird’s and magics are like mythical creatures that are demigods. Now, we know too much about the players and that veil of invincibility is torn away.

Jordan’s personality won’t make him a marketing darling in today’s world. Nor will magics crazy partying life.

Now we have these players who openly support genocides (Jordan supporting child labour was brushed aside because the general public isn’t overly aware of social issues), have issues with s (Ewing and the good club didn’t make it to the news until way past his prime), is a snake (again Jordan and his bullying antics came out way after he retired),
    Those guys were also actually fun to watch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well since they block those illegal streaming sites, those ppl probably gave up watching full games, and just watch them 10min highlight game reviews on yt

yt needs to start streaming games service

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you not read The Jordan Rules back in 1992?
    Was that 92? Shoot I thought that came out later.

But still people don’t read books. Twitter feeds are much easier to read.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably cord cutting mostly. God bless the millennials for telling the cable monopolies to go themselves.
    Yeah, that's kind of a myth. Cord-cutting is a wash. Cable "dying" is just giving way to giant streaming monopolies, which will make wanting to watch your favorite shows more difficult if you need X amount of apps to watch X amount of shows, which means the savings of $X might not be worth it.

Also, at the end of the day, cable companies are still going to be the cornerstone of all streaming...they are still the massive ISP monopolies. And as they lose revenue with programming, you know it'll recoup some of that with increased internet costs.

I don't think it's that big of a win.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Load management and quite frankly people are getting tired of seeing these guys make the type of money they do. I think that has something to do with it too.
    It's getting ridiculous that any scrub has to be paid millions now. I don't know about TV; but it keeps me away from attending games at times b/c I frankly don't want to support that.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    It's getting ridiculous that any scrub has to be paid millions now. I don't know about TV; but it keeps me away from attending games at times b/c I frankly don't want to support that.
    NBA players especially, look down on the fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's kind of a myth. Cord-cutting is a wash. Cable "dying" is just giving way to giant streaming monopolies, which will make wanting to watch your favorite shows more difficult if you need X amount of apps to watch X amount of shows, which means the savings of $X might not be worth it.

Also, at the end of the day, cable companies are still going to be the cornerstone of all streaming...they are still the massive ISP monopolies. And as they lose revenue with programming, you know it'll recoup some of that with increased internet costs.

I don't think it's that big of a win.
    Even if it cost the same (and it doesn't right now), it's better just for not having commercials.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if it cost the same (and it doesn't right now), it's better just for not having commercials.
    Fully agree. I cut the cord 3 years ago. I pay extra to have no ads on Hulu and YouTube. Can not stand adverts, just another reason I cant sit thru a football game live.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're talking about ESPN and TNT here, and all they show are teams like the the injured Pelicans, Frauden and the Rockets, and teams that load manage their stars. No one wants to watch that and especially so when you need cable to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fully agree. I cut the cord 3 years ago. I pay extra to have no ads on Hulu and YouTube. Can not stand adverts, just another reason I cant sit thru a football game live.
    Ads on YT are ing annoying
    Plus with YT premium you also have music

And omg nfl broadcasts, ads with football breaks

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Even if the league was early to mid 90s basketball with dominant post scoring, halfcourt execution, fewer chuckfests, and hard fouls with no abundance of pussy flagrant every game, the NBA was bound to take a dip in interest league wide in the regular season. American cultural evolution. Kids got way more interesting to do than to sit down and watch 3-4+ NBA games a week in their entirety. Same with baseball and hockey. Kids gotta work on perfecting those Fortnite dances, don’t they? And if it weren’t for the far fewer games and fantasy football, I’d say the same about the NFL. In fact I wouldn’t be shocked that at some point Monday night and Thursday night NFL loses a lot of interest too.

Fans care about the post season and really huge national marquee match-ups. Certainly not for example a Wizards-Kings game on a Thursday night in December.

That’s one thing you can say about Soccer worldwide. For the most part, they should always have high interest, especially in live attendance. There ain’t else to live for in those bunk ass third world countries. Go shoot 1970 American rifles at sandstones or watch a soccer game? Have sex with your wife to have your 14th starving kid or go root for your Querkekistan Hijabs and throw firecrackers at your centuries old religious rivals at your broken down stadium made of sticks and glue? Yes! Futbol! Futbol! Futbol!

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at those ty match-ups last night. Easily could've had one of Nuggets @ Celtics and LAC @ Mil from tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    indeed. Also the general quality of the players has fallen off a cliff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've stopped watching for the most part since Kawhi quit on the team. Had been losing interest in the NBA over time before that. the player movement has taken a lot of the product for me personally. I don't like a league where all the elite talent is coastal in a few teams. No interest in it. Seeing the same teams in the playoffs over the past 4-5 years also sucked. GSW vs Cleveland... meh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD out, Steph out, Klay out, Nephew playing starting pitcher rotation, No OKC, Houston is a cartoon, Spurs games full of fans wearing jerseys of no one on the floor, Boston is a known quan y, East is a joke, MVPs for the past two or three years are gimmicky RS heroballers..

It's become too obvious to too many that the NBA intentionally builds for narrative, and that they were going to force a Boston/LA Finals rivalry again no matter how ludicrous the path, or how much tampering had to happen.

But it's mostly because fans are bags who suck off players and know all about the game, and the players are injured.

I mean, novel concept... I take all the best people in the NBA and put them on two teams, and wow, they win.
    Last edited by DMC; 12-08-2019 at 01:36 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the league was early to mid 90s basketball with dominant post scoring, halfcourt execution, fewer chuckfests, and hard fouls with no abundance of pussy flagrant every game, the NBA was bound to take a dip in interest league wide in the regular season. American cultural evolution. Kids got way more interesting to do than to sit down and watch 3-4+ NBA games a week in their entirety. Same with baseball and hockey. Kids gotta work on perfecting those Fortnite dances, don’t they? And if it weren’t for the far fewer games and fantasy football, I’d say the same about the NFL. In fact I wouldn’t be shocked that at some point Monday night and Thursday night NFL loses a lot of interest too.

Fans care about the post season and really huge national marquee match-ups. Certainly not for example a Wizards-Kings game on a Thursday night in December.

That’s one thing you can say about Soccer worldwide. For the most part, they should always have high interest, especially in live attendance. There ain’t else to live for in those bunk ass third world countries. Go shoot 1970 American rifles at sandstones or watch a soccer game? Have sex with your wife to have your 14th starving kid or go root for your Querkekistan Hijabs and throw firecrackers at your centuries old religious rivals at your broken down stadium made of sticks and glue? Yes! Futbol! Futbol! Futbol!
    POTY award nominee ^

Thread Information