Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ this is a fairly boilerplate ignoramus argument. Basically, when you don't understand how economics work, just put the blame on some grand conspiracy.

You need to take an economics 101 class urgently.
    well then please enlighten me. When a private ins ution is granted to create our currency, loan it to us (with interest), and not required to have any reserve.... what is wrong with that assessment?

I use use to watch the corporate media and get caught up in these silly arguments until I felt like it didn’t make any sense and there had to be something that provides a better explanation... so please, tell me how it really works.

Lets pretend I am totally wrong.....why not take a little more diplomatic approach. Instead of insulting me, why not give me an explanation of why you feel I am an “ignoramus”. Wouldn’t you want me to see what you see? We all have different experiences and backgrounds. You may know a lot more than me, but perhaps I have experienced things that you have not. I am not “against you”, or anyone else in this forum...

I have learned one thing in life: you can not trust the media or formal education to teach you how the world works. Economics you say? Let’s apply simple economics 101 to currency. Supply and demand. The dollar “the world reserve currency. Backed by nothing except our military and the need to purchase oil. Creating the dollar sounds like a monopoly on currency. Does it not? How am I wrong? We have been told that the world economy is far too complex for us to understand and we should simply hand it over to the professionals. I don’t buy it .

Insults in this forum are a dime a dozen. Bring a real take

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well then please enlighten me. When a private ins ution is granted to create our currency, loan it to us (with interest), and not required to have any reserve.... what is wrong with that assessment?

I use use to watch the corporate media and get caught up in these silly arguments until I felt like it didn’t make any sense and there had to be something that provides a better explanation... so please, tell me how it really works.

Lets pretend I am totally wrong.....why not take a little more diplomatic approach. Instead of insulting me, why not give me an explanation of why you feel I am an “ignoramus”. Wouldn’t you want me to see what you see? We all have different experiences and backgrounds. You may know a lot more than me, but perhaps I have experienced things that you have not. I am not “against you”, or anyone else in this forum...

I have learned one thing in life: you can not trust the media or formal education to teach you how the world works. Economics you say? Let’s apply simple economics 101 to currency. Supply and demand. The dollar “the world reserve currency. Backed by nothing except our military and the need to purchase oil. Creating the dollar sounds like a monopoly on currency. Does it not? How am I wrong? We have been told that the world economy is far too complex for us to understand and we should simply hand it over to the professionals. I don’t buy it .

The Truth About Money

Pretty much how the Federal Reserve works and money in general tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, really, I didn't call you ignoramus as an insult. You really don't know what you're talking about, that's what really comes across pretty quickly, at least on your original post. You sound like a proud mechanic trying to make sense of a nuclear reactor. It just won't work out without the whole ole physics education, etc.

I can spend countless hours and posts explaining why almost every Central Bank in the whole world is largely an independent en y, and why that is important (among other things, to avoid the whims of political power du jour), and I can explain what inflation is (which is integral to understanding how a fiat economy functions, why low inflation like in the US is good for an economy, boosts credit, which in turn boosts employment, produces growth, etc etc etc). Why high inflation is bad, why depression is bad, what role GDP plays. What are terms like the velocity of money, and why they matter in the context of any economy. We can go over the differences between sovereign currency vs non-sovereign currency, why that is important wrt the debt, and why the US has been in a very fortunate position since WW2. Why a country's economy is nothing like a household economy. What's the difference between different macroeconomic schools of thought (Keynesianism, Monetarism, Austrian, etc) and theories of money, etc.

There's just too much to cover, and I truly don't have the time. I'll recommend a couple of books, in case you're the reading kind and truly have an interest in the topic:

This one is a bit older, but still a great introduction to economics:
    https://www.amazon.com/Economics-One.../dp/0517548232

This other one is also a good starting point, but it's more centered around the economists more representative of the different approaches to macroeconomics:
    https://www.amazon.com/What-Would-Gr.../dp/B077F3ZNR9

I should also mention scott hasn't posted in a while here, but if you can dig up some of this old posts and discussions from many years ago, he's an actual economics teacher, and as any really good teacher, had the ability to explain some of the more complex topics in layman's terms. An ability I don't posses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Truth About Money

Pretty much how the Federal Reserve works and money in general tbh...
    David Icke... right off. More whackadoodle bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have Netflix's? Suggest you watch a series called something like "inside Bill Gates brain". Its pretty illuminating even for a hater like you.

I suggest you watch this. Pretty illuminating, even for an apologist like you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree, but the ones reallly in charge and control our govt are not the millionaires. They are the trilliinaires and really the amount they make is a moot issue, because this is monopoly, they are the bankers, and can do as they please. The guy that starts a pressure washing business from a HS education, gets contracts with whatburger and other chain restaurants for pressure washing their parking lots, grows the business and sells it for over 1M. Is he really an enemy? No, not only did he make it on his own, but he made it in a market that is not entirely free and is full of regulations and taxation. The hyper rich really are not even the bill gates or warren buffets. They are just another link in the chain of command. Play by the rules and you keep your fortune.

Your have to lose the hostility and knee jerk reactions. You can’t paint the wealthy with a broad guilty brush. It’s way more complex than that. The millionaires and even billionaires are still below the level that runs this country, and the corporate media is more than happy for the masses to believe they are to blame. It’s how they divide and conquer.
    They aren't "the bankers". They are the people who own the banks.

There are no trillionaires.

Millionaires are fairly common.

Billionaires are the hyperwealthy. Once you get above 100M, that pretty much means you now have more money than you will ever use.

You seem to have the mis-impression that people can be self-made these days. The data we have on how "sticky" poverty says that is an exception rather than the rule.

Working hard at low wages, just means you are working two or three jobs, and you will never ac ulate enough wealth to actually move up in income. Poverty is expensive.

Try answering this question:

How "sticky" is poverty in the US? The real answer will surprise you, i.e. "very". Happy to back that up, with a LOT of data.

The upward mobility is a myth, useful for the hyperwealthy as it offers a tantalizing hope that gets useful idiots (poor rural voters) that watch too much Fox news or listen to various right wing radio shows.

Capitalism and free-markets have people that worship them as if it is some sort of inerrant deity. That dogma is dangerous. Free-markets have plenty of failures.

When you hear people talking about free-markets as if it can do no wrong, think back to what is said here, particularly about the strawman segment:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have Netflix's? Suggest you watch a series called something like "inside Bill Gates brain". Its pretty illuminating even for a hater like you.
    Case in point.

Let's get at your dogma.

Are people poor because they make bad decisions?

Or do people make bad decisions because they are poor?

What is the causal connection?

How do you know?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The dollar “the world reserve currency. Backed by nothing except our military and the need to purchase oil.
    The dollar is the reserve currency because after WW2 our economy was the only one really undamaged by the war. We had a stable, transparent monetary policy, and kept politics out of it for the most part.

The dollar then became the reserve currency because there was a demand for something like it, and a real cost to changing to something else.

Bit of a huge tome, but you might benefit from reading this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...-First_Century

Thread Information