View Poll Results: What is Best Option for DeRozan Assuming No Extension Offered

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Him if you don’t see him in future

54 78.26%
  • Play Out Season who cares if he walks

8 11.59%
  • Forget Both SA should be working towards an extension

7 10.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been over this ad nauseam, but to summarize . . .

- Under no cir stances should he be given an extension. Not if it's for a relative discount in money and/or term, not if he keeps up his low volume 3-point shooting and not if the team remains "in the hunt" for a playoff spot in the turtle derby that is one of the final 2 spots in the West.

- He should absolutely be traded. The return is bound to be underwhelming, but it doesn't matter, because something is better than nothing (him walking) and cap space is largely irrelevant here: No significant free agent will sign and they won't use it as a dumping ground to get picks by taking on dead money.

- Since the Magic have turned their season around momentarily and Fournier is having a career season, the best bet is probably either taking on Pistons expiring's + a lottery protected 1st or re-routing that and potentially other spare parts for Paul or Gallinari.

I still think trying in vain to "win" holds more appeal to the Spurs than a mid 1st (even though it could be used as a vehicle, with their own 1st and possibly a young player, to get to the mid lottery).

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    does tyson chandler have any game left?

demar for eric gordon, pj tucker, and tyson chandler doesn't seem too unrealistic.

gordon and tucker help space the floor. no demar means the ball can be in murray / white / lonnie's hands more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, the people that say “wait and see” imply that something could change which is interesting. Without a trade to bolster this team with Derozan and LMA you are basically saying there IS a line to you that gets crossed where keeping Derozan makes sense.

So you’re saying that if you knew Sa could make the playoffs and lose in the 2nd round you’d rather that then the extra late first?

That’s fair but wanting to see the thought process on that.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    would do this deal in a heartbeat, spurs would instantly be a top four team in the west:

cp3 / murray or white / diallo / la / noel

schroder and lonnie off the bench would be a fun scoring duo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    him shooting 3s will help his trade value. Lets just take a moment to bask in the joy that he is him finally shooting and making 3s!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you don't extend him you have to trade him. Cap space in the offseason doesn't matter, because the free agents available will be garbage. If the Spurs can make the playoffs with DeRozan, they can make them without him. There is no evidence that the team is worse when he's off the floor. Last years team couldn't compete without one of the 9 rotation players...except for DeRozan. When he was injured they still won. Him shooting 3s gives him some value, but from what I heard the Spurs want to extend him for 20 million per year and he won't take that. He's definitely not worth more than that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him Dec 15th 12:01. For picks, young players, bad salary attached to another teams' picks, anything really. Next best case scenario is another team offers him a max so he walks, but you get nothing then (still can take on bad salary for picks with that capspace though). Really, any scenario where DD is not a part of the Spurs long-term plans is okay with me. The best asset that the Spurs will get anyways is being rid of the shackles that are the minutes and touches he gets due to his status as the team's "star" at the expense of our many young guards.
    You, good sir, are a wise, wise man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at this point the prospect of not sinking 30 mil+/yr into this buffoon is appealing on its own. getting a couple of draft picks or a midlevel player is a nice bonus.
    Tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure what to make of his sudden 3 point shooting. 5 for 10 over the last 4 games. If he can shoot a decent percentage on 2.5 plus attempts per contest he does become more valuable.
    U mean like he used to do in Toronto when we used to laugh at him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what the best course of action would be with DDR.
    Each scenario is equally arguable. The fact that he is suddenly shooting 3’s might indicate that he’s working to secure that extension or upping his trade value.

I find it difficult to imagine that he would bring back something that we need in a trade. Tough call.
    He was shooting threes in Toronto and we still thought he was trash...and he is worse now than he was then... Trade him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To get good value for him, trade him somewhere he is willing to resign... But at this point, getting rid of DDR for anything is addition by subtraction

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you don't extend him you have to trade him. Cap space in the offseason doesn't matter, because the free agents available will be garbage. If the Spurs can make the playoffs with DeRozan, they can make them without him. There is no evidence that the team is worse when he's off the floor. Last years team couldn't compete without one of the 9 rotation players...except for DeRozan. When he was injured they still won. Him shooting 3s gives him some value, but from what I heard the Spurs want to extend him for 20 million per year and he won't take that. He's definitely not worth more than that
    To me personally, whether they can make the playoffs with or without him is largely irrelevant to the general point. The bigger point is we know for 100% certainty that this team is not anywhere close to a contender.

So there is no decision on whether blowing up a team that is close to getting over the hump or not. At best, it’s a fringe playoff team and even then, that’s really not the point either.

If you don’t believe in DeRozan enough to where you are worried about winning now more than the future and aren’t willing to make trades to bolster the teams playoff chances right now, that also means you obviously don’t believe in building around him for the next 3-5 years with an extension.

So whether or not you make the playoffs should not change that and it doesn’t. The question then becomes is making the playoffs worth missing out an additional draft pick (in theory assuming you can get that in a trade)?

Because whether or not Sa makes the playoffs they are not seemingly extended DeRozan which means he likely walks next season for nothing and you have no compensation for losing a solid player when you need as much ammo as possible for the continuing rebuild. I can’t think of any top tier franchise that just sub-optimally loses assets for no good reason when they could get something positive for them.

If the plan was to continue the “win-building” they have been doing and they were a sure fire playoff team (even if not a contender) then extending DeRozan makes sense but the fact they dont seem to be on that trajectory no matter what and aren’t willing to trade picks/youth to get more talent now lends me to believe he should be moved by the deadline.

Playoffs or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s interesting. So you seem to think SA believes in Derozan as the future and fit but the disagreement is simply over the price tag?

That makes sense. It’s definitely something to consider.
    Sadly, I think the fact that the FO thought he would be a good fit in the first place, added to the fact that the team is struggling right now but made the PO last season and is hanging by due to DeMar's effort, they could delude themselves into thinking of DeMar as a long-term piece. Sad to think of the Spurs FO being this clueless, but it is what it is at this point. We'll know soon enough what they think - if they're trading him, they'll want it done as soon as possible after the 15th anyways.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no one on the roster that would be as good as derozan so trading for potential will probably work out as good as Murray or Lonnie and both of those guys are nothing more than YMCA stars. Get rid of lamarsha first.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you an actual Baseline Bum?
    Nah just a bum tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he opts out, whats the maximum you can offer for a short term contract (2 years)? 60million? The young guys love him, so can't see him getting traded, but he would have to take a bench role at some point. LMA should be the focus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no one on the roster that would be as good as derozan so trading for potential will probably work out as good as Murray or Lonnie and both of those guys are nothing more than YMCA stars. Get rid of lamarsha first.
    I think of them as a double-header. Teams don't usually trade big for big and small for small. So you trade LMA for a decent 3 and D SF and simultaneously move Dumbmar for a decent big to fill LMA's spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he opts out, whats the maximum you can offer for a short term contract (2 years)? 60million? ...
    What?!? Bite your typing fingers off! This very minute!

The young guys love him, ...
    They do not. No player likes a guy who has hissy fits that hurt the team. Also, Pop gives no part of a rat's anatomy what any young guy likes.

... LMA should be the focus.
    Not correct. In terms of salary vs performance, LMA is a bargain. (Don't believe everything you read on Spurstalk.) LMA is the 40th highest paid player in the NBA. His stats, including PER, run consistently 34th in the NBA. LMA is outperforming his salary.

DDR underperforms. He is 25th in salary, but lower in all stats with the sole exception of ppg. His PER is 43rd, for example.

The Spurs should get rid of the player who underperforms re his salary, not the one who outperforms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade his tckn ass! for the love of god we have enough sg's

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got to trade him for pick(s) and a bad contract. Right now while his 3 point shooting is hot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It all depends on the market. If an offer comes across the table that makes the team better, PATFO would consider it. I am mystified at what their plan is right now. This season has been very strange.
    I don't believe they know for sure which way to go. Pop rarely trades during the season and he almost never trades with Western Conference teams. I bet they end up keeping him. If not, it will be because another team could use a scorer for the playoffs and could mask his defense.
    That is slim pickin's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him Dec 15th 12:01. For picks, young players, bad salary attached to another teams' picks, anything really. Next best case scenario is another team offers him a max so he walks, but you get nothing then (still can take on bad salary for picks with that capspace though). Really, any scenario where DD is not a part of the Spurs long-term plans is okay with me. The best asset that the Spurs will get anyways is being rid of the shackles that are the minutes and touches he gets due to his status as the team's "star" at the expense of our many young guards.
    /thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

demar for eric gordon, pj tucker, and tyson chandler doesn't seem too unrealistic.

gordon and tucker help space the floor. no demar means the ball can be in murray / white / lonnie's hands more.
    Doubt D'Antoni would want to swap 3pt shooters for a midrange player on his team that plays even worse D than Eric Gordon, tbh. Not their style. But who knows, the Rockets are so ing stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see any reason to keep him. He can't be a centerpiece on a true contender, he keeps the young players from getting minutes, he makes every defensive scheme suspect, his offensive style keeps the lane cluttered for his teammates... A decade's worth of mediocre-to-poor advanced stats are not performing some sort of sleight of hand magic trick. Freeing up cap space alone for a future potential player is enough of a reason to trade him. Getting anything in return with future potential-- a defender, a shooter-- would just be icing on the cake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information