Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/lonnie-wal...eos-film-room/

tl;dr: Walker is getting more assertive.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write-up.

Is it possible that Lonnie has had the light bulb turn on in his head since that Clippers game? Or is it really on on Pop?

Robble robble your title? TheSpurglar's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the article. That last clip especially speaks volumes to the growth Walker's undergone from the Clippers game to last night.

Believe in his postgame comments, Walker specifically mentioned effort and consistency. My guess is Pop's been asking for/demanding those things, and Lonnie is working harder to bring 'em when his number is called. Hopefully Pop rewards him for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice, and funny selection of the Harden play. Very obvious bull foul to highlight

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the article. That last clip especially speaks volumes to the growth Walker's undergone from the Clippers game to last night.

Believe in his postgame comments, Walker specifically mentioned effort and consistency. My guess is Pop's been asking for/demanding those things, and Lonnie is working harder to bring 'em when his number is called. Hopefully Pop rewards him for it.
    Would you suggest a 5 time NBA champion, top 5 coach in history known for developing young players knew what he was doing with Walker?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice article, thanks for posting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Normally I miss some defensive stuff when watching games but I realized quickly how Lonnie picked up Harden every time in transition ... he made sure he competed

Spurs International Expert gilmor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write-up.

Is it possible that Lonnie has had the light bulb turn on in his head since that Clippers game? Or is it really on on Pop?
    It's on Pop... but Pop needs to be harder.. else Walker will become Nephew..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man that is a good writeup. Who knows if Pop was pissed over those 2 things in particular, but who the remembers those two plays and writes about? Timvp that's who.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    very good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write-up.

Everyone who’s managed a group of people in whatever field will tell you it’s a process and it depends on a lot variables, including the manager/coach himself, the worker/player, as well as other independent factors such as work environment, etc. However, that’s a bit too grey for the black and white ST discussions lately. You’re either an edgelord and everything good is despite of the FO or you’re a sniffer. But truth is it’s all about the process and neither of us can tell who and how much exactly is responsible for any of it.

Hopefully this is not a one-off for Lonnie because he’s talented and is exactly the type of talent this Spurs team needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In before the 5th graders come in this thread and hurl insults just because they disagree with you and because they don't like their own damn team that they post so much about on a daily basis lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone who’s managed a group of people in whatever field will tell you it’s a process and it depends on a lot variables, including the manager/coach himself, the worker/player, as well as other independent factors such as work environment, etc. However, that’s a bit too grey for the black and white ST discussions lately. You’re either an edgelord and everything good is despite of the FO or you’re a sniffer. But truth is it’s all about the process and neither of us can tell who and how much exactly is responsible for any of it.

Hopefully this is not a one-off for Lonnie because he’s talented and is exactly the type of talent this Spurs team needs.
    Exactly. I'd wager that most of the people who criticize this process never worked in an office / professional setting in their life. But that's not surprising by the lack of logic that gets spewed around here. Yet they expect people to have faith in their obvious inexperience when they say like "this would have worked if so and so this!". How delusional do you have to be to believe in your crap? People ignore the complexities and just go straight to black and white just like you said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up. Thanks.

Lonnie is such a nice guy, someone needed to push him to be assertive. Pop's done that. Let's hope Lonnie keeps it up because clearly he's the most athletic guy on the team (even more than DJ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up - more than anything this was a spark and a really bright spot needed as the feeling of a wasted season was setting in. Wonder what these two wins (LAC & HOU) do to sway the thinking?

Pops comments lend themselves to the belief that they are going to hang on as long as they can to this version of the team (“‘this is the team we think we have” comments meaning they think they can win with this group). It also will probably give them major pause throwing Lonnie into any deal in order to move other players if/when it comes to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In before the 5th graders come in this thread and hurl insults just because they disagree with you and because they don't like their own damn team that they post so much about on a daily basis lmao
    Shut your ass up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked Pop calling out Lonnie. he used to make TP cry and I was like yeah yell at him some more
    What I didn’t like was benching him for like 5 games bc of the mistakes. The two actions didn’t match up. Lonnie has improved though and that’s on Pop. Still we are only 2 games out of the 8th seed so who knows?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel we did see some of this already from Lonnie; even before against Harden in the pre season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great compare/contrast article!

This one game has caused me to reconsider what is happening with this team. Pop's comments after the game ("this is the team we think we have") indicates that the execution has not happened, yet. One great way to get players to execute is to allow them to lose by executing poorly. It makes me think that the team will find its iden y through effort and execution. That's a big learning curve. The fact that the team did not cave also tells me that they are not tanking in any way. LWIV had a breakout game, no doubt. That is exciting! He will get benched some more and yelled at this season (Sorry Pop haters). I doubt that he has learned everything he needs to know in that one game. His future is incredibly bright. His growth between Halloween and now is remarkable. I loved that he mentioned that he was playing harder in practice. That gives the team and coaches a chance to see what he is made of and his breakout game was very well-timed.

LWIV needs to guard his man and take it hard to the basket and he will get more time on the floor. Remembering 2 things is tough for most 20 yr olds, let's hope he's up for that challenge. 20 yrs old, people!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel we did see some of this already from Lonnie; even before against Harden in the pre season.
    I've read this take a lot. The key is consistency and effort, not natural ability. We all knew of Lonnie's athleticism and gifts (Pop, watching him on practice, more so than anyone) - yet where was this aggressiveness and drive in the Clippers game? Lonnie had already shown flashes in preseason... Yet he vanished. Shied away from his defensive duty, shied away from going at the rim on offense. Did Pop need to bench him for 5 straight games for that one bad performance? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact remains that the Lonnie who played against the Clippers is not the same one who scored 28 on the Rockets. We can go back and forth over how much of that is on Pop's coaching and how much on Lonnie's own internal growth - the results speak for themselves. I'm actually expecting him to get benched again in a game or two once his effort inevitable wanes, tbh. Tough love, earn your minutes kind of coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20 yrs old, people!!!!

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great compare/contrast article!

This one game has caused me to reconsider what is happening with this team. Pop's comments after the game ("this is the team we think we have") indicates that the execution has not happened, yet. One great way to get players to execute is to allow them to lose by executing poorly. It makes me think that the team will find its iden y through effort and execution. That's a big learning curve. The fact that the team did not cave also tells me that they are not tanking in any way. LWIV had a breakout game, no doubt. That is exciting! He will get benched some more and yelled at this season (Sorry Pop haters). I doubt that he has learned everything he needs to know in that one game. His future is incredibly bright. His growth between Halloween and now is remarkable. I loved that he mentioned that he was playing harder in practice. That gives the team and coaches a chance to see what he is made of and his breakout game was very well-timed.
    Good point about execution and Team iden y.

I'm fed up up Bryn and Patty running plays for themselves. When you have the likes of LA, Demar and Lonnie on the court. They have to be initiators of the offense who will make things happen. The shooters have to be ready. Remember, the primary reason the midgets are on the floor is for spacing.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope that these two plays weren't any part of the reason why Pop glued Lonnie to the bench. Lonnie isn't perfect in either one, but singling him out is misguided - especially on the offensive end. It's not even a gray area. (If anybody wants to argue with me about it, look at the video pictures and argue with those.)

In the first play, against the Clippers, Jakob has given up position to Montrezl Harrell and is already all but out of this play. This is exactly the thing that you (TIMVP) and I both commented about in that game thread that winds up with Jakob giving up offensive boards. On this play, it also means that he will be able to do nothing to help Lonnie get to the rim.

In the second play, against the Rockets, Jakob has taken up solid position on Harden under the basket. Not only is it much better rebound technique, he is also in position to seal for Lonnie's drive into the paint.

Here, just a few frames later, Lonnie has headed into the paint on both occasions. You can see that Jakob has Harden on his back, and sealed away from Lonnie's drive. Harden's only hope is to reach around Poeltl as Lonnie goes by. Harrell, on the other hand, has slipped unimpeded away from Jakob, and is in excellent defensive position to cut Lonnie off. Poeltl is a spectator.

And the final results: Harrell has forced Lonnie beyond the basket, and is body to body with his hands up. The only way Lonnie is going to get that "dunk or easy layup" is if he figures out a way to make Montrezl Harrell disappear. If he goes aggressively back into Harrell, he could get a whistle since Harrell is inside the circle - but if he doesn't get respect from the zebras, this is likely a dry possession. Poeltl really wishes there was something he could do to help - but he was out of this from the start.

Now in the second picture, Poeltl's seal on Harden has left Lonnie with nothing between him and the rim but air. The only unfortunate thing is that he left his feet too early as this time he really could have had that dunk or easy layup. Instead he puts up a little floater that bounces around and, fortunately, falls.

If you (or Pop) want to blame Lonnie for anything in that play against the Clippers, it should be for not recognizing that he's playing 1-on-1 against Harrell, who is in perfect position to defend the rim - which is what Harrell is there to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice article. Looks like Lonnie is going to have some great memories for when he's relegated back to the bench

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have time to dissect the defensive clips, but I will later. But if you look at the play with Leonard, watch Forbes. Lonnie is moving over to pick up Autist, and Forbes throws his right arm out to signal that he's got the sideline, and Lonnie moves back toward the middle of the floor. Forbes' job at that point was to do just that - cut off the sideline and force Autist back toward the middle. Instead, Bryn takes up inside position and sags, and the play goes to from there.

It's bad D by Lonnie, but the root cause is the worst defender in the league. And if you back a few seconds and look closely, it's pretty obvious that Kawhi came down the floor looking for Forbes, the victim of choice for offensive players everywhere.

While you're at it, look at the other clip around the 10 second mark. Exactly what the is Bryn doing putting his right arm out onto Lonnie's right hip? Then keep watching Forbes. If anything, he gets in the way of Lonnie staying in front of Harden. And finally, that "unfortunate" whistle was on Bryn for reaching and grabbing Harden's arm in a futile gesture.

If anyone needs to be benched, and if benching can really make a player improve, Bryn Forbes needs to have a wood-grain ass.

Thread Information