Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finding open passing lanes is "non-compe ive," you say? Are you sober?

That play produced a wide-open 3, spunky.

Explain why Beli moved when Walker drove. Go right ahead, spunky. Explain that. Reveal your theory of that, which I'm sure will amaze everyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's quite a condescending response to our guy BillMc, especially considering it's not really true. Walker's defense wasn't anything special in G League last season (average or below average, if we're being honest), in summer league it was decent but far from "tremendous" and in preseason he had a few good possessions against Harden but still nothing close to his potential.
    Let’s agree to disagree. It was not condescending and he answered with what I thought - he didn’t get to watch it. I didn’t say it was Lonnie breakout SZN during the SL, pre-season etc..I said he showed him immense potential, which I believe he did. The fact you knew exactly what I was talking about with out mentioning it (Harden possessions) lends me to believe you saw the potential too.

Is it better to see it in an actual game? Yes. But I was simply saying that the defensive potential didn’t come out of no where. We had seen glimpses before of that potential with what evidence we had (because he wasn’t playing real NBA games yet).

Maybe our definition of showing potential is different but to me that means you are looking for moments from a young player where you can go “wow, he’s capable of that type of moment? Hmmm, wonder if that is something he can do consistently”. Watching him use his athleticism against Harden in the pre-season, coupled with other moments like that in the G-league and SL gave me more than enough hope he could be a top notch defender.

I’ve posted about it well before this game too about why I thought he would be a big + on that end so its not after-the-fact-ism either

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was from pre-season vs Harden. A lot of this looks very similar to what we just saw. All I’m saying is this vs Harden was not some completely out of the blue “OMG Lonnie can actually play defense?” Moment. We saw, what I believe to be, immense potential before even if as I admitted it was not consistent.

That is why I asked and what I clearly meant by potential * shrugs *

I mean, others were writing and posting about his potential there too before this game - it’s not like everyone saw the defensive part of this most recent HOU game and went “where the did that defense come from? He’s never done that before???”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys can look at a designed play, and not have a clue. Reminds me of some old comedy show. "Are you really from Scotland Yard?"

Look at it again, and watch Beli. See him move, to the clear spot along the arc, and put his hands in position to receive the pass.

And you think Beli - who Pop said always knows where to be - did that as a result of just wandering around, like a bug on a window.

You can see that play, and have it explained to you, and you still don't have a clue what's happening. You don't know any basketball at all.
    That's not a designed play. That's an action. It's like thinking that a guy cutting through on a post-up means the play is designed for the cutter. There's a difference between a set play (where a coach draws up a specific sequence of actions to get a certain player a certain shot) and a set running through options and a play having outlets. Beli sliding on the play is the same as a big man rolling on a PnR. That's him doing his job spacing the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 is more than 2, spunky, and a wide open 3 from that location is not supposed to be especially difficult for an NBA shooter. Spunky.

You don't know any basketball at all.
    A three point attempt isn't worth more than a wide open dunk. It's weird you claim to know basketball and don't seem to get that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did yall not watch any of the G-League or Summer League or Pre-Season? Lonnie showed tremendous one-on-one defensive potential all the time
    We had seen glimpses before of that potential
    Tremendous all the time to glimpses? Okay, yeah, I can get behind the latter.

The former was overstated, especially when coupled with condescending language. He had a couple Harden possessions in preseason but I didn't see anything in SL or GL that I'd say was tremendous. But, okay, glimpses of potential is a fair way to state it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tremendous all the time to glimpses? Okay, yeah, I can get behind the latter.

The former was overstated, especially when coupled with condescending language. He had a couple Harden possessions in preseason but I didn't see anything in SL or GL that I'd say was tremendous. But, okay, glimpses of potential is a fair way to state it.

Bill is a big boy and I’ve never said anything condescending to him ever; so that was not the intent and I think he probably knows that with how I speak to people

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was from pre-season vs Harden. A lot of this looks very similar to what we just saw. All I’m saying is this vs Harden was not some completely out of the blue “OMG Lonnie can actually play defense?” Moment. We saw, what I believe to be, immense potential before even if as I admitted it was not consistent.
    no need to argue with OP when he threw Walker under the bus the day before his break out game and has made a 180 ever since

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no need to argue with OP when he threw Walker under the bus the day before his break out game and has made a 180 ever since
    I dont agree with that; don’t think he threw Lonnie under the bus. timvp , along with even Jeff McDonald, just hold a different view on how Pop went about the tough love.

And if we are being honest, any time you can be on the Jeff McDonald side of a basketball argument, you are probably on the right side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky coaches him not pop
    Saw her talking to him on sidelines

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont agree with that; don’t think he threw Lonnie under the bus. timvp , along with even Jeff McDonald, just hold a different view on how Pop went about the tough love.

And if we are being honest, any time you can be on the Jeff McDonald side of a basketball argument, you are probably on the right side.
    * jiggles fishing pole a few times *

Hmm, fish ain’t bitin today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Right. "The Spurs won enough, it's cool to let somebody else take a turn"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO Jeff "let some other guy have a turn" McDonald.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh?

Are you talking about when I said the Spurs don't have their next franchise player on their roster yet in TD 21's thread? If so, that's one interesting definition of throwing Walker under the bus.

You believe Walker is a franchise player? I hope you're right and, if that day comes, I hope you'll forgive me for doubting him. I'm pretty high on him but franchise player? Yeah, no, no I'm not there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh?

Are you talking about when I said the Spurs don't have their next franchise player on their roster yet in TD 21's thread? If so, that's one interesting definition of throwing Walker under the bus.

You believe Walker is a franchise player? I hope you're right and, if that day comes, I hope you'll forgive me for doubting him. I'm pretty high on him but franchise player? Yeah, no, no I'm not there.
    Turnabout is fair play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill is a big boy and I’ve never said anything condescending to him ever; so that was not the intent and I think he probably knows that with how I speak to people
    Perhaps I misread your intended inflection.

Apologies in order.

* jiggles fishing pole a few times *

Hmm, fish ain’t bitin today
    Bait ignored.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turnabout is fair play.
    , tbh.

Me defending the young players on the roster was morphed into me throwing Walker under the bus apparently.

I'd be remiss if I didn't credit SAGirl for that maneuver, tbh

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's make sure we gig Pop a lot of credit for benching a true all star level talent as the Spurs went on a mega losing streak. GOAT coach, obviously. His tactic obviously paid a dividend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still think the "hiding" from Nephew thing is overblown. He wasn't super assertive by shrugging Forbes out of the way, which admittedly was nice to see in the HOU game, but ending up matched up on a different offensive player in transition off a miss is fairly common. It happens to White and Murray. It happened to Nephew and Green. Yet nobody ever accused them of being scared to defend.

There's also no reason why Pop couldn't have gotten the same result with an ass chewing and/or a quick 5 second benching like he's done with Murray/White. Even benching him for the rest of that LAC game would've been fine. 10-15 games and giving Belli every opportunity to not be the worst rotation player in the league...to me that shows that this wasn't some CIA Pop genius move. If Belli could have progressed back to what he was last year (which is still pretty ing bad), Lonnie is still buried on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Marco assumes his destined and well earned 12th man role does he still get to keep his second-from-coaches assigned seat? I found it comical watching him shoo-off guys like Eubanks for sitting in that seat, likes he's Kobe Bryant or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Omg Lonnie praises Pop for his improvement!”

The young man finally, FINALLY, got some serious minutes in a game and found a rhythm. He wants to continue to get more time one the floor. Of course he’s gonna kiss Pops balls.

What you want him to say? Man Pop! I’ve been ready all damn year. Bout time that old man played me. Yeah that’s gonna fly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s agree to disagree. It was not condescending and he answered with what I thought - he didn’t get to watch it. I didn’t say it was Lonnie breakout SZN during the SL, pre-season etc..I said he showed him immense potential, which I believe he did. The fact you knew exactly what I was talking about with out mentioning it (Harden possessions) lends me to believe you saw the potential too.

Is it better to see it in an actual game? Yes. But I was simply saying that the defensive potential didn’t come out of no where. We had seen glimpses before of that potential with what evidence we had (because he wasn’t playing real NBA games yet).

Maybe our definition of showing potential is different but to me that means you are looking for moments from a young player where you can go “wow, he’s capable of that type of moment? Hmmm, wonder if that is something he can do consistently”. Watching him use his athleticism against Harden in the pre-season, coupled with other moments like that in the G-league and SL gave me more than enough hope he could be a top notch defender.

I’ve posted about it well before this game too about why I thought he would be a big + on that end so its not after-the-fact-ism either
    Dude, I went to multiple games in Austin last year. -- I live about 10 minutes away. I also went to a few in San Antonio, of which Lonnie played in at least a couple.
    I went to the Raptors game on nephs return and watched him come in during garbage time for I believe his first minutes/points of his career. When he came in, he repeatedly lost his man. REPEATEDLY. I know because I followed nothing but him.

I say all of that to say I made **multiple** posts about Lonnies D being utter . I said on multiple posts he was never going to play given Pops demands for D. It was often non existent in Summer League and I questioned if he'd even get called up given how sporadic his efforts were. There just cannot be any doubt but that Pop and the coaches (wish Ahern had stressed it more or benched him) likely finally got their point across that effort and "compe iveness" were mandated or he'd ride the bench.

I think it's important to note for the record given what this thread has evolved into, that while his abilities were always clear, his Spursian effort was not. And that's what got this team under Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker and all the role players to 5 chips and an unsurpassed level of success. Pop sent his message and to Lonnies credit, it was finally recieved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker was a typical liberal wanted free handout and maybe his great great great great great great relatives were slaves in USA
    Now becky says not the way it is and is working
    Becky is the one coaching him not pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, I went to multiple games in Austin last year. -- I live about 10 minutes away. I also went to a few in San Antonio, of which Lonnie played in at least a couple.
    I went to the Raptors game on nephs return and watched him come in during garbage time for I believe his first minutes/points of his career. When he came in, he repeatedly lost his man. REPEATEDLY. I know because I followed nothing but him.

I say all of that to say I made **multiple** posts about Lonnies D being utter . I said on multiple posts he was never going to play given Pops demands for D. It was often non existent in Summer League and I questioned if he'd even get called up given how sporadic his efforts were. There just cannot be any doubt but that Pop and the coaches (wish Ahern had stressed it more or benched him) likely finally got their point across that effort and "compe iveness" were mandated or he'd ride the bench.

I think it's important to note for the record given what this thread has evolved into, that while his abilities were always clear, his Spursian effort was not. And that's what got this team under Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker and all the role players to 5 chips and an unsurpassed level of success. Pop sent his message and to Lonnies credit, it was finally recieved.
    Someone who finally understands what Lonnie's progression has been all about. It's crazy to see the revisionist history saying Lonnie always had that insane talent on D when he looked like a lost puppy on the court for most of his playing stints, both in Austin and the Spurs. I had accepted him as a kind of "double the offense, half the defense" kind of player as his ceiling, but last game showed us that he might reach higher than that. All that's left to see is whether the lesson was fully learned, or if his effort will wane once he gets complacent with his minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker was a typical liberal wanted free handout and maybe his great great great great great great relatives were slaves in USA
    Now becky says not the way it is and is working
    Becky is the one coaching him not pop
    STFU MAGAt.

Thread Information