Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because being super athletic is all it takes to succeed in the NBA? By gawd you guys are highly overrating Lonnie. He didn’t do anything with the minutes he got against the Kings. He had ONE good game where he was hot and he got extra minutes so the hot hand could be feed but other than that he’s shown mere flashes in between being mediocre.
    I can respect your opinion that IV is only a mediocre player for the rest of his career. I don't agree; but at least that makes your basis for benching him solid. Of course, I doubt Gregg shares your ty opinion. He just wants IV to know who's boss and whose ring to kiss.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could you please provide a reference of your coaching experience on here? I've got a sinking su ion that you don't know what the you're talking about.
    My reference is my foot up your ass.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure, that's why he is the best to ever do it by pretty much everyone but you.
    Less than half a Spurs board even buys that . GTFO

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly...funny how we love to on phil and kerr amd say any coach could have won with those teams, but ignore the fact that we had tim duncan and prop up Pop as a coach
    ST homers believe that everything just broke their way. As an outsider who wasn't on ST I could see that they were a superior team who the league took measures against for the sake of ratings. TD was good enough to have had a Bill Russell run in a more fair administering of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Less than half a Spurs board even buys that . GTFO
    spurs board? GTFO :P

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My reference is my foot up your ass.
    :You know your mommy won't let you watch basketball on tv when she's home from work. It's either PBS, or Nat Geo, am I right?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing you're on, dip .

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    :You know your mommy won't let you watch basketball on tv when she's home from work. It's either PBS, or Nat Geo, am I right?
    I know you're a goty troll. Move along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Hall Of Fame doesn't see the "Spurs board" and decide that Coach Pop just won't make the grade. You know all that hard work being the head coach of the most winning team in all team sports for two decades might be down the drain.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST homers believe that everything just broke their way. As an outsider who wasn't on ST I could see that they were a superior team who the league took measures against for the sake of ratings. TD was good enough to have had a Bill Russell run in a more fair administering of the game.
    There was an interesting article done by 538 a few years back that stated Duncan should have won even more championships when they crunched up all the stats and etc. I definitely believe he should have won 8 les if it wasn't for corruption.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I definitely believe he should have won 8 les if it wasn't for corruption.
    The Spurs should send Rudy G. to investigate this corruption.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray has had trouble with his drives to the rim since his rookie season. You can’t blame it all on the coaches.
    I'm not... I'm blaming his lack of aggressiveness on them... I'm blaming the players he has around him on them... And he is MUCH better at the rim now than he was then... The guy used to throw up 20 foot floaters

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SMH. Spurs losing to the ing Cavs at home. The guy who IV should be in place of in the starting lineup (Forbes) was 1-6 FG while playing his usual league worst defense. Smartest guy in the room thinks it's better to have IV coming off the bench at the same minute clip as 47-year-old Bellinelli.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just seeing some highlights...

Wow. DeRozan could've clinched the game with one of two FTs, a steal thrown right to him, or the last second shot. Any of those four chances.

SMH. I'm not on the it has to be IV or DDR bandwagon yet, but wow. For now I'm okay with the fundamental realization that IV is the superior option over either midget or the forty-seven-year old Italian.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game was won if DDR makes the winning play on any one of those 4 instances.
    He failed on all 4. Miserably

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie doesn't consistently look like a scrub.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is an experimenter. Sometimes they fail. He doesn't give a what you think about it. Other coaches are plug and play guys, they just run sets and let the PG do all the thinking/shooting/anything else. They rely on stars to win. Post hoc claims of "HOFer" for Tony and Manu are interesting since, without Timmy and maybe without Pop, neither of them would be HOFers. Good players, sure, but great players like Tim and great coaches like Pop often drag other people to the hall, ala Pippen and Rodman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not... I'm blaming his lack of aggressiveness on them... I'm blaming the players he has around him on them... And he is MUCH better at the rim now than he was then... The guy used to throw up 20 foot floaters
    The Spurs have always struggled early on to develop an iden y, offensive ID and defensive ID. In the past they had a corporate core of players to use as seed crystal. Now they have guys who are often journeymen, or settlers like LMA and DDR. It's telling that the year before DDR was traded his coach was fired for ting the bed in the post season, while the very next year the Raptors won the ring. There are extenuating cir stances that helped facilitate that, but the 10K foot takeaway is that DDR isn't a franchise level guy. Forcing him to be because he shoots a lot and has handles and hops doesn't change that. LMA is in the same softness arena as Pau Gasol. Without a solid group around him his production on both ends doesn't really rise above the noise. These other people are just wood putty on an antique piece of furniture.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is an experimenter. Sometimes they fail. He doesn't give a what you think about it. Other coaches are plug and play guys, they just run sets and let the PG do all the thinking/shooting/anything else. They rely on stars to win. Post hoc claims of "HOFer" for Tony and Manu are interesting since, without Timmy and maybe without Pop, neither of them would be HOFers. Good players, sure, but great players like Tim and great coaches like Pop often drag other people to the hall, ala Pippen and Rodman.
    I never took you for such a Pop sucker.

Manu was a top talent. He beat USA in 2004 and was pretty much 2005 FMVP. Tony was an all star level talent pretty well from the get go and was 2007 FMVP.

Yea, Gregg may be all about the system, but we are seeing the detrimental effects first hand with someone like Lonnie. Maybe it worked before cos Manu and Tony liked being sidekicks enough. But it's foolish to think lightning will strike twice; especially since there is no Timmy rock to tie to.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie doesn't consistently look like a scrub.
    Because he had one 'he's the man' half?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never took you for such a Pop sucker.

Manu was a top talent. He beat USA in 2004 and was pretty much 2005 FMVP. Tony was an all star level talent pretty well from the get go and was 2007 FMVP.

Yea, Gregg may be all about the system, but we are seeing the detrimental effects first hand with someone like Lonnie. Maybe it worked before cos Manu and Tony liked being sidekicks enough. But it's foolish to think lightning will strike twice; especially since there is no Timmy rock to tie to.
    Is Scola a HOFer? Who else on that 2004 Olympics team is a HOFer? Would Manu be a HOFer without the NBA? Would he be a HOFer if he played for a team that didn't have le aspirations, like the Magic or Hornets?

Spurs are a small market team who pulled 5 rings from one draft pick and one head coach. All else is just side talk. A few years ago Rick Carlisle was "better than Pop" until the Spurs rang in 2014, then it was lightning in a bottle. Then it was Brad Stevens until he the bed in the playoffs so many times. Then it was coach Bud, until he did the same thing on two different teams. Then it was Kerr who was basically matched by Luke Walton as far as being present on the bench during a win.

If the Spurs don't ring every season the coach is .

You guys get too enamored with mediocre talent who can run and jump and you're spoiled because the Spurs have found so many diamonds in the rough, but sometimes a quartz is just a quartz. These players who people on the forum seem to think will blossom often don't, and you act like the coach is to blame. Generational talent is called that for a reason. Not every player from the D League is going to pan out just because they came to SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Blow us.
    How the f can anyone short of Wilt, Jordan, Timmy Duncs etc look good when Grandpa forces you on the floor with this?
    A change of scenery to a new country did nothing to help his dementia / god complex ego as Bryn Forms is now 0-6 with his usual lock down D.

So don't spew any Lonnie IV numbers at me with this 1st half.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Scola a HOFer? Who else on that 2004 Olympics team is a HOFer? Would Manu be a HOFer without the NBA? Would he be a HOFer if he played for a team that didn't have le aspirations, like the Magic or Hornets?
    I don't speak of HOFer in snowflake terms. I speak of it as what level Manu was at as an NBA player. If you want to believe Scola was HOF level, I won't stop you; I might laugh is all.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are a small market team who pulled 5 rings from one draft pick
    Yup. Could've been more with a different coach, but could've been less also.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are a small market team who pulled 5 rings from one draft pick and one head coach. All else is just side talk. A few years ago Rick Carlisle was "better than Pop" until the Spurs rang in 2014, then it was lightning in a bottle. Then it was Brad Stevens until he the bed in the playoffs so many times. Then it was coach Bud, until he did the same thing on two different teams. Then it was Kerr who was basically matched by Luke Walton as far as being present on the bench during a win.

If the Spurs don't ring every season the coach is .
    Narratives. Back when the Spurs were ringing, it often looked petty to judge Pop too harshly. A team like this with a rich mix of vets, all stars, and upcoming talent is probably a more fair medium to judge him as a coach. Are you happy with his current output?

Thread Information