Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as I said millionaires are a dime a dozen these days and due to inflation this will only increase

but billionaire? thats filth. we arr talking about a thousand times a millionaire

nobody needs that money nobody deserves a billion dollars

rob them

I don't get how people can say someone "deserves" or "doesn't deserve" money like they're omnipotent, infallible superior beings who pass final judgement.

But then again...you always be "callin det ", so I dunno.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This tbh. No one needs a billion dollars, but a million is really not that much money.

I’m assuming OP doesn’t make over 30k if he thinks a million dollars is some astronomical number
    What's the assumption here tho? If you're going to blow it all, yeah $1M is gone after a home and a car, but if you draw a mill as your annual salary, that's plenty of financial security beyond necessity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the assumption here tho? If you're going to blow it all, yeah $1M is gone after a home and a car, but if you draw a mill as your annual salary, that's plenty of financial security beyond necessity.
    Is it though? Suppose one becomes disabled? Or maybe someone wants to save and purchase a business.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it though? Suppose one becomes disabled? Or maybe someone wants to save and purchase a business.
    If you make $1 million a year and can't qualify for a biz loan...you ed up. If you can't afford insurance and health care for your loved on at $1 million a year,you might be irresponsible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you make $1 million a year and can't qualify for a biz loan...you ed up. If you can't afford insurance and health care for your loved on at $1 million a year,you might be irresponsible.
    So you're forcing someone to get a loan. And as to the disability, I'm talking about someone relatively young that becomes disabled and can't work again.

I think my main point being that it's a pretty low cap and there are plenty of situations where someone could get screwed.

Does this $1,000,000 also apply to capital gains? I don't know how that could even work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get how people can say someone "deserves" or "doesn't deserve" money like they're omnipotent, infallible superior beings who pass final judgement.

thats my opinion. noone not even jesus deserves a billion

im for taxing over 10 million at 100% rate tbqh. and adjust yearly for inflation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're forcing someone to get a loan. And as to the disability, I'm talking about someone relatively young that becomes disabled and can't work again.

I think my main point being that it's a pretty low cap and there are plenty of situations where someone could get screwed.

Does this $1,000,000 also apply to capital gains? I don't know how that could even work.
    OK, don't take a loan. If you make $1m per and can't save to open a business, you're living habits need adjusting so you can save. Fairly simple.

Disability policies are cheap. Even Andy can afford one. If you're making $1m, you'd think that's a given. This person needs a financial advisor. How'd he get so far in life to be able to make $1m a year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, don't take a loan. If you make $1m per and can't save to open a business, you're living habits need adjusting so you can save. Fairly simple.

Disability policies are cheap. Even Andy can afford one. If you're making $1m, you'd think that's a given. This person needs a financial advisor. How'd he get so far in life to be able to make $1m a year?
    There's a load of stuff not covered by disability. We'll have to agree to disagree on all this. I don't want to keep having to come up with to back up my hypothetical scenario.
    I'll agree that for the large majority of situations, most people would be OK.

I can just see instances where someone would come out on the wrong side of things.

What about the small business owner who is making around $1,000,000? Where's his incentive to expand?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What about the small business owner who is making around $1,000,000? Where's his incentive to expand?
    From first hand knowledge, it depends where you want to expand, how large? Does he need more employees? Does he want to stay under 50 employees to avoid massive benefits costs? What does this business owner do? How much will his worker's comp go up? If he wants to expand, he'll have to increase marketing to keep demand high to justify expansion. It's a lot of .

Expansion isn't cheap and there are deterrents that prevent some owners from taking that next leap. Case in point, we moved EVERYTHING to Boise and besides myself and two other Management holdovers, all of our employees are in Boise now. We closed the CA corp down. California makes it nearly unprofitable to have a business out here if you want to hire actual people with functioning brains. The silly minimum wage increases founded on almost no research, ruined the job market in the smaller areas that can't sustain those wages.

Lo and behold, just the full move, with the tax savings alone is going to be an extra 10 points on margins this year. We're able to give our agents better wages and everything that was figured into the comp plan in Cali is figured into our ID employee comp plan and productivity is higher as well this year. Attendance is much better as well. Crazy how much just moving over the state border can make or break a biz.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agreed 1000% about billionaires

but millionaires???

a million is chump change tbqh

my house is already about a mil

come on now
    One thing I might agree with you on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not a question of knowledge.

A question of morality.

How much wealth does one person truly need, especially when there are people dying from simple lack of health care in the US?

How fair should the country be?

Lets say that one person controls all the wealth in the US. Is this a good thing?

Dunno. "fair" and "equitable" are hard concepts to pin down.,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone in here should aspire to be millionaires by the time they retire unless they want to be eating cat food and sleeping in a tent for their "golden years".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a stupid thread to put on a sports forum. Sycophancy enables the vast majority of ill-gotten wealth.

Everyone who complains about "corporate" millionaires and billionaires probably obeys social norms and glorifies celebrities, athletes and can't stop buying the stuff that creates the "corporate" rich boys they claim to loathe, but are directly responsible for their creation. It's Murican hypocrisy 101.

"They got the money. I can't stop giving them my money " pretty much.
    Meh, I have much more respect for corporate profits made out of tangible goods, with risk taking, than fee-based or tax subsidized profits, with basically very minimal or no risk.

I understand the latter is much more preferable than the former for the investor, but the latter is what creates huge wealth inequalities, and how we end up on a system where in theory everybody has the same opportunity to raise to the top, but in practice there’s very specific socioeconomic factors that shoot up or down the odds, that go well beyond mere education.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Focus on the unequal distribution.
    Its a sign of a sick system that will eventually crumble.

A fair discussion on wealth distribution, what is considered unhealthy and why.
    And it’s wealth, not necessarily income.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone in here should aspire to be millionaires by the time they retire unless they want to be eating cat food and sleeping in a tent for their "golden years".
    Stay healthy as possible, die quickly, no lingering.
    The likelyhood of this increases with good health.
    People need to move their fckn body much more.
    People need to know how to take care of their body.

The above would be a huge boost to financial well-being for most and actually allow insurance to work.
    Bad genetics and accidents will still happen. But taking most of the population out of the vicious cycle of in and out of hospitals at old age, ... Huge help.

An lack of education is the root problem yet again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One needs approximately 2M at a minimum for that.

Almost no one has that. Even few your age have that.

The rich have stilted the tax code to allow themselves to ac ulate vast sums of money that they or their descendants will never be able to spend, ever.

How many old people are you willing to let die because they can't afford air conditioning, or simple medication?
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 12-12-2019 at 02:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, I have much more respect for corporate profits made out of tangible goods, with risk taking, than fee-based or tax subsidized profits, with basically very minimal or no risk.

I understand the latter is much more preferable than the former for the investor, but the latter is what creates huge wealth inequalities, and how we end up on a system where in theory everybody has the same opportunity to raise to the top, but in practice there’s very specific socioeconomic factors that shoot up or down the odds, that go well beyond mere education.
    I don't have a problem with corporations making profits per se.

I do have a problem with most of those profits flowing to a few hundred people. I do have a problem with those profits coming at the expense of the employees generating them.

I do have a problem with the profits made by, and going to protecting monopolies, duopolies, monopsonies, and cartels, that foster and stifle compe ion, i.e. the failures of the free market that increasingly dominate our economy.

I am going to bet that almost everybody who reads this post will have to look up the word monopsony. Once you look it up Think Walmart. Think chicken processors. If you don't know about the latter... well watch Last Week Tonight more, it's bloody brilliant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well sure, not all millionaires draw a million a year though. Theoretically though, yes if you make 1 mill a year you should be able to live pretty comfortably, even if living somewhere like CA or NYC

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This argument always frustrates me. The millionaires and even billionaires are not the elite and certainly not the enemy, so who is? You should look deeper into that question and not look just anywhere for answers. The truth is very hard to find.

Why is there a wealth discrepency? You have to first study how "money" is created and distributed and who does it. This is where the real theft lies and it is supported by both republicans and democrats, so forget pointing the finger across the isles.

Taking from the millionaires only increases the distance between classes and is only addressing the symptom. As someone already stated, you had better get 1M before retiring or you will be broke... He's referring to inflation, and that is the hidden tax on ALL of us. Again, you can blame this on those that create our fiat currency. It should be congress that controls our currency as stated in the cons ution, but that never gets brought up because thats a no no and oh yeah the cons ution is old and antiquated.

Once you begin to understand money and how it is created as well as the history behind it, you begin to understand why we have war, famine, poverty etc.. At least in my opinion it has made more sense and explains a lot as to how we got here. It also causes me to shake my head when I see all the attention toward impeachments, Clinton emails, and being "woke". It's minutia. It means nothing. To think that our presidents have our best interests at heart is completely insane. This is a big show with very little impactful outcome either way. Presidents answer to only a few and you can sure as bet its not the millionaires and billionaires.

You can be sure of three things with any repub or dem in office. The national debt will increase (if not double) with each term, government will grow, and we will have war. We will continue to be divided on so many fronts: class, race, gender, gay marriage, govt spending, religion, you name it. It solves nothing. Social issues are the least of our issues. As long as we continue to at each other, we will fall deeper into serfdom.

Its funny, but I listen to both liberals and conservatives and deep down they really want the same things. They just cant stop listening to narratives that keep them trapped in the matrix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This argument always frustrates me. The millionaires and even billionaires are not the elite and certainly not the enemy, so who is?
    Bull .

The hyperwealthy are the clear enemy. The money they use to fund politics in this country infect and corrupt every decision the government makes. They hyper wealthy for the most part do not give two s about anyone with less money, and even less s for people who can't afford the basics.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull .

The hyperwealthy are the clear enemy. The money they use to fund politics in this country infect and corrupt every decision the government makes. They hyper wealthy for the most part do not give two s about anyone with less money, and even less s for people who can't afford the basics.
    i agree, but the ones reallly in charge and control our govt are not the millionaires. They are the trilliinaires and really the amount they make is a moot issue, because this is monopoly, they are the bankers, and can do as they please. The guy that starts a pressure washing business from a HS education, gets contracts with whatburger and other chain restaurants for pressure washing their parking lots, grows the business and sells it for over 1M. Is he really an enemy? No, not only did he make it on his own, but he made it in a market that is not entirely free and is full of regulations and taxation. The hyper rich really are not even the bill gates or warren buffets. They are just another link in the chain of command. Play by the rules and you keep your fortune.

Your have to lose the hostility and knee jerk reactions. You can’t paint the wealthy with a broad guilty brush. It’s way more complex than that. The millionaires and even billionaires are still below the level that runs this country, and the corporate media is more than happy for the masses to believe they are to blame. It’s how they divide and conquer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull .

Do you have Netflix's? Suggest you watch a series called something like "inside Bill Gates brain". Its pretty illuminating even for a hater like you.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree, but the ones reallly in charge and control our govt are not the millionaires. They are the trilliinaires and really the amount they make is a moot issue, because this is monopoly, they are the bankers, and can do as they please.

Your have to lose the hostility and knee jerk reactions. You can’t paint the wealthy with a broad guilty brush. It’s way more complex than that. The millionaires and even billionaires are still below the level that runs this country, and the corporate media is more than happy for the masses to believe they are to blame. It’s how they divide and conquer.
    The Corbett Report - Century of Enslavement The History of The Federal Reserve

The Rothschilds Family - The Men Who Saved Europe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This argument always frustrates me. The millionaires and even billionaires are not the elite and certainly not the enemy, so who is? You should look deeper into that question and not look just anywhere for answers. The truth is very hard to find.

Why is there a wealth discrepency? You have to first study how "money" is created and distributed and who does it. This is where the real theft lies and it is supported by both republicans and democrats, so forget pointing the finger across the isles.

Taking from the millionaires only increases the distance between classes and is only addressing the symptom. As someone already stated, you had better get 1M before retiring or you will be broke... He's referring to inflation, and that is the hidden tax on ALL of us. Again, you can blame this on those that create our fiat currency. It should be congress that controls our currency as stated in the cons ution, but that never gets brought up because thats a no no and oh yeah the cons ution is old and antiquated.

Once you begin to understand money and how it is created as well as the history behind it, you begin to understand why we have war, famine, poverty etc.. At least in my opinion it has made more sense and explains a lot as to how we got here. It also causes me to shake my head when I see all the attention toward impeachments, Clinton emails, and being "woke". It's minutia. It means nothing. To think that our presidents have our best interests at heart is completely insane. This is a big show with very little impactful outcome either way. Presidents answer to only a few and you can sure as bet its not the millionaires and billionaires.

You can be sure of three things with any repub or dem in office. The national debt will increase (if not double) with each term, government will grow, and we will have war. We will continue to be divided on so many fronts: class, race, gender, gay marriage, govt spending, religion, you name it. It solves nothing. Social issues are the least of our issues. As long as we continue to at each other, we will fall deeper into serfdom.

Its funny, but I listen to both liberals and conservatives and deep down they really want the same things. They just cant stop listening to narratives that keep them trapped in the matrix.
    ^ this is a fairly boilerplate ignoramus argument. Basically, when you don't understand how economics work, just put the blame on some grand conspiracy.

You need to take an economics 101 class urgently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The original question is ed up. There are ten-thousand-some-odd millionaires in the US today. Most of that money is first generation, saved up and invested over a working lifetime. Most of those people made average, or slightly above average incomes. Invested well, a 1mil dollar investment will create around 100k a year in interest to live off of. And that's not counting the value of one's home, or any real estate investments they have. Now how can somebody say that those people don't deserve something they worked so long and hard to achieve?

I realize the discussion moved toward the upper-echelon-billionaires... but to say that nobody needs a million dollar plus net worth is ridiculous. If you retire in your 60s and live another thirty years or so, you better hope that you're a millionaire.

Thread Information