View Poll Results: What is Best Option for DeRozan Assuming No Extension Offered

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Him if you don’t see him in future

54 78.26%
  • Play Out Season who cares if he walks

8 11.59%
  • Forget Both SA should be working towards an extension

7 10.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If SA knows they aren’t going to extend DeRozan and therefore this is likely the last year with him as a Spur, what are your thoughts on the best course of action?

If you aren’t willing to invest in DeRozan as your future (no extension) and also aren’t willing to sacrifice the long term to try and win this year (trading the youth + picks for an all star type to pair with LMA and Derozan to make a run this season), what makes the most sense in terms of handling the situation?

What would you like to see SA do based on what we’ve seen both this season and Derozan’s entire tenure as a Spur?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him Dec 15th 12:01. For picks, young players, bad salary attached to another teams' picks, anything really. Next best case scenario is another team offers him a max so he walks, but you get nothing then (still can take on bad salary for picks with that capspace though). Really, any scenario where DD is not a part of the Spurs long-term plans is okay with me. The best asset that the Spurs will get anyways is being rid of the shackles that are the minutes and touches he gets due to his status as the team's "star" at the expense of our many young guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade for draft pick(s) or young player with good potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any reason to not try and get assets for him IF you know he’s not in your future plans vs just letting him walk? Assuming he doesn’t have negative value?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any reason to not try and get assets for him IF you know he’s not in your future plans vs just letting him walk? Assuming he doesn’t have negative value?
    Yes, the Spurs' idealistic belief that he will in fact not walk once a max is offered to him and will give us a "market discount" in a new deal; just like they were trying to convince Kawhi to stay when it was painfully obvious he was out the door already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the Spurs' idealistic belief that he will in fact not walk once a max is offered to him and will give us a "market discount" in a new deal; just like they were trying to convince Kawhi to stay when it was painfully obvious he was out the door already.
    That’s interesting. So you seem to think SA believes in Derozan as the future and fit but the disagreement is simply over the price tag?

That makes sense. It’s definitely something to consider.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's suited to play the Patty Mills role. I'm pretty sure he would not be ok with that.

So the best option is to trade him. The Spurs still need a 3 and D guy and no one on the roster fits the bill. Either draft one or trade for one another team is not optimizing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would trade for him though? He's an out of date guard who doesn't shoot 3's. I mean, I think someone would be interested if he played the 6th man role. But I don't think he would want that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would trade for him though? He's an out of date guard who doesn't shoot 3's. I mean, I think someone would be interested if he played the 6th man role. But I don't think he would want that.
    at this point the prospect of not sinking 30 mil+/yr into this buffoon is appealing on its own. getting a couple of draft picks or a midlevel player is a nice bonus.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of depends what happens this month IMO. With the Spurs a game and a half out of a playoff seed it probably isn't time to blow it up yet if the team can show some improvement the rest of the month. But I do think December should be this team's last chance. If they still suck in January then blow it all up and beg RC to be in charge of the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure what to make of his sudden 3 point shooting. 5 for 10 over the last 4 games. If he can shoot a decent percentage on 2.5 plus attempts per contest he does become more valuable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One vote for reality: he will play out his contact. Pafto have no appe e to take back other teams trash and still like derzn as a player.

Fantasy is " trade him for young players" that's so dumb as to be disqualifying. Cleanest way to a rebuild is through the draft whether it's a true tank or a slow rebuild.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play out contract. Let him walk. The closer we reach the trade deadline, the less value he will have because his contract is up. I doubt they will get a competent return for demar that doesn't involve getting back a bad contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FO should certainly be shopping him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what the best course of action would be with DDR.
    Each scenario is equally arguable. The fact that he is suddenly shooting 3’s might indicate that he’s working to secure that extension or upping his trade value.

I find it difficult to imagine that he would bring back something that we need in a trade. Tough call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of depends what happens this month IMO. With the Spurs a game and a half out of a playoff seed it probably isn't time to blow it up yet if the team can show some improvement the rest of the month. But I do think December should be this team's last chance. If they still suck in January then blow it all up and beg RC to be in charge of the draft.
    So you’re of the opinion, that making the playoffs this year, even if you know that you don’t want him another year (Hence the no extension) is worth it vs getting a first round pick for him?

I think this is the real crux of the question. When does just eeking into the playoffs not outweigh doing what is optimal for the future?

Even if you knew for sure you could make the playoffs, is that reason enough to not trade Derozan (assuming of course you can get something positive for him) knowing he’s gone next year and you have no desire to keep him?
    Last edited by DPG21920; 12-09-2019 at 03:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what the best course of action would be with DDR.
    Each scenario is equally arguable. The fact that he is suddenly shooting 3’s might indicate that he’s working to secure that extension or upping his trade value.

I find it difficult to imagine that he would bring back something that we need in a trade. Tough call.
    So that was part of the assumption: that 1) we know Sa isn’t extending him and 2) he has positive value.

We know SA would let him walk if they couldn’t trade him for something positive. But the real question, to me at least, is let’s assume SA can make the playoffs but we know they aren’t a legit threat for anything. Is that worth not getting a first round pick for Derozan now?

If you aren’t really going to go for more with Derozan (add to LMA and Derozan) when is it the best to move him (or not at all because you want to fight for the 7th or 8th seed)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play out contract. Let him walk. The closer we reach the trade deadline, the less value he will have because his contract is up. I doubt they will get a competent return for demar that doesn't involve getting back a bad contract.
    What does that say if you truly believe NO ONE values Derozan positively? You really think Sa traded for a player that no other team values at all?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One vote for reality: he will play out his contact. Pafto have no appe e to take back other teams trash and still like derzn as a player.

Fantasy is " trade him for young players" that's so dumb as to be disqualifying. Cleanest way to a rebuild is through the draft whether it's a true tank or a slow rebuild.
    I think everyone knows you aren’t getting an all star caliber young player for Derozan, but expiring deals + a pick? Even if Sa gets a player with a fully guaranteed deal next season where Derozan would be cleared off the books, would that matter? Would they be players in FA next year anyways?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think DeRozan fits in other systems, and other teams will value him as such.

The problem with his fit in San Antonio boils down to two factors: LaMarcus Aldridge and poor defensive talent.

First, LaMarcus and DeRozan both play antiquated, mid-range ball...a team can survive one such player who thrives that way, but when your two highest usage players do, it's hard to survive in this three-happy version of the NBA.

Secondly, the team just has too many sub-par defenders to hide DeRozan's own sub-par defense. It's why we are sitting at the bottom of the barrel in basically every defensive category right now.

Simply put, the makeup of the team wasn't really built for DeMar when he came in, and we've seen the results. That said, I still don't think he is worth keeping and trying to build the team around him.

The biggest problem I see with trading him is his player option, so you have to find a suitor that is either looking for a rental, an expiring contract, or believes he will stick around. That, it itself, is going to hurt his already tainted trade value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure what to make of his sudden 3 point shooting. 5 for 10 over the last 4 games. If he can shoot a decent percentage on 2.5 plus attempts per contest he does become more valuable.
    wow i didn't realize he had shot that many 3's in this recent span. i hope he keeps it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Max him now, need my jersey to get its bang for the buck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think DeRozan fits in other systems, and other teams will value him as such.

The problem with his fit in San Antonio boils down to two factors: LaMarcus Aldridge and poor defensive talent.

First, LaMarcus and DeRozan both play antiquated, mid-range ball...a team can survive one such player who thrives that way, but when your two highest usage players do, it's hard to survive in this three-happy version of the NBA.

Secondly, the team just has too many sub-par defenders to hide DeRozan's own sub-par defense. It's why we are sitting at the bottom of the barrel in basically every defensive category right now.

Simply put, the makeup of the team wasn't really built for DeMar when he came in, and we've seen the results. That said, I still don't think he is worth keeping and trying to build the team around him.

The biggest problem I see with trading him is his player option, so you have to find a suitor that is either looking for a rental, an expiring contract, or believes he will stick around. That, it itself, is going to hurt his already tainted trade value.
    Optimal return for a poor/mediocre player is obtained when he is on an expiring contract. Optimal value for a good/excellent player is obtained when he is on a long-term contract. Dumbmar, unfortunately is neither fish nor foul. He is a good player on an expiring contract. That made last season the optimal time for the Spurs to trade him. Unfortunately, his status this season makes things very tricky for the Spurs. They must find a team that values Dumbmar and is convinced it can re-sign him. They must explore every option along these lines. (I really don't know how many options like that are out there. And I really don't see any contender valuing Dumbmar strictly as a rental.) If they fail to find a suitable trade partner, then taking back a bad contract and a low pick may not be as good a return as letting him walk and rolling the dice in free agency next season.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you’re of the opinion, that making the playoffs this year, even if you know that you don’t want him another year (Hence the no extension) is worth it vs getting a first round pick for him?

I think this is the real crux of the question. When does just eeking into the playoffs not outweigh doing what is optimal for the future?

Even if you knew for sure you could make the playoffs, is that reason enough to not trade Derozan (assuming of course you can get something positive for him) knowing he’s gone next year and you have no desire to keep him?
    I have cooled off on the draft pick route since RC isn't the GM any more. RC making draft picks was the entire reason I had wanted to tank, but that compe ive advantage is gone if it's Wright making the picks. I think a good first round pick is a pipe dream in exchange for DeRozan on an expiring contract, and a pick in the 20s isn't all that valuable and could probably be had cheaper. If the team starts playing decent just keep going and see what kind of offers DeRozan gets. If the team keeps sucking then dump him for whatever assets you can use to rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have cooled off on the draft pick route since RC isn't the GM any more. RC making draft picks was the entire reason I had wanted to tank, but that compe ive advantage is gone if it's Wright making the picks. I think a good first round pick is a pipe dream in exchange for DeRozan on an expiring contract, and a pick in the 20s isn't all that valuable and could probably be had cheaper. If the team starts playing decent just keep going and see what kind of offers DeRozan gets. If the team keeps sucking then dump him for whatever assets you can use to rebuild.
    Are you an actual Baseline Bum?

Thread Information