Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, "edgelords" were also praising the Belinelli signing, though I'm sure that's not something you'd bring up as you write the narrative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you ask any Sniffer, Pop has never made a move/adjustment too late tbh

"Edgelords" were calling for Cunningham to be benched, Pau to be moved, The Golden God to actually play in 2011, DWhite to get more time last season, Lonnie to finally crack the rotation....and countless other examples....way, way before Pop actually made those moves.

And without fail, the response is always:
    "Pop had no choice but to make the move when he made it or who cares when he actually did it, just be happy he finally did."

Again, I'm happy Lonnie might be getting some regular minutes, just cracks me up
    Dejuan Blair trying to check the Gasol bros, Bynum and Randolph

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's on Pop... but Pop needs to be harder.. else Walker will become Nephew..
    So he’ll become a perennial all star, all nba, 2x DPOY, and 2x Finals mvp?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, "edgelords" were also praising the Belinelli signing, though I'm sure that's not something you'd bring up as you write the narrative.
    I usually just blame the guy giving the washed player all those minutes instead of the washed player himself but that's just me.

It's fine - the Sniffers claiming Lonnie finally breaking out as a W for them just cracks me up tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie could have finally gotten playing time in Game 81 and OP would have called it a masterful coaching job by CIAPop tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I usually just blame the guy giving the washed player all those minutes instead of the washed player himself but that's just me.

It's fine - the Sniffers claiming Lonnie finally breaking out as a W for them just cracks me up tbh
    It's hilarious, he was obviously ready by the Knicks game, and for sure the timberwolves game. He just needed constant minutes and and a longer leash but you know that gregg popovich needed to drag the spurs to 7 games below 500 to prove a point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has Oladipo potential., I don't think building around a two-way combo guard (if that really happens) is harder than building around a center or a power forward.
    PF I agree with seeing as there's only 2 in history that won rings with teams built around them (TD and Dirk). But the Center position has so many players and teams that have won rings built around them it's ridiculous. Look no further than Houston and it shows you how hard it is to build around a dominant SG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl has Harrell sealed; look at the first pic you posted. Walker takes the wrong angle to the basket. ...
    Nope, Walker took the correct angle to preserve the option of the pass for a 3 attempt. Look at Beli moving toward a clear spot as soon as Walker starts to drive. That was not a play to get a layup, it was a play to get a 3 attempt, or at least have that option. If Walker had gone deeper to the baseline, left of Poeltl, he would have lost the option for the pass.

Recall Pop's praise of Beli, that he knows where to be. There he is, in the clear along the arc. Tah-dah. And Walker found him. Good job, by both Beli and Walker.

I'll add that in my view, if Beli really knew where to be, he'd be spending this winter on the Italian Riviera. That's a larger subject, tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was not a play to get a layup, it was a play to get a 3 attempt, or at least have that option.
    You had it right after the first five words. That was not a play.

If Walker had gone deeper to the baseline, left of Poeltl, he would have lost the option for the pass.
    You don't need a pass option when you have an uncontested dunk.

Robble robble your title? TheSpurglar's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like some of you want another Bryn Forbes or Gary Neal instead of another Manu. Pretty sure Pop is coaching Lonnie the way he is because he sees significant potential in him.

The only real argument is, "If Walker has potential, why not give him minutes?"

I'm not a coach, but I'd guess Pop is actively trying to eliminate any lazy/poor tendencies, because once they're established(through repe ion/playing) they're hard to get rid of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hilarious, he was obviously ready by the Knicks game, and for sure the timberwolves game. He just needed constant minutes and and a longer leash but you know that gregg popovich needed to drag the spurs to 7 games below 500 to prove a point
    OP went from seeming to be at his wit's end with Pop playing Beli in the Pistons game to "Told ya, guys. Always trust Pop" by the end of the Rockets game.

It's fine, I'm just happy Lonnie got the opportunity that a lot of people here have been clamoring for, he deserved it and he's deserved it for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker would have dunked the ball had he gone left. The play wasn't at the end of the game to win or tie. Not even Pringles would tell a guy to pass over a wide-open dunk for a chance at a three. Sure, Lonnie may have been trying to preserve a passing lane, but that's the same non-competative at ude Pop blasted him for. I'd argue that no one else on the team except maybe White doesn't go left in that situation.

The need to make it seem like Pop can never possibly be right anymore is crazy. Dude's definitely made some really bad decisions in my mind, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a good pulse on Walker's mentality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Lonnie breaks out into a star then there is still the problem of building around him. It's really hard to build around shooting guards. As far as I know it's only been done like twice successfully. We have one issue solved where we have an All-NBA defender paired with him that can take the best team's opposing guards. But we need a 3 desperately. Almost impossible to win otherwise.
    I'm pretty sure Pop will play him at SF as he loves to play players out of positon and has been doing it with DeRozan since he got here

Lonnie could have finally gotten playing time in Game 81 and OP would have called it a masterful coaching job by CIAPop tbh
    no, he only played like that cause Pop benched him for that long. It never would have worked in any other way. Just like Poeltl who'd never be able to block 5 shots in a game if he wasn't learning on the bench while watching Pau Gasol. It had nothing to do with him breaking his foot that Poeltl got playing time later on. Pop just wanted to light a fire under him so he plays great defense. Bertans was only benched in game 7, so he comes out compe ive in game 1 of round 2. It's just that the team never got there, so we never got to see it.

Maybe Lonnie can be an MVP candidate if he gets benched for another 10 games. I think Dejounte should be next so he can come back with a jump shot. He might learn a thing or 2 watching Beli shoot

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe op is 100% spot on...

or

lonnie destroyed the compe ion in summer league

20 year old lonnie gets 2 minutes as a reward under the master sage lord pop
    and makes mistakes

21 games into the season- master sage pop has masterfully coached himself into a masterful won-loss record

so what the - now he can throw lonnie into the game before the entire season is lost

20 year old lonnie

is suddenly TRANSFORMED!!!!

senor LJ; you sir, are way better than this - but your trolling is noteworthy!

praise the sage master!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While you're at it, look at the other clip around the 10 second mark. Exactly what the is Bryn doing putting his right arm out onto Lonnie's right hip? ...
    I hate to tell you why Forbes did that. The reason why he did that, was to inform Lonnie he was available to help Lonnie on defense.

The worst defender in the NBA was telling Lonnie, "I'm here to help you on defense, brother, if you need me." You think I'm kidding. I'm not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You had it right after the first five words. That was not a play.
    You're ignoring how Beli moved. The same thing you missed before. Look at it again.

Explain why, if it was just for a Walker layup or dunk, Beli started moving when Walker drove. Beli did that to give an option for the 3 attempt, of course, which is exactly what happened.

You're looking at a play that produced a wide open 3, and trying to claim it's wrong. Guess again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PF I agree with seeing as there's only 2 in history that won rings with teams built around them (TD and Dirk). But the Center position has so many players and teams that have won rings built around them it's ridiculous. Look no further than Houston and it shows you how hard it is to build around a dominant SG.
    It's not that NBA any more. GS won a le and went to another Finals with no player taller than 6'6" in their best 'money' lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're ignoring how Beli moved. The same thing you missed before. Look at it again.

Explain why, if it was just for a Walker layup or dunk, Beli started moving when Walker drove. Beli did that to give an option for the 3 attempt, of course, which is exactly what happened.

You're looking at a play that produced a wide open 3, and trying to claim it's wrong. Guess again.
    Wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Um... That's not the sign of a play. Beli is moving to give Walker an outlet (one he didn't need). That's what you're supposed to do when you're off-ball and someone is driving. If you stand still, then you'll get blocked by the chaos of the play. Danny Green did this all the time, especially with Prime Parker. Sometimes Danny got the pass; sometimes he didn't. But that action was to stress the defense by preventing them from committing too much too Tony, not to get Green a shot specifically. Beli, for all his faults, understands off-ball movement as much as anyone in the league. He never just sits there. Don't take him moving as a sign he's supposed to get the ball. Just watch him during a game sometimes, and you'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... Sure, Lonnie may have been trying to preserve a passing lane, but that's the same non-competative at ude ...
    Finding open passing lanes is "non-compe ive," you say? Are you sober?

That play produced a wide-open 3, spunky.

... I'd argue that no one else on the team except maybe White doesn't go left in that situation.
    Explain why Beli moved when Walker drove. Go right ahead, spunky. Explain that. Reveal your theory of that, which I'm sure will amaze everyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that NBA any more. GS won a le and went to another Finals with no player taller than 6'6" in their best 'money' lineup.
    Golden St proves my original point (although btw they weren't being led by a shooting guard) but my point was that in order to compete with a team built around a SG you need a versatile all star caliber 3. But I think it's easier build around Embiid than it is Lonnie either way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finding open passing lanes is "non-compe ive," you say? Are you sober?

That play produced a wide-open 3, spunky.

Explain why Beli moved when Walker drove. Go right ahead, spunky. Explain that. Reveal your theory of that, which I'm sure will amaze everyone.
    Yes, passing up shots for a teammate to take a harder one is non-competative. That's why Anderson is gone.

And I already explained it. You've been on this board way too long to not know why guys move on the perimeter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope that these two plays weren't any part of the reason why Pop glued Lonnie to the bench. Lonnie isn't perfect in either one, but singling him out is misguided - especially on the offensive end. It's not even a gray area. (If anybody wants to argue with me about it, look at the video pictures and argue with those.)

In the first play, against the Clippers, Jakob has given up position to Montrezl Harrell and is already all but out of this play. This is exactly the thing that you (TIMVP) and I both commented about in that game thread that winds up with Jakob giving up offensive boards. On this play, it also means that he will be able to do nothing to help Lonnie get to the rim.

In the second play, against the Rockets, Jakob has taken up solid position on Harden under the basket. Not only is it much better rebound technique, he is also in position to seal for Lonnie's drive into the paint.

Here, just a few frames later, Lonnie has headed into the paint on both occasions. You can see that Jakob has Harden on his back, and sealed away from Lonnie's drive. Harden's only hope is to reach around Poeltl as Lonnie goes by. Harrell, on the other hand, has slipped unimpeded away from Jakob, and is in excellent defensive position to cut Lonnie off. Poeltl is a spectator.

And the final results: Harrell has forced Lonnie beyond the basket, and is body to body with his hands up. The only way Lonnie is going to get that "dunk or easy layup" is if he figures out a way to make Montrezl Harrell disappear. If he goes aggressively back into Harrell, he could get a whistle since Harrell is inside the circle - but if he doesn't get respect from the zebras, this is likely a dry possession. Poeltl really wishes there was something he could do to help - but he was out of this from the start.

Now in the second picture, Poeltl's seal on Harden has left Lonnie with nothing between him and the rim but air. The only unfortunate thing is that he left his feet too early as this time he really could have had that dunk or easy layup. Instead he puts up a little floater that bounces around and, fortunately, falls.

If you (or Pop) want to blame Lonnie for anything in that play against the Clippers, it should be for not recognizing that he's playing 1-on-1 against Harrell, who is in perfect position to defend the rim - which is what Harrell is there to do.

He could have gone left (along baseline) though and jumped with aggression for a layup or dunk. He brought Montrezl into the play. And the difference between the defensive effort is clearly coaching.

But it requires being aggressive. That's what Pop commented on the other night with his non-compe iveness. Pop deserves credit in the difference as does Lonnie for taking the coaching and not sulking. Together, the two of them may have saved our season. Time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um... That's not the sign of a play. Beli is moving to give Walker an outlet (one he didn't need). ...
    You guys can look at a designed play, and not have a clue. Reminds me of some old comedy show. "Are you really from Scotland Yard?"

Look at it again, and watch Beli. See him move, to the clear spot along the arc, and put his hands in position to receive the pass.

And you think Beli - who Pop said always knows where to be - did that as a result of just wandering around, like a bug on a window.

You can see that play, and have it explained to you, and you still don't have a clue what's happening. You don't know any basketball at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, passing up shots for a teammate to take a harder one is non-competative. ...
    3 is more than 2, spunky, and a wide open 3 from that location is not supposed to be especially difficult for an NBA shooter. Spunky.

You don't know any basketball at all.

Thread Information