Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Interesting...so the NBA did confirm that the refs even misapplied the challenge rule, and still denied the replay.

LOL Silver straight up just called out the Rockets for choking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Full statement by NBA:

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have zero sympathies for the Rockets and their fans. It's not like they didn't benefit from an OBJECTIVE background violation call that led to a 3 pointer and Harden hooking his arms onto defenders on every drive every game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    crofl - you Rockets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D'Antonio keep catching L's from the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eat a Houston

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting...so the NBA did confirm that the refs even misapplied the challenge rule, and still denied the replay.
    Every dog gets one free bite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dantoni can't get past pop! I remember pop had a similar situation in the early 2000s with getting past the zen master phil jackson, losing I believe something like 6 or 10 in a row in the playoffs, but finally and gloriously beating them in 2003 (insert derek fisher crying on the bench)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Silver goes complete Wayne Campbell on the Rockettes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that explanation by Silver is so incredible

”Y’all choked a 22 point lead away against a lottery team. Eat all of that L you en led s.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D'Antonio keep catching L's from the Spurs
    You know he hates losing to Pop. Its so much fun to watch D'Antoni blow a gasket.

I wonder how the refs were "disciplined".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know he hates losing to Pop. Its so much fun to watch D'Antoni blow a gasket.

I wonder how the refs were "disciplined".
    Probably like a 10 day suspension with pay.

Or as the rest of us call it, a vacation...just how we "punish" our law enforcement officers

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. The worst of all possible worlds. They admit that the refs misapplied the rule, but deny the protest. They should just get rid of the ability to protest altogether. I'm glad the Spurs won, and I always like to see D'Antoni cry. But if Pringles asked for the challenge and they just didn't give it to him, the system isn't worth a . Might as well not have it. They're making it up as they go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. The worst of all possible worlds. They admit that the refs misapplied the rule, but deny the protest. They should just get rid of the ability to protest altogether. I'm glad the Spurs won, and I always like to see D'Antoni cry. But if Pringles asked for the challenge and they just didn't give it to him, the system isn't worth a . Might as well not have it. They're making it up as they go.
    On one hand, the league acknowledged that multiple rules were misapplied...not only that the basket obviously should have counted, but that it sounds like the refs ed up the challenge ruling as well.

On the other hand, it would be insane to wipe the 77 points that were scored after that point off the board for 2 points that weren't put up, including a huge comeback by the Spurs and two overtimes.

And in their back pocket, the Spurs had the fact that the Rockets scored at least 4 points on other situations where the refs "misapplied the rules" (Westbrook's over-and-back, and Harden catching the ball out of bounds).

It's one thing if it's a couple minutes to replay and the 2 points obviously an unequivocally affected the end result...but there is no way to clearly state that one way or the other in this situation. The league obviously doesn't want to get into that Pandora's box of what-ifs.

As most of us expected, they will adjust the review and challenges rule in the summer, and consider this a done deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...the system isn't worth a . Might as well not have it. They're making it up as they go.
    well duh, just like the whole flop rule they never uphold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    b-but they’re gonna replay the game in April

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On one hand, the league acknowledged that multiple rules were misapplied...not only that the basket obviously should have counted, but that it sounds like the refs ed up the challenge ruling as well.

On the other hand, it would be insane to wipe the 77 points that were scored after that point off the board for 2 points that weren't put up, including a huge comeback by the Spurs and two overtimes.

And in their back pocket, the Spurs had the fact that the Rockets scored at least 4 points on other situations where the refs "misapplied the rules" (Westbrook's over-and-back, and Harden catching the ball out of bounds).

It's one thing if it's a couple minutes to replay and the 2 points obviously an unequivocally affected the end result...but there is no way to clearly state that one way or the other in this situation. The league obviously doesn't want to get into that Pandora's box of what-ifs.

As most of us expected, they will adjust the review and challenges rule in the summer, and consider this a done deal.

Silver didn't want to open the Pandora's Box of challenges. Uphold one and more will start popping up, with teams saying, "This one is just like that one."

I was surprised that they admitted that the refs had misapplied, but they didn't have any choice. Turns out, that 30-second window only applies when the other team calls the timeout, or if it's a commercial timeout. The Rockets were the ones who called the timeout, so that 30-second bit didn't even apply. They just refused to acknowledge the challenge. There was no way for Silver to get around that. I understand overcoming a bad call - but they put a challenge system in so teams wouldn't have to overcome a bad call like that, and they refused to use it.

The real bull is that he said there was "sufficient time" to overcome it. I wonder how much time is sufficient? Three minutes? Six? We don't know, because there isn't a rule - it's just Silver making up as he goes. That's bush league. I know a lot of people don't care because it helped the Spurs and hurt D'Antoni. But if the shoe was on the other foot, they would be screaming bloody murder.

Get rid of challenges, get rid of protests, and get rid of Silver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    b-but they’re gonna replay the game in April

See, the thing is I can live with that. You're still a got.

And just to be clear, got - I was clear that was my guess, that IF they upheld the protest, that's how they would do it. You're not just a got, you're an illiterate got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure the refs will completely forget about this in the post season...so dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See, the thing is I can live with that. You're still a got.

And just to be clear, got - I was clear that was my guess, that IF they upheld the protest, that's how they would do it. You're not just a got, you're an illiterate got.
    nah you’re just a ing re who wrote pages about the game being replayed in April

youre gonna write an essay reply to this post like the stupid mother er you are

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know a lot of people don't care because it helped the Spurs and hurt D'Antoni. But if the shoe was on the other foot, they would be screaming bloody murder.
    I don't disagree with you there. I don't blame Rocket fans for being pissed...I'd be pissed too if I were them.

That said, the Rockets are easily the most ref-coddled team in the league. Harden's game relies on him bending the rules to send him to the line. He shot 24 goddamn free throws, and we know that not all of those were "genuine" fouls.

Spurs got 2 clear points by the refs. Rockets got 4 clear points by the refs. But they also want to ignore the other missed calls because "that's a judgement call" while clinging to "a made basket is a made basket".
    It all comes out in the wash. I sure as am not going to lose any sleep over it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    clutchfans is so assblasted

Well this is trash. They were all yelling to review. I hate the NBA, but I continue to watch.

What a trash league..
    What an absolutely disgraceful ruling by the NBA.
    So the league admitted they screwed up and then denied their request anyway because the Rockets had a chance to overcome the league's error. There must be A LOT of leeway in the arbitration process for the league to do what it wants. What is the point of a protest if the league can admit they are wrong and rule in favor of themselves anyway? Kind of a pointless exercise and thanks for another 24 hours of the hot take cycle laughing at Houston.....ugh - hate this ****.
    The Rockets should seriously sue the NBA over this, just to prove a point. This is a serious misapplication of the NBA by-laws.
    refs were just rehearsing the fckery they will unleash on the Rockets come playoff time

refs were “disciplined” because more attention was brought to their plot than was initially anticipated

if the Rockets ever win a le, they will truly have overcome all the odds
    I can't find words to express how enraged I am about this. What are protests good for then??? It's hard to find a situation better fitting for a protest and replaying the last 8 minutes of the game.
    "we're gonna sue the nba!!"

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a loss for the Spurs.

Every win could push them deeper in the draft. It is going to take two or three years or more of top draft picks to turn the team around. The only way the Spurs are going to get better is through the draft. Forget about trades. The Spurs are too conservative to make them and forget about getting any star additions in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two minutes is probably what the NBA would consider to be sufficient time in cases like this one. With things like reviewing shot-clock plays and free throws, the league will wait until a timeout unless it's under two minutes. If it is, they'll stop and review it immediately. My guess about that would be because they don't think anything under that would be enough time to adjust to all of the sudden being down one or two more points that initially were on the board. Seven minutes to overcome two points is plenty sufficient -- to the point that the NBA didn't feel the need to mention the limit. That doesn't make the mistake any less of an issue for refs. But it does mean it would be worse to replay it.

The crazy thing is just how obvious it was that it wasn't going to be replayed and how many people still for some stupid reason thought it would be.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The front office has a history of building teams through the draft and have not shown the ability to do it any other way.

Thread Information